PDA

View Full Version : Pro football vs. college life

d-ray657
10-26-2009, 08:01 AM
The title of the forum is off-topic, and this fits.

Sam Bradford, OU's superstar quarterback, announced he will have surgery, miss the rest of the season and enter next year's NFL draft. Many people are saying that he was foolish to come back to school when he would have been a high draft pick last year and be making millions of dollars now. I say hogwash.

Bradford signed up for the experience of playing college football. College offers opportunities in life that can seldom be repeated. The diversity on a college campus, the youth, the learning environment, the opportunities to meet new friends, the entire social scene. There's just nothing like a college campus.

Bradford decided to have one more year of the college campus before throwing himself into the real world of competing with others to make a living. Even without top draft status, he will make a fine living in the NFL, even if it's only for a year or two. I can't fault him for deciding that some things are more important than making the top dollar.

Regards,

D-Ray

merrylander
10-26-2009, 01:15 PM
You left out binge drinking.:D

noonereal
10-26-2009, 01:59 PM
binge drinking.:D

i had straight A's.

(Now I know Chas will be proud of me!)

d-ray657
10-26-2009, 02:04 PM
OU did offer classes in Theory of Football and Theory of Basketball, courses at which the head coaches appeared. Before he was busy covering up murders, Dave BLiss coached at OU. He started the class by asking any one who had ever had a coach they really didn't like to raise their hands. When about half of the class raised their hands, he responded "Well, we didn't like some of you SOBs either."

Charles
10-27-2009, 06:45 AM
i had straight A's.

(Now I know Chas will be proud of me!)

University I attended didn't offer any classes in Binge Drinking.

Damn Bible Belt!!!!!

Chas

merrylander
10-27-2009, 07:18 AM
I was fortunate enough to have dropped out after the tenth grade from sheer boredom, so I avoided binge drinking.

Charles
10-27-2009, 07:26 AM
I was fortunate enough to have dropped out after the tenth grade from sheer boredom, so I avoided bige drinking.

Perhaps that's why you're such a free thinker, and I'm not referring to binge drinking.

Chas

merrylander
10-27-2009, 07:35 AM
Maybe, probably why I am such a lousy typist as well.

d-ray657
10-27-2009, 08:08 AM
I can't type well either. I had nineteen years of scooling, but my head doesn't always connect with my fingers.

Regards,

D-Ray

merrylander
10-27-2009, 08:49 AM
My excuse is arthritis and a slightly mucked up left arm. The laugh is that I made a decent living as a technical author and writer. Of course I had Florence, the former teacher as my editor, wives are neat.

d-ray657
10-27-2009, 09:16 AM
My excuse is arthritis and a slightly mucked up left arm. The laugh is that I made a decent living as a technical author and writer. Of course I had Florence, the former teacher as my editor, wives are neat.

My excuse is that I'm a klutz - and that my Firefox is messed up and Internet Explorer doesn't have spell-check.

After I showed the boys how much I edit my own writing, they took less offense at how much red ink I bled on their papers. I think I have the older one convinced that, even as a physics major, the ability to write well is important.

merrylander
10-27-2009, 12:15 PM
When Bell took me out of the switching centers and made me management I could get quite hard on poor writing by my staff. By the same token I also got hard nosed at review time defending those that gave me excellent work. I think I must have been doing all right because every time I had an opening I would have juniors asking had I filled it yet. I honestly believe had I stayed there I would have ended up working for some of the young people I trained.
Despite my supposed IQ I knew I was at the limit of my upward movement because of school and age.