PDA

View Full Version : The Truman Library

d-ray657
09-14-2012, 07:02 PM
So after nearly 25 years in the KC area, we finally went to the Truman Museum today; and we will be going back soon. What a great review of that period of American history. And I took notes. A few of the tidbits that I brought home:

Farming taught him that hard work alone did not guarantee success.

He first proposed a system of national health insurance in 1945. In 1965, LBJ travelled to the Truman Library to sign the Medicare Act.

The Marshall plan was described as “the most unsordid act in human history.” It is truly amazing the extent to which we invested in rebuilding Europe.

I liked a line he used in accepting the nomination for his own run for the presidency “Senator Barkley and I will win this election and make the Republicans like it.” Like today, the conservative columnists inaccurately denigrated his leadership ability.

He pissed off labor during his first presidency by intervening in strikes. As a result, the GOP took over congress during the mid-term elections. When Truman was running for his own presidential term, he told a labor gathering that “if you stay home like you did last time and let these reactionaries stay in power you’ll deserve any blow you get.” Sound like a message to the working people of today?

Truman was moved by the conditions he saw Blacks suffer after the war, and introduced civil rights legislation, which was defeated in Congress. Truman took some steps on his own by integrating the military and issuing an executive order banning discrimination in federal jobs. Truman’s efforts toward civil rights caused Strom Thurmond to leave the Democratic party (good riddance) and run as a third party candidate for president (winning four states). A statement from Thurmond: “There are not enough troops on the Army to force the Southern People to admit Negroes into our theaters, swimming pools & homes.”

Finally, showing his true wisdom, he stated: “I salute baseball as our greatest sport.”

I’m going to have to find a good Truman biography.

Regards,

D-Ray

icenine
09-14-2012, 08:09 PM
So after nearly 25 years in the KC area, we finally went to the Truman Museum today; and we will be going back soon. What a great review of that period of American history. And I took notes. A few of the tidbits that I brought home:

He first proposed a system of national health insurance in 1945. In 1965, LBJ travelled to the Truman Library to sign the Medicare Act.

The Marshall plan was described as “the most unsordid act in human history.” It is truly amazing the extent to which we invested in rebuilding Europe.

I liked a line he used in accepting the nomination for his own run for the presidency “Senator Barkley and I will win this election and make the Republicans like it.” Like today, the conservative columnists inaccurately denigrated his leadership ability.

He pissed off labor during his first presidency by intervening in strikes. As a result, the GOP took over congress during the mid-term elections. When Truman was running for his own presidential term, he told a labor gathering that “if you stay home like you did last time and let these reactionaries stay in power you’ll deserve any blow you get.” Sound like a message to the working people of today?

Truman was moved by the conditions he saw Blacks suffer after the war, and introduced civil rights legislation, which was defeated in Congress. Truman took some steps on his own by integrating the military and issuing an executive order banning discrimination in federal jobs. Truman’s efforts toward civil rights caused Strom Thurmond to leave the Democratic party (good riddance) and run as a third party candidate for president (winning four states). A statement from Thurmond: “There are not enough troops on the Army to force the Southern People to admit Negroes into our theaters, swimming pools & homes.”

Finally, showing his true wisdom, he stated: “I salute baseball as our greatest sport.”

Regards,

D-Ray

Truman by David Mccllough is a popular one ...I read it 20 years ago...very good and sort of light reading but very informative....

If you want a really good one with a true historian's insight by a real Truman expert with a vast knowledge of the Cold War this one

Man of the People: A Life of Harry S. Truman, by Alonzo Hamby.
I have not read it but I have taken classes by the author in another lifetime....

Zeke
09-15-2012, 09:51 AM
That museum was one of the first things my ex-wife and I did when I moved to town in '99.

I am always impressed.

Note: Post Presidency, Truman spent a lot of time in his office there and would even answer the phone. Imagine that! "Truman Library, this is Harry..."

finnbow
09-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Truman by David Mccllough is a popular one ...I read it 20 years ago...very good and sort of light reading but very informative.....

+1. Very good and imminently readable. It's my favorite McCullough book of the 3-4 I've read.

I bet Dubya's Presidential Library would be entertaining. Probably mostly comic books, scattered with revisionist history.;)

piece-itpete
09-17-2012, 09:58 AM

The Marshall plan was described as “the most unsordid act in human history.” ....

I love that.

So, the failed haberdasher has a nice library? :D

Pete

Boreas
09-17-2012, 10:01 AM
I love that.

So, the failed haberdasher has a nice library? :D

Pete

Just like the failed oil tycoon. The difference is that the tycoon was also a failed president.

John

piece-itpete
09-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Just as Truman was considered...

Btw I was messing about with the failed haberdasher comment. I like saying it, haberdasher, haberdasher ;)

Pete

d-ray657
09-17-2012, 10:13 AM
I love that.

Pete

Yeah, I had to write that one down.

One thing I liked about the library was that it provided some balance. There were many opinions available that the use of the a-bomb was unnecessary. There was plenty of coverage about Truman's connections to Pendergrast. There were copies of editorials and essays in opposition to many of the acts he took during his presidency.

One parallel I like to this election is the moderate president taking on a slick governor after having dealt with a do-nothing congress. Dewey just looked like the smarmy banker that we see in the movies or on TV - think Mr. Drysdale in Beverly Hillbillies.

Regards,

D-Ray

d-ray657
09-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Just as Truman was considered...

Btw I was messing about with the failed haberdasher comment. I like saying it, haberdasher, haberdasher ;)

Pete

Just as about every president is considered if you ask the right analysts.

Regards,

D-Ray

Boreas
09-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Just as about every president is considered if you ask the right analysts.

Regards,

D-Ray

The right analysts being, as a rule, those from the opposing party. That being said, the absence of George W Bush, or even any reference to him, from the RNC Convention speaks volumes.

John

piece-itpete
09-17-2012, 10:59 AM
I like Truman. I wish we'd get a plain speaker back in office.

Pete

icenine
09-17-2012, 11:20 AM
"Mitt Romney shoots first and aims later"....sounds pretty plain to me. Harry would have been proud...

piece-itpete
09-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Obama = Truman? :D

'That's what happens when you've got a goddam fool in the White House' - Truman, on Eisenhower, after Castro went to the reds - on record.

Pete

Boreas
09-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Obama = Truman? :D

'That's what happens when you've got a goddam fool in the White House' - Truman, on Eisenhower, after Castro went to the reds - on record.

Pete

Truman had the luxury of being an ex-president when he said that. Also, I doubt that remark was meant for public consumption.

John

Boreas
09-17-2012, 12:04 PM
And, in fairness to Ike, no fool, it was probably the result of having a god damned fool in the State Department and his idiot brother as DCI.

John

piece-itpete
09-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Agreed about him being ex President. It was said on record to a reporter.

Obama = Truman (or FDR) comments kill me :p

Pete

Boreas
09-17-2012, 12:09 PM

Pete

Me too. Obama is MUCH better than either of them!

John

Dondilion
09-17-2012, 01:30 PM

Regards,

D-Ray

Thanks!
I hope to spend some time this winter reading a lot about Truman and LBJ.
I am fascinated by these two colorful pres.

icenine
09-17-2012, 01:31 PM

Pete

OH YEAH it must be hard having to put up with the Bush=Hoover, Harding, Coolidge, Nixon comparisons....

Just wait for Biden Pete..more salty talk!
Parties that nominate witches for senator will probably not be in the executive branch anytime soon:)

icenine
09-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Thanks!
I hope to spend some time this winter reading a lot about Truman and LBJ.
I am fascinated by these two colorful pres.

You have to read The Path to Power by Robert Caro if you want the warts and all (LBJ as the devil sort of) about Johnson....

no affiliation

http://www.amazon.com/Path-Power-Years-Lyndon-Johnson/dp/0679729453/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347906822&sr=1-1&keywords=the+path+to+power+caro

piece-itpete
09-17-2012, 01:39 PM
X2!

Pete

icenine
09-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Good book about the Eisenhower years by another old prof of mine....

http://www.amazon.com/Holding-Line-Eisenhower-1952-1961-Paperback/dp/B0085LZ83K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1347912337&sr=8-2&keywords=EISENHOWER+CHARLES+ALEXANDER

ooh that has the really high prices...it goes for much cheaper sorry...

BlueStreak
09-17-2012, 03:20 PM

Pete

Me too. Obama is MUCH better than either of them!

John

No, he's not. And there-in lies my discontent with Obama. Compared to FDR and Harry S., Obama is weak. Very weak. If he was a strong as FDR, the lead he'd have over Romney right now would be in the double digits, but it's not. Look at the crappy, half assed campaign Romney is running.....and there is still a strong chance that he may win.

What does that tell you?

Dave

bobabode
09-17-2012, 03:28 PM
The average American voter sucks, exceptionally.;)

BlueStreak
09-17-2012, 04:00 PM
The average American voter sucks, exceptionally.;)

The average American voter is struggling to figure out who to vote for. They don't really like either candidate and it's coming down to generalities and party loyalty. People don't even know what Romneys plan is and some will tell you they don't even trust the guy----yet plan to vote for him anyways.

Not trying to be a downer, Bob, just calling it as I see it.

Dave

Boreas
09-17-2012, 04:06 PM
The average American voter is struggling to figure out who to vote for. They don't really like either candidate and it's coming down to generalities and party loyalty. People don't even know what Romneys plan is and some will tell you they don't even trust the guy----yet plan to vote for him anyways.

Not trying to be a downer, Bob, just calling it as I see it.

Dave

Here's my take on that. The outcome of the presidential election will be determined by the as-yet undecided voters. That means the next president will be chosen by the dumbest people in the country. :D

John

icenine
09-17-2012, 04:08 PM
No, he's not. And there-in lies my discontent with Obama. Compared to FDR and Harry S., Obama is weak. Very weak. If he was a strong as FDR, the lead he'd have over Romney right now would be in the double digits, but it's not. Look at the crappy, half assed campaign Romney is running.....and there is still a strong chance that he may win.

What does that tell you?

Dave

He is probably as close to FDR (with the exception of LBJ) that we will get in our memorable lifetime....

and you never know how Obama's actions will affect us 10-15 years from now....

everyone said Truman was washed up too while he was in office...his rehabilitation occurred in the 1970s-80s...

BlueStreak
09-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Here's my take on that. The outcome of the presidential election will be determined by the as-yet undecided voters. That means the next president will be chosen by the dumbest people in the country. :D

John

As I see it, the dumbest people are the ones who never had a doubt who they are going to vote for.

Obama because he prints "Obamamoney", Romney because he's a "businessman".

icenine
09-17-2012, 04:36 PM
I am pretty sure I am voting for Obama...and no I am not dumb....am I?

Boreas
09-17-2012, 04:52 PM
As I see it, the dumbest people are the ones who never had a doubt who they are going to vote for.

Obama because he prints "Obamamoney", Romney because he's a "businessman".

I never had the slightest doubt so I guess I'm one of the dummies. Seriously, Dave, did you? I mean look at the crazy train that the Republicans put up this year! Did you for an instant consider voting for Bachmann? Perry? Cain? Santorum? Gingrich? Paul?

Romney????

John

d-ray657
09-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Dave, for some, any consideration of a GOP candidate could easily be precluded early in the process. For example, the fealty of the GOP to the hard right, particularly social conservatives, would have a considerable impact on the court appointments that a president will make. The Supreme Court is already unbalanced toward the ultra conservative justices. Because of their relative youth (for Supreme Court Justices), the potential is there for a GOP president to put the SCOTUS out on the right end of the spectrum for years to come. That is an extremely important consideration in my decision about a presidential candidate.

Also, although from a world view, there might not be that much difference between the parties in terms of economic theory, there is enough for me to make a choice between candidates based on party affiliation. The chamber of commerce crowd holds considerably more sway with the GOP than with the Dems when it comes to labor-protective legislation and regulation. None of the restrictions on corporate power that are needed would have a prayer in a GOP administration. It would be a tough enough hill to climb with the Democrats in power.

In short, people can have sound reasons to choose party over candidate in a presidential election. It is not because of a lack of thought that one would do so.

Regards,

D-Ray

merrylander
09-18-2012, 06:21 AM
Dave, for some, any consideration of a GOP candidate could easily be precluded early in the process. For example, the fealty of the GOP to the hard right, particularly social conservatives, would have a considerable impact on the court appointments that a president will make. The Supreme Court is already unbalanced toward the ultra conservative justices. Because of their relative youth (for Supreme Court Justices), the potential is there for a GOP president to put the SCOTUS out on the right end of the spectrum for years to come. That is an extremely important consideration in my decision about a presidential candidate.

Also, although from a world view, there might not be that much difference between the parties in terms of economic theory, there is enough for me to make a choice between candidates based on party affiliation. The chamber of commerce crowd holds considerably more sway with the GOP than with the Dems when it comes to labor-protective legislation and regulation. None of the restrictions on corporate power that are needed would have a prayer in a GOP administration. It would be a tough enough hill to climb with the Democrats in power.

In short, people can have sound reasons to choose party over candidate in a presidential election. It is not because of a lack of thought that one would do so.

Regards,

D-Ray

Exactly. All this talk about Obama not leading is mistaken. The Repubs in Congress have finally taken Nancy's pledge to heart - Just say NO. I may be missing summat but how in hell is Obama supposed to acomplish anything in the face of that. Remember your precious check and balances? Well the checks bounce and someone has his thumb on the balance. The Framers nevr thought that we would ever have people in Congress who would put party before country such as we have just now. They must be removed from ofice.

piece-itpete
09-18-2012, 07:56 AM

John

ROTFLMAO!!!!

I am pretty sure I am voting for Obama...and no I am not dumb....am I?

Must... Be.... Nice....

:D

Regards,

D-Ray

I agree Don.

My dad says there used to be a box at the top of the ballot, you checked it (Dem or Rep) to vote a straight party ticket.

Pete

JJIII
09-28-2012, 05:54 AM
Damn! Roaches everywhere!