PDA

View Full Version : President Morsi in Eqypt going rogue?

bobabode
11-23-2012, 11:27 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/morsis-decree-sparks-rival-rallies-in-egypt/2012/11/23/288a1436-3571-11e2-bfd5-e202b6d7b501_story.html

Wasn't Mubarek's ouster a move away from the 'President for life' way of electing their leaders? There are already protests going on and international condemnation over what appears to be a huge power grab by a President who only got 53% of the vote.

icenine
11-24-2012, 02:01 AM
Sort of reminds me of Hitler's Enabling Acts in Germany back in the 30s....I guess Morsi was not influenced at all by American democracy when he lived here.

Dondilion
11-24-2012, 02:04 AM
He is head of the Moslem Brotherhood! :D

BlueStreak
11-24-2012, 09:10 AM
Dude, it's the Middle East, crazy things happen there.

Regards,
Dave

Oerets
11-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Does he have the support of the Army? If not then $hit just might be hitting the fan soon!

Barney

finnbow
11-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Does he have the support of the Army? If not then $hit just might be hitting the fan soon!

Barney

I think he did what he did to consolidate control over the Army, as he has recently shitcanned some of Mubarek's loyalists in the Army.

Dondilion
11-24-2012, 02:08 PM
I think he did what he did to consolidate control over the Army, as he has recently shitcanned some of Mubarek's loyalists in the Army.

Yeah, he is well aware of what the Algerian Military did to the Brotherhood.

bobabode
11-24-2012, 08:35 PM
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/24/15410858-egypts-top-judges-call-morsi-decree-unprecedented-attack?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=3

More news. Morsi needs to back off this crazy attack on the judiciary. IMO.

d-ray657
11-24-2012, 11:07 PM
I hope some moderating forces in Egypt gain some prominence, but it's not completely shocking what is going on. A slight analogy is to the child who grows up in an abusive home. The odds are high that the child will grow up to be an abuser as well. It is the normal that he or she knows.

The current leaders in Egypt came of age in a totalitarian regime. What they have learned is that those with power seek to consolidate power. The main reason for optimism, however, is that the populace has a recent learning experience with direct democract - the kind that is exercised in the streets. They are unlikely to be patient with another leader who seeks to implement an authoritarian regime. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2012/11/24/egytpian-protesters-muslim-brotherhood-offices-morsi/)

Regards,

D-Ray

Dondilion
11-24-2012, 11:46 PM
Yeah, he is well aware of what the Algerian Military did to the Brotherhood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algerian_Civil_War

piece-itpete
11-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Muslim Brotherhood x2.

Some Egyptians are calling him 'Pharaoh' :D

Pete

bobabode
07-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Army gives Morsi 48 hours to address the opposition's concerns. Tahrir Square is jam packed.

Dondilion
07-02-2013, 01:25 PM
The Brotherhood aim is Sharia. Everyone knows this. The fact that Morsi won a fair election only complicates things.

A coup is on its way.

piece-itpete
07-02-2013, 01:28 PM
I think this is terrible and puts a chill across the entire arab spring.

I hope and pray for a peaceful resolution. Perhaps it can end up for the best.

Pete

finnbow
07-02-2013, 02:33 PM
The Brotherhood aim is Sharia. Everyone knows this. The fact that Morsi won a fair election only complicates things.

A coup is on its way.

Perhaps not a bad thing in this instance. Then again ...:confused:

Oerets
07-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Does anyone not believe if there were demonstrations of this magnitude in the USA against an ineffective government, the military would not make a similar suggestion?

Just be kept quiet!

Barney

finnbow
07-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Does anyone not believe if there were demonstrations of this magnitude in the USA against the government, the military would not make a similar suggestion?

Just be kept quite!

Barney

No. Our military (or National Guard) may well step in, but in support of the administration who ordered it to do so. In Egypt, the military seems to be supporting the demonstrators, not the administration.

Oerets
07-02-2013, 03:58 PM
No. Our military (or National Guard) may well step in, but in support of the administration who ordered it to do so. In Egypt, the military seems to be supporting the demonstrators, not the administration.

I edited my original post to include "infective" when mentioning the government. I believe that if similar circumstances were to ever happen here the military may well sit on their hands if asked by the government to intervene. Letting it be know your on your own.

Barney

BlueStreak
07-02-2013, 04:17 PM

A coup is on its way.

Theocracy needs to be stamped out everywhere it tries to sow its oppressive and poisonous seed................

Including the United States.

Dave

BlueStreak
07-02-2013, 04:22 PM
They are chosing between an oppressive government and another potentially oppressive government.

I would just leave that frigging madhouse.

Dave

piece-itpete
07-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Theocracy needs to be stamped out everywhere it tries to sow its oppressive and poisonous seed................

Including the United States.

Dave

A second amendment solution, eh? ;)

Pete

merrylander
07-03-2013, 11:59 AM

Pete

No, just respect the First.

bobabode
07-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Looks like Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood went too far with his conservative agenda and the people are enraged. Millions in Tahrir Square?
Wow...

finnbow
07-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Looks like Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood went too far with his conservative agenda and the people are enraged. Millions in Tahrir Square?
Wow...

Meanwhile, there are several hundred thousand pro-Morsi protestors in the streets as well. This could get ugly.

bobabode
07-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Meanwhile, there are several hundred thousand pro-Morsi protestors in the streets as well. This could get ugly.

Military to speak in a little bit. I hope everyone takes a step back from violence and listens.

bobabode
07-03-2013, 02:08 PM
Morsi is done. New elections to be held.:)

whell
07-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Protesters in Egypt certainly have Obama on their minds. The $1 Billion in aid we recent sent over to Egypt has apparently really helped our foreign policy efforts. :rolleyes:

http://media.townhall.com/_townhall/uploads/2013/7/3/9.jpg
http://media.townhall.com/_townhall/uploads/2013/7/3/10.jpg
http://media.townhall.com/_townhall/uploads/2013/7/3/11.jpg

BlueStreak
07-03-2013, 04:58 PM

Pete

No, just respect the First.

That's right.

Dave

BlueStreak
07-03-2013, 05:03 PM
[QUOTE=whell;162774]Protesters in Egypt certainly have Obama on their minds. The $1 Billion in aid we recent sent over to Egypt has apparently really helped our foreign policy efforts. :rolleyes:

I see Egypt has it's teabaggers too. Only those ones can spell better English than ours.:p

In that battle both sides are ruthless dictators. So, in a way, they are right. You also need to remember-----They are also fighting Theocracy. They don't want their country run by religious zealots. And, I don't blame them. "Holymen on a mission from God" seem to be just about the worst form of dictator their is. They have a terrible track record.

Dave

BlueStreak
07-03-2013, 05:07 PM
I'm curious to see what comes of it if the military takes control and ousts both Morsi and The Muslim Brotherhood.

Because most military juntas end up bearing a close resemblence to Communism.

Egypt could be screwed no matter which way they turn.

Dave

bobabode
07-04-2013, 05:56 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/after-military-takeover-little-known-judge-named-interim-president-of-egypt/2013/07/04/9a553378-e473-11e2-aef3-339619eab080_story.html?hpid=z1

The Muslim Brotherhood leaders jailed and Morsi (No More;)) is under house arrest.

bobabode
07-04-2013, 06:00 PM
I'm curious to see what comes of it if the military takes control and ousts both Morsi and The Muslim Brotherhood.

Because most military juntas end up bearing a close resemblence to Communism.

Egypt could be screwed no matter which way they turn.

Dave

So far, they are making nice and promising swift new elections.

bobabode
07-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Protesters in Egypt certainly have Obama on their minds. The $1 Billion in aid we recent sent over to Egypt has apparently really helped our foreign policy efforts.

http://media.townhall.com/_townhall/uploads/2013/7/3/9.jpg
http://media.townhall.com/_townhall/uploads/2013/7/3/10.jpg
http://media.townhall.com/_townhall/uploads/2013/7/3/11.jpg

Pffft. Comparing those banners to the ones that your precious Tea Party has been waving? Those look tame and respectful.:rolleyes:

d-ray657
07-04-2013, 07:31 PM
This one has to be extremely tough for diplomats. I doubt that our government was pleased with the heavy-handed tactics by Morsi, but it is difficult to consider a leader elected with a legitimate majority as an illegitimate leader. It's not clear to me whether Moris has been replaced with the Devil that we don't know, insofar as some of the military have had long-term relationships with the US.

Who want's John Kerry's job right now?

Regards,

D-Ray

icenine
07-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Long story short Morsi was tanking the tourist industry, especially in the Sinai, which was popular with Italian tourists but under Morsi had become too dangerous with his minions trying to radicalize the area and causing trouble with Israel who had to put up a fence to protect their border.

Also the military makes up about 10 percent of private enterprise operations....Morsi was hurting them too with an inability to create a stable environment.

bobabode
07-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Morsi lost it when he ordered the Egyptian version of Jon Stewart arrested for making fun of him.:D

The "Morsi No More" line? I stole it from a Syrian shopkeeper around the corner. Real nice bunch of people.:)

Oerets
07-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Didn't he use to sing with the Smiths in the eighties?

Barney

whell
07-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Pffft. Comparing those banners to the ones that your precious Tea Party has been waving? Those look tame and respectful.:rolleyes:

Actually, I was thinking that this bunch reminds me very much of the OWS crowd, complete with the increase in sexual assaults. :eek:

finnbow
07-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Morsi lost it when he ordered the Egyptian version of Jon Stewart arrested for making fun of him.:D

That was Iran, Bob.

bobabode
07-05-2013, 01:10 AM
That was Iran, Bob.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bassem_Youssef_(television_host)
This is the one I'm thinking of. :D

BlueStreak
07-05-2013, 04:09 AM
Actually, I was thinking that this bunch reminds me very much of the OWS crowd, complete with the increase in sexual assaults. :eek:

Some of those OWS chicks were lookin' kinda hot. But, I imagine they smelled a little ripe after a week or so of living in a sleeping bag under the boxwoods.

(Disclaimer; This is not an endorsement of sexual assault. Sexual assault is NOT COOL. Not even on smelly hippy chicks.)

Dave

finnbow
07-05-2013, 08:23 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bassem_Youssef_(television_host)
This is the one I'm thinking of. :D

Ah, so. I thought you were referring to the incident in Iran that Jason Jones from the Daily Show was involved in (and which is the subject of the movie that Jon Stewart is making this summer).

finnbow
07-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Some of those OWS chicks were lookin' kinda hot. But, I imagine they smelled a little ripe after a week or so of living in a sleeping bag under the boxwoods.

(Disclaimer; This is not an endorsement of sexual assault. Sexual assault is NOT COOL. Not even on smelly hippy chicks.)

Dave

We used to call them Earth Mothers. In my experience, it was never remotely necessary to sexually assault them.;)

bobabode
07-05-2013, 04:20 PM

Yeh, you would:rolleyes:. Heh, the Occupy Wall Street crowd sure had the powers that be running scared with their drum circles and the way they wiggled their fingers in the air.

OOOooooOooOooo, people in funny costumes running around with signs decrying the tactics of those heroes of Wall St was a threat to the government....:rolleyes: Excuse me while I laugh.:p

piece-itpete
07-08-2013, 01:29 PM
Poor, poor Egypt.

Good thing it isn't a coup though :rolleyes:

Pete

bobabode
07-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Poor, poor Egypt.

Good thing it isn't a coup though :rolleyes:

Pete

Meh, I'm happy they toppled a budding theocracy.;)

whell
07-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Yeh, you would:rolleyes:. Heh, the Occupy Wall Street crowd sure had the powers that be running scared with their drum circles and the way they wiggled their fingers in the air.

OOOooooOooOooo, people in funny costumes running around with signs decrying the tactics of those heroes of Wall St was a threat to the government....:rolleyes: Excuse me while I laugh.:p

So, wear least agree that the OWS crowd scared no one and accomplished little. :p

icenine
07-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Some Muslim Brotherhood guys threw a 17 year old off a building over the weekend. The other ones they threw off survived.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/middleeast/la-fg-egypt-alexandria-20130708,0,1691249.story

I do not think a Muslim Brotherhood run Egypt would be good. Morsi blew it by trying to set up a Khomeini style theocracy and more importantly not creating a consensus run society dedicated to solving economic problems. Who knows what will happen next. And we really cannot dictate events in the Middle East.

bobabode
07-08-2013, 08:47 PM
So, wear least agree that the OWS crowd scared no one and accomplished little. :p

Oh, I dunno about that. You sure seem fixated on them, Mike.:confused: Why is that?

The media play they got was considerable for what that was worth. Apparently, that and six bits'll get you a cuppa coffee these days.:rolleyes:

bobabode
07-09-2013, 11:32 PM
We used to call them Earth Mothers. In my experience, it was never remotely necessary to sexually assault them.;)

Ain't that the truth... :D

bobabode
07-10-2013, 12:28 PM
The UAE and the Saudis pledge $8,000,000,000 in aid to Egypt!:eek:

How much are we giving, again?:rolleyes:

finnbow
07-10-2013, 02:20 PM
The UAE and the Saudis pledge $8,000,000,000 in aid to Egypt!:eek:

How much are we giving, again?:rolleyes:

~$1.5 billion

Oerets
07-10-2013, 02:52 PM
~$1.5 billion

Already delivered right?

Barney

bobabode
07-10-2013, 02:58 PM
~$1.5 billion

Dammit! I thought we were number one....:rolleyes: Actually, I applaud them taking up the slack. We don't need a theocracy running the Suez Canal and hemming in Israel any more than they already are.

finnbow
07-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Dammit! I thought we were number one....:rolleyes: Actually, I applaud them taking up the slack. We don't need a theocracy running the Suez Canal and hemming in Israel any more than they already are.

I just heard they're going through with the remaining 4 F-16's of a 12 plane deal, 8 of which were received before the latest blow-up.

Dondilion
07-10-2013, 07:25 PM

Israel cannot be hemmed in. Israel is the only nuclear power in the region.....nuclear everything.....submarine also.

As a matter of fact Israel is expanding.

It is an illusion Israel creates so it can continue to benefit from American largesse.
At the same time it is one of largest exporters of arms and military expertise.

In every major encounter with its neighbors it wins handily. And it has maintain a big qualitative difference with them.