PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Volt

Bigerik
10-26-2012, 07:57 AM
I was going to add something after the name, but that in of itself is polarizing enough.

It just drives me crazy how the GOP has turned a huge success for America and American industry, and all the Yankee ingenuity stuff that y'all used to be so proud of, into a negative. It works, and it is brilliant. It was designed before GM got into all of the crap they found themselves in. It is NOT a government motors project. It was not designed by Obama and his buddies.

Yes, it is expensive, compared to an economy car. Not so much compared to the less advanced BMW 3 series, for instance. No, it has not set sales records, nor was it meant to. Like the Prius (which had Japanese government support while being developed) and the Insight, it will lose money for it's manufacturer for the first years. New technology, especially advanced technology will do that.

There used to be a time when Americans would have been almost nauseating in their praise of a product like the Volt. We would have heard nothing but how great it is and people would have felt patriotic just buying it.

Now, however, the GOP has decided that they would rather trash an American product to gain political points then support American jobs, engineering and American manufacturing. Disgusting and pathetic.

THIS is why America will collapse.

Bigerik
10-26-2012, 07:58 AM
BTW, I have driven the Volt many times, studied it, spoken with the engineers who designed it, and I am still blown away by how great this car is.

whell
10-26-2012, 08:37 AM
It is a great car. It's a great piece of engineering. It has been in development for years before Obama took office. It is surrounded by a great product development and support team.

...and yet the market economics for the vehicle are all wrong.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/10/us-generalmotors-autos-volt-idUSBRE88904J20120910

piece-itpete
10-26-2012, 09:21 AM
It's the GOPs fault whell - get with the program!

Pete

JBS...
10-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Yes, it is expensive, compared to an economy car. Not so much compared to the less advanced BMW 3 series, for instance. No, it has not set sales records, nor was it meant to. Like the Prius (which had Japanese government support while being developed) and the Insight, it will lose money for it's manufacturer for the first years. New technology, especially advanced technology will do that.

I totally agree :)

Me personally, I’m just waiting for a 4 wheel drive pickup version that comes with the standard GOP gun rack option before I buy..

JJIII
10-26-2012, 11:30 AM

Me personally, I’m just waiting for a 4 wheel drive pickup version that comes with the standard GOP gun rack option before I buy..

Now you're talking!:D

Boreas
10-26-2012, 11:36 AM

Now you're talking!:D

Don't forget the bed cover with the Stars & Bars on it.

John

bobabode
10-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Neocon republicant luddites, unite! and march off the nearest cliff. Do it fer Amurikkka.:rolleyes:;)

bobabode
10-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Neocon republicant luddites, unite! and march off the nearest cliff. Do it fer Amurikkka.:rolleyes:;)

No sense of humor left on the right?:confused:

piece-itpete
10-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Oh yeah leftie, pretend you didn't mean it :mad:

:D

Pete

d-ray657
10-26-2012, 12:37 PM
If I had the money for a sports car, I would buy a Volt. Perhaps is should have been marketed more as a vehicle for elites. Then we would have had all sorts of covetousness going on.

Regards,

D-Ray

bobabode
10-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Oh yeah leftie, pretend you didn't mean it :mad:

Pete

"There's always a kernel of truth in every good joke!" Bill Mahr:D

Bigerik
10-26-2012, 12:50 PM
It is a great car. It's a great piece of engineering. It has been in development for years before Obama took office. It is surrounded by a great product development and support team.

...and yet the market economics for the vehicle are all wrong.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/10/us-generalmotors-autos-volt-idUSBRE88904J20120910

Cept that article is dead wrong. That is not how you cost out something like a new automotive technology. It was just recently written that using the same approach, the first new Ford Fusion sold lost Ford $2 billion. Thankfully, once they sold the second one, the loss dropped to only $1 billion per vehicle. :)

Lets keep in mind that when the Prius was launched gas was under $1 a gallon. They have now sold more than 2 million of them, even though they lost a ton of money on each one when it entered production. Same deal for the Honda Insight.

Bigerik
10-26-2012, 12:53 PM
If I had the money for a sports car, I would buy a Volt. Perhaps is should have been marketed more as a vehicle for elites. Then we would have had all sorts of covetousness going on.

Regards,

D-Ray

It's not doing too badly, actually. They have sold about 30,000 of them, putting them well ahead of the Prius at this point in its sales history, and twice as many Insights as Honda managed to sell in 7 years.

wgrr
10-26-2012, 01:05 PM
I drove a Volt last week. It was a 2013 model. Full price was $39,150, they pay the sales tax. Max out the options you are looking at $44,500 We drove a few Toyota Avalons the week before 2012 models one option down from the deluxe model. $46,500 I pay the sales tax. Both cars were very nice.

For practical purposes the Volt is an ideal car for Janet. She drives a few miles to and from her office, likes to shop at the stores with overstock items from other stores like TJ Maxx that are all very close to our house. The fancy stores, she likes to shop at, are in the Promenade Mall in Rogers, AR about a 20 mile round trip.

We have driven Mercedes, Lexus, Porsches, Chevy and Toyota trucks since 1978. I am not going to say the Volt was like driving a 126 body 560SEL Mercedes, but it is a very well engineered car and is a joy to drive. Janet drives about 3000 miles a year. The Volt would be perfect for her.

We drove the new Chevy Malibu and were underwhelmed. It is reviewed as a very solid handling car. I did not get that impression. I felt like the rear end was trying to break loose and the suspension was clunky. The LTZ package is maddening. Starting off with only two cylinders firing and then the full eight kick in it felt like driving an old turbodiesel Mercedes. The bumper to bumper lifetime warranty was enticing. Fully optioned they sell for about $34,000.

I don't see what all the fuss about the price of the Volt is. $40,000 won't buy a fully optioned, 4x4, extended cab, Chevy half ton truck nowadays, and there are a whole bunch of them on the road here.

piece-itpete
10-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Still $40k is not exactly a budget car. In fairness to the PU owners they often (but not always! :)) have work reasons.

I was thinking about hybrids and their perceived complexity the other day. It occured to me that internal combustion engines, particularly modern ones, are incredibly complex. The sales folks for hybrids should be pointing that out.

Pete

finnbow
10-26-2012, 01:32 PM
I don't see what all the fuss about the price of the Volt is. $40,000 won't buy a fully optioned, 4x4, extended cab, Chevy half ton truck nowadays, and there are a whole bunch of them on the road here.

OTOH, you can buy a new Mazda3 for ~$18K and get an honest 40 mpg in a fun-driving package.

wgrr
10-26-2012, 01:44 PM

Regards,

D-Ray

Raise the price to $80,000 and sell the design to Daimler Benz and slap a star on it it just might sell to people with more money than brains. The interior would need a lot of wood trim and at least an E class interior.

Me, I am gunning for a used Mercedes 560 SEC AMG hammer. Surprisingly I can buy one at auction, in pristine condition, below 100,000 on the odo, for less than $10,000 So what if it only gets 10 mpg highway 8 mpg city. It's just money and you might as well have fun. :D

bobabode
10-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Raise the price to $80,000 and sell the design to Daimler Benz and slap a star on it it just might sell to people with more money than brains. The interior would need a lot of wood trim and at least an E class interior.

Me, I am gunning for a used Mercedes 560 SEC AMG hammer. Surprisingly I can buy one at auction, in pristine condition, below 100,000 on the odo, for less than $10,000 So what if it only gets 10 mpg highway 8 mpg city. It's just money and you might as well have fun. :D

Ralph Nader's gonna git you!:rolleyes::D

Bigerik
10-26-2012, 02:48 PM
OTOH, you can buy a new Mazda3 for ~$18K and get an honest 40 mpg in a fun-driving package.

You could make that case for pretty well every car that costs more than a Mazda 3. The one thing you don't get with the Mazda is the opportunity to buy American.

piece-itpete
10-26-2012, 02:53 PM
When'd that ever stop a leftie? :p ;)

Pete

JBS...
10-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Cept that article is dead wrong. That is not how you cost out something like a new automotive technology. It was just recently written that using the same approach, the first new Ford Fusion sold lost Ford $2 billion. Thankfully, once they sold the second one, the loss dropped to only $1 billion per vehicle. :)

Lets keep in mind that when the Prius was launched gas was under $1 a gallon. They have now sold more than 2 million of them, even though they lost a ton of money on each one when it entered production. Same deal for the Honda Insight.

What your not taking into account is that the Ford Fusion was a tophat strategy. Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan and Lincoln mkz were all built of the same chassis. One platform built all the models and was very successful...

bobabode
10-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Teabaggers at AK got the Volt thread over there closed down. I wonder if he'll come on over here? We're far less charitable to the home schooled.:rolleyes:

CarlV
10-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Teabaggers at AK got the Volt thread over there closed down. I wonder if he'll come on over here? We're far less charitable to the home schooled.:rolleyes:

http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/12170414/2/stock-photo-12170414-electric-shock-therapy.jpg

:)

Carl

Wasillaguy
10-26-2012, 11:44 PM
I'd love a little electric for runs to town, but in my environment it's a double edge sword. On one hand, batteries do very well in cold weather. On the other hand, trying to warm the cabin of an electric vehicle would very quickly drain those batteries.

bobabode
10-26-2012, 11:52 PM
I'd love a little electric for runs to town, but in my environment it's a double edge sword. On one hand, batteries do very well in cold weather. On the other hand, trying to warm the cabin of an electric vehicle would very quickly drain those batteries.

One guy who actually owns one said it had a seat warmer feature that worked pretty good and didn't drain the battery before you would get to the end of the driveway.
I'm with JBStimpy on one thing, it has to be available in a pick up truck version before I would trade in my Ford Ranger V6 for this. I'll even take the gun rack. It would give me a handy place to carry my four foot glass bong...:rolleyes:

Bigerik
10-27-2012, 08:07 AM

I ended up closing it over there because it got so bad. As a rule, I try not to moderate threads I am heavily involved in, but that one got so nasty I ad to shut it down.

I did invite them over here to discuss. Wonder if they will show up.

Bigerik
10-27-2012, 08:14 AM
What your not taking into account is that the Ford Fusion was a tophat strategy. Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan and Lincoln mkz were all built of the same chassis. One platform built all the models and was very successful...

And the Volt platform is spawning many models.

Just like the Volt:

http://www.blogcdn.com/green.autoblog.com/media/2009/08/chevy-volt.jpg

The Cadilac ELR:

http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/cadillac-elr-converj.jpg?w=630

http://www.cadillac.com/content/dam/Cadillac/Global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Vehicles/Future_Vehicles/ELR/01_Model_Overview/01_images/cadillac-ELR-masthead-mm-1-960x320v1.jpg

The VOlt MPV5:

http://assets.inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2010/04/Volt-Crossover-3.jpg

bobabode
10-27-2012, 08:36 AM
I ended up closing it over there because it got so bad. As a rule, I try not to moderate threads I am heavily involved in, but that one got so nasty I ad to shut it down.

One can only hope...;) I almost admonished them a few pages back but figured thay would simply ignore and continue on, as they did. I'm no angel but some, particularly the tea sippers, have that strange disease that their beliefs would be followed by everyone else if they only shout them louder and louder, sprinkled with insults. Exceptualitis coupled with Romnesia... a preexisting condition covered under by Obamacare.:D

bobabode
10-27-2012, 08:38 AM
That Caddy is a work of art!

Bigerik
10-27-2012, 08:55 AM
One can only hope...;) I almost admonished them a few pages back but figured thay would simply ignore and continue on, as they did. I'm no angel but some, particularly the tea sippers, have that strange disease that their beliefs would be followed by everyone else if they only shout them louder and louder, sprinkled with insults. Exceptualitis coupled with Romnesia... a preexisting condition covered under by Obamacare.:D

If they are true Romneyites, I doubt they will be able to find their way over here....

I kept trying to talk about the car, not the politics of it, but they sure weren't interested in that. Didn't help their case that pretty well ALL of their facts were wrong...

Bigerik
10-27-2012, 08:59 AM
That Caddy is a work of art!

Yup. GM has got it's mojo back.

Simply a stunning looking car.

Boreas
10-27-2012, 10:43 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V1nmn2zRMc

And Castle's a Republican.

They chased him out of the Party. The baggers put Christine "I'm not a witch; I'm you" against him and he lost his primary.

John

Boreas
10-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Yup. GM has got it's mojo back.

Simply a stunning looking car.

Think so. There are a couple of Cadillacs that are REALLY impressive. Now, if they wound make the Corvette into a real sports GT again..... I saw a very nice '54 for sale yesterday. Maybe I should look into it.

John

Charles
11-02-2012, 03:55 PM
If Volt's are so great, how come none of you lib's have bought one?

Chas

Boreas
11-02-2012, 04:20 PM

Chas

Cuz we're already driving Priuses, of course! Don't you cons know anything? (A rhetorical question.)

Why is whether or not the Volt is a great car suddenly a political issue?

Oh, wait! I get it! Since Obama saved GM, the Volt is "Obama's car". That makes it a very bad car.

John

d-ray657
11-02-2012, 04:30 PM

Chas

If I was in the market for any car, I would consider it. Admittedly, I would have to be in a higher tax bracket. Everything I have read about the car, however, is that it compares favorably in many ways with high end cars in terms of styling and engineering. When/if I reach the point where I am able to afford such transportation, I expect Volts to be in their second or third generation (and probably relatively less expensive)

Regards,

D-Ray

bobabode
11-02-2012, 05:25 PM

Chas

Obama promised me one if I would come to Bugtussel and canvas your neighborhood;), unfortunately they haven't come out with a hearst model, yet. :rolleyes:

Charles
11-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Cuz we're already driving Priuses, of course! Don't you cons know anything? (A rhetorical question.)

Why is whether or not the Volt is a great car suddenly a political issue?

Oh, wait! I get it! Since Obama saved GM, the Volt is "Obama's car". That makes it a very bad car.

John

Being a knuckle dragging conservative...and proud of it...I have always considered the purchase of a Volt to be an economic issue as opposed to a political issue.

IMHO, they cost too much for what you get. And while I may be wrong, I suspect that maintenance and depreciation will be a real BEAR on one.

Actually, the "Pious" has proven itself to the point as being a viable vehicle. One of my associates (a somewhat wealthy Republican) just bought one and sings it's praises. He claims he gets 54 MPG...but you know what a bunch of liars Republicans are.

I've never politicized the Volt. It's you lefties who have politicized it. I'm not too hep on Obama, but I'm not so stupid as to turn down a good deal under the misconception that somehow I'm showing you Donks that Obama's policies are a failure.

I'm not buying one because it makes no economic sense to me. And when you look around the table, way better than 99% of Americans agree with me.

Including yourselves.

Chas

bobabode
11-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Being a knuckle dragging conservative...and proud of it...
Chas

Fuzzy wuzzy was a bear....:cool:

Did you get those bugs worked out of your tube amps, Charlie?

Charles
11-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Obama promised me one if I would come to Bugtussel and canvas your neighborhood;), unfortunately they haven't come out with a hearst model, yet. :rolleyes:

I drove a Hurst 442 once...that thing would lay rubber in four gears.

Amazing powerful for a small block.

But since we're speaking of politics, I have one campaign sign in my yard, and it's for a Democrat. The Republicans aren't even putting up signs...because they know it's gonna be a bloodbath.

Now consider that Missouri is still considered to be a bell weather state...although McCain managed to squeak out a win with something like 1% or less.

Romney is pulling something like 10% or better here in the Show Me State. And I doubt that 2010 was an aberration, which was a slaughter for the Democrats.

I suspect that the "Silent Majority" is still out there...sharping their knives.

But we'll know in a few days, won't we?

Chas

BlueStreak
11-02-2012, 06:05 PM

Well, don't you know just how insideous and un-American the Marxist plot to shove electric cars down our throats really is?

Yeah, I don't get it either. What in the hell are they talking about?:confused:

And we're the one who are stupid and/or insane, Erik.:rolleyes:

Regards,
Dave

Boreas
11-02-2012, 06:17 PM
I drove a Hurst 442 once...that thing would lay rubber in four gears.

Amazing powerful for a small block.

Except for 1964 (first year) the 4-4-2 had a 400 CID V8. Not the biggest thing around but not a small block. These were pretty much on a par with the Pontiac GTO, which had a 389 CID V8 and then a 400, until the "Goat" got a 455.

John

Boreas
11-02-2012, 06:19 PM
I've never politicized the Volt. It's you lefties who have politicized it.

Really? How?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmb2c5vQC_0

John

Charles
11-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Fuzzy wuzzy was a bear....:cool:

Did you get those bugs worked out of your tube amps, Charlie?

I think you're confused. About the only issue I have at this time is my 1000A requires the balance pot to be moved off center...it's no biggie, but I don't like moving the balance pot.

Don't really know what happened to it, other that an output valve developed an internal short and I replaced it with an older one.

I use my Dared's anyway.

Did pick up a pretty slick set of Klipsch Quartets for $350 off of Craigslist. Things like that just don't come around in central Missouri very often..didn't really want them...but I considered it to be a sin not to buy them.

Very similar to my augmented Hornshoppes. While the Klipsch's have a more expansive sound, and require more volume than the HS to sound good, they miss the sweet spot for female vocalists.

I suppose it doesn't really matter what I think, as my wife thinks the Quartets are too kewl for skool. I reckon I'm looking at Crites upgrades to make me happy.

BTW, I have a nice set of Hornshoppes with the upgraded 126En drivers, a set of Fostex FT 17 super tweets in solid oak boxes, and a Parts Express Titanic MKIII sub looking for a new home.

But they're not for sale.

Rekkerd players are a sickness, just like Political Chat. Once you become involved, it's an addiction worse than heroin.

Fuck me,

Chas

Charles
11-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Really? How?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmb2c5vQC_0

John

They don't speak for me.

I blow my own horn.

Chas

bobabode
11-02-2012, 07:08 PM
I think you're confused. About the only issue I have at this time is my 1000A requires the balance pot to be moved off center...it's no biggie, but I don't like moving the balance pot.

Don't really know what happened to it, other that an output valve developed an internal short and I replaced it with an older one.

I use my Dared's anyway.

Did pick up a pretty slick set of Klipsch Quartets for $350 off of Craigslist. Things like that just don't come around in central Missouri very often..didn't really want them...but I considered it to be a sin not to buy them.

Very similar to my augmented Hornshoppes. While the Klipsch's have a more expansive sound, and require more volume than the HS to sound good, they miss the sweet spot for female vocalists.

I suppose it doesn't really matter what I think, as my wife thinks the Quartets are too kewl for skool. I reckon I'm looking at Crites upgrades to make me happy.

BTW, I have a nice set of Hornshoppes with the upgraded 126En drivers, a set of Fostex FT 17 super tweets in solid oak boxes, and a Parts Express Titanic MKIII sub looking for a new home.

But they're not for sale.

Rekkerd players are a sickness, just like Political Chat. Once you become involved, it's an addiction worse than heroin.

Fuck me,

Chas

You're a lucky man, Charlie. My old lady has been scowling at my Vandersteen Three's ever since I bought 'em. $425- in trade for services rendered. Sorry for the confusion, I thought you were trying to track down a hum in an old tube amp. Probably that wacky-tabacky my teabagger neighbor grows on his back patio has something to do with that;).

Boreas
11-02-2012, 07:24 PM
They don't speak for me.

I blow my own horn.

Chas

Not sayin' they do but it sure blows a big hole in your contention that the left has politicized the Volt.

John

Bigerik
11-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Who on the left has politicized it? I see commentary, all very favourable, in the car magazines, and the green blogs. Doesn't make the mainstream, unless it is on some right wing station attacking it for being part of th Obama motors conspiracy.

Please show me where the left have politicized it?

bobabode
11-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Chas

Auction 'em off for AK in Bartertown. Just a suggestion. I drag any more speaks into my pad, I'll be sleeping in my garage.;)

Charles
11-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Except for 1964 (first year) the 4-4-2 had a 400 CID V8. Not the biggest thing around but not a small block. These were pretty much on a par with the Pontiac GTO, which had a 389 CID V8 and then a 400, until the "Goat" got a 455.

John

No wonder it ran so good.

Belonged to a friend, he said it was a 350. But he never knew anything about a car.

Chas

Charles
11-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Who on the left has politicized it? I see commentary, all very favourable, in the car magazines, and the green blogs. Doesn't make the mainstream, unless it is on some right wing station attacking it for being part of th Obama motors conspiracy.

Please show me where the left have politicized it?

Thought you just did.

Chas

BlueStreak
11-03-2012, 08:37 PM

Belonged to a friend, he said it was a 350. But he never knew anything about a car.

Chas

I have a friend who thinks every V8 is a Chevy 350. Seriously.

Dave

Boreas
11-03-2012, 08:42 PM

Chas

Maybe it was a '64? That was a 330.

John

Charles
11-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Maybe it was a '64? That was a 330.

John

I'm thinking it was a '68 or '69. Drove it in '74 or '75...it was yellow if that means anything.

I look at a vehicle as a tool, takes you from A to B. I can generally fix one, but it's not my favorite thing to do.

To tell the truth, getting in my easy chair with a blanket and taking a nap is pretty much my favorite thing to do. Besides popping a cork.

Chas

Bigerik
11-04-2012, 06:52 AM
Thought you just did.

Chas

Didn't realize car magazines were leftist. Thanks!

piece-itpete
11-05-2012, 09:52 AM
If the Volt is a good value it will be proven, as it will sell regardless of what the right thinks.

John

Call it the GM Hussein! :p :D

Pete

Bigerik
11-05-2012, 10:28 AM
If the Volt is a good value it will be proven, as it will sell regardless of what the right thinks.

Call it the GM Hussein! :p :D

Pete

Not quite.

There have been interviews with GM dealers and sales reps refusing to sell the Volt, because they are brainwashed by the GOP and the right wing media.

merrylander
11-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Here is the deal, bring your *&^%$# riceburner around and I'll get my wife in her Impala LS to blow the doors off it. She did it to a Jaguar so I guess a toy OTA (whatever that is) would be a piece of cake.

piece-itpete
11-05-2012, 10:53 AM
You tell it brother! :thumbsup:

Pete

Charles
11-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Not quite.

There have been interviews with GM dealers and sales reps refusing to sell the Volt, because they are brainwashed by the GOP and the right wing media.

I wouldn't buy one, but I'd damn well sell you one.

Actually, I'd probably try to steer you towards something more practical first, unless I perceived you as an arrogant rube with more money than sense. Or you demonstrated that you knew precisely what you were getting into.

Chas

Boreas
11-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Here is the deal, bring your *&^%$# riceburner around and I'll get my wife in her Impala LS to blow the doors off it. She did it to a Jaguar so I guess a toy OTA (whatever that is) would be a piece of cake.

Which Jag? Several models are just tarted up Fords.

John

merrylander
11-06-2012, 06:51 AM
It was the real deal, the full size sedan.

ebacon
11-19-2012, 11:26 AM
I get to drive a Volt for two days. Looking forward to getting my hybrid cherry popped. I have never been in a hybrid.

ebacon
11-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Well driving the Volt is interesting to say the least. When I worked at the research lab I helped build two electric cars, but that was back in the 1980s when the industry was still working on the power electronics. Creature comforts such as throttle feel were not even a consideration. For example I built the "throttles" on those old cars. The throttles were nothing more than crude pots strung to the accelerator pedals.

When I backed the Volt out of its parking space I was pleasantly surprised by the pedal feel. I was worried that I would have to tip into the throttle to back out and risk banging it up in tight quarters. No such thing happened. Instead I lifted my foot from the brake pedal and the software gently rolled the car backwards just as if it had a gasoline engine and an automatic trans. It felt natural which is all one can ask for.

Later tonight I took my family for a ride. This time I had to back the car up our driveway which is on an incline. That time I lifted my foot and the car sat still. I had to gently tip into the throttle so that the car would slowly back up the hill. Again it felt natural.

So far I have driven about 10 miles on battery power. The guage says I have 15 miles remaining which isn't bad considering my driving was at night with lights and heat on. Tomorrow morning I expect to burn more juice with the defroster and the battery will probably be dead by the time I get back to the office. After that I will drive it on engine power and see how it does.

This hybrid electrical stuff is pretty interesting. I've written a few patents on the technology over the past ten years but this is my first time behind the wheel. It is fun to experience the things I have been writing about.

piece-itpete
11-20-2012, 08:04 AM
Very cool!

Pete