PDA

View Full Version : Jeb Bush on today's GOP ...

finnbow
06-11-2012, 01:10 PM
... and how Reagan and his father wouldn't fit in.

“Ronald Reagan would have, based on his record of finding accommodation, finding some degree of common ground, similar to my dad, they would have had a hard time if you define the Republican Party — and I don’t — as having an orthodoxy that doesn’t allow for disagreement... Back to my dad’s time or Ronald Reagan’s time, they got a lot of stuff done with a lot of bipartisan support that right now would be difficult to imagine happening.”

www.nytimes.com/2012/06/12/us/politics/jeb-bush-takes-aim-at-fellow-republicans.html

Boreas
06-11-2012, 02:01 PM
... and how Reagan and his father wouldn't fit in.

“Ronald Reagan would have, based on his record of finding accommodation, finding some degree of common ground, similar to my dad, they would have had a hard time if you define the Republican Party — and I don’t — as having an orthodoxy that doesn’t allow for disagreement... Back to my dad’s time or Ronald Reagan’s time, they got a lot of stuff done with a lot of bipartisan support that right now would be difficult to imagine happening.”

www.nytimes.com/2012/06/12/us/politics/jeb-bush-takes-aim-at-fellow-republicans.html

Not terribly articulate for "the smart one" but a valid point. There are damn few - as in no - former Republican presidents who could find a home in the Republican Party.......

Okay, maybe Harding.

John

Oerets
06-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Bet "O" Jeb wishes he'd taken the step into the ring now!

With him running against Obama think what the polls would be now.

Barney

wgrr
06-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Hell, Mitch McConnel and John Boehner don't fit in.

Dondilion
06-11-2012, 05:36 PM
At least he recognised and was honest about the braking effects of Europe.

bobabode
06-11-2012, 07:36 PM
At least he recognised and was honest about the braking effects of Europe.

Ouroboros might be a more apt characterization. Europe's Romneyesque solution of austerity is what is damaging their economy. Claiming that they are a drag on the U.S. economy is a little machevelian in my opinion.

HatchetJack
06-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Reagan did a fantastic job in pulling us out of the rut job we were in when he took office.
Lots of people did not like his methods at the time but he backed up into
the endzone and punted it a mile. When the ball was in back in our hands
we scored easily.

djv8ga
06-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Bet "O" Jeb wishes he'd taken the step into the ring now!

Barney
Thank God he didn't. Just what we Rightys need...another Bush. :mad:
It would be McCain all over again. :eek:

bobabode
06-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Thank God he didn't. Just what we Rightys need...another Bush. :mad:
It would be McCain all over again. :eek:

Even McCain is too left for today's GOPers. Jebby is even farther left and St.Ronnie the idjit would've been tarred & feathered and riding a fence rail to the county line if he was around today.:confused:

piece-itpete
06-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Even McCain? Hell he was too far left 20 years ago. Why did you guys throw Lieberman out again? :p

Pete

merrylander
06-12-2012, 08:53 AM
Even McCain? Hell he was too far left 20 years ago. Why did you guys throw Lieberman out again? :p

Pete

It was the voters in Connecticut that tossed Joe 'Pharma' Lieberman.

wgrr
06-13-2012, 08:09 AM
Reagan did a fantastic job in pulling us out of the rut job we were in when he took office.
we scored easily.

Reagan spent 2 trillion dollars in eight years. That would tend to pull any economy out of a recession. He tripled the national debt.

Republicans love to spend your tax dollars. Then they clutch their pearls and rush to the fainting couch muttering the words debt a deficit when a democrat gets into office.

bobabode
06-13-2012, 08:17 AM
we scored easily.

I wonder how ex-pilot Gene Hasenfus would see it?:rolleyes:

merrylander
06-13-2012, 08:53 AM
The recession facing Saint Ronnie was trivial compared to the bloody mess GWB left.

BlueStreak
06-13-2012, 09:08 AM
The recession facing Saint Ronnie was trivial compared to the bloody mess GWB left.

You got that right.

BlueStreak
06-13-2012, 09:17 AM
Reagan spent 2 trillion dollars in eight years. That would tend to pull any economy out of a recession. He tripled the national debt.

Republicans love to spend your tax dollars. Then they clutch their pearls and rush to the fainting couch muttering the words debt a deficit when a democrat gets into office.

Key word----"your". See, people like the Kochs support guys like Cantor, et al, to protect them from tax increases (Or get them further cuts.) and create new "fees" aimed at us or, at least affect us far more than it does them. I can't imagine that Dave Koch worries about his $26 stormwater fee or paying registration on his Rolls..:rolleyes:

Kinda like you won't find many, if any, billionaires kids on the front lines in Afghanistan. But thousands of our kids are more than welcome to pay with their lives.......

merrylander
06-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Key word----"your". See, people like the Kochs support guys like Cantor, et al, to protect them from tax increases (Or get them further cuts.) and create new "fees" aimed at us or, at least affect us far more than it does them. I can't imagine that Dave Koch worries about his $26 stormwater fee or paying registration on his Rolls..:rolleyes:

Kinda like you won't find many, if any, billionaires kids on the front lines in Afghanistan. But thousands of our kids are more than welcome to pay with their lives.......

True dat.

Rex E.
06-13-2012, 02:29 PM
True dat.

YO!

Gotta have the "YO" at the end to make it effective, Rob :D