PDA

View Full Version : "China powerless to prevent rising tide of Tibetan self-immolations"

bobabode
10-30-2012, 04:35 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/china-powerless-to-prevent-rising-tide-of-tibetan-self-immolations/2012/10/30/e3149830-22ac-11e2-8448-81b1ce7d6978_story_1.html

Fifty-five suicides by self-immolation, since 2009, protesting China rule.:(

WaPo

bobabode
10-30-2012, 04:45 PM
I started this in religio/politics as the two are inextricably linked. The Dalai Lama has said that he wishes no disrespect to the families and the memory of the dead in response to angry Chinese demands that he denounce the practice.

Oerets
10-30-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm afraid China will just let it burn out!

Barney

BlueStreak
10-31-2012, 01:03 AM
I've done quite a bit of reading about Bhuddism and have a healthy respect for their philosophy.

However,

Do you think the Communist Chinese really give a damn that a bunch of Bhuddist monks are cooking themselves? They probably think it's funny. It merely saves them the trouble of killing them off themselves.

Sorry, but these days, protest through suicide leads nowhere.

Regards,
Dave

Bigerik
10-31-2012, 06:25 AM
Yeah, but we are talking about it. It is getting into the world press. Pressure from outside could build.

finnbow
10-31-2012, 09:26 AM
I've done quite a bit of reading about Bhuddism and have a healthy respect for their philosophy.

However,

Do you think the Communist Chinese really give a damn that a bunch of Bhuddist monks are cooking themselves? They probably think it's funny. It merely saves them the trouble of killing them off themselves.

Sorry, but these days, protest through suicide leads nowhere.

Regards,
Dave

If only our Teabaggers would start setting themselves on fire. They're probably too stupid to strike a match though.:eek:

Wasillaguy
10-31-2012, 05:39 PM
If only our Teabaggers would start setting themselves on fire. They're probably too stupid to strike a match though.:eek:

Thanks for that. Someone was just blathering about my signature joke not being funny a couple days ago, and maybe it isn't. But when you make it specific to those you disagree with, and add in the too dumb to strike a match part, it's a pretty good chuckle!

bobabode
10-31-2012, 05:42 PM
If only you were dumb...:p

Dondilion
10-31-2012, 06:43 PM
Is there is a power bloc in China which is sensitive to such acts? I would say...No.

Boreas
10-31-2012, 06:55 PM
Is there is a power bloc in China which is sensitive to such acts? I would say...No.

They're sensitive to world opinion. A negative view of human rights in China can easily affect trade negatively. Sadly, not so much here in the Land of the Free.

John

Boreas
10-31-2012, 07:05 PM
Thanks for that. Someone was just blathering about my signature joke not being funny a couple days ago, and maybe it isn't. But when you make it specific to those you disagree with, and add in the too dumb to strike a match part, it's a pretty good chuckle!

Several of us "blathered about it", myself included. It's highly offensive and severely lacking in any semblance of humor. In all candor, I'd have to say much the same thing about Pat's comment.

That being said, there's an important distinction to be made between a perhaps ill considered (I would say out of character) remark in a single post and something that someone consciously and with apparent deliberation appends to every single post he makes. The former may be anomalous but the latter is most definitely in character.

John

bobabode
11-01-2012, 01:12 AM
Yeah, but we are talking about it. It is getting into the world press. Pressure from outside could build.

They're sensitive to world opinion. A negative view of human rights in China can easily affect trade negatively. Sadly, not so much here in the Land of the Free.

John

The Chinese occupiers have a $30,000 bounty on any of these people who are comtemplating this form of suicide. I would say that they are very worried about public opinion, particularly here. We are their major market for all of the crap that they make.
Another craptastic idea that we can lay at Nixon's door along with that other idea of the medical care for profit industry. Scum of the earth, he was.

Bigerik
11-01-2012, 05:53 AM
And yet, Romney makes Nixon look heroic.

piece-itpete
11-01-2012, 08:18 AM
I saw a poll a year or two ago, that the Chinese believe that the world loves them. Their news sources are heavily censored.

But the Middle Kingdom wants all to submit, like the good old days :) Till they're back on top, they will be sensitive - to a degree, as they can afford to be in any given situation.

Pete

Boreas
11-01-2012, 08:56 AM
I saw a poll a year or two ago, that the Chinese believe that the world loves them. Their news sources are heavily censored.

But the Middle Kingdom wants all to submit, like the good old days :) Till they're back on top, they will be sensitive - to a degree, as they can afford to be in any given situation.

Pete

Ah, yes! The Yellow Peril! Remember all the gulags and death camps the Chinese built throughout their globe spanning empire?

John

Wasillaguy
11-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Several of us "blathered about it", myself included. It's highly offensive and severely lacking in any semblance of humor. In all candor, I'd have to say much the same thing about Pat's comment.

That being said, there's an important distinction to be made between a perhaps ill considered (I would say out of character) remark in a single post and something that someone consciously and with apparent deliberation appends to every single post he makes. The former may be anomalous but the latter is most definitely in character.

John

There certainly is an important distinction, and I pointed it out. There are those who wish ill of others, and those who do not. My joke does not wish hateful intentions or pain and suffering on a particular group. Check back through my postings for as long as you'd like, I don't do hate and I don't denigrate anyone unless they want to play ball, at which point I'll shove the bat up their ass.
Another important distinction is between those with a sense of humor and those without.
Those who know when to take something literally, and when not.

Wasn't that awful when Ralph Kramden would curl his fist in his wife's face and say "To the moon Alice!". What an awful, mean, hateful person he was, threatening extreme physical violence on his wife.
Give me a break.

piece-itpete
11-01-2012, 12:52 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/29414259.jpg

:D

Pete

Boreas
11-01-2012, 02:50 PM
There certainly is an important distinction, and I pointed it out. There are those who wish ill of others, and those who do not. My joke does not wish hateful intentions or pain and suffering on a particular group. Check back through my postings for as long as you'd like, I don't do hate and I don't denigrate anyone unless they want to play ball, at which point I'll shove the bat up their ass.
Another important distinction is between those with a sense of humor and those without.

Wasn't that awful when Ralph Kramden would curl his fist in his wife's face and say "To the moon Alice!". What an awful, mean, hateful person he was, threatening extreme physical violence on his wife.
Give me a break.

I see! Jokes where the punch line is the death by burning of some unnamed person are funny. On the other hand, jokes in which you are the butt are in decidedly poor taste. I think I get it now. Jokes are always funnier after they've been carefully explained.

John

Wasillaguy
11-01-2012, 04:35 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/29414259.jpg

:D

Pete

LOL!

See, now Pete here falls into the category of folks with a sense of humor.
As a master of fact, I think he also is the type who knows what to take literally.
Obviously, he's also a caring chap, what with his inquiry as to my extinguishing the flaming anonymous man.

bobabode
11-01-2012, 04:43 PM
There certainly is an important distinction, and I pointed it out. There are those who wish ill of others, and those who do not. My joke does not wish hateful intentions or pain and suffering on a particular group. Check back through my postings for as long as you'd like, I don't do hate and I don't denigrate anyone unless they want to play ball, at which point I'll shove the bat up their ass.Another important distinction is between those with a sense of humor and those without.

Give me a break.

How's that bat tasting? Have you done finished lickin' it clean?

Wasillaguy
11-01-2012, 04:48 PM
How's that bat tasting? Have you done finished lickin' it clean?

...and on the other end of the spectrum, I give you this guy, with the playground level insults and put downs.

Which one are you "leaning forward" toward Boreas?

bobabode
11-01-2012, 04:55 PM
...and on the other end of the spectrum, I give you this guy, with the playground level insults and put downs.

Which one are you "leaning forward" toward Boreas?

You sure can dish it out but you can't take it? Why is that? Better yet, don't whine. It just makes you more didiculous than you already are. Who's ass are you going to stick what bat up into?
Dude, first you are a big balls tough guy from Alaska, then you're a snotty little b***h. Make up your mind or get some therapy.

Wasillaguy
11-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Who's ass are you going to stick what bat up into?

Never read the part about knowing what to take literally, huh?
It's ok, I'll explain. See, "play ball" was a euphemism for the subject at hand, which was personal attacks and wishing ill of others.
The "shove the bat" portion, was a play on the former euphemism, indicating that if someone of poor character insists on nasty verbal attacks, I will return in kind.

It's really tiring and not very entertaining explaining this stuff all the time, but I think you need the help, so I'll do what I can.

Boreas
11-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Never read the part about knowing what to take literally, huh?
It's ok, I'll explain. See, "play ball" was a euphemism for the subject at hand, which was personal attacks and wishing ill of others.
The "shove the bat" portion, was a play on the former euphemism, indicating that if someone of poor character insists on nasty verbal attacks, I will return in kind.

It's really tiring and not very entertaining explaining this stuff all the time, but I think you need the help, so I'll do what I can.

Of course, there is the aspect of cruel, violent and perverted imagery in every single "humorous" reference you make. That's what makes them such knee slappers.

John

piece-itpete
11-02-2012, 08:10 AM
For some reason this thread makes me think of the old joke, Why did the baby cross the road? ;)

Pete

Boreas
11-02-2012, 09:42 AM
For some reason this thread makes me think of the old joke, Why did the baby cross the road? ;)

Pete

Is this a baby joke? I hate baby jokes!

John

piece-itpete
11-02-2012, 10:17 AM
LOL!

Pete

Dondilion
11-02-2012, 06:39 PM
The Chinese occupiers have a $30,000 bounty on any of these people who are comtemplating this form of suicide. I would say that they are very worried about public opinion, particularly here. We are their major market for all of the crap that they make.
Another craptastic idea that we can lay at Nixon's door along with that other idea of the medical care for profit industry. Scum of the earth, he was.

In the long run the Chinese are going to innundate Tibet with Chinese.

bobabode
11-11-2012, 02:36 PM
In the long run the Chinese are going to innundate Tibet with Chinese.

I hope that you are wrong. Tibetans don't deserve a diaspora for resisting this invasion.