PDA

View Full Version : Shenanigans at the 1944 Dem convention

Dondilion
11-23-2012, 11:35 AM
I find fascinating the shenanigans, according to Oliver Stone's - The Secret History Of the United State (on Showtime) - which occurred at the 1944 Democratic Convention. The successful attempt to prevent Henry Wallace from getting the Vice President slot.

Stone account was done with great drama. This was just beautiful TV! :D

The powerful feared Wallace because Wallace acted and talked like a communist. However Wallace had lots of grassroots support and would have succeeded if extensive underhand methods were not used against him.

Truman got the slot.

mpholland
11-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Do you really think dirty politics is only a current event?

Bigerik
11-23-2012, 11:44 AM
And Truman ended up one of the finest Presidents in American history. I put him at least in the top 10. So you sure can't argue with the quality of the man who got the job.

Dondilion
11-23-2012, 12:04 PM
And Truman ended up one of the finest Presidents in American history. I put him at least in the top 10. So you sure can't argue with the quality of the man who got the job.

Yeah Truman really surprised!

I was not knowledgeable about Wallace until I watch Stone's Show. How the hell did Wallace get so close to power?

I guess one could argue what they did to him was better than they taking him out via Kennedy style.

BlueStreak
11-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Do you really think dirty politics is only a current event?

Amazing, isn't it? Like the outrage of one party that the other would stoop to using negative ads and the belief by some that this is something new; "The founders would never do such a thing!"..............:rolleyes:

Regards,
Dave

piece-itpete
11-26-2012, 10:07 AM
How about, the level of discourse in our current system is horrible and must be stopped?

It's part of our system.

Pete

icenine
11-26-2012, 02:02 PM
You can thank Henry for the All Seeing Eye....

http://greatseal.com/dollar/hawfdr.html

Schlesinger's first volume of the The Age Of Roosevelt has a very good vignette on Mr. Wallace....

Dondilion
11-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks! I had often wondered WTF that was without checking it out.

icenine
11-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Thanks! I had often wondered WTF that was without checking it out.

YW! Graduate School was not a complete waste;)