PDA

View Full Version : Blue guy in a red state

d-ray657
10-15-2009, 01:59 AM
Hello,

I'll tell you something I wish I had said in order to give y'all a clue where I will be coming from here. After an annoying number of calls for my wife from a "toll free number" that never wanted to leave a message, the caller finally said that she wanted my wife to sign a petition. I mentioned that we had received a large number of calls from their number, and that we were on our state's "no call" list. The caller assured me that their organization's lawyers had told them that they satisfied an exception.

That gave me a pretty good clue why they were calling - my wife will occasionally make a contribution to the religious radio shows the listens to. This got her on a right-wing religious calling list. When she spoke to them, they confirmed that they wanted her to sign an anti-abortion petition, and really gave the pressure sales pitch to sign it. (Not having bought into their exclusive definition of Christianity, she declined)

Now, I wish I had caught on just a moment earlier - before I handed the phone to my wife who had just walked in the door. I should have told the caller that I am the husband, and therefore the head of this household, and my wife will obey me by not talking to her or any other caller from her organization, and that they should honor that command because the Bible says so.

I don't believe that my wife is subservient to me in any way - we have been partners for nearly 29 years. But, the religious right espouse that subservience for women. So which would have been more important to the caller - getting the signatures on the petition or honoring the right-wing belief that the husband is the master of his wife? A sad missed opportunity.

What does this tell you? First, that I write painfully long posts. Second, that I like to mess with people and will gleefully hoist them on their own pitard. (Yeah, I know that I would have been making a statement to the caller that was inconsistent with my beliefs, but I wasn't invading her home with my inconsistency.) Third, it is important to reclaim the definition of Christianity from the religious right. I believe that Christ was more the Prince of Peace than he was the Captain of the Vice Squad.

I'll discuss the evil of corporations in some other post. For now, I'll just say that I would rather have a public servant determine the medical treatment I'll get than a bean-counter who places profit over any other value.

Nice to meet you folks. :D

Regards,

D-Ray

noonereal
10-15-2009, 04:14 AM
welcome

Grumpy
10-15-2009, 04:57 AM
I cannot say I agree with a couple of your points but its good to have you here so we can discuss these topics.

merrylander
10-15-2009, 07:27 AM
Welcome to the funny farm from a blue guy in one of the two red districts of MD.

d-ray657
10-15-2009, 09:53 AM
I cannot say I agree with a couple of your points but its good to have you here so we can discuss these topics.

I think I only brought up a couple of substantive issues, so it looks like we will have some fun visiting. It's just as likely that I'll get hoisted on my pitard as often as I'll do any hoisting myself. Free speech at it's finest. Thanks for clueing us AKers in to this wrestling match.

Regards,

D-Ray

spasmo55
10-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Religious Right, Abortion and Health Care all in your first post, oh yea, you are going to fit right in!

Greetings and Salutations from the Heartland!!

JJIII
10-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Welcome to the "Free-for All". Watch your back! :D

piece-itpete
10-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Hey d-ray. Great sense of humor you've got there :)

Pete

BlueStreak
10-18-2009, 09:14 PM
I look foreward to the lively discussions that we will most assuredly have, my friend! I see that you're disdain for the manor in which the Republican Party has highjacked Christianity matches mine.

Hoist the mainsail and lash yourself to the wheel. It's a red sky at morn, and the gathering storm approaches!

Dave