PDA

View Full Version : Who's business is actually picking up???

Kamakiri
10-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Seems as though it's worse now for us online retailers than back when everyone started talking doomsday theory. The market's up, but where the hell are the sales???

Thoughts? I really want to know if things are getting better for ANYONE.

merrylander
10-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Well they want all us 'consumers' to get out there and 'consume', trouble with that is if you are laid off you don't have money, and if you are not laid off you are putting it in the mattress in case you do get laid off.

I have been saying for the last four or five years if you beggar the consumer in a consumer driven economy you have shot yourself in the foot, but they did it anyway. All those wealthy folk don't spend their money here, they travel the world and spend it overseas.

In answer to your question, things are actually a bit better because the Canadian dollar is climbing and my pension comes from Bell Canada.

Charles
10-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Collections must be good, judging from the calls I keep getting concerning my employees.

Chas

Grumpy
10-06-2009, 04:59 PM
This is by far my worst month. Getting better ? Not here..

Twodogs
10-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Well, I'm still holding just barely steady, but my wife had her best month ever in real estate last month. We need jobs, and as long as American buisness keeps getting punished for doing buisness here, they will be tough to come by. Let's just hope that knee cap and tax is on the shelf for awhile. I like to think about what Reagan did, when he inherited an economy with double digit unemployment, double digit interest, and inflation running amok. He cut taxes from 70 to 28% and literally doubled the tax revenue for the government.:)

Fast_Eddie
10-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Advertising is starting to tick up a little. Automotive is starting to come back. That helps a lot.

Fast_Eddie
10-06-2009, 05:36 PM
We need jobs, and as long as American buisness keeps getting punished for doing buisness here, they will be tough to come by.

I can agree with you there...

I like to think about what Reagan did, when he inherited an economy with double digit unemployment, double digit interest, and inflation running amok. He cut taxes from 70 to 28% and literally doubled the tax revenue for the government.:)

And sent us down the path that led to here. Pay down the debt. Raise taxes to do it. We can't cut taxes and keep Social Security, Medicade, Medicare and spend billions each year nation building.

Charles
10-06-2009, 05:54 PM
I can agree with you there...

And sent us down the path that led to here. Pay down the debt. Raise taxes to do it. We can't cut taxes and keep Social Security, Medicade, Medicare and spend billions each year nation building.

Are you familiar with the Laffer Curve?

Chas

Twodogs
10-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Let's help him out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laffer_curve

Charles
10-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Let's help him out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laffer_curve

You're making things too easy. Besides, unless the government gets spending under control it's just a moot point.

BTW, how did your party go...hope it was a success. You have Dwight Yokum on vinyl...reckon I'll have to do a search on Ebay.

Chas

Fast_Eddie
10-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Are you familiar with the Laffer Curve?

Chas

Yes I am. And the Tooth Fairy.

Fast_Eddie
10-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Even if it weren't "Voodoo" with historically low tax rates where do you think we fall on the curve? There is a "too low" scenario even in Laffer's world.

Charles
10-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Even if it weren't "Voodoo" with historically low tax rates where do you think we fall on the curve? There is a "too low" scenario even in Laffer's world.

There is. And at this point in time, in this situation, I think that controlling spending as opposed to raising taxes is the direction to take. And spending wisely.

But it's not that simple anymore.

Chas

Charles
10-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Yes I am. And the Tooth Fairy.

Apples and oranges. I don't believe that Reductio Ad Absurdum applies in this case.

Chas

OvenMaster
10-06-2009, 10:19 PM
I've read somewhere that the only people that are doing well are those involved with processing personal and corporate bankruptcies, those involved in mortgage foreclosures, and salvage people who clean out the houses of underwater mortgage holders who pack up and leave in the middle of the night. Seriously.

Fast_Eddie
10-06-2009, 11:38 PM
There is. And at this point in time, in this situation, I think that controlling spending as opposed to raising taxes is the direction to take. And spending wisely.

But it's not that simple anymore.

Chas

See, that's the thing. They've conned you into believing that we can keep lowering and lowering taxes. And when it all goes to hell, they say lower them some more. Okay, you say spend less. But there has to be a point where someone says "ya know, really, we just need more money".

I've been over this. There's no where to cut that makes enough difference that it would change anything other than Social Security, Medicade/Medicare (not going to happen) and military spending. We could make some difference if we were willing to cut military spending. But the people who want to keep taxes so low are the same ones who want to take over the world. Can't have it both ways.

In the mean time, we're up to our eye balls. Time to pay the bills.

wajobu
10-07-2009, 06:30 AM
We are seeing (knock wood) some pick-up in construction...some, not much.

Charles
10-07-2009, 06:52 AM
See, that's the thing. They've conned you into believing that we can keep lowering and lowering taxes. And when it all goes to hell, they say lower them some more. Okay, you say spend less. But there has to be a point where someone says "ya know, really, we just need more money".

I've been over this. There's no where to cut that makes enough difference that it would change anything other than Social Security, Medicade/Medicare (not going to happen) and military spending. We could make some difference if we were willing to cut military spending. But the people who want to keep taxes so low are the same ones who want to take over the world. Can't have it both ways.

In the mean time, we're up to our eye balls. Time to pay the bills.

I've been conned? Fucked maybe, but not conned.

No one has any intention of paying off the national debt other than through inflation. Besides, as a nation, we don't have enough money TO pay it off.

In theory, should we pay off the debt, we would have the money spent servicing the debt freed up to use for things of substance. And in theory, I agree with you there.

But the government doesn't operate like you and I. And they are busy raising taxes, they just call 'em something else.

Chas

piece-itpete
10-07-2009, 08:37 AM
...knee cap and tax ...

Lol that's excellent!

Sales for me this year appear to be holding steady now, at down 20%. It had been as bad as down 40 earlier this year.

I get a housing industry newsletter that said that, because housing starts basically stopped completely, soon they will have to ramp up at least a little bit to fill even minor demand.

Just the same I'm waiting for the last empty street in a new development behind me to show construction before I believe anything.

Pete

Stereoholic
10-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Orders are up for us- actually better than this time last year. We're in the manufactured/ modular housing business.

Sandy G
10-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Orders are up for us- actually better than this time last year. We're in the manufactured/ modular housing business.

Well, after everbuddy loses their "Upside-Downies" McMansion, the Gummint'll hafta stick 'em SOMEWHERE... (grin)

Stereoholic
10-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Well, after everbuddy loses their "Upside-Downies" McMansion, the Gummint'll hafta stick 'em SOMEWHERE... (grin)

I see your point, Sandy. Actually, most of our customers are repeat home buyers looking for an upgrade, a retirement home, or something for the lake.

No FEMA trailers for us.

merrylander
10-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Oddly enough they are still building large houses here and selling them to boot. Our place increased by $10,000 in the last 45 days.

Kamakiri
10-07-2009, 01:32 PM
The only huge plus around here for me is selling snowblowers. I can't get them done fast enough. In fact, I have people on a waiting list.....

merrylander
10-07-2009, 02:20 PM
So there is some value to the lake effect after all.

Charles
10-07-2009, 04:39 PM
I guess a reply addressing the actual thread is in order.

Construction is picking up here in mid Missouri, but it is still slow. It was absolutely dead until well into the 2nd quarter, I think that when people started to win back some of their losses in the market they started to feel wealthy again.

Personally, I've got a four month backlog at the time, which, considering the nature of things and the time of year, is pretty good. And I have several bids still out, and am bidding more.

Haven't made any money, but I haven't lost any, still have my crew intact, and I'm positioned to move when things open up.

Provided things open up...a big if.

Chas

Stereoholic
10-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Just read in the news that Sub-Zero/ Wolf (the appliance manufacturer) is recalling laid-off workers. Nice to see some good news for once.

The following is from the Wisconsin State Journal.

An increase in home sales and home remodeling projects has prompted Sub-Zero/Wolf to add a second production shift at its factories producing high-end appliances in Fitchburg and Phoenix.

The company said Wednesday it has hired back 165 workers in Wisconsin and 40 in Arizona who were laid off earlier this year. They are needed to meet the increased demand for its "luxury" refrigerators, freezers and wine storage units, the company said.

Another 60 people are to be hired for salaried positions over the next six months. All the hourly employees will be back on the job by November, the company said.

"We're cautiously optimistic that the industry and the economy will continue to recover," said Chuck Verri, vice president for human resources, "and so we've positioned ourselves to rebound quickly as we come out of this recessionary period."

Charles
10-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Never heard of Sub-Zero/Wolf, maybe too high end for Bugtussell.

But folks can only sit on their pocketbooks for so long, things wear out. Besides, they're more and more folks.

I'm an optomist. The big boys have taken their profits, the natives are starting to get restless, the time has come for some smooth sailing. Provided the puppet masters have a firm grip on the strings.

I only hope so, too old to start over again.
Chas

noonereal
10-08-2009, 08:04 AM
business remains very bad

:(

spasmo55
10-08-2009, 11:28 AM
At least 2 more weeks in the space boot for me.

Have a job offer on hold til I recover, but not so sure the ankle will be ready for 8-10 hr shift on the hot line after months of lounging. Besides, duck season opens in earnest this month, and we can hunt pretty much un-interuppted til April as long as the birds cooperate w/ travel to Ark and South Missouri, where "Huntin Whitey" has a whole different meaning.:D:D

Twodogs
10-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Oddly enough they are still building large houses here and selling them to boot. Our place increased by $10,000 in the last 45 days.

:eek::rolleyes::p

Charles
10-14-2009, 10:15 PM

Might be time to "sell high, buy low".

You could still but a whole county down in Southern Missouri or Arkansas with that kind of mullah.

Down there where "the chickens fornicate with the hoot owls".

God's country. Neighbor gives you problems? "He needed killin'" is still grounds for justifible homicide in them parts.

Just kiddin'. Rockaway Beach is pretty cool, kinda of seedy, on Lake Taneycomo, close to Forsyth and Springfield. Buy a 5K boat and go trout fishing every day.

Only downside is Branson is 15 miles East. Just don't go 15 miles East. Go five miles West, you're on Bull Shoals, and most likely the only boat there. I'd recommend a kicker.

I'd do it myself, but by the time I hang around here and see both sides of the family to the grave, I'll be too old.

Hell, odds are they'll see me to the grave. Pricks are ruining my good time.

Chas

devoid
12-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Markertek is up. I'm sure everybody likes a panic story. I think my auto parts vendor is doing well too, at least the Volvo parts. The old ones are a freaking gold mine in this financial train wreck. fcpgroton.com

merrylander
12-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Chas if I was to sell this place we would be heading for Nova Scotia or New Brunswick. Watching Congress scares the hell out of me.

Charles
12-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Chas if I was to sell this place we would be heading for Nova Scotia or New Brunswick. Watching Congress scares the hell out of me.

Can't say as I blame you, but....

have you considered Ecuador?

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/RetirementandWills/RetireInStyle/the-worlds-best-places-to-retire.aspx

Anyway, adios you mucks, I'm off the the Caribbean with my loving wife. I suppose that living with me for 25 yrs without smothering me in my sleep is worth humoring her for a week.

Chas

merrylander
12-05-2009, 03:23 PM
We did look at the island off the coast of Spain once, Florence speaks the language and it might be close enough to French that I could pick it up. Back in the70s I was able to get where I wanted with cab drivers in Madrid who spoke no English.

Safe trip and relax big time.

BlueStreak
12-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Our numbers are still down from what they were a few years ago.:( But I'm certain that that's due more to some stunningly bad decisions at OUR level, and really doesn't have anything to do with the gov't or the general economy.

I am in the coffee manufacturing and packaging business. Green beans in one end of the plant, fully packaged coffee out the other. Currently, about 750,000 pounds a day. We make some of Americas oldest and well known brands. Our coffee is sold around the globe.:D

Dave

Kamakiri
12-14-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm back around, after a somewhat long hiatus......

Business for me has just started to get into swing, here at work.....not sure if it's holiday volume, or the fact that people are actually buying cars. For the first time in many months, I may actually see a bonus.....IF things keep up the way they are now.

I've been busy in the garage, working every night until bedtime and beyond, working on snowblowers. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't, but the common denominator for me is aching arms, greasy hands, and the ability to eat.

Things have gotten worse for me financially than I think they ever have, but I'm surviving. I'll be back around a bit more, as I decided once and for all to not only fight strong to survive, but have a life to survive for :)

BlueStreak
12-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Glad to see things are coming around a bit for you Kamakiri. So, I take it you work in the auto industry?

Dave

merrylander
12-14-2009, 03:35 PM
You will make it Tim, I'll put in a good word with the man upstairs.

Kamakiri
12-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Glad to see things are coming around a bit for you Kamakiri. So, I take it you work in the auto industry?

Dave

I work as the internet director for an auto dealership group, and run five online parts and accessories websites. We sell Honda, Acura, Mitsubishi.

Sales on our parts websites are down to 2001 levels, when things were just starting to get rolling, and about 65% under our normal volume......

merrylander
01-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Big Pharma's business is picking up, seniors get no increase in COLA because there was no inflation. Well there is now the drug companies are raising prices anywhere from 16 to over 20%. I guess that is so the can offer the 50% cut in the doghnut hole. Perhaps it is to recoup all the bribes (aka campaign contributions) they paid to stop health care reform.

Grumpy
01-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Mines still in the crapper. Fact looking more gloomy then ever. But the news says its getting better somewhere.

Charles
01-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Kind of a crazy idea, but what would happen if we outlawed health insurance, along with Medicare?

How long until the doctors and the pharma companies would be willing to accept chickens and pigs for payment. Or at least get their prices in line.

Either that, or they could go to work of me. I could use a couple of hands to screw metal on a building...most likely in the snow. And it's not really that far to the ground, it just looks like it.

Chas

BlueStreak
01-12-2010, 11:52 PM
Then the government would be taxing hog and poultry farmers and redistributing chickens and pigs.

Dave

BlueStreak
01-12-2010, 11:55 PM
To get back on topic, now that the holidays have passed, it seems things have picked up substantially at ye olde coffee plant. We might not even be able to take MLK Day off.

Dave

Writewing
01-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Looks like they are recalling many laid off steel workers in our area of Ohio, my plumber said his staff is all back to full time, my carpenter is busy with projects at both my and my fathers house that we had to wait for and our Electrician has us both on waiting list for a couple projects we need from him too. My neighbors heating business is booming but that could be more seasonal but he had a great summer aswell with his grill sales. My son is on Lay off from Construction Union and one friend is still out of work from spring but its not that bad as some say it is. I know 3 friends who got larger bonus this year then ever before and my fathers was $20k larger than last year.
There are some however who had to give back 10% and forced days off along with some in our community that are really having troubles so its a good and bad market................but not all bad.

finnbow
01-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Looks like they are recalling many laid off steel workers in our area of Ohio, my plumber said his staff is all back to full time, my carpenter is busy with projects at both my and my fathers house that we had to wait for and our Electrician has us both on waiting list for a couple projects we need from him too. My neighbors heating business is booming but that could be more seasonal but he had a great summer aswell with his grill sales. My son is on Lay off from Construction Union and one friend is still out of work from spring but its not that bad as some say it is. I know 3 friends who got larger bonus this year then ever before and my fathers was $20k larger than last year.
There are some however who had to give back 10% and forced days off along with some in our community that are really having troubles so its a good and bad market................but not all bad.

So what are you saying - the stimulus package worked? Do you want to recant your observations above in light of the fact that it could be seen as a tacit endorsement of Obama's economic policies?

Writewing
01-14-2010, 06:26 PM
So what are you saying - the stimulus package worked? Do you want to recant your observations above in light of the fact that it could be seen as a tacit endorsement of Obama's economic policies?

Yea right...........show me where the stimulis worked in any example I have given you. I seriously doubt my Electrician, Carpenter, Plumber, neighbor and anyone else I lnow got a check but if I find out different I will surely let you know..................hold breath at your own risk. The Steel workers are back in part to the efforts to tax China and its imported steel but that isnt stimulis.

Boreas
01-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Yea right...........show me where the stimulis worked in any example I have given you. I seriously doubt my Electrician, Carpenter, Plumber, neighbor and anyone else I lnow got a check but if I find out different I will surely let you know..................hold breath at your own risk. The Steel workers are back in part to the efforts to tax China and its imported steel but that isnt stimulis.

Please leave.

d-ray657
01-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Please leave.

You know, Ben Harper does a great song around that lyric. Of course, he does great songs around just about anything.

Regards,

D-ray

Boreas
01-14-2010, 06:51 PM
You know, Ben Harper does a great song around that lyric. Of course, he does great songs around just about anything.

Regards,

D-ray

I knew Ben Harper. Ben Harper was a friend of mine. I'm no Ben Harper. ;)

John

d-ray657
01-14-2010, 07:17 PM
I've gushed on too much about Ben Harper on AK, but I respect him tremendously. Despite his being hugely popular in Europe, I have seen no sign at all of his selling out to get a bigger share of the US market. His skills on the guitar are insane, and he writes lyrics with a conscience. He plays some of the best slide guitar this side of Ry Cooder. So, as long as I mention that he writes songs with a conscience, is it appropriate to post about Ben Harper over here?:cool:

Regards,

D-Ray

Grumpy
01-14-2010, 07:23 PM
. So, as long as I mention that he writes songs with a conscience, is it appropriate to post about Ben Harper over here?:cool:

Regards,

D-Ray

NO, Argue with me :D

stereocuuple
01-14-2010, 07:56 PM

I got a stimulus check. I had no reason to expect one, having never recieved even a tax return, and I refused to believe one was coming until one actually arrived. Having worked in a mostly cash industry, I had not had a bank account for some 8 years. When I got the check, I used it to start a checking account and begin to save money. A year and a half later, I am in the best financial shape of my adult life. I am still debt free, and have greatly improved my quality of life. This is without any raise in income.

I can't say whether that would have happened without the check, judging by my past, I would guess no. Did the $600 dollars itself I recieved ACTUALLY make a difference in my life? Not in the way that I used it to buy something in particular, but in the way that it gave me a foundation and enough dollars ahead to actually have extra money to start an account with, yes.

I have no idea what effect this may have had on the economy. You tell me.:)

stereocuuple
01-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Maybe I should have read farther back in the thread... I was of course talking about the stimulus package that the Bush Administration put out a couple of years ago...OOPS.

I will try to do better:D

Fast_Eddie
01-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Maybe I should have read farther back in the thread... I was of course talking about the stimulus package that the Bush Administration put out a couple of years ago...OOPS.

I wondered what got into your Kool-Aid. Got it. Bush stimulus good. Obama stimulus bad. That's more like it.

Writewing
01-14-2010, 08:44 PM

For a minute there I thought somebody stole my check:)