PDA

View Full Version : Damn, Boys, Just Damn...

Sandy G
10-31-2009, 07:33 AM
Had a Moment coming out of the local McDonald's this AM...It's broken overcast, & as I pulled out onto the road, the Sun hit the mountain ridge that forms one side of the basin that Rogersville is situated in...Glorious ! The slightly-beyond-peak leaves lit up like so many golden brown & maroon lanterns...The radio was playing The Who's 1971 hit, "Baba O'Riley", & it kicked in to the "good" part, right when Daltrey starts singing...I thought, "Damn ! What a country, & what a time to be alive !" And then I reassured myself that all this will endure, way beyond any of the current "gigantic midgets" on EITHER side of things. Always has. Always will.

noonereal
10-31-2009, 08:21 AM
Good post Sandy. We don't often enough take the time to appreciate our lives and the wonders of nature that we are a part of.

We had a soccer scrimmage the other day and the background was a beautiful vista of God's hills all in it' s most colorful fall attire.
The only man made structure visible was an old country church with a white steeple. Somehow it was very poetic.

JJIII
10-31-2009, 08:45 AM
You guys ain't gettin' all "mushy" now are ya? :D

It's good to get outside your head ever so often and take a good look at what something bigger than all of us has bestowed upon us. Amen.

Charles
10-31-2009, 08:55 AM
Have to admit, I't good to see "Ol' Sol" for a change.

Shame I'll be in the shop shooting Deft all day. And doing laundry on the side.

Chas

Sandy G
10-31-2009, 09:47 AM
Lauriann wants to go shoppin' for some sort of decorations for the Hobgoblins tonite...Its now raining & dreary, the town has a "Trunk or Treat" thing going downtown this evening to take care of the Hobgoblins, so I doubt we'll see many...But LA wants to do it, this is the 1st Halloween she's been here at the house for, so what can it hurt ? As much as I appreciate the town's collective efforts for Halloween, I still miss all the "L'il Shavers" coming around...They got candy, I got to visit w/their parents, lots of whom I know...

d-ray657
10-31-2009, 09:51 AM
I think that all of use who post here, right or left, recognize that we are fortunate to live in this country. We all appreciate the right to tell one another how pig-headed the other one is, and you all have the right to be wrong when you contradict my views. :rolleyes: I do believe that everyone who posts here wants to make this a better place to live. Certainly this is not a place for the apathetic; no matter how much we bash politicians we are still interested in what the political process creates. Among the blessings I count is the ability to expand my education by sharing ideas with people who know a lot more than me.

And, hey, if this sounds mushy, I'm a liberal, we're allowed. Heck, it's even OK for a liberal to be patriotic.

Regards,

D-Ray

noonereal
10-31-2009, 09:53 AM
Lauriann wants to go shoppin' for some sort of decorations for the Hobgoblins tonite...Its now raining & dreary, the town has a "Trunk or Treat" thing going downtown this evening to take care of the Hobgoblins, so I doubt we'll see many...But LA wants to do it, this is the 1st Halloween she's been here at the house for, so what can it hurt ? As much as I appreciate the town's collective efforts for Halloween, I still miss all the "L'il Shavers" coming around...They got candy, I got to visit w/their parents, lots of whom I know...

I know what you mean Sandy. Heck yesterday I went to the local high school boy's soccer game just to talk to some neighbors and be part of this fine country community.

d-ray657
10-31-2009, 09:58 AM
I know what you mean Sandy. Heck yesterday I went to the local high school boy's soccer game just to talk to some neighbors and be part of this fine country community.

One of the things I really miss, now that the boys have graduated, is all of the time spent visiting with the other baseball, basketball and football parents.

Regards,

D-Ray

Sandy G
10-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Hehehehe...I got in some of this "Better Than Sex" candy...It's called Mom Blakeman's Pulled Butter Candy, & is made in Kentucky...Back in the old days, the ingredients were listed as "Cow Butter & Sugar", now they have to TELL you what's in the cow butter & sugar...Anyhow, I saw some of my neighbors out in their yard the other day, & offered them some of it...Told 'em it WASN'T very good, I was just trying to get shut of it...& told them that I had more of it at the house, but I figured they wouldn't want it...Thought I might pass it out to some special friends tonite...I'm not really sposed to have any of it, but if you ALWAYS do exactly as you're told, you have a dull life...

noonereal
10-31-2009, 10:33 AM
Judging from your posts Sandy you know what you are talking about so i just order a sampler and the original.

16 oz Tins - Mixed Sampler $14.63 $14.63
12 oz Tins - Original $9.04 $9.04

BlueStreak
10-31-2009, 10:49 AM
It must just be one of those days............

Just came down off the roof. My house has a shallow pitch and the damn acorns just lay up there.

Anyhow, it's a GORGEOUS day here in the swamp!

Beautiful blue skies, leaves a changin', clean sweet smelling air......
A good day to be on the roof with a broom! Think I'll be outside all day, Fellas...........

Dave

Sandy G
10-31-2009, 10:54 AM
Ahh, you WON'T like it...Send it down here 'n' I'll Take Care of it for you...The variety that is chocolate-covered w/a pecan on top is especially odious...This woman that I gave some to says the best way to dispose of it is to bite off a small piece, kinda let it dissolve on the roof of yr mouth & tongue...You don't need to, but I think it keeps best if you stick it in the fridge...A glass of milk helps to wash the awful taste it leaves out of yr mouth, too...My dad used to go to Louisville about once every other month, & sometimes he'd stop at this little restaurant on the side of the road that sold it, & he'd bring back a "tin"...It didn't have a very long lifespan once it got here...

hillbilly
10-31-2009, 11:36 AM
One of the things I really miss, now that the boys have graduated, is all of the time spent visiting with the other baseball, basketball and football parents.

Regards,

D-Ray

Invite a few over to play cards or somethin'. Thing about kids that are active in sports, it brings alot of parents together, sometimes becoming friends for life. :)

merrylander
10-31-2009, 12:31 PM
All the neighborhood kids are grown past T or T so I sent the candy money to the Marines Toys for Tots campaign.

Looked out front and saw all the kitties curled up together in their pots. Took all the flowers out last week and scooped out enough soil to make it below the rim. Filled up with pine shavings and straw so they have places to curl up in. There are also three Kitty Campers, look like cloth Quonset huts with a heater in the floor. The mother cat is big enough to need one the others can share at two to a camper.

Sugar maple out back has shed its leaves, willow oak is just turning, sweet gun is all gold and the sugar maple in front is near its peak. Mess of leaves to pick up, but it is quiet and peaceful, neighbors are far enough away that we don't hear them. Life is good.