View Full Version : NAFTA Debate - A Blast from the Past

ebacon
08-25-2012, 10:25 AM
I wish Ross Perot would have punched Al Gore in his smug face. :o

http://youtu.be/GhwhMXOxHTg

BlueStreak
08-25-2012, 10:42 AM
I miss Ross Perot.

".....this guy (Clinton) wants you to put all your trust in the government, and this guy over here (Bush) wants you to trust billionaires and corporate executives. Believe me, those people are my best friends and collegues......and they don't give a damn about any of YOU."

Truth spoken.

Dave

Rex E.
08-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Shame Ross forgot to include himself in that. ;)

BlueStreak
08-25-2012, 10:56 AM

Well, he did, kinda---by association.

merrylander
08-25-2012, 11:03 AM
I recall when I was still living in Canada being in Gotcha Mesa on business. Went over to a club in Newport Beach and got into conversation with a charming lady at the bar. Her husband, who was chasing around after all the chicks, came up for a refill on his drink. She said "George, I want you to meet Robert, he is from Canada." Geroge's reply was "I don't like what you Canadians are charging for your oil." to which I responded "Well George, we figure things are not going to be like the iron mines where you guys got all the ore and we only got the shaft."

Free trade my arse.

bobabode
08-25-2012, 11:16 AM
I recall when I was still living in Canada being in Gotcha Mesa on business. Went over to a club in Newport Beach and got into conversation with a charming lady at the bar. Her husband, who was chasing around after all the chicks, came up for a refill on his drink. She said "George, I want you to meet Robert, he is from Canada." Geroge's reply was "I don't like what you Canadians are charging for your oil." to which I responded "Well George, we figure things are not going to be like the iron mines where you guys got all the ore and we only got the shaft."

Free trade my arse.

We've changed the name Rob. It's no longer Gotcha Mesa. It's Costa Misery, since the Tea party took over the city council....:rolleyes:

ebacon
08-25-2012, 12:09 PM

There's a big difference between Ross and other billionaires. At least Ross had the courage to say whatever you do do not lower the standard of American workers.

Back then a blue collar worker could at least afford a new pick up truck, a fishing boat, and a family vacation to use them.

Apparently the new class of corporate elite is jealous of that perk and the effect is clear in tourist states such as Michigan. Almost every mom and pop hotel in the upper peninsula is out of business. It looks like a ghost state up there. That's where auto workers used to go for some modest recreation.

But no, that was too much compensation for losing fingers while putting wheels on Cadillacs. Dontcha know the Cadillac drivers had to upgrade to Porsches and Ferraris, McMansions, and six jumbotrons each for beating off to Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

Balls.

Rex E.
08-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Take a look into where Ross made a lot of his money....

BlueStreak
08-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Take a look into where Ross made a lot of his money....

We know where Ross made his money. Re-read the quote; "....my best friends and colleagues...."

Self indictment by proxy, Paul. That's what makes it so truthful; It's a grand example of "Freudian Slip". It was a member of Americas business elite admitting that he and his buds "don't give a damn" about any of US.

Dave

ebacon
08-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Ross made his money one step at a time. He had a paper route as a kid, a sales account at IBM that made him money during the computer boom, and then he got really wealthy with EDS. They primarily computerized GM and Blue Cross/Blue Shield networks.

Another thing Ross did with EDS was introduce the concept of a flexible work force by contracting tech workers to GM and taking them off GMs payroll. All legit stuff.

I've heard some stuff about a tax-free zone in Texas that he shuffled goods through but that's it. I heard some stuff.

Can anyone expand on it?

But the bottom line is people are missing the point on Ross. His view was that government policy should not undermine American workers. Most modern billionaires can't even say that, let alone believe it. What do we get from them now? Let me think about it. Oh yeah, today the poorest Americans have a microwave, teevee, and refrigerator so our work here is done.

Dicks.

ebacon
08-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Ross Perot an oil baron? WTF?

merrylander
08-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Just read this over lunch;

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/How-a-New-Yorker-Article-Launched-the-First-Shot-in-the-War-Against-Poverty-165589956.html

BlueStreak
08-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Ross Perot an oil baron? WTF?

GAW! By bad. Computers and electronics. Once tried to buy General Motors......Duh. The Texas accent must've thrown me off.

Dave

ebacon
08-25-2012, 01:52 PM
GAW! By bad. Computers and electronics. Once tried to buy General Motors......Duh. The Texas accent must've thrown me off.

Dave

Forgiven. In fact when I read your post I didn't think anything of it. It wasn't until I wrote off the top of my Detroit head that I realized, hey, there's no oil in this story! :D

Rex E.
08-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Blue Cross/Blue Shield networks.

You're getting closer

BlueStreak
But the bottom line is people are missing the point on Ross. His view was that government policy should not undermine American workers. Most modern billionaires can't even say that, let alone believe it. What do we get from them now? Let me think about it. Oh yeah, today the poorest Americans have a microwave, teevee, and refrigerator so our work here is done.

Dicks.

All we really need is;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2qNPcLEm8U

Dave

Rex E.
We know where Ross made his money. Re-read the quote; "....my best friends and colleagues...."

Self indictment by proxy, Paul. That's what makes it so truthful; It's a grand example of "Freudian Slip". It was a member of Americas business elite admitting that he and his buds "don't give a damn" about any of US.

Dave

Exactly ;)

ebacon
08-25-2012, 02:04 PM
You're getting closer

Whatever.

What was it Mr. Details?

ebacon
08-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Medicare. Whatever.

Everyone computerized during that era. Even my employer. And my buddies lawnmower shop. Computerization was good honest work. It was supposed to make us more efficient so that we could spend more time on vacation. But nooo.

Boreas
08-25-2012, 02:10 PM
It was supposed to make us more efficient so that we could spend more time on vacation. But nooo.

Being unemployed is like being on vacation.

Sorta.:confused:

John

merrylander
08-25-2012, 02:58 PM
We are the only technically advanced nation that gives its workers a measly two weeks vacation. I was pulling six weeks with Bell at the end, yet the Saudi's picked us to setup the operation of their telephone system because we were the most efficient telephone company in the world.

piece-itpete
08-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Ross associated with some very strange people.

NAFTA? Has Obama reworked it yet? ;)

Pete

ebacon
08-27-2012, 09:32 AM
Ross associated with some very strange people.

NAFTA? Has Obama reworked it yet? ;)

Pete

Thank you for the insight.

piece-itpete
08-27-2012, 09:38 AM
I live to serve :formalbow:

Pete

ebacon
08-27-2012, 10:02 AM
I live to serve :formalbow:

Pete

That made me laugh. thumbsup!

piece-itpete
08-27-2012, 10:16 AM
;) :D

Pete

ebacon
10-04-2012, 10:00 PM
It's amazing how dumb our political conversation has become.

In 1992 CNN devoted 90 minutes just to the NAFTA debate.

In 2012 CNN had trouble keeping their mouths shut for 90 minutes while the presidential candidates debated all domestic issues.

Boreas
10-04-2012, 10:04 PM

In 2012 CNN had trouble keeping their mouths shut for 90 minutes while the presidential candidates debated all domestic issues.

The dumber they play it the more eyeballs they get. Fox taught them that.

John

ebacon
10-04-2012, 10:13 PM
The dumber they play it the more eyeballs they get. Fox taught them that.

John

Roger that.

A few days ago I read an interesting thought. I don't remember where.

The gist was this:

People aren't interested in details. They just want a say.

And so we are guided by twitter twats instead of wise men.

BlueStreak
10-05-2012, 07:45 AM

I watched that debate and didn't hear that Kenyan Marxist say "God" a single time. Hannity is right, the mullatto Nazi hates Jesus.

I'm voting for Romney because I feel guilty for all of the heinous crimes we've committed against the wealthy in the country.:rolleyes:

Regards,
Dave

bobabode
10-05-2012, 08:33 AM
I watched that debate and didn't hear that Kenyan Marxist say "God" a single time. Hannity is right, the mullatto Nazi hates Jesus.

I'm voting for Romney because I feel guilty for all of the heinous crimes we've committed against the wealthy in the country.:rolleyes:

Regards,
Dave

Yeh, me too. He sure proved it the other night at debate. He's a serious friggin' job creator-all those pesky fact checkers would be on the dole if it wasn't for him.
He's like a weird amalgamation of the Terminator and the Energizer bunny...flippity flop, flippity flop, you're fired...
I just wish he would take a cue from Nixon and start pissing and moaning about how the media won't have him to kick around after this beatdown he's going to get. (I hope!);)