PDA

View Full Version : Why I Don't Live In Tennessee

Boreas
12-18-2012, 06:43 PM
and never will.

www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/12/17/tennessee-pastor-mass-shootings-because-schools-teach-evolution-and-how-to-be-a-homo/

John

finnbow
12-18-2012, 06:52 PM
and never will.

www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/12/17/tennessee-pastor-mass-shootings-because-schools-teach-evolution-and-how-to-be-a-homo/

John

Unfortunately, probably 20% of our country thinks like that. I'm dead certain that there are probably thousands of similar idiots in California. As for Tennessee, I'd live very happily around Knoxville or Chattanooga. Nashville's pretty cool too. Memphis blows, however.

Rex E.
12-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Yeah, this is everywhere. Ignorance is thick in many places.

JJIII
12-19-2012, 06:06 AM
This is any better?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven%27s_Gate_%28religious_group%29

There are nuts everywhere.

Bigerik
12-19-2012, 06:48 AM
Not that far removed from most of the Baptist I used to hang with down in PA. Those folks did more than anyone else to keep me from entering a church these many years now.

BlueStreak
12-19-2012, 07:11 AM
Hallelujah!

More evidence that the insanity reaches beyond the Westboro freaks. A quick perusal of quotes from the likes of Fallwell and Robertson will reveal that such sickminded hogwash is not restricted to the acolytes of Brother Phelps, my friends. It is far more widespread then some of you may think. (You see, the good and pious folks from Kansas are primarily hated for the high profile manor in which they openly berate---"The Troops", which always boosts ones popularity like a fart in a crowded elevator. Remove that and what you have, unfortunately, is much closer to mainstream Jesus-Nazi rantings than you may realize.)

Regards,
Dave

merrylander
12-19-2012, 07:34 AM
Have not stepped inside a church for more than twenty years and am not likelly to do so in future. If you seek God that is the last place to look.

Boreas
12-19-2012, 07:52 AM
This is any better?

What does that have to do with religion? What does that have to do with hate?

John

d-ray657
12-19-2012, 08:05 AM
This is any better?

No it isn't better. It is an example of folks distorting and manipulating religion to control and manipulate other people. In the first link the purveyors were spreading hate; in the second insanity. Both are terrible.

Regards,

D-Ray

JJIII
12-19-2012, 08:44 AM
What does that have to do with religion? What does that have to do with hate?

John

See Don's post # 9.

BlueStreak
12-19-2012, 09:04 AM
I will say that I wouldn't point a finger specifically at Tennessee. JJ is right, nuts are everywhere.

Boreas
12-19-2012, 09:31 AM
See Don's post # 9.

Heaven's Gate was a New Age apocalyptic cult with a handful of deranged followers.

This guy, Sam Morris, plus Fred Phelps, Terry Jones, Mike Huckabee, Pat Robertson, Franklin Graham and Jerry Falwell are (or were) ordained ministers in mainstream religious denominations.

John

JJIII
12-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Heaven's Gate was a New Age apocalyptic cult with a handful of deranged followers.

This guy, Sam Morris, plus Fred Phelps, Terry Jones, Mike Huckabee, Pat Robertson, Franklin Graham and Jerry Falwell are (or were) ordained ministers in mainstream religious denominations.

John

Like I said, nuts are everywhere. Makes no difference what position they hold. You've left out Jim Jones, Charlie Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, and a host of others. We could name names forever.

My point is that Tennessee doesn't hold a monopoly on nut cases.

d-ray657
12-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Like I said, nuts are everywhere. Makes no difference what position they hold. You've left out Jim Jones, Charlie Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, and a host of others. We could name names forever.

For certain, Kansans must bear our scarlet Phelps. (Yeah, I know, a pretty weak literary reference)

Regards,

D-Ray

Boreas
12-19-2012, 10:38 AM

Dahmer and Manson didn't have official positions of influence in mainstream religions. Dahmer was a lone actor and Manson had a small drug addled "family". Jim Jones was a self-ordained minister, affiliated with a "church" of his own creation, The People's Temple". He denounced official and traditional Christian doctrine in favor of his own brand of religion.

John

JJIII
12-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Dahmer and Manson didn't have official positions of influence in mainstream religions. Dahmer was a lone actor and Manson had a small drug addled "family". Jim Jones was a self-ordained minister, affiliated with a "church" of his own creation, The People's Temple". He denounced official and traditional Christian doctrine in favor of his own brand of religion.

John

What is your point?

Boreas
12-19-2012, 10:59 AM
What is your point?

Power, influence and acceptance in their respective communities.

John

JJIII
12-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Power, influence and acceptance in their respective communities.

John

Now we are making progress.:)

d-ray657
12-19-2012, 11:24 AM
I suppose it becomes a question of how broadly one defines community. In the cult situations, there was immense influence within a small, closely knit community. The hate mongers like the one in the OP have a broader audience, but there are also more countervailing voices in the broader community. All of us have the obligation to critically listen to what is being preached and determine whether it jibes with our sense of morality/spirituality/reason.

I know that there is room to suspect that the Methodist faith that I practice has its share of hocus pocus, but the theology also includes reason as one of its central tenets. Fortunately, reasonable folks believe that we are all allowed to practice, or not, our own faith. Unfortunately, there are also those who wish to suppress faith practices that are not part of the Judeo-Christian tradition (i.e. vandalism to deter the construction of Mosques). I still have faith that reason will prevail (and yes, I recognize the irony in that last sentence).

Regards,

D-Ray

icenine
12-19-2012, 11:52 AM
My mom was from Tennesee. She was pretty nice to me:)

Boreas
12-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Mainstream religions are outwardly-directed. They exist to proselytize and spread their influence as broadly and deeply as they can.

Cults are inwardly directed, striving to isolate their adherents from outside influences. That's why cults tend to end up in communities closed off from the outside world.

Jim Jones' first step was to leave the country. When that failed and Congressman Ryan payed him a visit he knew that there was no way to keep the world out any more so he killed Ryan, then, along with his group, himself.

David Koresh isolated himself and his followers in an armed fortress. Like Jones, when the "outsiders" came and he knew that his power was soon to be at an end, he ordered the death of his followers.

John

piece-itpete
12-19-2012, 12:24 PM
In the Bible God stresses wisdom throughout.

From a Christian POV, of course a sinful society will have more than its' share of troubles. But there's loving and compassionate way, and a hateful and hurtful way of explaining these things.

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal."

http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13.htm

Pete

BlueStreak
12-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Mainstream religions are outwardly-directed. They exist to proselytize and spread their influence as broadly and deeply as they can.

Cults are inwardly directed, striving to isolate their adherents from outside influences. That's why cults tend to end up in communities closed off from the outside world.

Jim Jones' first step was to leave the country. When that failed and Congressman Ryan payed him a visit he knew that there was no way to keep the world out any more so he killed Ryan, then, along with his group, himself.

David Koresh isolated himself and his followers in an armed fortress. Like Jones, when the "outsiders" came and he knew that his power was soon to be at an end, he ordered the death of his followers.

John

I'm thinking this is why Republicans hate it when you compare America to other countries. As travel abroad continues to rise, that cat will become impossible to keep in the bag.

BlueStreak
12-19-2012, 03:47 PM
In the Bible God stresses wisdom throughout.

From a Christian POV, of course a sinful society will have more than its' share of troubles. But there's loving and compassionate way, and a hateful and hurtful way of explaining these things.

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal."

http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13.htm

Pete

If you believe "God" wrote the Bible. I believe it was written by men, establishing religion based forms of government.:rolleyes:

piece-itpete
12-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Like the US? :rolleyes:

Pete

merrylander
12-20-2012, 11:27 AM
like the us? :rolleyes:

Pete

rotflmao

bobabode
12-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Like the US? :rolleyes:

Pete

Sad but true, Pete. When are you getting your barcode tatoo? Mark of the beast and all that...:rolleyes: