PDA

View Full Version : 1st Amendment facing challenge in NC.

BlueStreak
04-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Here we go again. The US Constitution ONLY applies to the Federal Government? A State can create a Theocracy if they so desire?

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=73a8bc45454166272bd701d20&id=9465db6121&e=b6712cf0bc

What is going on in this country? Are Christians in North Carolina really this afraid of competing cults? (.....Oh, sorry, I meant to say "religions", my bad.....:p)

I don't get how anyone can think that the US Constitution protects individual rights and then support a law that clearly violates an individuals right to worship (Or not) as they see fit at the state level.

I thought conservatives regarded such rights as "God given"? In fact there was some Conservative NRA hack going on about the "God-given right to defend oneself" using this very argument on t.v. recently. Well, if "God" gave you the right to choose your own spiritual path, or own assault rifles, as you see fit, then how can government at ANY level take that away?

These people are nuts. I'm sorry, but I really do believe that. When anyone in the federal government does so much as say "Holiday Tree" rather than "Christmas Tree", we have to listen to a bunch of noise about religious freedom beng attacked. But, if a state like NC tries to pass a law establishing a state religion........Oh, well, that's just fine and dandy. Non-Christians in NC that don't like it can just go to hell or move to Arizona, f**k'em.

How is this "religious freedom"? Where is the "individuals right to choose" in that?:confused:

Dave

BlueStreak
04-03-2013, 03:02 PM
"Some lawmakers and elected officials think the U.S. Constitution just doesn’t apply to them."

Very true and some of them are the very people who whine, ad nauseum, about Liberals "trampling" the constitution.

Dave

ebacon
04-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Something needs to be done. Washington/Wall Street is out of control and they own all the communication channels. The structure is totally upside down with Washington running the states. It should be the states going to Washington to hash things out.

North Carolina's legislation will probably go down, but I feel their pain.

icenine
I think since the GOP has already locked up the tea party vote they are trying to reach out to those blocs of voters who favor religion based government. Like the Taliban.

piece-itpete
Some State Constitutions once had religious tests for office holders.

I thought the Constitution originally didn't apply to States? I don't know that for sure but if the SC didn't strike down the state tests....

Pete

ebacon
04-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Some State Constitutions once had religious tests for office holders.

I thought the Constitution originally didn't apply to States? I don't know that for sure but if the SC didn't strike down the state tests....

Pete

At first the constitution did not apply to the states. The 14th amendment changed that and basicly gives state citizens the same protections from states that they have from the federal government. One of those protections is the 1st amendment.

ebacon
04-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Norht Carolina's state constitution does not forbid establishment of religion. It merely forbids discrimination based on religion.

piece-itpete
04-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Is there anything that wonderful amendment can't do :o

Pete

ebacon
04-03-2013, 03:15 PM
14th is a big one. No doubt.

ebacon
04-03-2013, 03:17 PM
The 14th amendment for real. Check out the handwriting. It's perfect. I miss handwriting.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7b/14th_Amendment_Pg1of2_AC.jpg

bobabode
04-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Is there anything that wonderful amendment can't do :o

Pete

Don't like it? Get a bunch of like minded folk and repeal it. Isn't that your favorite retort?:rolleyes::)

icenine
04-03-2013, 04:00 PM
14TH Amendment-good.

Law establishing religion-bad.

ebacon
04-03-2013, 04:04 PM
I think we all agree with that. But how does a state counteract a monopolistic media system that is pushing atheism, greed is good, and a bat-shit crazy brand of christianity?

BlueStreak
04-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Some of that bat-shit crazy Christianity emanates from within the Tarheel State. Why do you think I am leery of this bill and fear that it may spread?

Dave

ebacon
04-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Some of that bat-shit crazy Christianity emanates from within the Tarheel State. Why do you think I am leery of this bill and fear that it may spread?

Dave

I know. I was being nice. :D

But still. Something needs to be done to counteract or stop the brainwashing coming out of NYC.

finnbow
04-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Every day, the GOP does something to show the country how backassward they are.

bobabode
04-03-2013, 08:05 PM
I think we all agree with that. But how does a state counteract a monopolistic media system that is pushing atheism, greed is good, and a bat-shit crazy brand of christianity?

Stop swallowin' that crap, bro. It'll stunt yer growth, give ya halitosis and brain farts.:D

BlueStreak
04-04-2013, 06:32 AM
But still. Something needs to be done to counteract or stop the brainwashing coming out of NYC.

I can agree with that. But, I would also state that something needs to stand between obsessed religious zealots and the rest of us. (And that something should stand between obsessed religious zealots and other obsessed religious zealots as well.;))

This is why I so like Jefferson comment on the "..wall of separation..."

Dave

merrylander
04-04-2013, 06:57 AM
Welcome to the Balkans.

ebacon
04-04-2013, 08:36 AM
I can agree with that. But, I would also state that something needs to stand between obsessed religious zealots and the rest of us. (And that something should stand between obsessed religious zealots and other obsessed religious zealots as well.;))

This is why I so like Jefferson comment on the "..wall of separation..."

Dave

We have that something. It's called antitrust and the FCC. The lawmakers just need to know that we won't vote them out if they use the tools.