PDA

View Full Version : And General Motors is alive.

Charles
05-06-2012, 03:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvl5Gan69Wo

Any thoughts?

Chas

bobabode
05-06-2012, 04:04 PM
http://www.vincewadeusa.com/?p=244

He seems to be a reasonable investigative reporter, the above link will take you to his bio.

As to the sloganeering going on ala "OBL is dead GM is alive" it's a bit catchy but politicking as usual. This type of stuff comes along every election cycle, it's no big deal and is to be expected.

President Bush standing on the deck of that U.S. carrier with a huge banner proclaiming "Mission Accomplished!" when that one obviously was an empty statement during that election cycle was the same type of politicking. I think we can understand that it's simply pandering to an electorate that has the attention span measured in the minutes allotted to them by the advertisers to run to the fridge for a cold one or to the head to get rid of the last cold one.

'Tis a cynical viewpoint to be sure but dead on the money these days. No one has the time for serious consideration of the issues simply because we are bombarded with so many half truths, innuendo and bald faced lies that we have become numb to it.

The latest craze is to "pivot" which to me is the same old tired debate tactic of changing the subject when someones cause or point is being turned back upon itself. We all use it as an escape mechanism, so what. Nothing new under the sun in itself.

Do cold snakes care whether the gophers have their heads blown off first?
Probably not after all they're easier to catch, right?;)

CarlV
05-06-2012, 05:17 PM
Not much new really, well except it used to be Jeeps and Buicks were the hot ticket. VW too, of course.
It would be interesting to hear the complete un-edited seems how it is a political ad of sorts.

Type Ford in you tube and Rupert's WSJ boyz just put up this Ford thing.
Published on Apr 20, 2012 by WSJDigitalNetwork
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7sMR0j3CQM
Ford said it will build a $760 million factory in eastern China as part of a plan to double its production capacity there by 2015, marking the motor-vehicle maker's largest industrial expansion in at least 50 years. In what it calls its largest industrial expansion in at least 50 years, Ford is adding plants and dealerships in Asia, where it lags behind its chief rivals in sales and production capacity. When the expansion is complete in 2015, the Dearborn, Mich., company will be capable of building 1.2 million passenger cars a year in China—nearly half the number it built last year in North America.
Bloomberg's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPWBNzpQIvE

They all need to sell cars to stay alive.

Bottom line? Political infomercials are a sign of the times it seems. I think it is the tip of the iceberg with all the money PAC's can spend without any real accountability. Sure beats the a lot of the smear refuse put out there even though it comes off the same roll of toilet paper. :)

Carl

wgrr
05-06-2012, 05:57 PM
I am glad that GM is finally getting to move into the Chinese auto market. For years the big three were shut out of the Chinese market by huge tariffs on imported cars. Making GM cars over there makes as much sense as Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, and others making cars in the US.

I hope GM moves into the far East and Middle East more.

The big three should have been working more on world market share, and less on designing Hummers, Suburbans, Yukon Denali's, Ford Explorers, Navigators, all the non-work luxury trucks that get 10 mpg, and etc... etc... in the last decade.

As far as the claim 70% of GM vehicles are made outside of the US is probably true, but is a disingenuous statement.

The manufacturing of auto parts has been an international affair for many years. GM parts come from all over the world. This is not unique to GM. My Mercedes 79 300SD has parts all over it stamped made in the USA.

I recently rebuilt the entire suspension, brakes, transaxels, and steering. The factory parts that were manufactured, when the car was a new model, were from all over the world. Germany (of course), the US, Italy, France, and others. Heck the steel wires used to build the vaunted French Michelin radial tires is manufactured in Rogers, AR. It is about six miles from Wal-Marts headquarters in Bentonville, AR.

Nothing wrong with global markets.

BlueStreak
05-06-2012, 07:06 PM
I concur with the three previous posts.

bobabode
05-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Nothing wrong with global markets.

I agree. There are a fair amount of stockholders in GM that are Americans that will reap dividends from the expansion into the Sino market. After all we need something to balance the trade deficit from Smart Phones, Shuguang Vacumm tubes, Dollar Stores and Harbor Freight- etc.

I would rather see GM et al making cars there as opposed to Fiat, Volvo and so on.

Rex E.
05-06-2012, 11:02 PM
A very capitalist move in a communist (?) country.

What "ism" should we use to refer to the Chinese these days?

BlueStreak
05-06-2012, 11:17 PM
A very capitalist move in a communist (?) country.

What "ism" should we use to refer to the Chinese these days?

Capunism?

It is interesting, and a little disconcerting, to watch free enterprise flourish under a Communist umbrella. And, it's not just China. Interesting things are taking place in Vietnam as well. It raises some intriguing questions.

Rex E.
05-06-2012, 11:26 PM
It sure does. I must admit it's had me confused for a while now.

bobabode
05-06-2012, 11:46 PM

....mayhaps Nixon with his ping pong diplomacy had something?:p Personally anything comin' out of Nixon and his love of McCarthyism is tainted in my book.
Certainly those guys did more damage to respect for the office of the President than any who had come before or have since.

BlueStreak
05-07-2012, 01:13 AM

What are you confused about?

I didn't say I was "confused" about anything. I said I find it intriguing....There is a difference.

BlueStreak
05-07-2012, 01:29 AM
....mayhaps Nixon with his ping pong diplomacy had something?:p Personally anything comin' out of Nixon and his love of McCarthyism is tainted in my book.
Certainly those guys did more damage to respect for the office of the President than any who had come before or have since.

....and their party.

You know, for all of the conservative bluster coming from the GOP and Goldwater during the '64 election when the goopers finally got into the Whitehouse..........Nixon sure did take on one hell of a "Big Government" mantle, did he not? And he wasn't much for "transparency" either, it seems. Actually........you know.........there seems to be a pattern, if ya step back and take the long view. Watergate, OSHA, EPA, Iran-Contra...........DHS, TSA, Patriot Act, NCLB and all of the huge growth of government in both size and invasive powers.....and wasn't there a GOP majority in the House and the Senate as well as a Republican President for six years in the midst of that last bit?..........

What is it these guys claim to stand for again?:rolleyes::p;)

merrylander
05-07-2012, 07:33 AM
To begin with, like most political ads, it starts with a lie. GM is not shrinking here at but is re-opening some plants.

Funny how everyone gets excited about Toyota, Honda and VW building plants here but gets pissed when we expand overseas. The GM cars sold here in NorAm are built in NorAm, that's good enough for me.

If they had wanted to bitch about summat try the banks, at least GM and Chryslerr will pay us back, more than can be said for those thieves on Wall Street.

piece-itpete
05-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Detroit made huge money on the trucks. I remember at one point Ford was clearing over 7 grand per Navigator! And because of CAFE they sold small cars at a net loss, so the wealthy or determined who bought the trucks were subsiding small cars.

I think China can be referred to as 'croney capitalism'.

Pete

bobabode
05-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Detroit made huge money on the trucks. I remember at one point Ford was clearing over 7 grand per Navigator! And because of CAFE they sold small cars at a net loss, so the wealthy or determined who bought the trucks were subsiding small cars.

Pete

Damn it! You mean when I bought my F250 with a 5.8l hog of a motor I subsidized some yuppie's purchase of a Mustang? Now I'm really pissed!:rolleyes: I think I'll have to run one of those shits off an overpass next chance I git...:rolleyes:

bobabode
05-07-2012, 06:47 PM

Pete

The boney finger of tricky Dick stickin' it to us once more from the grave!
Why? Oh why couldn't he have kept his word, when he vainly cryed to the press, "You won't have Dick Nixon to kick around any more!!" Life would've been so much better for the world had he just slunk back to the Cali and stayed here.

Charles
05-07-2012, 08:10 PM

Pete

Remember when the Chinamen were dirty sumbitches, stealing good jobs from America with slave labor, and selling us worthless junk?

Now they're as American as apple pie and Chevrolet.

Chas

BlueStreak
05-08-2012, 07:57 AM
Remember when the Chinamen were dirty sumbitches, stealing good jobs from America with slave labor, and selling us worthless junk?

Now they're as American as apple pie and Chevrolet.

Chas

I'm guessing they're both. To be a dirty sumbitch seeking slave labor and selling worthless junk to the masses is to be as American as Apple Pie and Chevrolet.:p

budgetaudio6
06-16-2012, 10:33 PM
BlueStreak, Sorry to agree with you, :D, KIdding aside, but that appears to be the american ideal...buy it, it breaks, throw it away and get a new one...They are cheap right?

bobabode
06-17-2012, 01:15 AM
BlueStreak, Sorry to agree with you, :D, KIdding aside, but that appears to be the american ideal...buy it, it breaks, throw it away and get a new one...They are cheap right?

Naw I'm not falling for any such expressed apology. You may ascribe to a theory that the hand who buys a product built by slave labor is blameless and clean because it's cheap? I most certainly don't. Crass is my estimation of your personality.

budgetaudio6
06-17-2012, 01:37 AM
i wasnt making an apology. No need to , Just saying where i got the term from. Before that i had never heard of the term. Yes im a practical newby to the net. i didnt get into it since its infancy that most of yall did. I think it was the gold standard, msnbc that did the interview. But since i dont watch it, i cant say for sure. I just heard a audio of it. Now beofre you say ahah! You listen to music right. And what you hear you take for gold. if it sounds good it must be good.

bobabode
06-17-2012, 01:51 AM
Stoned much?

BlueStreak
06-17-2012, 03:53 PM
I'm guessing they're both. To be a dirty sumbitch seeking slave labor and selling worthless junk to the masses is to be as American as Apple Pie and Chevrolet.:p

Naw I'm not falling for any such expressed apology. You may ascribe to a theory that the hand who buys a product built by slave labor is blameless and clean because it's cheap? I most certainly don't. Crass is my estimation of your personality.

I was being sarcastic, BTW.

bobabode
06-17-2012, 06:10 PM
i wasnt making an apology. No need to , Just saying where i got the term from. Before that i had never heard of the term. Yes im a practical newby to the net. i didnt get into it since its infancy that most of yall did. I think it was the gold standard, msnbc that did the interview. But since i dont watch it, i cant say for sure. I just heard a audio of it. Now beofre you say ahah! You listen to music right. And what you hear you take for gold. if it sounds good it must be good.

How about you simply go and get 1984 on CD and listen to it. Try your local library.
While you are at it get Animal Farm, Lord of the Flys and Fahrenheit 451. Your public library has all of these titles. To Kill a Mockingbird is another.
I think you will find that Pete will admit to reading them although he probably has a Nook or a Kindle.;)

Boreas
06-17-2012, 07:28 PM
How about you simply go and get 1984 on CD and listen to it. Try your local library.
While you are at it get Animal Farm, Lord of the Flys and Fahrenheit 451. Your public library has all of these titles. To Kill a Mockingbird is another.
I think you will find that Pete will admit to reading them although he probably has a Nook or a Kindle.;)

And Brave New World too.

All of these have been filmed as well. Those mentioned above are available as DVDs since they were originally for theatrical release. Brave New world was a made for TV movie. Very good but it might be hard to find on DVD.

John

finnbow
06-17-2012, 07:40 PM

And Brave New World too.

All of these have been filmed as well. Those mentioned above are available as DVDs since they were originally for theatrical release. Brave New world was a made for TV movie. Very good but it might be hard to find on DVD.

John

Throw in Slaughterhouse Five and Catch 22 while you're at it. Stick with the movie for A Clockwork Orange, however.

Rex E.
06-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Throw in Slaughterhouse Five and Catch 22 while you're at it. Stick with the movie for A Clockwork Orange, however.

I thought the movie pretty much mirrored the book accept for omitting the final chapter.

Both are great IMO.....

bobabode
06-17-2012, 08:54 PM
I'm just trying to get budgie to read but since that appears unlikely a narrated version on CD might suit him. The movies I fear he would dismiss as propaganda. Maybe he's dyslexic and if so narrated versions are a great adjunct to the printed versions. Movie's no matter how well done leave far too much of the story out. IMO;)

bobabode
06-17-2012, 09:08 PM

"I wasnt making an apology. No need to, I'm just saying where I got the term from. Before that I had never heard of the term. Yes, I'm practically a newby to the net. I didnt get into it since its infancy like most of y'all did. I think it was the gold standard, msnbc, that did the interview. But since I dont watch it, I cant say for sure. I just heard a audio of it. Now before you say ahah! You listen to music right? And what you hear you take for gold? If it sounds good it must be good?"

Although you are improving your language skills Bud you are still a confusing poster most times. Sorry for the schoolmarmish rewording of your post but take a look at it and try to understand that there isn't much joy in trying to get through to you when you aren't making sense. A little clarity goes a long way. So does a line of bullshit.;)

BlueStreak
06-17-2012, 09:28 PM

And Brave New World too.

John

All excellent suggestions. Although, for some reason I never liked "A Clockwork Orange".

I am an absolute GEEK for Orwell, however. I've even read a lot of his lesser known works like "Shooting an Elephant" and "The Road to Wigan Pier". Great stuff, that will make you think.

A few more movies I'd recommend are "Billion Dollar Brain", (Some of the characters in this film bring to mind characters of today.), the original "Manchurian Candidate" and "Fail Safe".

Zeke
06-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Apocalypse now or just read Heart of Darkness.

That -- and Lord of the Flies -- nail a certain depravity available in each of us...

budgetaudio6
06-18-2012, 01:47 AM
I'm just trying to get budgie to read but since that appears unlikely a narrated version on CD might suit him. The movies I fear he would dismiss as propaganda. Maybe he's dyslexic and if so narrated versions are a great adjunct to the printed versions. Movie's no matter how well done leave far too much of the story out. IMO;)

I am not dymectic, i regret that rebuff! heheheheh

budgetaudio6
06-18-2012, 01:54 AM
clock work orange i saw as a wee ladd. And i thought it was a great movie! demented. yes. I thought it was well done. Does it mean im a progressive democrate?

Or just demented like yall? Dollars into capatilism ws where your pointing to. And i wont soon forget this thread. :D just give me time and please. Take time to be your self. Take it as you will, gn.

bobabode
06-18-2012, 03:06 AM
Do you post via an iPhone? or do you just think terrible punctuation and grammer are cute? I don't know what you are trying to accomplish with the inchoherency but it only gets people a tch confused and more than a bit pissed off. What's the problem? I'm curious but most others have given up trying to decipher what appears to be straight up diddling and threadcrapping. Why not enlighten us?:p

Rex E.
06-18-2012, 08:03 PM
clock work orange i saw as a wee ladd. And i thought it was a great movie! demented. yes. I thought it was well done. Does it mean im a progressive democrate?

It a Kubrick film, of course it's well done!

wgrr
06-19-2012, 05:02 PM

Or just demented like yall? Dollars into capatilism ws where your pointing to. And i wont soon forget this thread. :D just give me time and please. Take time to be your self. Take it as you will, gn.

Yah mae beb ah democrate i doun't noow. Do you need a bambulance teh taak you tu the hosbital to core yay of da democrates.

Sorry budge, you make valid points but I can't understand them.

wgrr
06-19-2012, 05:07 PM
It a Kubrick film, of course it's well done!

I watched "Full Metal Jacket" last night. Very powerful. It is based on the 1979 novel "The Short-Timers" by Gustav Hasford.