PDA

View Full Version : Patriotism, can it go to far?

BlueStreak
11-12-2009, 02:14 PM
I think so. I think when it turns from simple "love of country" and becomes unquestioning followership, and exagerated claims of invincibility it can be dangerous.

What brought this to mind was a post on my FB page from an old friend who referred to our military as "supremely trained, fearless and God-like superhumans".

Now, I've served in the millitary as have many of my family and friends.
And I have deep respect fo our millitary folks. But, "God-like and fearless superhumans"? Now, that's a crock of hooey that smacks of the type of stuff tyrants like Hitler spew. Yet, he had many responses from people eating this crap up. Normally, I would just think, "Well, that's Ray and he's alwas been an idiot.". But I have found myself hearing more and more silliness just like this over the last few years.

Comments, anyone?

Dave

Grumpy
11-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Short answer yes.

Fast_Eddie
11-12-2009, 02:32 PM
It's not that Patriotism goes to far, it's that people pervert what patriotism means. There are some very twisted ideas about what is patriotic now 'days.

Grumpy
11-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Ed just said it better then I :)

merrylander
11-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Can't ad to that.

BlueStreak
11-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Agreed. Bravo, Eddie.

Dave

d-ray657
11-12-2009, 04:23 PM
You say to may toe, I say to mah toe. . . .

You say patriotic, I say despotic . . .

Actually, one could persuasively argue that we have a patriotic duty to protest when those in power are doing things that interfere with the liberty of our citizens.

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
11-12-2009, 05:32 PM
You say to may toe, I say to mah toe. . . .

You say patriotic, I say despotic . . .

Actually, one could persuasively argue that we have a patriotic duty to protest when those in power are doing things that interfere with the liberty of our citizens.

Regards,

D-Ray

Let's call the whole thing off?

Chas