PDA

View Full Version : Has Congress earned this?

mpholland
12-31-2012, 09:24 AM
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-orders-raise-biden-members-congress-federal-workers_692223.html

Sorry, I just think that they have kind of dropped the ball on getting anything meaningful accomplished. I wish I could get a good raise for not doing my job. You can blame one side or the other for derailing progress, but cutting through that and getting things done is their job and they aren't getting it done effectively.

Marc

BlueStreak
12-31-2012, 09:53 AM
No.

Have any Republicans refused their raise?

No.

Have any of those supposed uber-Patriot Tea Party gas bags refused theirs?

No.

Chew on that for a while.

Regards,
Dave

mpholland
12-31-2012, 10:02 AM
I suppose the Democrats are all declining their raises? I really think that both sides are at fault for failing the country. I realize the raise is fairly small as a percentage, but I just don't find it very palatable.

JJIII
12-31-2012, 10:35 AM
See here, scroll to post # 26. Same story, different source, different reactions.

JJIII
12-31-2012, 10:36 AM
I suppose the Democrats are all declining their raises? I really think that both sides are at fault for failing the country. I realize the raise is fairly small as a percentage, but I just don't find it very palatable.

Exactly.

Boreas
12-31-2012, 10:39 AM
See here, scroll to post # 26. Same story, different source, different reactions.

Feeling like a victim?

bobabode
12-31-2012, 10:43 AM
I don't think this reflects a valid view. Holding elected representatives to some sort of merit pay scheme or production based payscale is nonsensical. I don't hold with the notion that government should be run like a business. It appears that you do. Should we only reward them for yes votes and penalize them for no votes?

The all out intransigence of the right these last four years and in particular the teabagger era of the last two years makes me want to puke. If you're in need of a scapegoat, look no further. The debt ceiling fight that led to a downgrade in our creditworthiness is a prime example of that. How about Wall St. bankers and associated companies? Have they earned their obscene bonuses?

bobabode
12-31-2012, 10:48 AM

Wait a goddamn second for me to type! One response and you've already got a whole universe built? Sheesh. Jumping the gun a little, doncha think? Do you mind if I get a cup of coffee first?:rolleyes:

bobabode
12-31-2012, 10:54 AM

From the tone and adverts in BH's link I would say they the same. At least the weekly birdcage liner calls it a blog instead of a fact based news story like yours did. They're both op-ed pieces or blogs and thus partisan viewpoints. So,....is there a point here?

BlueStreak
12-31-2012, 11:15 AM

Exactly.

Who is it that constantly whines about people receiving money or benefits they think aren't deserved?

I think after this, every rightwinger who cries about someone else getting something they didn't deserve should be tarred, feathered and waterboarded.:D

"Some folks are born silver spoon in hand,
Lord, don't they help themselves, oh.
But when the taxman comes to the door,
Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale, yes,

It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no millionaire's son, no.
It ain't me, it ain't me; I ain't no fortunate one, no."

Regards,
Dave

Boreas
12-31-2012, 11:15 AM
You all do realize this is chump change, don't you?

Giving million dollar tax cuts to all billionaires is just fine but a modest salary increase for government employees? Outrageous!

Get some freakin' perspective!

John

JJIII
12-31-2012, 11:18 AM
Feeling like a victim?

Nope.:)

bobabode
12-31-2012, 11:29 AM
:DYou guys on the right really need to work on that echo chamber thing.:rolleyes:

mpholland
12-31-2012, 11:40 AM
Always turns into a partisan issue. All I know is that at my job, we have a purchasing agent and controller that hold the purse strings. We on the shop floor are always wanting worn out tooling replaced and other things that make our job easier. If we had our way, the company would go broke buying tooling and there would be no profits, so no raises. If the purchasing agent had his way, he would spend no money in the shop as the less he spends, the better his department looks. Poor quality tooling equals poor quality parts, more rework, and more labor, also resulting in no profit and no raises. If we are all doing our jobs correctly, we are communicating and finding the best balance. What do we have to have immediately, what can be put off. We are making good quality parts and purchasing isn't overspending. That leads to profit and pay raises.

Maybe government shouldn't be run like the business it has become, but I don't think anybody should get rewarded for not getting their responsibilities done. Doesn't matter to me if you are a CEO, shop worker, manager or government employee.

JJIII
12-31-2012, 12:01 PM
:DYou guys on the right really need to work on that echo chamber thing.:rolleyes:

We'll work on the echo chamber thing if you guys will work on the circle jerk thing.:D

CarlV
12-31-2012, 12:53 PM
Sorry, I just think that they have kind of dropped the ball on getting anything meaningful accomplished. I wish I could get a good raise for not doing my job. You can blame one side or the other for derailing progress, but cutting through that and getting things done is their job and they aren't getting it done effectively.

Marc
Here in Ca. we voted that no budget, no pay, and no back pay either. :)

Then, this time our Gov put before the people to raise necessary taxes in an up and down vote on the ballot and the people voted yes. :)

We also have a Democrat super majority now. This will be interesting, I would bet good money Jerry ordered a case of veto pens. :p

Carl

bobabode
12-31-2012, 03:05 PM
Jerry Brown 2016 has a good ring to it. He might even get some crackers to vote for him, since he isn't blah.:rolleyes:

ebacon
12-31-2012, 03:16 PM

The problem is that the echo chamber works. New science from the ivory towers of the left eventually gets misused by the right. That's my take.

The left needs to start explaining where the hard right is coming from. After all the left invented it and now the hard right voters can't explain themselves.

The left won at brainwashing. Congratulations. Now the leaders need to help clean up their mess. Al Gore?

bobabode
12-31-2012, 05:18 PM
The problem is that the echo chamber works.
Not with me, I was just commenting on JJ's jumping the gun before anyone had fired a shot. He took Bluestreak's comment to an absurd conclusion.

New science from the ivory towers of the left eventually gets misused by the right. That's my take.
Huh? I don't know what this really means

The left needs to start explaining where the hard right is coming from. After all the left invented it and now the hard right voters can't explain themselves.
Is this circular logic or a brainfart? No offense.

The left won at brainwashing. Congratulations. Now the leaders need to help clean up their mess. Al Gore?
Huh? I don't know what this really means either.

The good news is that I've only got less than 9 hours to go with this fucking avatar. Next time we should have reciprocity :eek: Since you like Al Gore so much.:D

JJIII
12-31-2012, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
"The problem is that the echo chamber works.
Not with me, I was just commenting on JJ's jumping the gun before anyone had fired a shot. He took Bluestreak's comment to an absurd conclusion."

Excuse my thickness.:) Explain this to me please.:confused: I think we have a failure to communicate.

ebacon
12-31-2012, 05:54 PM
Will you guys please clean up your questions? What a train wreck.

JJIII
12-31-2012, 06:00 PM
Bye. Hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year.

bobabode
12-31-2012, 06:22 PM
Me three:confused:. Happy New Year, all. :)

ebacon
12-31-2012, 06:35 PM
We can debate this next year.

Love you all!

BlueStreak
12-31-2012, 09:33 PM
Always turns into a partisan issue. All I know is that at my job, we have a purchasing agent and controller that hold the purse strings. We on the shop floor are always wanting worn out tooling replaced and other things that make our job easier. If we had our way, the company would go broke buying tooling and there would be no profits, so no raises. If the purchasing agent had his way, he would spend no money in the shop as the less he spends, the better his department looks. Poor quality tooling equals poor quality parts, more rework, and more labor, also resulting in no profit and no raises. If we are all doing our jobs correctly, we are communicating and finding the best balance. What do we have to have immediately, what can be put off. We are making good quality parts and purchasing isn't overspending. That leads to profit and pay raises.

Maybe government shouldn't be run like the business it has become, but I don't think anybody should get rewarded for not getting their responsibilities done. Doesn't matter to me if you are a CEO, shop worker, manager or government employee.

What makes you think the business would go under if Ebeneezer the purchasing agent came off the dime and bought you what you need?
You can't do the job correctly with dull tools. Dull tools lead to shoddy product, which leads to loss of work. Sounds like you're screwed, so long as that tightassed idiot keeps trying to pinch every penny. I'd say HE's your root cause. Get rid of the cheapskate and buy new tools, Dude.

BTW; You can't send them out to have them sharpened rather than buy new ones? Or, does no one do that anymore?

Regards,
Dave