PDA

View Full Version : Aliens, is there a cover-up?

BlueStreak
11-01-2009, 01:45 AM
I'm kinda sure there is. As a "sometimes" amateur astronomer I've spent many hours looking at the sky and I've seen some strange stuff.

How about you?

Dave

noonereal
11-01-2009, 02:32 AM
I'm kinda sure there is. As a "sometimes" amateur astronomer I've spent many hours looking at the sky and I've seen some strange stuff.

Seeing strange stuff in the sky and equating that to aliens is a Herculean leap.

hillbilly
11-01-2009, 02:43 AM
Couple weeks ago, well after dark walking our house dog out here in the sticks I saw circling lights going round and round up in the air with no sound .. and slowly landed in the woods. I came in the house to tell what I saw and my wife and kids went out to see, and the lights were still going round on the ground, in the woods here were folks are spaced apart in the sticks.

So, I hop on the four wheeler and head up the holler over the next hill and seen the old trail was blocked off. Few folks were there,but nobody going in, I didn't ask 'em nothing, I just turn around and went on back home. I figured the less I knew, the less likely I'd be hushed up to, lol ... ain't that how it works with strange sightings? Next morning my son texed me on the buss sayin' the folks up the hollers kids got on the buss and said a real cool country music video shoot took place in the woods on the farm beside them :D

merrylander
11-01-2009, 07:32 AM
If there is any intelligent life out there I would imagine they would be intelligent enough to stay away.

Sandy G
11-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Unless we prove tasty...remember the old Twilight Zone episode, "To Serve Man" ?!?

BlueStreak
11-01-2009, 08:27 AM
Once, in broad daylight, I saw something pretty friggin weird. I stepped out of my pickup at the local Food Lion, and saw a small crowd of people looking up at the sky. I asked what tey were looking at and a woman pointed up and said "Just watch that thing.". Turning to look I saw a silver object, not quite round, kinda squashed at the poles, way up high just hanging in the air, completely silent. I said, "Blimp, so what?". "Just watch." a man says. After a minute or so this thing took off, and I mean it was MOVING! Hauling ass faster than I've ever seen anything move, from a dead stop. It went halfway across the sky, made a 90 degree, and I mean a perfect right-angle, no arc turn without slowing down and kept going until it was gone from view.

The woman looked at me and said "I don't want to know." And the crowd dispersed.

That was some weird stuff, Dudes.

Dave

BlueStreak
11-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Oh, and if there is a cover-up, I'm sure Obama is behind it.

He's an Alien whose come here to disarm us and turn us into a food source.

Yeah, that's what it is!

Damn Democrats!

Dave

Sandy G
11-01-2009, 08:45 AM
Bingo, Buddy ! (grin) For something that "There's nothing to it" there sure is an awful lot of smoke, if not any real fire... But I don't know what the big deal is, if there IS something to it...If the Gummint came out tomorrow & said, "Yep, they're real, all right. Been here since 1897, anyway. We been working w/them since '47, & most of the stuff we now take for granted is their technology...." I'd kinda go-"So what ? Ain't gonna change nothin'...Still gotta get up tomorrow. My wife'll still go into the VA hospital, its her job. I'll still get on here, & spew out anti-Obama venom, & unless one of 'em shows up here, wanting my guns or radios & TVs, I ain't got no problem w/it..." (grin)

d-ray657
11-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Unless we prove tasty...remember the old Twilight Zone episode, "To Serve Man" ?!?

It's a cookbook!!:eek::eek:

BlueStreak
11-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Bingo, Buddy ! (grin) For something that "There's nothing to it" there sure is an awful lot of smoke, if not any real fire... But I don't know what the big deal is, if there IS something to it...If the Gummint came out tomorrow & said, "Yep, they're real, all right. Been here since 1897, anyway. We been working w/them since '47, & most of the stuff we now take for granted is their technology...." I'd kinda go-"So what ? Ain't gonna change nothin'...Still gotta get up tomorrow. My wife'll still go into the VA hospital, its her job. I'll still get on here, & spew out anti-Obama venom, & unless one of 'em shows up here, wanting my guns or radios & TVs, I ain't got no problem w/it..." (grin)

Put as simply as I can, Sandy.

The answer to your question "...what the big deal is..."; The Big Deal is-------religion. The same mentality that used to persecute people for saying the earth isn't flat, and the earth isn't the center of the universe. The same people who think earthquakes are caused by anal sex.

IMHO, the answer to your question is narrow minded imbeciles, Sandy.

Dave

noonereal
11-01-2009, 09:54 AM
If alien life is traveling to us they are here for only one reason, resources.
Whatever that may be to them.

All life forms us other lifeforms energy for their own energy if the can. In fact they look for ways to. Why would life forms from other planets be benevolent? The stupidest thing I have ever heard. If they were here they would be here to benefit themselves.

BlueStreak
11-01-2009, 09:57 AM
All I'm trying to say is this; If we exist, then why is it so hard to believe that there can be life elsewhere in the universe? If the odds are a trillion to one that there is another star with another planet rotatin' about it that can sustain life-----then it is definitely out there.

Dave

BlueStreak
11-01-2009, 10:03 AM

All life forms us other lifeforms energy for their own energy if the can. In fact they look for ways to. Why would life forms from other planets be benevolent? The stupidest thing I have ever heard. If they were here they would be here to benefit themselves.

Maybe they're not benevolent? Maybe the time for "harvest" just hasn't arrived yet?

They're waiting for word from Obama?:D

Dave

merrylander
11-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Even if you are very religious, what would have prevented God from looking upon us as a failed experiment and so He started all over somewhere else in another galaxy.:rolleyes:

noonereal
11-01-2009, 11:20 AM
There is likely life on other planets in our solar system and intelligent life in our galaxy.

Sandy G
11-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Why would God have created the whole cosmos & only had something called "life" form on this one small, backwards jerkwater of a planet ? And I can't see how it takes away from the "Majesty" of God for Him to have made life in LOTS of places. But maybe "sentient" life-Navel-gazers, if you will-IS fairly rare. After all, of ALL the many different types of life here, apparently WE'RE the only type that does. I dunno-If there IS another Earth-type planet somewhere, I'd like to go to THEIR 1954 & buy up a bunch of CT-100s...Take 'em a bunch of OUR POS LCDs & plasmas...Swap 'em a bunch of THEIR 1933 Duesenbergs for a couple 2010 Mercedes 500SELs...My damn luck, though, the CT-100s would be 220 volts or something, & their Doozies would be 2' long...

BlueStreak
11-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Even if you are very religious, what would have prevented God from looking upon us as a failed experiment and so He started all over somewhere else in another galaxy.:rolleyes:

'cuz he doesn't make mistakes.

Ummmm, ever seen a platypus?

Dave

Sandy G
11-01-2009, 12:30 PM
I rather doubt the Platypus considers himself a mistake....(grin)

BlueStreak
11-01-2009, 03:23 PM
I rather doubt the Platypus considers himself a mistake....(grin)

Touche'.

I am as wierd as the platypus and I consider myself to be the only sane person in a world gone insane.

Dave

JJIII
11-01-2009, 04:34 PM
"the only sane person in a world gone insane."

Me and you both!!!....???

merrylander
11-02-2009, 06:59 AM
There is only thee and me and I am none to sure about thee.

Boreas
11-02-2009, 04:42 PM

You're like the general in the '50s sci-fi flick who has his artillery fire on the saucer because - hey, ya never know - they might not wanna make friends. :)

I grant you that it's hard to think outside the box of what motivates us as a species but I believe it's a mistake to assume that an alien (in every sense of the word) species would operate in accordance with the same imperatives as we do. In all the universe there are simply no.... universals.

Also, there are ways and there are ways to use the energy of other living things. Not all are parasitic, predatory or otherwise destructive of the life form being so used. Many are beneficial to all involved.

John

HatchetJack
11-02-2009, 05:05 PM
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss125/Brotherwig/marsattacks.jpg

Sandy G
11-02-2009, 05:13 PM
"ALL YOUR BASE BELONG TO US...." Gaaaaaaack !!

painter
11-02-2009, 05:42 PM
You're like the general in the '50s sci-fi flick who has his artillery fire on the saucer because - hey, ya never know - they might not wanna make friends. :)

I grant you that it's hard to think outside the box of what motivates us as a species but I believe it's a mistake to assume that an alien (in every sense of the word) species would operate in accordance with the same imperatives as we do. In all the universe there are simply no.... universals.

Also, there are ways and there are ways to use the energy of other living things. Not all are parasitic, predatory or otherwise destructive of the life form being so used. Many are beneficial to all involved.

John

Exactly!

Boreas
11-02-2009, 07:16 PM
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss125/Brotherwig/marsattacks.jpg

So, is this what Heston looks like now? ;)

John

noonereal
11-03-2009, 05:48 AM

I am? In what way? Maybe you are assuming to much from one post.

I grant you that it's hard to think outside the box

Actually my thought is outside the box of the popular belief although it is share by a large number in the scientific community.

of what motivates us as a species but I believe it's a mistake to assume that an alien (in every sense of the word) species would operate in accordance with the same imperatives as we do.

and you base this on what? Why should we assume intelligent life from another world would be different than all life forms here? It's seems an odd leap you are making.

In all the universe there are simply no.... universals.

Well we do know life is energy and in order to sustain energy (life force) all species convert other species energies for their own. Even things we do not consider life forms like stars charge material into energy to sustain itself.

Also, there are ways and there are ways to use the energy of other living things. Not all are parasitic, predatory or otherwise destructive of the life form being so used.

Did I say otherwise?

Many are beneficial to all involved.

Let's hope this is the case if intelligent life ever comes here.

Yes, anything is possible but the general thought that a an alien life form would be benevolent by nature although possible is similar to the leap of faith we make in following organized religion. It's possible but not probable.

In fact your thoughts are the ones not outside the box. ;)

noonereal
11-03-2009, 05:51 AM
Exactly!

Another well though out post. :p

elwood127
11-04-2009, 09:52 AM
I'm a firm believer that earth is the galactic tourism destination. We are the ultimate zoo. We have quaint little wars. Auto racing. Water. Either that or field trips for school kids to observe how not to treat your planet.

BlueStreak
11-04-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm a firm believer that earth is the galactic tourism destination. We are the ultimate zoo. We have quaint little wars. Auto racing. Water. Either that or field trips for school kids to observe how not to treat your planet.

Exactly!

Right now, the're up there in the mothership, smoking a joint, watching our government and laughing their asses off.

Dave

BlueStreak
11-04-2009, 11:39 AM
So, is this what Heston looks like now? ;)

John

Didn't Heston take a petition to Richard Nixon demanding STRICTER gun controls back in '68-'69, Boreas?

Must have been before the NRA offered him a job as their spokesman?

As I've said before,
"Careful choosing actors as your heroes, they've made their careers pretending to be something they're not.":D

He's probably an alien to boot..............

Dave

merrylander
11-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Funny, the only person I ever saw Heston portraying on screen was himself.

piece-itpete
11-04-2009, 12:30 PM
If there is any intelligent life out there I would imagine they would be intelligent enough to stay away.

Lmao!!

As an old SF nut I like the thought of other sentinent beings.

But even considering the infinite nature of the universe, life here is so amazingly fragile. One massive explosion on the sun (among infinite other potentially horrible things) and pffft! goodbye Earth as a nursery.

And if it's a cover up it's a darn good one.

Not saying there ain't ....

Pete

Boreas
11-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Boreas
You're like the general in the '50s sci-fi flick who has his artillery fire on the saucer because - hey, ya never know - they might not wanna make friends. ;)

Originally Posted by Noonereal
I am? In what way? Maybe you are assuming to much from one post.

Please note ;). It was a joke.

I grant you that it's hard to think outside the box

Actually my thought is outside the box of the popular belief although it is share by a large number in the scientific community.

Can you offer any support for that?

of what motivates us as a species but I believe it's a mistake to assume that an alien (in every sense of the word) species would operate in accordance with the same imperatives as we do.

and you base this on what? Why should we assume intelligent life from another world would be different than all life forms here? It's seems an odd leap you are making.

I think it's you who is making a leap here. I'm not saying that we shouldn't assume alien life forms will share our motivations, etc. I'm saying we should make no assumptions either way.

In all the universe there are simply no.... universals.

Well we do know life is energy and in order to sustain energy (life force) all species convert other species energies for their own. Even things we do not consider life forms like stars charge material into energy to sustain itself.

That's actually not true. Ever hear of "black smokers"? They're deep undersea vents which support unique life forms. Some of those life forms have evolved to derive all of their nourishment from the chemicals contained in the material vented into the water. (They've also evolved to live at incredibly high temperatures and pressures and a complete absence of light but that's another story.) The process is called chemosynthesis and was unknown until the discovery of the vents around thirty years ago.

Also, there are ways and there are ways to use the energy of other living things. Not all are parasitic, predatory or otherwise destructive of the life form being so used.

Did I say otherwise?

No, but I didn't say you did.

John

Boreas
11-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Another well though out post. :p

Hmmmm.......

Boreas
11-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Didn't Heston take a petition to Richard Nixon demanding STRICTER gun controls back in '68-'69, Boreas?

Never heard that one but it wouldn't surprise me.

John

Boreas
11-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Funny, the only person I ever saw Heston portraying on screen was himself.

"Get your hands off me, you damned dirty LIBERAL!"

"Soylent Green is LIBERALS!"

John

Sandy G
11-04-2009, 01:36 PM
I must be slippin'....None of you wahoos took my post(s) to task 'n' dissected it line by line, as is yr Modus Operandi...(grin)

piece-itpete
11-04-2009, 01:42 PM
I must be slippin'....None of you wahoos took my post(s) to task 'n' dissected it line by line, as is yr Modus Operandi...(grin)

I live to serve, Sandy:

Bingo,

Oh yeah??! Read'em off.

Buddy !

Says who.

For

Against.

something

No way.

:D

Pete

Fast_Eddie
11-04-2009, 01:52 PM
And if it's a cover up it's a darn good one.

No kidding. We think they can't handle health care? Sheesh.

Charles
11-04-2009, 08:58 PM
I figger the gubbmitt will tell us all about them aliens...once they figger out a way to tax 'em.

Chas

noonereal
11-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Can you offer any support for that?

Yes lot's. (although I am to tired to provide links)

I think it's you who is making a leap here. I'm not saying that we should assume alien life forms will share our motivations, etc. I'm saying we should make no assumptions either way.

I think we can look at nature and make an educated guess. That being said anything is possible.

That's actually not true. Ever hear of "black smokers"? They're deep undersea vents which support unique life forms. Some of those life forms have evolved to derive all of their nourishment from the chemicals contained in the material vented into the water. (They've also evolved to live at incredibly high temperatures and pressures and a complete absence of light but that's another story.) The process is called chemosynthesis and was unknown until the discovery of the vents around thirty years ago.

Aren't you making my point? and yes I know all about it, frankly i was surprised that science seemed surprised that they could live as they do.

Boreas
11-04-2009, 10:25 PM

Aren't you making my point? and yes I know all about it, frankly i was surprised that science seemed surprised that they could live as they do.

No, I'm not making your point. I'm refuting it. You said that all life exploits other life for "energy". I cited an example of a type of life form that doesn't.

Before we discovered the ecosystem associated with black smokers we made certain assumptions about life based on what we knew up to that point. Studying black smokers and the creatures that live there caused us to toss out a number of those assumptions. Why, therefore, is it not possible, or even likely, that similar surprises await us if and when we encounter extraterrestrial life?

Oh, by the way, in addition to species which produce nourishment through chemosynthesis, there are also bacteria which do so via photosynthesis. They don't do this with sunlight because there isn't any. Rather they do it with the faint glow emanating from the hot minerals of the vents themselves. This raises the possibility that photosynthetic life forms first appeared in the deep ocean without the sun as its light source. There are also animals which produce shells from iron sulfides instead of calcium carbonate.

John

BlueStreak
11-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Good Grief!!!!!!!!

noonereal
11-05-2009, 06:18 AM
No, I'm not making your point. I'm refuting it. You said that all life exploits other life for "energy". I cited an example of a type of life form that doesn't.

Fair enough but my point is much more broad. Can we agree that all life forms transform energies for there own use? Frankly I think all energy is life. Just way different. I would consider the stars a life form, but that is a much different debate. Trees I am sure you agree are alive and they don't consume animal life force directly either.

Before we discovered the ecosystem associated with black smokers we made certain assumptions about life based on what we knew up to that point.

Yes main stream science did. Personally I think main stream science needs to think outside of the box.

Studying black smokers and the creatures that live there caused us to toss out a number of those assumptions. Why, therefore, is it not possible, or even likely, that similar surprises await us if and when we encounter extraterrestrial life?

I totally, totally agree. But whatever or whoever we encounter will likely convert energy for it's own. That is what life is. Change. And this changing results in the end of one existence and the continuation or creation of a new one.

Oh, by the way, in addition to species which produce nourishment through chemosynthesis, there are also bacteria which do so via photosynthesis. They don't do this with sunlight because there isn't any. Rather they do it with the faint glow emanating from the hot minerals of the vents themselves.

Yes, I remember reading that too. Awesome stuff.

This raises the possibility that photosynthetic life forms first appeared in the deep ocean without the sun as its light source. There are also animals which produce shells from iron sulfides instead of calcium carbonate.

John

yep, Good Stuff!

piece-itpete
11-05-2009, 07:19 AM
Personally I think main stream science needs to think outside of the box.

100% agreed. Scientific orthodoxy strikes me as silly, particularly considering how wrong they've been in the past.

Pete

Boreas
11-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Good Grief!!!!!!!!

Yeah...........

Sorry.

John

Fast_Eddie
11-05-2009, 09:45 AM
100% agreed. Scientific orthodoxy strikes me as silly, particularly considering how wrong they've been in the past.

Not so sure about that partner. Scientists are rarely "wrong" for a simple reason - they almost never say anything with certainty. They merely explain what is known at the current time. Sure, the media reduces their statements to black and white and so it seems that they are wrong sometimes. Still, on a whole, science is almost always right. Sure enough, turned out that lightning really was electricity, we did indeed split the atom and it sure enough made a pretty big bang. We did indeed get to the moon, and sure enough, just as predicted, it was rocky and hard, not a ball of dust. Found water on Mars and more on the Moon.

Go back a bit and we discover that objects in motion sure enough do tend to remain in motion until something stops them. The Sun really is the center of the solar system and the Earth really did turn out to be one of several planets going around it. Those stars really did turn out to be other Suns and low and behold many (most?) of them have planets going around them too.

Science has shown us very clearly what our Universe is and how we fit into it, at least in a physical sense. Their observations, hypotheses and theories have advanced our understanding without fail.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.
-Carl Sagan, 1987"

piece-itpete
11-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Yes they have been right, but they have been wrong in some spectacular ways.

Wait, perhaps I should say people have been wrong. Common beliefs are often wrong and nowadays we look to scientists as somewhat infallable.

I was thinking largely of Ptolemy's geocentric model.

Pete

noonereal
11-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Yes they have been right, but they have been wrong in some spectacular ways.

Wait, perhaps I should say people have been wrong. Common beliefs are often wrong and nowadays we look to scientists as somewhat infallable.

Pete

clearly what "makes sense" now might not "make sense" when more is discovered

Fast_Eddie
11-05-2009, 10:18 AM

That's a perfect example of what I was saying. It was the best information available at the time. Very different thing than "the truth". You have to look at the information that goes into the formation of a hypothosis. Then you have to see if observation bears it out and if it is accurate in it's ability to predict future events.

Of course, it's also ancient. What's wonderful about living today is that there is so much information available it leads to so far more accurate conclusions. We, indeed, have come a long way in the last 2,000 years. Copernicus and Kepler really ushered in the modern age of science. Before that "science" was really as much superstition and religion as science.

Fast_Eddie
11-05-2009, 10:25 AM
clearly what "makes sense" now might not "make sense" when more is discovered

See, there's more to it than this. This kind of language doesn't accurately represent the state of science as it exists today. It's also language often used by people with an agenda to suggest that nothing can ever be known. This is simply not true. Sure, there are things that can come to light and further shape an understanding that was previously held. But many things are reasonably well settled.

It's simply not accurate to put all scientific understanding in one big pot and say "well, since they haven't figured out sting theory, nothing can be known." Certainly people working on the ragged edge of human understanding are working in an area where new discoveries are constantly shaping their theories. But to suggest that somehow we'll discover something that radically changes our understanding of basic science is misleading.

This is a tactic currently being used to discredit the observations and understanding of climate change, or Darwinian evolution. It's just not a logical argument. It's a misunderstanding put forth by people who don't like what the scientific observation shows.

Fast_Eddie
11-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Common beliefs are often wrong and nowadays we look to scientists as somewhat infallable.

I completely disagree. The religious right has waged war on science. Hardly infallible, they've been inaccurately discredited. Shit, there's a museum in Kentucky with cave man kids riding dinosaurs. This isn't a matter of exploring alternate interpretations consistent with what we know. This if pure fiction designed to suggest that the scientific community is incredible (as in "not credible") in an effort to support a belief that is not supported by evidence.

We have in many was abandon science while the rest of the world has moved forward. It will be part of the unraveling of America.

noonereal
11-05-2009, 10:54 AM
See, there's more to it than this. This kind of language doesn't accurately represent the state of science as it exists today. It's also language often used by people with an agenda to suggest that nothing can ever be known. This is simply not true. Sure, there are things that can come to light and further shape an understanding that was previously held. But many things are reasonably well settled.

It's simply not accurate to put all scientific understanding in one big pot and say "well, since they haven't figured out sting theory, nothing can be known." Certainly people working on the ragged edge of human understanding are working in an area where new discoveries are constantly shaping their theories. But to suggest that somehow we'll discover something that radically changes our understanding of basic science is misleading.

This is a tactic currently being used to discredit the observations and understanding of climate change, or Darwinian evolution. It's just not a logical argument. It's a misunderstanding put forth by people who don't like what the scientific observation shows.

i think you are over reaching, by allot :(

string even tells us that everything is possible which suggests that nothing is absolute

noonereal
11-05-2009, 10:55 AM
The religious right has waged war on science. America.

that's a big 10 4

BlueStreak
11-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Man, you guys are sharp.

Dave

piece-itpete
11-05-2009, 12:42 PM
That's a perfect example of what I was saying. It was the best information available at the time. Very different thing than "the truth". You have to look at the information that goes into the formation of a hypothosis. Then you have to see if observation bears it out and if it is accurate in it's ability to predict future events.

Of course, it's also ancient. What's wonderful about living today is that there is so much information available it leads to so far more accurate conclusions. We, indeed, have come a long way in the last 2,000 years. Copernicus and Kepler really ushered in the modern age of science. Before that "science" was really as much superstition and religion as science.

We are in more agreement than it may appear. But the problem is folks take theory as fact.

I completely disagree. The religious right has waged war on science. Hardly infallible, they've been inaccurately discredited. Shit, there's a museum in Kentucky with cave man kids riding dinosaurs. This isn't a matter of exploring alternate interpretations consistent with what we know. This if pure fiction designed to suggest that the scientific community is incredible (as in "not credible") in an effort to support a belief that is not supported by evidence.

We have in many was abandon science while the rest of the world has moved forward. It will be part of the unraveling of America.

See?

Pete

Fast_Eddie
11-05-2009, 01:31 PM
We are in more agreement than it may appear. But the problem is folks take theory as fact.

A bigger problem is people don't know what "theory" means with regard to science. The words "theory" and "fact" probably don't even belong in the same context. Science would prefer "law", I think, to "fact". However, that's not to understate the validity of a scientific "theory". If a theory is not consistent with observation, then it is not a scientific theory. There is a bar that has to be met in order for a hypothesis to be called a theory. I can say "it's my theory that the moon is actually made of cheese." While in colloquial speech that may be grammatically correct, it is *not* a scientific theory. We have made observations that are in direct conflict with that hypothesis.

People exploit this confusion in terms to promote an agenda. It's popular to say "that's just a theory" when talking about science that an indifidual doesn't much like. To which it is popular to respond "so is gravity- so why don't you jump off a roof".

piece-itpete
11-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Used to be, in order to be legitimate a theory had to be provable, there had to be a way to prove it. That a force we call gravity exists is easily provable by even a child. The theory part is 'how'.

Common culture takes theories as fact on a regular basis.

And a 'fact', my dad used to say, a fact is something that always has been true, is currently true, and always will be true, so there is no such thing as a fact because we don't know the future :)

Pete

GWAR
11-06-2009, 11:57 AM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c3d_1215291532

Not to be taken as gospel, but something to think about, nontheless.
And I will be the first to admit that Im a card carrying skeptic, and will tell you I believe in one thing only, and thats the dirt beneath my feet at any given time, but I once saw something along with two other people, that I cant explain to myself, let alone explain it to someone else.
Is there a coverup? Most likely, but what I dont understand is how they think that we would all go crazy if we found out that we are the only ones here. I meen really, get over yourself, FFS

Fast_Eddie
11-06-2009, 12:18 PM
My family and I went to Roswell on vacation a couple of years ago. We even bought an alien hitch cover for the 4Runner. Re-named her Ail-een. Went to the "museum". I'm sold. Sold that there is absolutely no reason to think anything unexplainable happend there.

Yeah, I've seen things in the sky that I can't say for sure what they were. Pretty sure I saw the Space Shuttle going over head right after sunset. Looked really weird 'till we thought about it for a while. I'm sure there's plenty to see and plenty that I would look at and say "what the hell is that?" That's a UFO, for sure, but I don't think there are any aliens popping by for a visit.

I think Occam's razor is the tool to use in these cases. Something weird in the sky- could be an alien, or God, or a kid in a baloon, or a hunk of Artic ice that broke off, was chemically altered by global warming, and is now lighter than air. Or could be experimental aircraft, or a weird reflection or a falling star. Which is the shortest line between observation and explanation? There's so much junk orbiting Earth at this point they have to track it to make sure they don't shoot a rocket into it. Stands to reason we'd see hunks of it from time to time.

By the way, I'd be really, really shocked to discover somehow (like we could know) that there isn't all kinds of crazy stuff out there. I'm pretty sure there's loads of stuff we'd call "life". I'm just pretty sure that if they popped over for coffee we'd know about it. Shit, we can't even cover it up when we exchange arms for hostages. Clinton couldn't cover up a blow job.

Fast_Eddie
11-06-2009, 12:32 PM
...the shortest line between observation and explanation

huh. That's a pretty good line. Did I write that?

piece-itpete
11-06-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm going with

... or a hunk of Artic ice that broke off, was chemically altered by global warming, and is now lighter than air. ...

Lmao!! :applause:

Pete

Charles
11-11-2009, 06:46 PM
My family and I went to Roswell on vacation a couple of years ago. We even bought an alien hitch cover for the 4Runner. Re-named her Ail-een. Went to the "museum". I'm sold. Sold that there is absolutely no reason to think anything unexplainable happend there.

Yeah, I've seen things in the sky that I can't say for sure what they were. Pretty sure I saw the Space Shuttle going over head right after sunset. Looked really weird 'till we thought about it for a while. I'm sure there's plenty to see and plenty that I would look at and say "what the hell is that?" That's a UFO, for sure, but I don't think there are any aliens popping by for a visit.

I think Occam's razor is the tool to use in these cases. Something weird in the sky- could be an alien, or God, or a kid in a baloon, or a hunk of Artic ice that broke off, was chemically altered by global warming, and is now lighter than air. Or could be experimental aircraft, or a weird reflection or a falling star. Which is the shortest line between observation and explanation? There's so much junk orbiting Earth at this point they have to track it to make sure they don't shoot a rocket into it. Stands to reason we'd see hunks of it from time to time.

By the way, I'd be really, really shocked to discover somehow (like we could know) that there isn't all kinds of crazy stuff out there. I'm pretty sure there's loads of stuff we'd call "life". I'm just pretty sure that if they popped over for coffee we'd know about it. Shit, we can't even cover it up when we exchange arms for hostages. Clinton couldn't cover up a blow job.

I agree, ain't no aliens from outter space.

If they wuz, they wooda abducted me by now.

Chas