PDA

View Full Version : More good news!

BlueStreak
04-21-2012, 08:00 PM
But, sadly, some of you won't see it that way.

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/21/151117449/the-export-boom-whos-buying-american?sc=fb&cc=fp

Dave

painter
04-21-2012, 08:10 PM
It's an election year. All of a sudden...the sun comes out and we have a picnic.
Sorry...I am so tired of hearing the latest statistics on this or that. I just may skip the election completely.

bobabode
04-21-2012, 08:23 PM
The last paragraph summed it up well. It's outrageous that we have education and healthcare so low on our list of priorities. It's a chickenbone in the throat for many on the right though, how could the CIC have accomplished anything positive? 30% increase in exports? Seems like a change for the better to me. ;)

BlueStreak
04-21-2012, 09:07 PM
It's an election year. All of a sudden...the sun comes out and we have a picnic.
Sorry...I am so tired of hearing the latest statistics on this or that. I just may skip the election completely.

I'll be there, with whatever ID is required. Heck, if they try to demand a DNA sample, I'll be there. If anyone tries to get between me and the voting booth, I might end up in jail, but I'll try to fight my way into the booth before the cops arrive.

And you can bet your life on that.

Dave

bobabode
04-21-2012, 09:13 PM
It's not only a right, it's an obligation.

BlueStreak
04-21-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm not about to jump on the doom and gloom train either. I don't see the point of all of this negativity and pessimism.

It's nothing but destructive and I think it's deliberate. Like an angry, pouting teenage boy throwing a childish fit because the coach won't let him play first string, and he's convinced himself that only he can win the game.......That's the face of the GOP the last four years.

merrylander
04-22-2012, 07:14 AM

And that is exactly what the negative ads are designed to do, energize the base and turn off the middle so that they will stay home.

painter
04-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Maybe so merrylander...maybe so. My decision to vote will most probably hinge on the VP running mate.

finnbow
04-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Maybe so merrylander...maybe so. My decision to vote will most probably hinge on the VP running mate.

Interesting. The office of VP is commonly referred to as the most useless job in the world.

merrylander
04-22-2012, 09:28 AM
Wasn't it Alben Barkley, FDR's Veep, that said the office was not worth a bucket of warm spit.

Oops, he was Truman's Veep.

noonereal
04-22-2012, 10:56 AM

LOL, awesome post!!!:p

painter
04-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Interesting. The office of VP is commonly referred to as the most useless job in the world.

It certainly was this time around. And as I have said on a few occasions...I voted their donkeys in. :D

finnbow
04-22-2012, 11:30 AM
It certainly was this time around. And as I have said on a few occasions...I voted their donkeys in. :D

John Adams -

"The Vice Presidency is the most insignificant office that ever the invention of man contrived or his imagination conceived."

painter
04-22-2012, 12:40 PM
John Adams -

"The Vice Presidency is the most insignificant office that ever the invention of man contrived or his imagination conceived."

IMO its going to take two men two terms to get this country back to what it should be. The following men went from that so called menial office to presidency.

"I am vice president. In this I am nothing, but I may be everything." — John Adams, elected vice president 1788 and 1792.

"The second office of this government is honorable and easy, the first is but a splendid misery." — Thomas Jefferson in 1797, when he was vice president.

BlueStreak
04-22-2012, 01:11 PM
IMO its going to take two men two terms to get this country back to what it should be. The following men went from that so called menial office to presidency.

"I am vice president. In this I am nothing, but I may be everything." — John Adams, elected vice president 1788 and 1792.

"The second office of this government is honorable and easy, the first is but a splendid misery." — Thomas Jefferson in 1797, when he was vice president.

Which is where?

I believe we're aleady on our way to where I want it to be, albeit too slowly. Well, maybe not exactly, where I want it to be. But if we keep building on exports and the growth I'm seeing in manufacturing of late, we're pointed in the right direction. If we start producing again, the debt will get paid down.

Too bad we can't make the right wing fearmongers stop scaring the hell out of everyone, and the oil industry to stop jacking up gas prices, then maybe the recovery would pick up speed.

finnbow
04-22-2012, 01:20 PM
IMO its going to take two men two terms to get this country back to what it should be.

When, exactly, was the country what it should be and why? I personally believe that there's lots of mythology embodied in this POV.

BlueStreak
04-22-2012, 04:19 PM
When, exactly, was the country what it should be and why? I personally believe that there's lots of mythology embodied in this POV.

LOTS and LOTs---Mountains of it in fact. The "Good ol' Days" crap is so deep it's amazing we get any sunlight at all.

finnbow
04-22-2012, 04:31 PM
LOTS and LOTs---Mountains of it in fact. The "Good ol' Days" crap is so deep it's amazing we get any sunlight at all.

I think it's people wistfully conflating their idyllic childhood/adolescence years with no worries/responsibilities with what they (incorrectly) remember as a time when all was hunky dory in the world. Now that they've grown up, they attribute their adult concerns to the negative perceptions about the government and America's status in the world. They're forgetting, of course, that adults in the 50's were doing duck-and-cover drills because of the Soviet menace, racism was rampant, and kids caught polio.

bobabode
04-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Rose colored glasses, indeed. Those nuke drills is grade school (early sixties) were a trip. Place your head firmly between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.;)

BlueStreak
04-22-2012, 04:56 PM
The twenties and thirties were racked with economic volatility, organized crime activity and labor unrest. The fourties ravaged by war and Fascism. The 60's full of social upheaval, anti-war protests and the steady stream of flag draped coffins returning from Vietnam. In the '70s we battled the devastating effects of Disco, crappy cars and terrible interior decorating. In the eighties Saint Ronnie inspired a generation of Gordon Gekko-esque corporate vampires to spend the next thirty years bleeding the country dry of any domestic industry and strong paying jobs in the name of "satisfying" their greed. (As if such a thing is even possible.)

And here we are, Pat. Actually arguing with people as to whether or not a little positive news about an increase in exports and the market being over 13k is a good thing..............................

Did you ever in your life think you would have to engage in such an insane argument?

Dave

finnbow
04-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Did you ever in your life think you would have to engage in such an insane argument?

Dave

Amazingly, the best decade for America in our lifetimes (and probably several decades more) was probably under the tutelage of Slick Willie. No war, relatively low unemployment, a balanced budget, and the stock market was booming. So what did the loyal opposition do? Go the to the brink over a friggin' BJ (while themselves getting their own BJ's from the Callista's of the world). Go figure.

noonereal
04-22-2012, 06:16 PM

well said

painter
04-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Amazingly, the best decade for America in our lifetimes (and probably several decades more) was probably under the tutelage of Slick Willie. No war, relatively low unemployment, a balanced budget, and the stock market was booming. So what did the loyal opposition do? Go the to the brink over a friggin' BJ (while themselves getting their own BJ's from the Callista's of the world). Go figure.

Indeed!

piece-itpete
04-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Exports? I thought the left supported greater tariffs?

Pete

wgrr
04-23-2012, 09:09 PM

Might want to check the authenticity of your Jefferson quote. Not being critical, I have used unsubstantiated Jefferson quotes in my sig line before too.

http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/bad-government-results-too-much-government-quotation

Go out and vote, it is your civic duty. Never drop out. Believe it or not your voice still matters. Maybe :rolleyes:

painter
04-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Might want to check the authenticity of your Jefferson quote. Not being critical, I have used unsubstantiated Jefferson quotes in my sig line before too.

http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/bad-government-results-too-much-government-quotation

Go out and vote, it is your civic duty. Never drop out. Believe it or not your voice still matters. Maybe :rolleyes:

You might want to eliminate am obvious...about voting. :)

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/12/06/opinion/l-for-early-presidents-a-splendid-misery-727814.html

piece-itpete
04-24-2012, 09:12 AM
I like this one:

I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive.

Or

I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious.

Pete

BlueStreak
04-24-2012, 09:44 AM
I like this one:

I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive.

Or

I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious.

Pete

"The more things change, the more they stay the same."?:p

Dave

Charles
04-24-2012, 04:50 PM

Slick got in at the right time, and he got out at the right time. Rather be lucky as good any day.

BTW, Slick was never charged for a receiving a blow job, and he didn't lose his law license because of that charge.

Chas

finnbow
04-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Slick got in at the right time, and he got out at the right time. Rather be lucky as good any day.

BTW, Slick was never charged for a receiving a blow job, and he didn't lose his law license because of that charge.

Chas

Point taken. OTOH, he wouldn't have been put in a position to commit perjury were he not being investigated for said BJ by folks (Livingston, Gingrich) who were doing the same.

Slick Willie was a dumbass sleaze bag for what he did (though it pales in comparison to Iran-Contra). That doesn't negate the fact that his eight years in office were probably the best run we've had as a country since WWII. I suppose it's all relative. After Dubya and Obama, Bubba is looking better all the time.

Charles
04-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Point taken. OTOH, he wouldn't have been put in a position to commit perjury were he not being investigated for said BJ by folks (Livingston, Gingrich) who were doing the same.

Slick Willie was a dumbass sleaze bag for what he did (though it pales in comparison to Iran-Contra). That doesn't negate the fact that his eight years in office were probably the best run we've had as a country since WWII. I suppose it's all relative. After Dubya and Obama, Bubba is looking better all the time.

Well, Slick liked his fuzz. In a way, he's like the SS agent who wouldn't pony up 50 bucks for his whore.

Had he bumped Paula Jones up one click on the Arkansas merit system this would have never happened.

Iran-Contra stunk, but as Henry Kissinger said, "Let's not confuse covert operations with missionary work."

Personally, I figure that they're all about the same. Just because they're in the big chair doesn't mean that they are in charge of anything.

They just take the heat when it all goes to shit.

I gotta bug out. I've been sick for a week and my wife is calling me for supper. I'll try to return when I'm in a more positive mood.

Chas

noonereal
04-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Well, Slick liked his fuzz. In a way, he's like the SS agent who wouldn't pony up 50 bucks for his whore.

it was only 40, a great price I might add

merrylander
04-25-2012, 08:30 AM
Monica did tell a friend that she was going to Washington to earn her Presidential Knee pads.:rolleyes:

BlueStreak
04-25-2012, 10:04 AM
$50! And you know SS agents aren't making minimum wage....What a cheapskate! (Must be a Republican.:p)

Rex E.
04-30-2012, 08:32 PM
This is positive news...what I'd like to see along with it is a commitment to reduce imports at the exact same rate of the increased exports. Specifically Chinese imports.

I'll gladly take the increase in export though.

bobabode
04-30-2012, 09:13 PM

Had he bumped Paula Jones up one click on the Arkansas merit system this would have never happened.

Iran-Contra stunk, but as Henry Kissinger said, "Let's not confuse covert operations with missionary work."

Personally, I figure that they're all about the same. Just because they're in the big chair doesn't mean that they are in charge of anything.

They just take the heat when it all goes to shit.

I gotta bug out. I've been sick for a week and my wife is calling me for supper. I'll try to return when I'm in a more positive mood.

Chas

Take care of your self first, Charlie. Go fishin' that always helps, drown a couple worms. Here's a funny for you, I've got a brother in Tennessee who bought a bunch of bait and released it back into the wild, some buddist thing or such. I'll bet them snappin' turds had a feast. Of course in California they classify such behaviour as chumming and Fish and Game would've fined him..:rolleyes: Come back for some gopher huntin' when you're ready.;)

bobabode
04-30-2012, 09:26 PM
This is positive news...what I'd like to see along with it is a commitment to reduce imports at the exact same rate of the increased exports. Specifically Chinese imports.

The crap in those dollar stores ain't worth forty cents. If even that. I'm all for punitive tariffs when the countries try to dump their junk in our marketplace especially when it hurts our domestic workers and producers. Mainland China is one of the worst in how they treat their own workers. Stringing nets outside of the dormitory buildings to catch the suicide jumpers was one of the craziest things I've seen reported lately.

merrylander
05-01-2012, 07:31 AM
One Chinese import I woul like to see gone are iPhones and iPads. I see now that Apple has a "mail drop" office in the back hall of a building in Vegas. Using that ruse they screw the feds out of a fortune in taxes.

budgetaudio6
05-17-2012, 11:12 PM
you had to quote a government owned radio?

merrylander
05-18-2012, 07:01 AM
Chum you really should seek professional help.

BlueStreak
05-18-2012, 07:39 AM
you had to quote a government owned radio?

It easier than quoting a government owned floor buffer. At least the radio speaks, or....um ....er,,,,Repeats what it hears?

budgetaudio6
05-30-2012, 12:24 AM
well yeah. propaganda is what it is!

bobabode
05-30-2012, 01:24 AM
What was your first clue, budgie? No commercials?:p

merrylander
05-30-2012, 07:59 AM

If you really want to reduce Chinese imports it is quite simple, stay out of wally world and buy American, Canadian or British. Also do what we do, ask the store people in a loud voice "Is this Chinese crap all you have, don't you stock any American products?"

budgetaudio6
05-30-2012, 11:20 PM
If you really want to reduce Chinese imports it is quite simple, stay out of wally world and buy American, Canadian or British. Also do what we do, ask the store people in a loud voice "Is this Chinese crap all you have, don't you stock any Americam products?"

Damn right.

budgetaudio6
06-15-2012, 10:43 PM
If you really want to reduce Chinese imports it is quite simple, stay out of wally world and buy American, Canadian or British. Also do what we do, ask the store people in a loud voice "Is this Chinese crap all you have, don't you stock any American products?"

heheheheh. sorry about the double post. I can just imagine...:P