PDA

View Full Version : Testing Rush

Twodogs
10-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Before I get started, let me say that I do occasionally listen to, and agree with Rush Limbaugh. That being said, I do not live and die by his, or any other radio hosts words. It seems to me that there could be an interesting aside to this whole NFL business. I am well aware that many on the left (and some on the right) say that Limbaugh, and others like him, are only in it for the money. I think that we are going to see what sort of principles this guy lives by (if any). Several "journalists" and talking heads have written and said things about Rush that can't be backed up, or sourced. One that comes to mind is a local, Jason Whitlock (yes he's black). We all know that Rush has more millions than he, or his children's children could ever spend, and doesn't need to go through the hassle of a slander suit to get a few more. That fact makes me very curious as to how he will handle these folks. I think it will show a great deal about his character, and what he does, or doesn't stand for. I have a feeling he may just go for public apologies in the whatever venue they slandered him in. I "hope" he puts them in the poor house.

noonereal
10-15-2009, 01:22 PM
he will cry like a junkie on his radio show

that was an easy question, got another?

Twodogs
10-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Noon, if you are trolling, I'm way past the point of biting. It's clear to me that you are frustrated and have no interest in having an intelligent discussion about news events. Thanks Anyhow, Jay

d-ray657
10-15-2009, 03:10 PM
A slander suit is an excuse to remain in the public eye, it gives him something to appear angry about, his MO, and it is consistent with his belief that he has an exclusive license to the truth.

Truth is a defense to a slander suit in most instances, but with a public figure such as Limbaugh, the defendant has a lower standard to establish a defense. The suit can't proceed unless the person making the statement knew it was false at the time, or acted with reckless disregard of the truth.

Maybe the court will hit him with a huge bill for the defendants' legal fees when he gets thrown out of court. That will give him lots of new fodder to rage against the liberal courts.

A lyric by the Bottle Rockets comes to mind:

Angry fat man on the radio
Wants to keep his taxes way down low
He says there oughta be a law
Angriest man you ever saw

Regards,

D-Ray

Twodogs
10-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Maybe the court will hit him with a huge bill for the defendants' legal fees when he gets thrown out of court.
D-Ray

and maybe I'll hit the lotto.:p It would be nice if our system was set up that way, but it's not. That would sure end a bunch of the silly and frivolous lawsuits that drive prices up. I also believe that if you say or print something in the media that is untrue, and it causes someone damage (financial or otherwise), they have a right to seek compensation. Some of the people spreading the lies are small timers too (like Whitlock), and it will be interesting to see how they fare, now that they are playing with the "big boys". I can only imagine the legal team that Rushbo keeps on retainer.:eek:

Charles
10-15-2009, 03:25 PM
I've never listened to Rush, he always came across as too pompus to suit me.

But I have read several things that he has written and/or said. He can be pretty astute at times.

Chas

d-ray657
10-15-2009, 03:31 PM
The Constitution places limits on the ability of public figures to obtain damages on the basis of statements made about them, particularly statements of opinion. Now maybe his hero could succeed in shredding inconvenient portions of the Constitution, but I don't expect Rush to be able to.

By the way, fees can be awarded when lawsuits are frivolous or pursued in bad faith. That's why I suggested that Rush would get nailed.

Now if he and the Star's insurance company both spend stupendous amounts on the case, and he ends up getting nothing, that would be a win-win.

Regards,

D-Ray

Twodogs
10-15-2009, 03:51 PM
particularly statements of opinion.
D-Ray

The statements in question were portrayed as quotes, not an opinion. As for the Falling Star, it's already dead, it just doen't know it yet.:D Seems a whole lot of left leaning news agencies are in financial trouble these days. Maybe they should all hire some better looking gals, like FOX does.:p

d-ray657
10-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Since when has the Star been a left-leaning news agency? Like other conservative institutions, and many republicans, the Star had seen the path Bush's handlers and their allies had been leading the country and their party down, which lead them to step back, evaluate, and endorse a clearly qualified candidate for office. Now if a reasoned analysis in the face of overwhelming evidence makes an organization left-leaning, I will gladly accept that practice as part of what happens over here on the left.

Regards,

D-Ray

noonereal
10-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Noon, if you are trolling, I'm way past the point of biting. It's clear to me that you are frustrated and have no interest in having an intelligent discussion about news events. Thanks Anyhow, Jay

I don't know what you mean, I am damn serious.

he will cry about getting shut out and carry on like a spoiled kid.

How is this trolling? Watch, you will see.

His character?

Are you kidding?

He threw rocks at folks with drug problems for years and was one himself.

merrylander
10-16-2009, 07:12 AM
I see the other bidders threw him under the bus, now he will be pouting all over the airwaves for weeks.:rolleyes:

spasmo55
10-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Rush, let's see:

I started listening to him in the late 90's, driving home from work. It took me about 3 weeks to realize he was a pompous blowhard leading sheep that could not think for themselves and were looking for a king to lead them.
I find I sound just as smart after a pitcher of beer, and at 5$ a pour, that is cheaper than Oxycodon.

Beck, I have never listened to him, and after what I have read here, I never will.

Hannity:

He follows the same doctrine that the Catholic Church he claims to be such a devout member of, don't read or think for yourselves, just follow what we holy folks tell you and we will promise you a place in heaven. Now repeat the suggested mantras ad nauseam to complete the lobotomy and follow the provided saints to the promise land.

Now can you fine folks suggest anyone worth listening to? Please keep in mind I live where the air waves are full of nothing but shitkicker music and crop reports, so I'm looking for someone pushing a strong (100k) signal.

It is such a beautiful day, 46 deg, overcast, 75% humidity, light wind from the north, I think I'll go out and have a cold one and watch the leaves fall.

Duck Smack 09 starts tomorrow, oh but ya'll knew that. No sleep tonight.

noonereal
10-16-2009, 12:53 PM
It is such a beautiful day, 46 deg, overcast, 75% humidity, light wind from the north, I think I'll go out and have a cold one and watch the leaves fall.

you defiantly found the value in this thread ;)

Enjoy!

d-ray657
10-17-2009, 12:16 AM
Just for objectivity's sake, we should allow all to read the comments by Jason Whitlock that are claimed to be slanderous. Ironically enough, his comments appeared on an outlet of the Fox empire. Here is the link:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10210084/Goodell-should-say-no-to-Limbaugh

If Limbaugh were to pursue a defamation action based on the comments in this article, there would be only one unfortunate outcome. It would be kicked out of court before Limbaugh spent enough money to buy a minority interest in a semipro football team.

By the way, Limbaugh showed his journalistic integrity by attempting to twist another Whitlock column for his own use.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_031109/content/01125112.guest.html

Warning - the graphics on the above site may cause one to lose one's lunch.

Regards,

D-Ray

Twodogs
10-17-2009, 08:37 AM
After doing some reading on this topic, I can't for the life of me figure out what race has to do with Rush buying in to an NFL team? Maybe someone here can help me understand.:confused:

noonereal
10-17-2009, 09:10 AM
After doing some reading on this topic, I can't for the life of me figure out what race has to do with Rush buying in to an NFL team? Maybe someone here can help me understand.:confused:

It's simple. Rush has expressed racism and as a results the people of color along with like minded folks do not want to be associated with him nor work for him.

The age old law of what goes around comes around.

Is this trolling? :confused: (I never did understand that post)

Grumpy
10-17-2009, 10:10 AM
It's simple. Rush has expressed racism and as a results the people of color along with like minded folks do not want to be associated with him nor work for him.

The age old law of what goes around comes around.

Is this trolling? :confused: (I never did understand that post)

I do think he shot off his mouth and paid the price. Course he could have said nothing and would have still paid. Its his nature to stir shit and we all know that shit stirrers smell too.

With that said I do share a small part of his views about todays sports figures.

noonereal
10-17-2009, 11:12 AM
With that said I do share a small part of his views about todays sports figures.

We all do, it's the stereotyping of them that is more the issue.

Grumpy
10-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Is it stereotyping if its true ?

Charles
10-17-2009, 08:31 PM

Not where I come from. I also understand he's being blamed for things that he never said.

But I haven't followed this very close.

A couple of points I'd like to make.

Rush became hooked on painkillers due to a bad back, to the best of my understanding. Even my old buddy, who was a rabid democrat, but who had also had two back operations, was willing to give him a pass on that one. And as one who has wound up lying on the floor, screaming, with tears running down your face because you back went out, I will too.

And if Rush is unfit to own a part of an NFL team because he's a racist...what about Soros. He owns part of one and he worked for the Nazi's when he was a kid. And from what I've read, he's quite unapologetic about it.

There's a lot worse people in this world than Rush...whether you like him or not. Cut him some slack.

Chas

noonereal
10-17-2009, 08:32 PM

as we are all unique individuals the stereotyping of actions cannot be true by definition

Charles
10-17-2009, 08:38 PM
as we are all unique individuals the stereotyping of actions cannot be true by definition

Didn't know you were a lawyer!!!!

Chas

noonereal
10-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Didn't know you were a lawyer!!!!

Chas

nah, not a lawyer, a nudge

Miller time?:rolleyes:

Charles
10-17-2009, 09:00 PM
nah, not a lawyer, a nudge

Miller time?:rolleyes:

Of course, my friend.

It's 4:00 somewhere.

Chas

d-ray657
10-17-2009, 09:29 PM
There's a lot worse people in this world than Rush...whether you like him or not. Cut him some slack.

Chas

It's all about $$$$. The NFL execs see Rush as bad pub, which to them means risk, lost viewership - - lost $$$. There are not enough dittoheads who are not already football fans to make up for others that might be lost. As long as moral character can be kept in the background, so as not to affect the bottom line, it makes no difference to the NFL money machine. But when someone like Rush, who revels in his reputation as a sh** stirrer, is visible within the NFL power structure, the bean-counters get nervous.

For Rush, on the other hand, there is no such thing as bad pub. It's a win/win. The denial of NFL ownership because of "liberal" complaints provides him weeks and weeks worth of hate spewing, and for now, at least, hate sells to a big enough segment of the population to make it profitable. Just like 9/11 was the best thing to ever happen for Dub, this could be the best thing to ever happen to Rush.

Regards,

D-Ray

noonereal
10-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Of course, my friend.

It's 4:00 somewhere.

Chas

4 :eek:

you start late ;)

Charles
10-17-2009, 09:42 PM
It's all about $$$$. The NFL execs see Rush as bad pub, which to them means risk, lost viewership - - lost $$$. There are not enough dittoheads who are not already football fans to make up for others that might be lost. As long as moral character can be kept in the background, so as not to affect the bottom line, it makes no difference to the NFL money machine. But when someone like Rush, who revels in his reputation as a sh** stirrer, is visible within the NFL power structure, the bean-counters get nervous.

For Rush, on the other hand, there is no such thing as bad pub. It's a win/win. The denial of NFL ownership because of "liberal" complaints provides him weeks and weeks worth of hate spewing, and for now, at least, hate sells to a big enough segment of the population to make it profitable. Just like 9/11 was the best thing to ever happen for Dub, this could be the best thing to ever happen to Rush.

Regards,

D-Ray

You make some valid points. But look at it like this, Rush would take the heat off of Jerry Jones.

IMHO, the worst thing that ever happened to Dub was 9-11. Would you want to deal with something like that?

I wouldn't, I like smooth sailing.

Chas

Charles
10-17-2009, 09:49 PM
4 :eek:

you start late ;)

Playin' catch up ball!!!

One of those Palinesque sports metaphors you love so much!!!

Chas

d-ray657
10-17-2009, 09:57 PM
You make some valid points. But look at it like this, Rush would take the heat off of Jerry Jones.

IMHO, the worst thing that ever happened to Dub was 9-11. Would you want to deal with something like that?

I wouldn't, I like smooth sailing.

Chas

I'll take your point, and qualify mine. 9/11 is the best thing that could have ever happened to Cheney. It gave him free reign to impose his agenda while letting Dub think he was doing something.

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
10-18-2009, 02:18 PM
I'll take your point, and qualify mine. 9/11 is the best thing that could have ever happened to Cheney. It gave him free reign to impose his agenda while letting Dub think he was doing something.

Regards,

D-Ray

What exactly was Cheney's agenda? Please enlighten me.

Chas

merrylander
10-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Actually it was more Wolfowitz and Rumsfeld that took us off to war.

BlueStreak
10-20-2009, 09:30 AM
I think they just don't want to work for Limbaugh because he's a guy who gets paid way too much to sit on his ass and wag his tongue at a microphone-------that constantly bitches about others getting paid too much to do too little. That's why I hate his guts. At least the football players WORK for their money.

Maybe if he went out and got a real job with realistic blue collar pay, he'd change his tune a little?

Fuck Limbaugh.

Dave

P.s.
Rush has kids?
I didn't even know he's married.
Or is he.
Probably queer on top of it all.

BlueStreak
10-20-2009, 09:34 AM
What exactly was Cheney's agenda? Please enlighten me.

Chas

Pandering to, and profiting from the "military industrial complex".
Some would say that's why we ended up in Iraq.:eek:

Dave

d-ray657
10-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks Dave, I forgot to answer that. I will add that the war criminal and his cronies used the opportunity to redefine patriotism to fit within the right-wing mold, questioning the patriotism of anyone who might disagree with his motives or methods; to move toward a police state with the miserably named "Patriot Act;" to have free reign to act in whatever circumstance that he was able to label as national security (including torture); to not only pander to the Industrial Military Complex, but the further integrate it into the government. His administration would relish in punishing those who questioned it - going to far as to threaten a person working on behalf of US security by disclosing her undercover activities, because her husband had accurately disputed the fictions that he advanced in support of the Iraq war.

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
10-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Pandering to, and profiting from the "military industrial complex".
Some would say that's why we ended up in Iraq.:eek:

Dave

I suppose that's one way to look at it.

Chas