PDA

View Full Version : Uncertainty.......................

BlueStreak
05-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Here's an article on "uncertainty", I found interesting.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2012/05/15/152745489/the-liberating-embrace-of-uncertainty?sc=fb&cc=fp

I tend to agree that one should embrace uncertainty rather than draw up and horde like the cowering chickens and bunker digging freaks among us are doing at present. I believe that continuing to invest and spend during uncertain times, whilst dealing with political issues as a seperate matter would make our system nearly impossible to bring down.

Unfortunately, we live in a world where half of us are hopelessly paranoid and fear stricken. It's a shame, because it really does hold us back.

What say you?

Charles
05-15-2012, 05:38 PM
I don't bet the farm on the chance of drawing an inside straight. And it's not fear, it's smart poker.

Then again, I don't have a problem with every other dumb bastard at the table betting the farm on the chances of an inside straight.

But that's just me.

Chas

merrylander
05-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Here's an article on "uncertainty", I found interesting.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2012/05/15/152745489/the-liberating-embrace-of-uncertainty?sc=fb&cc=fp

I tend to agree that one should embrace uncertainty rather than draw up and horde like the cowering chickens and bunker digging freaks among us are doing at present. I believe that continuing to invest and spend during uncertain times, whilst dealing with political issues as a seperate matter would make our system nearly impossible to bring down.

Unfortunately, we live in a world where half of us are hopelessly paranoid and fear stricken. It's a shame, because it really does hold us back.

What say you?

Of course life is uncertain, why else buy insurance. But you do not have to run about like a chicken with its head cut off (actually they really do, it is wierd to see).

I could add to the article's Shakespeare quotation "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Combwork
05-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Quote BlueStreak. "I believe that continuing to invest and spend during uncertain times, whilst dealing with political issues as a seperate matter would make our system nearly impossible to bring down."

How would you keep the two separate? I can't think of a system where the actions of one fail to effect the other. You could maybe get a hierarchical system with a visible structure that's just there for show, but operating behind the scene would be politicians setting the rules.

Some for the common good, some to keep their pockets lined.

BlueStreak
05-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Yes, but most political propaganda is just that; Meaningless blather, meant to frighten and mislead. Yet, some are so affected by it, so believing every scare tactic that comes along that it adversly affects the rest of us.

Perhaps I worded my statement wrong, and should have said "political propaganda" rather than "issues". I dunno, somehow educate the populace on how to tell the difference?

Wasillaguy
05-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Of course life is uncertain, why else buy insurance.

Uhhhhh, I don't know, because the government forces you to?

BTW, you better put a question mark at the end of that sentence, Finnbow is on a punctuation rant.

merrylander
05-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Uhhhhh, I don't know, because the government forces you to?

BTW, you better put a question mark at the end of that sentence, Finnbow is on a punctuation rant.

Not homeowners insurance they don't. Was not a question, just a statement of fact.

Wasillaguy
05-17-2012, 01:04 PM
give them time....

It was a statement of fact with what's known as a "tag question" at the end, and should have a question mark, I believe, but we may want to refer to Finn.