PDA

View Full Version : War with the Crown started 200 years ago.

bobabode
06-18-2012, 01:25 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_1812

Ancient history, I know. I'm just that much of a historical geek, I admit.

A matter of sovereignity was decided by this conflict with our brothers & sisters across the pond. No longer would American flagged vessels be stopped on the high seas and find their crews involuntarily impressed into the British Navy.

The Brits kept it on the down low until Emperor Napolean's defeat in 1814. Then they landed armies on our shorelines once more and in a spectacular defeat they burned our capital down after partying in the White House on wine left behind by Abigail Adams and soiled her drapes wiping their backsides. Once they had their fun they torched the White House. While they were watching this spectacle a storm of almost biblical proportions descended upon them. Reports state that there were more casualties from the storm than from the Battle of Bladensburg (popularly called the Bladensberg Run!) The American troops had been victims of their own command. They were force marched all over the countryside following leads as to where the Brits were coming from. The meager tired troops were facing well rested and capable veterans of the French campaigns. The retreat into D.C., rout actually, was called The Bladensburg Run as the Brits came into the capital down Bladensburg Road. Our troops were panicing and tossing their weapons down running like hellhounds were after them.
Some reports of that storm described a tornado. It must have been extremely demoralizing to the victors. They were scattered all over the map and suffered many dead from a storm. They backtracked to their ships more or less unhindered and took some time refitting and recuperating down in the Caribbean.
They continued fighting us and culminating in the infamous (for the Brits) Battle of New Orleans. Where the American irregular militias for once stood their ground and handed these tough veterans of the war with the French a trouncing that they couldn't really recover from. It was a defeat that the British Army had never experienced before, let's just say since 1066 A.D., when King Harald got himself killed by the Normans.

In the end we agreed to the ante bellum conditions and boundaries that existed. In addition we won recognition by the Court of our rights as a sovereign country.

merrylander
06-18-2012, 06:41 AM
The building where James Madison brought his administration is just about 10 miles down the road from us in a village called Brookeville.

BlueStreak
06-18-2012, 09:17 AM
That's BS! America ALWAYS wins! You suck, Bob!;)

Dave

finnbow
06-18-2012, 10:47 AM
The War was pretty much a draw and the Brits continued impressment after it ended. For the most part, it was the hawks in the western territories (e.g., Tennessee) who wanted this war.

As for the house in Brookeville, Rob, my parents almost bought the house immediately across the street from it while I was in high school, but my sister and I objected to living so far out in the sticks (at the time).

piece-itpete
06-18-2012, 10:56 AM
There was a special on it running on loop on PBS all weekend, I caught most of it.

I don't remember the battle name, but they said it was a pretty good example of the entire Canadian campaign - the British commander was lost, and the American commander was firing on his own troops.

They said that impressment pretty much ended because the Brits beat Napoleon. I dunno :shrugs:

Pete

finnbow
06-18-2012, 11:10 AM
There was a special on it running on loop on PBS all weekend, I caught most of it.

I don't remember the battle name, but they said it was a pretty good example of the entire Canadian campaign - the British commander was lost, and the American commander was firing on his own troops.

They said that impressment pretty much ended because the Brits beat Napoleon. I dunno :shrugs:

Pete

Yep. It wasn't us that forced their hand, though impressment was one of the primary causes of the War of 1812.

merrylander
06-18-2012, 11:11 AM

Pete

If you were thinking of Queenston Heights, the Canadians won that part.:)