PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Beck's Favorite Gold Company

CarlV
01-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Forced to Refund $4.5 Million to Customers

Goldline stuck with Beck even after most of his other advertisers fled in light of the host's increasingly inflammatory rhetoric. Beck, for his part, lavishly praised the company, telling listeners and viewers that he personally bought gold from the company and calling its executives "people I trust."
Those were the golden days. Since Beck's Fox News heyday, his fortunes and Goldline's have fallen sharply. Beck parted ways with Fox in June, and in November prosecutors in Santa Monica charged six of Goldline's executives with fraud and accused the company of running a bait-and-switch operation that lured customers into buying overpriced antique coins as investments—coins that Beck promoted on his shows. Mother Jones documented this scam in a 2010 story about the company and its relationship with Beck. The former New York congressman Anthony Weiner helped bring national attention to the company's business practices. Beck went on the defensive, attacking Weiner and defending his favorite gold dealer.

On Wednesday, the Santa Monica city attorney obtained a judgment and injunction against Goldline that requires the company to radically overhaul its practices and to stop deceiving customers about prices, among other things. The company must refund up to $4.5 million to defrauded customers, and pay $800,000 into a fund for future claims. The judgment also requires the company to give up one of the staples of its marketing tactics, and one that was hyped routinely by Beck: the idea that the government's coming for your gold. For years Beck and Goldline insisted customers should buy its "numismatic" (or antique) coins rather than standard government-issued bullion because, they claimed, in 1933 President Franklin Roosevelt had ordered the government to confiscate private citizens' gold bullion; antique coins were spared from the seizure. The claim was a huge stretch, as was the notion Beck perpetuated that Obama was plotting to seize Americans' gold. Now, Goldline has to quit talking about bullion confiscation lest it face further trouble from prosecutors.
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/02/glenn-beck-gold-compay-forced-refund-45-million-defrauded-customers

Lol, too funny for words. :p

Carl

ebacon
01-15-2013, 12:45 PM
One of the Gold line execs was also an exec for Microstrategy, a firm that melted down due to misleading accounting of subscriptions.

There is a small club of these assholes. Just watch where they go for an indicator as to where the next fire will be.

d-ray657
01-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Why no personal liability for Beck? It sounds like he was a willing participant in the fraud.

Regards,

D-Ray

CarlV
01-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Yeah, no kidding. I should probably find one of his shills on you tube first but I can imagine what went on if he uses his conspiracy lines. I wonder if you get a dab of Glenn's Vapo Rub to use for your eyes when you show off your coins to your friends. :)

Carl

piece-itpete
01-15-2013, 01:22 PM
Ah, they should've stuck to Ron Paul dollars :)

Pete

icenine
01-15-2013, 01:25 PM
I still cannot believe Glenn Beck is on the radio....he even makes the Blimplaugh look respectable......almost

finnbow
01-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Beck, along with his Faux and Talk Radio counterparts, are the perfect gold shills for the frightened, ignorant masses who listen to them. In my view, if you believe Beck's line of BS, you deserve to be defrauded. That said, I hope they fry the lot of them, including Beck.

Boreas
01-15-2013, 01:57 PM
I still cannot believe Glenn Beck is on the radio....he even makes the Blimplaugh look respectable......almost

Beck's current radio show is a blatant attempt at stealing the Stephanie Miller show's successful format with Beck and two asshole sidekicks trying to alternate between seriousness and humor. All they succeed in doing is being nasty and mean-spirited at both.

They even have a segment where they call people out of the phone book at random. They then ask them questions like name two of the great lakes. If the victim answers incorrectly they're subjected to ridicule, and further wrong answers, from Beck and his flunkies.

One time the question was "Who is Glenn Beck" and the "contestant" didn't know. I did like that.

He also has a subscription web channel called "Blaze TV". I have no idea what that's like and have no intention of paying to find out. I can only assume that it's more even disgusting than his AM show since his subscribers have to be the most extreme of his followers and he has few sponsors and no affiliates to keep pacified.

He is a disgusting man.

John

icenine
01-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Beck's current radio show is a blatant attempt at stealing the Stephanie Miller show's successful format with Beck and two asshole sidekicks trying to alternate between seriousness and humor. All they succeed in doing is being nasty and mean-spirited at both.

They even have a segment where they call people out of the phone book at random. They then ask them questions like name two of the great lakes. If the victim answers incorrectly they're subjected to ridicule, and further wrong answers, from Beck and his flunkies.

One time the question was "Who is Glenn Beck" and the "contestant" didn't know. I did like that.

He also has a subscription web channel called "Blaze TV". I have no idea what that's like and have no intention of paying to find out. I can only assume that it's more even disgusting than his AM show since his subscribers have to be the most extreme of his followers and he has few sponsors and no affiliates to keep pacified.

He is a disgusting man.

John

Other than seeing his name on the Fox Channel on my satellite radio display I did not know who he was until MSNBC started to show clips of his Fox tv show. I used to see his book at Sam's Club...the one where he is dressed in a military combination cap and sort of looks like a dictator or storm trooper....
I found it a bit disturbing.

Of course I would not ever dream of reading or even picking up such a book from him

bobabode
01-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Beck is a sideshow barker and huckster. My apologies to both hucksters and barkers.

ebacon
01-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Why no personal liability for Beck? It sounds like he was a willing participant in the fraud.

Regards,

D-Ray

Glenn has a strong idiot defense. He does not have enough special knowledge about finance to tag him. Things would be different if he shared'profits instead of just sold advertising time. That's my take at least.

I imagine that his lawyers insulated him as well as they could.

BlueStreak
01-15-2013, 04:12 PM
This is not possible. A rightwinger cheat, lie and deceive? Bbbbbbbbbbut, they're the good guys....................:confused::rolleyes:

Regards,
Dave

ebacon
01-15-2013, 06:00 PM
They are job creators in the new economy of hassling each other. Grrr.