PDA

View Full Version : The Northwest Passage

bobabode
11-21-2012, 02:29 PM
Open for business!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_northwest_passage

finnbow
11-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Now, $arah will be able to see Greenland from her back porch.

ebacon
11-21-2012, 03:06 PM
From the wiki article:

"There has been speculation that with the advent of climate change the passage may become clear enough of ice to again permit safe commercial shipping for at least part of the year."

It says "again permit safe passage". When did it freeze closed?

bobabode
11-21-2012, 03:09 PM
From the wiki article:

"There has been speculation that with the advent of climate change the passage may become clear enough of ice to again permit safe commercial shipping for at least part of the year."

It still freezes closed every winter.

Boreas
11-21-2012, 03:44 PM
From the wiki article:

It has never been ice-free in recorded history.

The thing about an ice-free Arctic is that it makes drilling for offshore oil deposits in places like the Alaskan North Shore Siberia a hell of a lot easier, safer and most of all cheaper, especially since you can ship the oil via tanker instead of by long and dangerous pipelines. Just what Dr. Petro ordered!

No wonder the oil companies and their tame legislators try to trash climate science at every opportunity.

John

ebacon
11-21-2012, 04:03 PM

The thing about an ice-free Arctic is that it makes drilling for offshore oil deposits in places like the Alaskan North Shore Siberia a hell of a lot easier, safer and most of all cheaper, especially since you can ship the oil via tanker instead of by long and dangerous pipelines. Just what Dr. Petro ordered!

No wonder the oil companies and their tame legislators try to trash climate science at every opportunity.

John

Assuming the climate science is real, what is the Democrat's proposed legislative solution?

bobabode
11-21-2012, 04:05 PM

John

Agreed. I hope that when and if they do drill up there it will be with the BP disaster in mind. Get your King and Snow Crab Legs while they're still petro free.:rolleyes: Me? I'm safe from that concern, I'm highly allergic to all shellfish. Must've been those above ground nuke tests conducted in Nevada in the fifties and sixties. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downwinders. Funny how all of us L.A. basin folk stuck under an inversion layer laced with fallout in 1958 are not part of that group. I was a year old when it happened. Cancer has claimed my older sis and my older bro had his thyroid removed. Thanks assholes.:mad: A new thread topic.

Boreas
11-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Assuming the climate science is real, what is the Democrat's proposed legislative solution?

It's real. Sadly, the Democrats are no more committed to finding a solution than are the Republicans.

John

ebacon
11-21-2012, 04:36 PM
It's real. Sadly, the Democrats are no more committed to finding a solution than are the Republicans.

John

I hear you there.

bobabode
11-21-2012, 04:41 PM

John

I hear you there.

Ditto. I'm hopeful that with this nasty f**king election behind us that a much more progressive Obama comes out of the shadows and pushes back. Time will tell, I am cautiously optimistic.

Zeke
11-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Ditto. I'm hopeful that with this nasty f**king election behind us that a much more progressive Obama comes out of the shadows and pushes back. Time will tell, I am cautiously optimistic.

Me, too.

icenine
11-21-2012, 11:12 PM

John

Well at least gas will be cheaper before the planet turns into a hothouse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hothouse_(novel)

Boreas
11-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Well at least gas will be cheaper before the planet turns into a hothouse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hothouse_(novel)

Except gas will never be cheaper again.

John

Wasillaguy
11-22-2012, 11:29 AM
If it becomes a shipping lane it reduces fuel use and pollution, since many ships will no longer have to go all the way down to the Panama Canal.

icenine
11-22-2012, 11:34 AM

John

Yeah it will be going overseas to China and India for their exploding car markets.

Boreas
11-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Yeah it will be going overseas to China and India for their exploding car markets.

BINGO!

John

piece-itpete
11-26-2012, 10:26 AM

Fairy dust, breezy statements, with a big dose of gorvernment control and taxes.

:D See the responses?

John

True dat.

Pete