PDA

View Full Version : Propaganda?

BlueStreak
10-19-2009, 11:20 AM
I have to get ready for work, I don't have much time, so I'll pose the question and check back to read your thoughts later.

Propaganda?

What are your observations on how politicians use religion, fear, greed, poverty, patriotism, history (Or the twisting thereof.), racism, humor or just plain old xenophobia in general to influence the thought processes of the masses?

Dave

Grumpy
10-19-2009, 11:31 AM
If people were not as stupid as a brick none of this would matter. Sadly its not so and politicians will manipulate anything that can to be in their favor.

noonereal
10-19-2009, 01:54 PM
If people were not as stupid as a brick none of this would matter. Sadly its not so and politicians will manipulate anything that can to be in their favor.

You are correct Grumpy, sadly I think this applies to more than just politicians. :(

piece-itpete
10-19-2009, 02:05 PM
I'm guessing it applies to posters on political boards too :D

I personally didn't like the way Obama played my hatred of white people. :p

Pete

merrylander
10-19-2009, 02:59 PM
I am currently reading a book on just how they use and abuse history for their nefarious purposes,, the name is "Dangerous Games".

But Grumpy is right, as long as people let others do their thinking for them nothing will change.

Charles
10-19-2009, 03:12 PM
At least Billy Mayes was honest...he'd give you your money back if you weren't 100% satisfied.

Chas

BlueStreak
10-20-2009, 12:15 AM

Very true. Goebbels once commented the "The masses are like cattle, generally stupid and easily led......even to their own slaughter." Too bad the German people didn't realize early on that this bastard regarded them as stupid cattle, history might have been a little different.
Makes me wonder how many ordinary Germans, (at the time), hated the Jewish, and everyone else on Hitlers deathlist, but didn't even know why? Truly Sickening.

Dave

spasmo55
10-20-2009, 05:35 AM
"A person is smart, people are stupid" Tommy Lee Jones in MIB

Truer words were never spoken

Seems to me, organized religion perfected this before there were true politicians.

d-ray657
10-20-2009, 06:50 AM

Seems to me, organized religion perfected this before there were true politicians.

For centuries the Roman Catholic Church was one of the most effective political organizations that the world has ever known.

Regards,

D-Ray

BlueStreak
10-20-2009, 11:58 AM

"What great and ingenius mind must have concieved of religion. In this way one controls the thoughts and actions of man, even in private."--

-- Criteus (sp?) Greek Philosopher, circa 400 b.c.

"If you tell a man you'll beat him for disobedience, he might defy you, because he could survive the beating. If you threaten to fire him, he can find another way to make money. If you threaten to kill him, he might not care, because then he goes to heaven. But if you convince him he will receive eternal damnation, he will do whatever you say."

---Edward Arthur Read----My Father, God rest his soul.

This doesn't mean I'm an Atheist. I'm not. But the things my Dad taught me stuck. Because they make sense.

And, I'm sorry. But as this relates to politics; Who is it that likes to court the Evangelist Churches seeking votes?:p
(I know, I know. But I just couldn't resist.)

Dave

Charles
10-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Propaganda only works on those who wish to believe.

Chas

BlueStreak
10-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Propaganda only works on those who wish to believe.

Chas

True, most of the time. I think it would be more accurate to say it rarely works on those who know propagana when they hear it.

But, that's just my opinion.

Dave

piece-itpete
10-21-2009, 08:25 AM
For centuries the Roman Catholic Church was one of the most effective political organizations that the world has ever known.

Regards,

D-Ray

Indeed. Heck one could argue that the Roman Empire never really died, not even now, just receded for a while.

True, most of the time. I think it would be more accurate to say it rarely works on those who know propagana when they hear it.

But, that's just my opinion.

Dave

I've read a number of books by a gentleman named William Shirer, who saw the rise of the Nazis and reported from Germany in that tumultuous time.

Many things he said stick with me, but a big one was, after he left Germany when war was declared, how effective blanket propaganda was, even on him (who saw at least partly what was going on).

The Chinese believe the world loves them.

Pete

Fast_Eddie
10-21-2009, 10:13 AM
The Chinese believe the world loves them.

So do a lot of Americans.

piece-itpete
10-21-2009, 10:47 AM
China = USA?

Pete

BlueStreak
10-21-2009, 11:27 AM
William Shirer. Got it. I'll be looking for his books, sounds like a fascinating read.

Thanks,
Dave

Charles
10-22-2009, 07:28 AM
So do a lot of Americans.

I thought everyone hated our guts. Now they don't even want our money.

Chas

merrylander
10-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Funny thing is we ignore the best friends we have most of the time and our politicians lie about their health care system.

piece-itpete
10-22-2009, 09:58 AM
William Shirer. Got it. I'll be looking for his books, sounds like a fascinating read.

Thanks,
Dave

He IS good, and you are welcome. I was using him as an example. We are pretty good at detecting propaganda, but only in a small sense most of the time imho. Common wisdom is often far from wise :)

Pete

BlueStreak
10-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Funny thing is we ignore the best friends we have most of the time and our politicians lie about their health care system.

They ignore and lie when it is politically expedient to do so. Do they not?
The right has shocking stories of abuse and neglect in the Canadian and European systems The left has shocking stories about ours.

All I know is what I see. Been to Europe, been to Canada. Saw a lot of healthy, happy looking people.

Here in the 'states I see a lot fat, lazy people with all sorts of health issues who constantly have to worry about their premiums becoming totally unaffordable, leading to bankruptcy....................and I wonder.

Who is full of shit, and how is it working out for them, Rob?

Dave

merrylander
10-23-2009, 07:27 AM
All I can tell you Dave is that I still have family and/or cousins clear across Canada and they tell me that all these horror stories are false. I think I would rather believe family than Grassley or Hatch.

piece-itpete
10-23-2009, 09:13 AM
I've always believed with respect to the various systems and politics of Europe and Canada that it works for them. My experience in Great Britain is very positive overall, it's very comfortable living although they don't seem to have the disposable income we do (everything is 'dear').

Just the same, my Gran in merry ol England had a problem with her eye. She had to wait a year to get an appointment, which showed cataracts, and another year for the surgery.

This has been a few years now so it may have changed. One thing that stuck with me, her doctor told her 'it'll be a year wait', she said that's impossible, because the PM just said on the telly that there wasn't any wait, they had a good laugh.

Pete

BlueStreak
10-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Just to prevent this thread from becoming a healthcare debate, I'll redirect it's course a little.

Had a conversation with a coworker, Ray, last night. (Yes, it's not just y'all I victimize.) that went something like this.

I was showing him pictures of my house on my Facebook album.
He noticed the American Flag flying on the front patio.

He asked,
"You fly the flag everyday?"

Me,
"Yep, 24/7/365."

Ray,
"Really?"

Me,
"I love my country, Ray. In my millitary days I participated in some pretty damn dangerous things on her behalf. My brother is a Vietnam Veteran, my father and all of my uncles were WW2 veterans, my Dads oldest brother was killed in WW2. I even had distant relatives, brothers, who fought on opposite sides of the civil war. And one, that we know of, who fought in the Revolution. I believe that America, if we Americans would stop fighting each other and work together, can achieve anything. We've achieved amazing things in the past, and we can do it again. Yep. I love this country."

Ray,
"Yeah but I didn't think that............."

Me,
"A center-left Democrat, or better yet, a non-conservative Republican can love America?"

Ray,
"Well, you gotta admit..........."

Me,
"No I don't. I think that there is nothing unpatriotic with disagreeing with rightwing pundits and politicians. As a matter of fact, I think people expressing their viewpoints, right or left, openly and freely is the very essence of freedom itself."

Ray,
"Yeah, but this country was founded on Christian principles. and the left......."

Me,
"Listen to a lot of talk radio and Fox News do ya?"

Ray,
"What's that got to do with it?"

Me,
"Nevermind."

Dave

Grumpy
10-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Too many people in this country don't know what to think unless told so..

piece-itpete
10-23-2009, 12:54 PM
.... As a matter of fact, I think people expressing their viewpoints, right or left, openly and freely is the very essence of freedom itself."....

Dave

Amen to that!

And it helps understand where other folks are coming from even if you disagree.

Grumpy, I believe you, because you told me so :D

Pete

Grumpy
10-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Amen to that!

And it helps understand where other folks are coming from even if you disagree.

Grumpy, I believe you, because you told me so :D

Pete

Good now send me all your pristine jazz records. Why ? Cause I told you so dam it ! :eek: :D

piece-itpete
10-26-2009, 08:48 AM
You should receive them soon :D

Thank you sir, may I have another??

Pete

noonereal
10-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Too many people in this country don't know what to think unless told so..

This is profoundly true. :(