PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen my old friend, Martin?

bobabode
01-20-2013, 08:27 PM
Martin Luther King's Day tomorrow. Never met him but my old man did march with him from Selma to Montgomery. :(

Boreas
01-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Dr. King left us all an infinitely better world than the one he was born into. That is the true measure of a man and, in that light, few men have been his equal.

John

finnbow
01-20-2013, 09:43 PM
His memorial in DC is pretty impressive. The statue has its critics (justifiably, I believe), but excerpts from his speeches engraved along the walls are breathtaking at times.

JJIII
01-21-2013, 05:52 AM
Dr. King left us all an infinitely better world than the one he was born into. That is the true measure of a man and, in that light, few men have been his equal.

John

I agree.

ebacon
01-21-2013, 07:11 AM
His "Letter from a Birmingham Jail" should be required reading. It inspired me more than probably anything else I have read.

piece-itpete
01-21-2013, 08:40 AM
Happy MLK day to all.

You know it's serious when, you get the day off. When, I ask, o when? :)

Pete

bobabode
01-21-2013, 04:33 PM
His "Letter from a Birmingham Jail" should be required reading. It inspired me more than probably anything else I have read.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. Never again can we afford to live with the narrow, provincial "outside agitator" idea. Anyone who lives inside the United States can never be considered an outsider anywhere within its bounds."

In response to criticism from others within the Civil Rights movement that his actions could be perceived as those of an outside agitator.

Thanks Ed, it's been many years since I had read the "Letter from a Birmingham jail". Too many.

Link to "the letter from a Birmingham jail" http://abacus.bates.edu/admin/offices/dos/mlk/letter.html