PDA

View Full Version : A Moderate Arab

d-ray657
09-26-2012, 11:39 PM
I suppose we Americans retain a little bit of affinity for monarch. That's probably not the reason, but every time I hear King Abdullah of Jordan speak, I come away impressed. He appeared on the Daily Show (http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/tue-september-25-2012-king-abdullah-ii) again this week. Part of it, I'm sure, is that he was Western educated and knows how to speak to Western audience. But his description of the reforms and democratization process in his country provide a reason for hope. He speaks very reasonably about the bumps in the road that the fledgling democracies in the ME will experience, including his own Jordan, but he expects that democracy will eventually take hold. I hope that more voices like his begin to draw the world's attention.

Regards,

D-Ray

merrylander
09-27-2012, 06:31 AM
I would not hold my breath while waiting.

Boreas
09-27-2012, 09:08 AM
I suppose we Americans retain a little bit of affinity for monarch. That's probably not the reason, but every time I hear King Abdullah of Jordan speak, I come away impressed. He appeared on the Daily Show (http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/tue-september-25-2012-king-abdullah-ii) again this week. Part of it, I'm sure, is that he was Western educated and knows how to speak to Western audience. But his description of the reforms and democratization process in his country provide a reason for hope. He speaks very reasonably about the bumps in the road that the fledgling democracies in the ME will experience, including his own Jordan, but he expects that democracy will eventually take hold. I hope that more voices like his begin to draw the world's attention.

Regards,

D-Ray

His mother, Queen Noor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Noor), is very impressive.

John

Boreas
09-27-2012, 09:13 AM
If I remember correctly, Prince Abdullah was the director of Jordanian intelligence prior to his accession to the throne. That would make him worth listening to on the subject of Middle East unrest.

John

icenine
09-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Yeah he seems pretty moderate....but the problem with monarchies is that you never know what kind of King you will get when the nice one dies. Is he last in line? Or will his son take over? I have not been keeping up....

d-ray657
09-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Yeah he seems pretty moderate....but the problem with monarchies is that you never know what kind of King you will get when the nice one dies. Is he last in line? Or will his son take over? I have not been keeping up....

One of the questions Steward asked him was whether the reforms that are being implemented in Jordan would put him out of a job, and he answered that he hoped so.

His pragmatic political view was reflected in his attitude toward the Muslim Brotherhood. He indicated that the MB had been around in Jordan for several years, and that it had been participating in politics. The MB is very much opposed to the Monarchy. Nevertheless, the king was disappointed that the MB would not be taking part in the upcoming elections. I think that, at least in part, he was disappointed because he wanted to see the MB get its comeuppance. He said that they had been around long enough for the people to know what they are about, and that they had become somewhat unpopular. But it is a pretty savvy political actor to want his staunchest opponent to participate in the formal political scene.

Regards,

D-Ray

finnbow
09-27-2012, 10:10 AM
I think he and the King of Morocco are pretty much the only moderate voices in the Arab world. Both countries are actually pretty civilized, nice places to visit. Morocco is a great place to visit, in fact.

Boreas
09-27-2012, 10:32 AM
I think he and the King of Morocco are pretty much the only moderate voices in the Arab world. Both countries are actually pretty civilized, nice places to visit. Morocco is a great place to visit, in fact.

There are a LOT of Tuareg in Morocco. I think, in light of events in Mali (http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2012/07/2012715192710362142.html), Morocco may soon have their hands quite full.

John