PDA

View Full Version : salute

GWAR
11-11-2009, 11:59 AM
I would like to express my undying gratitude for all those that have made the ultimate sacrifice in service to our country, and to all those who activley serve in these strange times.
~S~

Do you love your freedom? Then thank a veteran.

Charles
11-11-2009, 12:12 PM
I agree.

Chas

piece-itpete
11-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Hear hear!!

Pete

Sandy G
11-11-2009, 12:24 PM
...And, as I said "Over Yonder", thanks to the veterans, AND to those who serve them as well...

JJIII
11-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Absolutly!

BlueStreak
11-11-2009, 01:39 PM
You are most Welcome, Sir!

And I wish to issue a hearty THANK YOU to all of my fellow Veterans!!!

Dave

BlueStreak
11-11-2009, 02:00 PM
and I'd like to offer a special prayer for the soldiers who were killed and wounded at the Fort Hood attack.

+1.

Dave

painter
11-11-2009, 02:23 PM
We have a Korean war Vet in our house...and our flag flies proudly!
God Bless America!

merrylander
11-11-2009, 02:53 PM
A big Thank You to all of them annd some prayers for the thirteen families at Fort Hood.

BlueStreak
11-11-2009, 02:58 PM
My Dad, and all but one of my Uncles were WW2 Veterans. One was a WW2, Korea and Vietnam Vet. My Dads oldest brother was killed fighting in North Africa during WW2. My Brother John is a Vietnam Combat Veteran. I have one other brother who served in the Army and a sister who served in the Navy. Going further back there was a set of twins on my mothers side, who fought in the Civil War---on opposite sides.

I am a Navy Veteran.

My flag flies 7/24/365.

Dave

Fast_Eddie
11-11-2009, 03:15 PM
I've been watching stories on CNN today. They're doing a great job. Making you really think about what these men and woman have really done and are being asked to do. Amazing.

d-ray657
11-11-2009, 03:30 PM
One thing that impresses me is the obvious pride you see in so many who have chosen a military career. Well-earned as well.

GWAR, good choice putting this in Off-Topic. When it comes down to respecting the young men and women who join the forces to protect their country, it's not a political issue.

Regards,

D-Ray

noonereal
11-11-2009, 05:34 PM
I would like to express my undying gratitude for all those that have made the ultimate sacrifice in service to our country, and to all those who activley serve in these strange times.
~S~

Do you love your freedom? Then thank a veteran.

+1

Thanks to all the Vets.

HatchetJack
11-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Thinking of a couple of my relatives tonight that fought in the Battle of Shiloh
One was wounded in the leg while leading a charge and being more concerned
with his men and the well being of captured soldiers refused treatment and
bled to death inside his boot. He was the highest ranking officer killed in the
Civil War. My great, great grandfather was also fighting there and was hit in
one shoulder with a mini ball and the other arm with fragmented grapeshot
but survived. My grandfather was a WWII veteran and there are so many
other friends and family members that served. Currently 3 family members
serving, 2 in Afganistan and 1 in Iraq. Saying a prayer for all the troops past
and present tonight. I have been flying the stars and stripes in front of my
home since 9-11

Boreas
11-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Thinking of a couple of my relatives tonight that fought in the Battle of Shiloh
One was wounded in the leg while leading a charge and being more concerned
with his men and the well being of captured soldiers refused treatment and
bled to death inside his boot.

Just for a a little Civil War balance, a relative of mine, Lt. Bayard Wilkeson, commanded the Union artillery's Battery G, 4th Artillery at Gettysburg. He was ordered by Gen. Francis Barlow to establish a position on what came to be known as Barlow's Knoll. Almost immediately Bayard began to draw fire from two Confederate artillery battalions and was hit almost immediately, having his right leg carried away at the knee by a cannonball. When Battery G was ordered to withdraw, Bayard was left at a poorhouse on the knoll.

On another part of the field, Bayard's father, Samuel Wilkeson, was writing dispatches to the New York Times where he was a reporter. Upon returning to Gen. Meade's HQ at the end of the day Samuel was told that his son was wounded and a Confederate prisoner. When the Union retook the knoll, however, it was learned that Bayard had died of his wounds.

Samuel was able to recover the body of his son and accompanied him home to Buffalo. Before leaving Gettysburg Samuel filed one last dispatch which his editors titled "Samuel Wilkeson's Thrilling Word Picture Of Gettysburgh" (sic).

"Who can write the history of a battle whose eyes are immovably fastened upon a central figure of transcendingly important interest - the dead body of an oldest born, crushed by a shell in a position where a battery should never have been sent, and abandoned to death in a building where surgeons dared not to stay?"

John

spasmo55
11-12-2009, 11:53 AM
I was never so proud of my service than when both these young men followed my lead.

That told me more than any words could say.

Charles
11-12-2009, 05:12 PM
I was never so proud of my service than when both these young men followed my lead.

That told me more than any words could say.

Apparently you lead by example. Congratulation.

How was your duck hunt?

Chas

merrylander
11-13-2009, 07:13 AM
In the course of researching my family history we discovered an ancestor with the same surname and christian names as myself who fought in the Civil War on the Union side.