PDA

View Full Version : Gm Sucks!

elwood127
11-06-2009, 12:38 AM
I just watched "Who killed the electric car". Discusses the EV-1 and it's death. To summarize, Reagan, Bush, Congress, GM and the Saudis need to be kicked in the balls until the end of time. These douchbags better hope I never get a terminal illness. I won't be going out alone. They set us back decades. On a lighter note, read up on Stanford Ovshinsky. An 84 year old genius that is pretty much responsibe for todays solar and electric car industry.

BlueStreak
11-06-2009, 12:48 AM
I just watched "Who killed the electric car". Discusses the EV-1 and it's death. To summarize, Reagan, Bush, Congress, GM and the Saudis need to be kicked in the balls until the end of time. These douchbags better hope I never get a terminal illness. I won't be going out alone. They set us back decades. On a lighter note, read up on Stanford Ovshinsky. An 84 year old genius that is pretty much responsibe for todays solar and electric car industry.

Whoa! Better watch that mister! You know it's not politically correct to blame Ronnie, Bush, Corporations, or the Saudis for anything. No matter how obvious their guilt may be. It's the unions, Al Gore and the queers that are to blame for everything from crop failure to the skidmarks in your skivvies, and don't you EVER forget that!

Now put on you tin-foil helmet and get back in line!

Cordially,
Dave

Grumpy
11-06-2009, 05:09 AM
Of course the rest of cali's dems are as innocent and pure as the driven snow...

hillbilly
11-06-2009, 06:19 AM
I've been quite happy with our Chevy cars and trucks. If I wasn't, we wouldnt keep 'em long as we have.

Not everyone gives a ratts ass about electric cars and Al Gores flame thrower.

noonereal
11-06-2009, 06:24 AM
Not everyone gives a ratts ass about electric cars.

wow :(

hillbilly
11-06-2009, 06:29 AM
wow :(

Wow what? What liberal on this planet earth thinks they can '' force folks '' to buy electric? Nary one of 'em I'll tell ya!

HatchetJack
11-06-2009, 06:56 AM
The same geniuses that would kill the idea once they realized that buying
the cars would create jobs for Americans, tax revenue and build wealth
for this country while feeding the "evil" energy companies so we cant have
that, "they dont deserve it".

hillbilly
11-06-2009, 07:01 AM
And do you think they wouldn't dick us by raising our electric rates through the roof once everyone has no choice but to rely on electricity for not only their homes .. but to drive too?

Think I'll breed my mares back .. we may need some younger horses one day.

merrylander
11-06-2009, 07:34 AM
The EV-1 was a bust, the battery technology at the time was nothing like today's, and even today's technology has a way to go yet. And we own an electric golf cart to get around with. Hydrogen is the way to go but we need the infrastructure.

Saw a documentary on how some wise ass has convinced the Danish government to push all electric cars. His idea is that when the wind power is not available they can tap into all the electric cars. One of the quickest ways to destroy a rechargeable battery is to charge / discharge it when it does not need it.

noonereal
11-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Wow what? !

I read your post as an overt rejection of moving the nation forward.

It seems to echo a broader philosophy that would keep our nation on the wrong course and accelerate it's demise.

Personally I am not big on electric cars but I do feel it is important to make technological advances and shed the remnants of the industrialists who scared our planet. I read your simple statement as a mindset that supports this old world gluttony for a single class.

If I am wrong in my interpretation of your post, my apologies.

BlueStreak
11-06-2009, 08:54 AM
I don't give a damn about electric cars. I like gas guzzling hotrods.

Now, if they come up with one that goes from 0-60 mph in less than five seconds, goes 400 miles between charges at a price that I can afford?

They just might get my attention...................

Dave

BlueStreak
11-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Of course the rest of cali's dems are as innocent and pure as the driven snow...

No, they're not................

Dave

piece-itpete
11-06-2009, 09:04 AM

Now, if they come up with one that goes from 0-60 mph in less than five seconds, goes 400 miles between charges at a price that I can afford?

Dave

Ain't that the truth. And motors have theoretical limitless top rpms...

Doesn't this thread belong in conspiracy? :D

Pete

Bigerik
11-06-2009, 10:56 AM
GM Rocks!

I agree (as often happens) with Rob on this.
They killed the EV-1 which was the right thing to do. It was NOT a success and would never have been marketable. The Volt is actually the first truly usable electric car to come to market (next year).

Also, GM did not have the government subsidizing the development of hybrids like the Japanese government did for Toyota.

If there is one thing the Japanese understand well is that you HAVE to support your domestic industry. This is both the people and the government. The Japanese would never allow foreigners to infiltrate and take over their domestic markets as has happened here.

Fast_Eddie
11-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Hydrogen is the way to go but we need the infrastructure.

From what I've heard, this does seem the way to go.

d-ray657
11-06-2009, 12:36 PM
I actually like the little electric cars. They seem to move out of the fast lane twice as quick when I barrel up behind them and park the front end of my gas guzzling V8 Chevy truck on their little plastic bumpers. Heck, they actual sit so low that I can't even see the driver flashing the bird.:D

You set us up for that one.:p

Regards,

D-Ray

noonereal
11-06-2009, 02:45 PM
I actually like the little electric cars. They seem to move out of the fast lane twice as quick when I barrel up behind them and park the front end of my gas guzzling V8 Chevy truck on their little plastic bumpers. Heck, they actual sit so low that I can't even see the driver flashing the bird.:D

Yet another classic post. :cool:

Good job. (LOL) :)

Charles
11-06-2009, 03:16 PM

Remember years ago I passed some crappy little car on a two lane down in Texas. Fellow was running about 50, window down, arm out the window.

I was in my 1 ton Chevy van, 350, auto, glass packs. Anyway, I punched it, the secondaries popped open, dropped a gear a split second later, and I literally raked the side of this poor slobs head with the exhaust pipe at about 4,000 RPM. Wouldn't be surprised if I blew the hat off of his head.

Bet he's still cussin' me. I know I'm still laughing.

Chas

Sandy G
11-06-2009, 06:43 PM
GM Rocks!

I agree (as often happens) with Rob on this.
They killed the EV-1 which was the right thing to do. It was NOT a success and would never have been marketable. The Volt is actually the first truly usable electric car to come to market (next year).

Also, GM did not have the government subsidizing the development of hybrids like the Japanese government did for Toyota.

If there is one thing the Japanese understand well is that you HAVE to support your domestic industry. This is both the people and the government. The Japanese would never allow foreigners to infiltrate and take over their domestic markets as has happened here.

Bingo, Buddy !!

merrylander
11-07-2009, 07:27 AM
In fact when Florence was living in Japan the import duty on a $15,000 American, or other foreign car, was $15,000. Back in the 80s when I was still in the standards game, one of the Japanese delegates told me that license and inspection fees on his small car ran $500 per year.

But here we have politicians like Senator Corker who rail against GM, Chrysler and Ford getting any assistance yet his home state is offering $500 million to Volkswagen to locate there.

Boreas
11-07-2009, 12:45 PM

Dave

Well, how about 0 - 60 in 3.9 seconds? It's range is only 244 miles but that's pretty respectable.

Or you can up the range to 300 miles if you can settle for 0 - 60 in 5.6 seconds.

http://www.teslamotors.com/

John

d-ray657
11-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Well, how about 0 - 60 in 3.9 seconds? It's range is only 244 miles but that's pretty respectable.

Or you can up the range to 300 miles if you can settle for 0 - 60 in 5.6 seconds.

John

I couldn't fine anything on the website about climate control. You have any info? They also said to go to the buy gallery to get a price but had none published. It does look interesting, and pretty fun too.

merrylander
11-07-2009, 02:16 PM
I believe it is around $80,000.

Boreas
11-07-2009, 02:40 PM

Saw one on the road about a week ago. Very nice looking car! The sedan looks pretty nice in the pics too.

John

BlueStreak
11-07-2009, 02:46 PM

John

I've checked that out. Way, way out of my price range. I have a brother who lives in Kansas, 1,400 miles away. Stopping every four hours to charge would be a PITA.

The Mighty BlueStreak shall have to suffice for now. But, I see the technology progressing. If they could just give it that wonderfull V8 growl...........................................

Dave

Boreas
11-07-2009, 02:47 PM

$109,000 for the base model Roadster
$128,500 for the Sport model Roadster

Boreas
11-07-2009, 02:50 PM
I couldn't fine anything on the website about climate control. You have any info? They also said to go to the buy gallery to get a price but had none published. It does look interesting, and pretty fun too.

At over 100 grand it has to include AC. There's no technical reason preventing it.

John

Grumpy
11-07-2009, 05:28 PM

John

Tesla's still cannot get their reliability issues worked out. Otherwise it would be a nice car. Just not very practical either.

Boreas
11-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Tesla's still cannot get their reliability issues worked out. Otherwise it would be a nice car. Just not very practical either.

Hadn't heard that, Grumpy. Do you know what sort of problems they are?

John

Grumpy
11-07-2009, 06:17 PM
The 2 speed gear boxes they used were not all that strong. I think for 2010 they switched to a single speed. Have seen no reports on that yet.

Charles
11-07-2009, 06:19 PM
At over 100 grand it has to include AC. There's no technical reason preventing it.

John

It would require an electrical AC compressor, and AC compressors are real energy hogs. And they generally require a constant load. Would have to have an adverse effect on it's range.

I figure that sooner or later the auto manufacturers will come up with a better mousetrap. Whether it's electrical, hybrid, redesigned power plant, or a different sort of propulsion altogether, something will come along.

But we're not there yet. And it will have to be affordable. And for me, it has to be able of crossing the scales at 16,000 GW.

Chas

d-ray657
11-07-2009, 06:31 PM
$109,000 for the base model Roadster
$128,500 for the Sport model Roadster

No wonder they didn't put the price on the website. Might be a car for "limousine liberals." I'll settle for 28-32 mpg from my $15K Saturn Astra. Hydrogen technology is the one I've heard the biggest buzz on. They might have the kinks worked out by the time I'm ready to buy a new car again.

Regards,

D-Ray

d-ray657
11-07-2009, 06:35 PM
It would require an electrical AC compressor, and AC compressors are real energy hogs. And they generally require a constant load. Would have to have an adverse effect on it's range.

Chas

That's what I was thinking. I think the company didn't want to admit that in it's marketing materials, so it just avoided the subject. I know my mileage goes up at least 3mpg when I'm not running mine.

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
11-07-2009, 06:52 PM
No wonder they didn't put the price on the website. Might be a car for "limousine liberals." I'll settle for 28-32 mpg from my $15K Saturn Astra. Hydrogen technology is the one I've heard the biggest buzz on. They might have the kinks worked out by the time I'm ready to buy a new car again.

Regards,

D-Ray

From what I've read, one of the biggest problems with hydrogen is in the fuel cell. I guess if you crack one of them open in an accident it looks like another space shuttle exploding.

I would suppose that a LNG tank would be about the same.

BTW, love your new Avatar. Where'd you get the picture of Sandy???

Chas

d-ray657
11-07-2009, 07:07 PM
From what I've read, one of the biggest problems with hydrogen is in the fuel cell. I guess if you crack one of them open in an accident it looks like another space shuttle exploding.

I would suppose that a LNG tank would be about the same.

BTW, love your new Avatar. Where'd you get the picture of Sandy???

Chas

Think Hindenberg.

Just did a google search for Slim Pickens and Dr. Strangelove. A movie in my top five of all time.

DOH! Just got it. Slow on the uptake tonight. Found it doing a search for right wing lunatics who redeem themselves only with their love for good audio equipment. :rolleyes: I was gonna say I found it on a men only dating site, but I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.:D

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
11-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Think Hindenberg.

Just did a google search for Slim Pickens and Dr. Strangelove. A movie in my top five of all time.

DOH! Just got it. Slow on the uptake tonight. Found it doing a search for right wing lunatics who redeem themselves only with their love for good audio equipment. :rolleyes: I was gonna say I found it on a men only dating site, but I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.:D

Regards,

D-Ray

As long as you don't accuse me of being a member of the Diaper Pail Fraternity, you're forgiven.

Chas

d-ray657
11-07-2009, 07:46 PM
As long as you don't accuse me of being a member of the Diaper Pail Fraternity, you're forgiven.

Chas

That's one I don't know and doubt if I want to.

By the way do you think ol' Slim had some virgins waiting for him after he was vaporized?

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
11-07-2009, 08:23 PM
That's one I don't know and doubt if I want to.

By the way do you think ol' Slim had some virgins waiting for him after he was vaporized?

Regards,

D-Ray

I wouldn't know about them either, other than one of my buddies arrested one for child abuse. I wouldn't recommend Googling them, you may get tagged by the FBI.

Even my perversions have their limits!!!!

Slim is one of my favorite actors. Just his presence in the sorriest POS movie can make it somewhat tolerable.

Chas

Boreas
11-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Slim is one of my favorite actors. Just his presence in the sorriest POS movie can make it somewhat tolerable.

Only ever saw Slim play a bad guy once, in One Eyed Jacks with Marlon Brando & Karl Malden. He did a great job!

John

Charles
11-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Only ever saw Slim play a bad guy once, in One Eyed Jacks with Marlon Brando & Karl Malden. He did a great job!

John

Don't think I've ever seen that one.

But he was the only breath of fresh air in "1942".

What a dog.

Chas

Sandy G
11-08-2009, 06:18 AM
Man, what I wouldn't have given to have been on the set of "Strangelove"....Classic movie, & just BEING AROUND Sellers, Slim, George C., James Earl, Sterling, & Kubrick...Aww, man ! You just KNOW it was an Extremely Large Time...James Earl was the "Kid" then, but I have a feeling he coulda held his own w/all of 'em...

d-ray657
11-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Ya think Sellers got triple royalties for playing three parts? Maybe it was four. I gotta watch it again.

Hey Sandy, it's about time you got her to defend yourself. We been picken on you. :p

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
11-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Ya think Sellers got triple royalties for playing three parts? Maybe it was four. I gotta watch it again.

Hey Sandy, it's about time you got her to defend yourself. We been picken on you. :p

Regards,

D-Ray

Just found my reading glasses and got a good look at your new avatar.

That's not a picture of Sandy.

That's a picture of me!!!!

Chas

d-ray657
11-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Just found my reading glasses and got a good look at your new avatar.

That's not a picture of Sandy.

That's a picture of me!!!!

Chas

Well then I take back what I said about not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings. :p

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
11-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Well then I take back what I said about not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings. :p

Regards,

D-Ray

Reptiles have feeling too, at least in the physical sense.

Think I'll just slither in the other room for a Heineken.

Chas

Sandy G
11-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Ever since I've lost all that weight from the gastric bypass surgery back in Feb-125 LBS + & counting, I don't look like me no more, either...(grin)

d-ray657
11-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Reptiles have feeling too, at least in the physical sense.

Think I'll just slither in the other room for a Heineken.

Chas

Hold it, I thought the management people were sharks. I guess you've already said you're a fish out of water.

Regards,

D-Ray

d-ray657
11-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Ever since I've lost all that weight from the gastric bypass surgery back in Feb-125 LBS + & counting, I don't look like me no more, either...(grin)

Congrats on that. I lost 60 and found most of it again in the ice cream section.

Regards,

D-ray

Charles
11-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Congrats on that. I lost 60 and found most of it again in the ice cream section.

Regards,

D-ray

More fun to put it on.

I've played it both ways a couple of times.

Chas

BlueStreak
11-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Ugh.

Got up to 270, down to 165ish, now I'm back up to 240 and I'm miserable.

Dave

Sandy G
11-09-2009, 05:25 AM
That's the thing about this-My stomach is now about the size of my fist, instead of the football-sized repository it once was. And if I try to "Wolf" something down, or overload it-Well, let's just say it ain't too pretty. Couple o' sessions of "Not too pretty", & you learn to be a Good L'il Boy...

merrylander
11-09-2009, 06:53 AM
I was about 145 when I first came here with a 32" waist, went to 185 and 35" waist (when I can find it) down to 170 now but that seems to be the floor. Still it feels better.

Charles
11-09-2009, 05:37 PM
I've been everywhere from 130 to 205. Up and down the ladder a couple or three times.

Felt best around 140, stayed there for 10 yrs once. Then I ruined my back, quit smoking, and basically started getting old.

I really need to take the Wardens advice "Luke, you got to get your mind right" and loose 40 pounds of lard.

Guess I'm too much like Luke.

Now, if you will excuse me, I think I'll go get my pipe cutters and look for some parking meters.

Chas