PDA

View Full Version : What were/are the greatest influences on your political beliefs?

d-ray657
11-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Why am I on the left? Why is someone else Middle of the road? Why are some here Conservative? Who is proud of defying labels?

The part of my life that had the greatest influence on me was growing up in the Methodist Church. We had church-wide study programs that exposed us to many different cultures. I always thought it was cool that the church practiced open communion. You didn't have to be a member of the church, or take any oath, the church left it up to one's individual conscience whether to partake in the Lord's Supper. As I grew a little older, I learned about John Wesley's theology in which he recognized the importance of faith, but also of experience and reason to guide our relationship with God. That certainly gave the free-thinkers an opportunity to feel at home. It also led to very little preaching about hellfire and damnation.

My parents also influenced me. Dad was a postal worker when I was growing up. He was an active member of the union, and sometimes a steward. They tried to put him into management, but he just didn't see things their way. He worked under a union contract that permitted my parents to save for our college education and their retirement. When his health failed him at an early age, he had accumulated a full six months of sick leave before he took disability retirement. Mom survived through being widowed three times, and still maintained her love for people - she walked the walk of tolerance.

My undergraduate and law studies gave me exposure to the philosophical underpinnings that influenced the framers of our constitution. I learned of the Social Contract that resulted in a society based on mutual aid and protection. I studied the idea of the person in "the original position." Under that philosophy, a way to seek justice is to put oneself in a position where one is not aware of economic circumstance, race, gender, and other divisive characteristics. From that perspective one must decide how to build a body of law that would treat one fairly no matter what the circumstances of one's birth.

That stew resulted in a guy who tries to be tolerant of others, who believes in an equitable economic system, and see unions as an essential part of that equitable economic system. I see that we have the responsibility to govern our society in such a manner that persons of all races and backgrounds receive the benefit of what society has to offer - and all owe a duty to operate according to the good of all. A bunch of real airy highfalutin stuff that I usually fall short of honoring, but they are goals to strive for.

My social science studies also resulted in me being quite wordy, but you already know that.

Tell us why you are where you are today. I don't ask why you ended up as you did, because all of us are evolving.

Regards,

D-Ray

JCricket
11-03-2009, 11:55 PM
I was raised a stout catholic. I also have a fair amont of small business background in my blood. My grandparents, my aunts/uncles all had small businesses. Thus I was a republican. I wasn't entirely on board with the whole platform, but they did carry a major amount of my beliefs. In particular the ones about small government and over managing. I still believe those are important.

BUT THEN........

In 1995 I went to work in a union shop. In 1998 I had my kiddo's - Twin boys. This showed me and taught me a lot.

I had always heard how the unions were money grubbing, lazy dihonest folk. Well, for a large part they were right. No news here. What shocked me ws the attitude of the company. They were the most viscious, deceiuful, lying, batch of thieves I have ever had the displeasure of coming across. All in all a very stressful and degenerate environment. What I learned though, was just how bad a company could be. I learned how come the unions came to power. It was apparent to me why they exhisted and what the principles were taht brought them inot existence. They are absolutely neccessary. Corrupt now, but still a force which benefits ALL americans. Especially those who do not have the unions.

Then, in 1998, my two kiddo's are born. They were born almost 7 weeks early, and almost came at 21 weeks. They had some medical issues but came out of it fairly unscathed. SO we thought. As time progressed we saw that they had issues. It turns out one is nearly deaf, has Autism, and is metally disabled(BTW - retarded is a very derrogatory term). My other son has ADHD// ASpergers/ ODD and is developmentally disabled. He di not walk until he was four and did not talk until he was five. As such, my kids needed a lot of extra attention. My last ten years has been an incredible education in government beauracracy, red tap, and "welfare" benefits. I have learned the medicaid/medicare/insuance sytem. I hve dealt with the school system in dept. I am very familiar with the ADA and IDEA and so on.

The union stuff, and all the stuff for my kids come from a democratic platform. For people to say lets not regulate the businesses or provide welfare, for them to say busineses would be stronger and employees would get more, for them to say charities will step up and help, these are utterly stupid comments. Stated by people who have no clue. They are the thoughts of a cold and empty headed idealist who uses them to enble themselves to turn a blind eye to the world.

So now I am a narrow minded moron. The narrow minded is the republican in me that believes in few laws, small government, and the religious right. The moron is the side that believes all we have to do is pass laws to fix everything.

The real side of me sees the country as a corrupted set of politicians who make laws to pat themselves on the back, serve their own interests, and thus get rich and retain their own jobs - at the cost of you and I.

One lst thing all of the above taught me, most people live the platform that their life happens to fit into. Myself included. This is why you get so much dedication to a cause. It is real for us all.,

Twodogs
11-04-2009, 12:25 AM
I was raised by Democrats, but the right just makes more sense to me. I guess the big thing is entitlements. I really don't think the government helps people by "giving" them things. I kinda liken it to enabling an alcoholic. You do it out of love, but you're actually killing the person (or helping them kill them self).

noonereal
11-04-2009, 05:16 AM
I really don't think the government helps people by "giving" them things.

We agree!

I recall my first job, at age 13. I worked at as matinace kid for a bank. I would take a bus in the morning and clear up the glass from the sidewalk after rioting. (sixties urban unrest) I changed light bulbs, scrubbed floors, emptied garbages and cleaned up the lunch room. One day the President of the bank asked me what I tought about the job. I told him I did not understand why the employees waisted so much soda. It seemed every bottle was 3/4 full and abandoned. He told me he could fix the problem. And he did. Turns out the soda machine was free for the employees and as a result they had no respect for it's content. Well being a wise man he had the machine reset to charge a nickel. No more waste.

noonereal
11-04-2009, 05:23 AM
I was raised a conservative but many real life situations changed my political beliefs. One of the first was when I graduated college I worked in Manhattan and took the subways everyday. The train stopped at Wall street so there were lots of 30 and 40 something males in suit and ties on the train along with folks from uptown. (Harlem, Washington Heights....)
As with any subway line in Manhattan there were beggars that would walk up and down the train and ask for money.
I never gave a penny as I was a self reliant industrious guy who figured all people should be like me. I was not alone as I can honestly say that I never saw any of my fellow "brief case" guys ever give a penny.
One day I noticed that a middle aged overweight black women (likely going to work in a hotel in midtown) was going into her purse. She took out a dollar and gave it to the beggar. I witnessed this a second and third time with different women and different beggars as the months went by. I found it odd at the time.
As I grew I learned and realized that the women going into their purse understood what it was to be poor and what caused it. As a result they had compassion.
Then as I cpntinued to grow I began to see real world examples of people who rely did not have a shot at the "American dream" and they were not lazy at all! What I had been told and the truth were at odds. I have many, many examples but I won't bore you.
Long story short I decide to believe my own eyes and have become increasingly liberal.

merrylander
11-04-2009, 07:28 AM
There was little discussion of politics in our home, more was said about what was right or what was wrong. The family library was never closed to me, my parents figured that if a book was too old or advanced I would simply put it back.

Small town Quebec (was actually founded by my Uncle and another man) so a one room schoolhouse that eventually became two rooms. It only went to the ninth grade so I commuted by train to get the tenth grade. This meant sitting in the station from 3:15 until 5:40 so that was when I did my homework. After a year of that I said phooey and went to work. First was with a large boilermaking company, when that seemed like there was no real future I went to a casualty insurance company - what a hotbed of right wingers no place for a young liberal - well Pierre Trudeau cured me of that.

Joe Clark got elected - head of the conservative party, damned good Prime Minister so I joined the party. Had extensive correspondence with my MP over the years, party wanted me to run for his seat when he died prematurely of caancer.

It was this same Conservative Party that had earlier instituted the Single Payer Plan, based on the belief that a country's biggest resource is its people, thus it made excellent sense to insure the health of that resource.

In the intervening years I had joined Bell Canada as a plant craftsman. In the 1960 they were looking for computer programmers. I bborrowed some books from the company library and read up on the subject. Then persuaded my boss to send me in for the test. Passed with flying colors and went over to the data processing group. i was in my element, my mind seemned to like computer's way of doing things, or maybe it was that I recognized that a computer is just a high speed electronic idiot savant - it does exactly what you tell it - no more no less.

From there I went over to a group designing data networks and that was when I got involved in International Standards and did a lot of travelling abroad, very educational. Eventually wound up as manager of a group doing long range planning.

I believe that I have been fortunate in having lived nealy 79 years and had many years of experience in that time. It could just as easily been one year's experience 79 times, and I have seen that happen.

So here I am, an opinionated, argumentative, old conservative fart who believes in effective government, size is irrelevant, although raised in the church (my bible says "for perfect attendance"), but I can no longer abide the church as an organization, but I do believe in the parable of the Good Samaratin. Oh yeah, since I do believe that our biggest resource is our people, and approximately half of those people are of the gentler sex, I am probably a feminist as well.

Sorry, a bit long winded.

piece-itpete
11-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Being born whole from Jupiters' head, my political beliefs are both fair and accurate :)

Pete

Charles
11-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Going to work????

Chas

HatchetJack
11-05-2009, 07:47 PM
I grew up in a small town. We had three apparal factories where most of the
citizens worked from youth until retirement. We did not make much money
but neither did the owners, we were happy and everyone had a great life.
We were kinda sheltered from the real world I guess with almost no crime.
Sounds like Mayberry yes and the Chief of Police well he didnt carry a gun
but you cross him and he would beat the ever living hell out of you. Any
drifters were quickly picked up and shown the outskirts of town. The
factories were very good for the community, they hired disabled relatives
and gave them a job, they chipped in anytime the school needed uniforms
or equipment or anything. I started out sweeping floors in high school at
night. Yes they also hired high school students. I moved up quickly to
general building and electrical maintenance. Not only did we work for the
company, we also helped out the elderly retired former workers if they
were unable to do something. We put in water heaters and maybe hung
a few ceiling fans and replaced electrical recepticles ect... Life was pretty
good all in all but I did want more money. I remember being in the break rooms
listening to all the complainers who were running down the owners and the
supervisors telling anyone who would listen how much better off we would
be if we could only get the union in. Most of the the complainers were also
democrats who pouted for more. Republicans and Democrats came and went
without much change either way. My father happened to be in upper
management so I got to hear both sides of the story. He could not pay us
more because profits had been going south for some time largely due to
foreign competition, frivolous lawsuits and more governement regulations
such as Osha and Epa nosing around making demands. The union guys
finally showed up driving their convertibles and did more harm than good.
Clinton got elected and with help from all former Presidents passed NAFTA.
We were in bankruptcy soon thereafter. The factories closed, the workers
left town we turned into a bedroom community for Atlanta. The chief
retired and drifters walk around unchecked. I changed jobs several times
and grew sick and tired of hearing the complainers in the break rooms always
wanting more. Now I run my own small business and feal the pinch this sour
economy has given us. Black eyes is more like it so excuse me if I pull for
American businesses to have a platform for sucesss because I have seen
both sides and lived on both sides and have seen what a thriving business
can do for a community and what a great life really is.

BlueStreak
11-12-2009, 12:04 AM
My father was a very big influence. And my life experiences, have all led me to this point. As the times change, issues change, my world changes and I change my political beliefs may shift with them.

Dave

merrylander
11-12-2009, 07:43 AM
NAFTA + North American Free Trade Agreement, it has nowt to do with sending jobs off-shore, that was dreampt up by a bunch of dim witted economists who claim it is good for the country.

Now surely even someone whos IQ is less than his age can realize that if you give away all your manufacturing capability you cease to be a super power. If your tankers and helicopters are built by a foreign country then be prepared to kiss their a** when you need spare parts.

But in this rush to the bottom we listen to the talking heads who would have us destroy our unions, learn to live on a third world salary while the idiots in Mahogany Row grow ever richer. After all are we not the big bold independent frontiersmen who don't need anyone, we can do it all by ourselves.

One bright spot, Lou Dobbs quit CNN.:rolleyes:

noonereal
11-12-2009, 07:50 AM
I pull for
American businesses to have a platform for sauces because I have seen
both sides and lived on both sides and have seen what a thriving business
can do for a community and what a great life really is.

To what extent do we support business is really the question isn't it?

To we support it to the extent that folks who get million dollar bonuses for bankrupting the world continue to receive these bonuses instead of prosecuting them?

I am sure these bonuses are trickling down. Maybe a dollar tip to the valet that otherwise would not have been given?

spasmo55
11-12-2009, 11:30 AM
What were the greatest influences:

The Declaration of Independence

The U. S. Constitution

The Federalist Papers

The Anti-Federalist Papers

The writings of Lysander Spooner

What are the greatest influences:

The realization that this country "guarantees" nothing but opportunity, but now has a citizenry that feels it is "entitled" which will lead to its' demise if "We the people" do not change our course.

The fact that I and my own have survived with nothing more than personal effort and the willingness to place our values and morals above possessions.

LIFE

BlueStreak
11-12-2009, 11:59 AM
NAFTA + North American Free Trade Agreement, it has nowt to do with sending jobs off-shore, that was dreampt up by a bunch of dim witted economists who claim it is good for the country.

Now surely even someone whos IQ is less than his age can realize that if you give away all your manufacturing capability you cease to be a super power. If your tankers and helicopters are built by a foreign country then be prepared to kiss their a** when you need spare parts.

But in this rush to the bottom we listen to the talking heads who would have us destroy our unions, learn to live on a third world salary while the idiots in Mahogany Row grow ever richer. After all are we not the big bold independent frontiersmen who don't need anyone, we can do it all by ourselves.

One bright spot, Lou Dobbs quit CNN.:rolleyes:

As usual; Well said, Rob.

Dave

BlueStreak
11-12-2009, 12:07 PM
To what extent do we support business is really the question isn't it?

To we support it to the extent that folks who get million dollar bonuses for bankrupting the world continue to receive these bonuses instead of prosecuting them?

I am sure these bonuses are trickling down. Maybe a dollar tip to the valet that otherwise would not have been given?

+1.

You are absolutely right.

Ever wonder how it came to be that we despise the notion of working class folks getting something they may not deserve, but if those at the top do the same------It's somehow, okay?

And how much did they pay for THAT?

Dave

BlueStreak
11-20-2009, 12:10 PM
I have thought about this for a while no, looking for the best way to put it.

I used to go for all of the glitz, the flagwaiving, brass bands, he-man bravado, millitarism, "Real men don't need any help from anyone!" clap trap, and "God and Country" rhetoric. Then one day I realized I was being manipulated (With Pops help, of course.). In short, I grew up.

Now, I look for the party and candidates that seem to be using hatred and xenophobia* to get votes and justify war, the people who seem to think our problems with foreigners can only be solved with millitary action. The folks who keep telling us that the problem with our country is the WE are lazy, overcompensated, and stupid. While showing their undying devotion to those who pay us. The party that would have me believe that their message is somehow "Christ-like" but then I watch them villify, and demonize the poor, gays, other religions, foreigners, minorities, etc, etc.

Then I vote for the other side.

Yours truly,
Dave

* Xenophobia-
The irrational fear of anything foreign, or unfamiliar. The dislike and/or fear of anything different from ones self.

Fast_Eddie
11-20-2009, 12:18 PM
My father was a very big influence. And my life experiences, have all led me to this point. As the times change, issues change, my world changes and I change my political beliefs may shift with them.

Flip Flopper.

Boreas
11-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Ever wonder how it came to be that we despise the notion of working class folks getting something they may not deserve, but if those at the top do the same------It's somehow, okay?

Calvinism again, Dave. The "Elect" deserve all good and all wealth because.... well, because they're the Elect.

John

djv8ga
11-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Growing up during the cold war and watching President Reagan solve the problem while fixing the economy all at the same time with common sense and leadership.

noonereal
11-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Growing up during the cold war and watching President Reagan solve the problem while fixing the economy all at the same time with common sense and leadership.

Good to know Ronnie did all that. :rolleyes: