PDA

View Full Version : No filibuster as the Senate debates gun control

bobabode
04-11-2013, 11:49 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/04/11/senate-to-vote-to-proceed-on-gun-bill/?hpid=z1

Hmmmm, will anything meaningful come of this?

bobabode
04-11-2013, 12:04 PM
"The Senate voted 68 to 31 to proceed to debate on legislation to curb gun violence, beginning what observers expect to be weeks of argument on the most consequential congressional action on firearm regulations since the 1990s.
Sixteen Republicans joined 52 Democrats to approve a motion to proceed. Two Democrats joined 29 Republicans in opposing the motion." WaPo

I guess we're lucky that we don't have to endure another 12 hours of the poster child of home perms gone wrong, Rand Paul, reading from Atlas Shrugged (and pissed his pants).

Sixteen Repubs will now be looking over their shoulders come primary time.

The real problem will be when it gets watered down and sent to the House of Idjits (oops, I meant representatives).

BlueStreak
04-11-2013, 12:15 PM
"The Senate voted 68 to 31 to proceed to debate on legislation to curb gun violence, beginning what observers expect to be weeks of argument on the most consequential congressional action on firearm regulations since the 1990s.
Sixteen Republicans joined 52 Democrats to approve a motion to proceed. Two Democrats joined 29 Republicans in opposing the motion." WaPo

I guess we're lucky that we don't have to endure another 12 hours of the poster child of home perms gone wrong, Rand Paul, reading from Atlas Shrugged (and pissed his pants).

Sixteen Repubs will now be looking over their shoulders come primary time.

The real problem will be when it gets watered down and sent to the House of Idjits (oops, I meant representatives).

In the bolded; This is what political courage looks like, folks. The balls to stand up against the troglodytes in ones own party.

Dave

merrylander
04-11-2013, 12:33 PM
If the polls are right and 90% of the citizenry wants full background checks it may be the 2 Dems and 29 GOPers that will be looking over their shoulders.

At least Bloomberg now knows where to spend his $$$$.

bobabode
04-11-2013, 12:41 PM
If the polls are right and 90% of the citizenry wants full background checks it may be the 2 Dems and 29 GOPers that will be looking over their shoulders.

Yup.;) Gotta love Bloomie's reverse NRA report card strategy.

I think McCain and his girlfriend Lindsey have an eye on the polls that show how well loved congress is these days. The upcoming elections in '14 and '16 are going to be rough for incumbents of the Repub/Jimson weed tea sipper persuasion.:cool:

icenine
04-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Today background checks, tomorrow mandatory confiscation via black helicopters!

BlueStreak
04-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Today background checks, tomorrow mandatory confiscation via black helicopters!

Cool. I'll make sure to be out on the porch with a beer to watch my redneck neighbor get raided. This is going to be a hoot!

Dave

BlueStreak
04-11-2013, 03:45 PM
I think McCain and his girlfriend Lindsey have an eye on the polls that show how well loved congress is these days. The upcoming elections in '14 and '16 are going to be rough for incumbents of the Repub/Jimson weed tea sipper persuasion.:cool:

"If thy right eye offends thee................."

More Teabaggers being shown the door would be a pleasure. I'm curious as to whether the political disenfranchisement would make their base more militant. I certainly hope so. Then, we get to see their true nature. And, I have a feeling it won't be pretty.

Dave

CarlV
04-11-2013, 05:33 PM

Yes indeed, this certainly shows who represents their constituents and who has sold out to big business.

Especially turtle dude and Boner, cha-ching. :mad:

Carl

bobabode
04-17-2013, 08:32 PM
I guess my misgivings and cynicism were well founded considering today's news. The Senate is seriously compromised by the well funded NRA/ weapons manufacturers lobbyists.

The latest WaPo/ABC poll from a few days ago showed 86% want enhanced background checks but the Senate can't even vote with the overwhelming majority of average Americans on this watered down and ineffective bit of legislation.

Australia is looking better and better, every day. I'm sick in my soul of what America has become. A corrupt and sick empire destined to fall. Every Republican here needs to take a long hard look at yourselves in the mirror, if you like what you see? You're sick and deluded.

piece-itpete
04-18-2013, 07:55 AM
I disagree.

Pete

bobabode
04-18-2013, 12:27 PM
I guess my misgivings and cynicism were well founded considering today's news. The Senate is seriously compromised by the well funded NRA/ weapons manufacturers lobbyists.

The latest WaPo/ABC poll from a few days ago showed 86% want enhanced background checks but the Senate can't even vote with the overwhelming majority of average Americans on this watered down and ineffective bit of legislation.

Australia is looking better and better, every day. (They at least had the balls to restrict military style weapons to their military.) I'm sick in my soul of what America has become. A corrupt and sick empire destined to fall (unless some structural changes are made in how we do business and the way we relate to the rest of the world). Every Republican here needs to take a long hard look at yourselves in the mirror, if you like what you see? You're sick and deluded and probably an ass.

I disagree.

Pete

Yeah, I should've added a qualifier or two. Which part do you disagree with, Pete.

piece-itpete
04-18-2013, 12:35 PM
No worries, it's a heated subject and besides, I'd feel left out if I wasn't compared to an evil thing or two :D

My position on guns is clear I think. The US as a failing empire? Rome lastest a long time on momentum alone but then didn't have an immediate successor handy either. Good or bad we're better leaders than any other possible candidate currently.

Big changes are coming for better or worse. Sadly I have no crystal ball.

Pete

bobabode
04-18-2013, 12:43 PM
I predict Vikings on the Cuyahoga...:rolleyes: Keep a flare gun handy.:D

piece-itpete
04-18-2013, 12:47 PM
BARBARIANS!! RUN lol.

Pete

bobabode
04-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Keep an eye on the weather today, Pete. I hope the crap that hit Chicago doesn't hit your area.

piece-itpete
04-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I knew a storm was coming but didn't realise how bad. I'd better batten down the hatches when I get home, which means basically tying the garbage can and wheelbarrow to a tree :)

Pete

piece-itpete
04-18-2013, 01:14 PM
Oh and warming up the stereo, nothing like Deep Purples' Stormbringer in bad weather :D

Pete

merrylander
04-18-2013, 01:59 PM
No worries, it's a heated subject and besides, I'd feel left out if I wasn't compared to an evil thing or two :D

My position on guns is clear I think. The US as a failing empire? Rome lastest a long time on momentum alone but then didn't have an immediate successor handy either. Good or bad we're better leaders than any other possible candidate currently.

Shirley you jest

Big changes are coming for better or worse. Sadly I have no crystal ball.

Pete

Look across the lake, they have a better Bill of Rights than anyone else at the moment

piece-itpete
04-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Don't call me Shirley.

http://blog.syracuse.com/axeman/medium_leslie%20neilson.bmp

:D I see I also said 'lastest'. A ghost is smacking me in the back of the head!

I didn't mean morally, I'm not so americentric to believe we're the moralist :)

Pete

bobabode
04-18-2013, 02:34 PM
-est. THWACK!:D

bobabode
04-18-2013, 07:12 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/after-senate-collapse-a-background-check-for-speaking-out-but-not-for-buying-a-gun/2013/04/18/9438e9d8-a852-11e2-a8e2-5b98cb59187f_story.html?hpid=z4

I guess background checks are OK for these two.:(

BlueStreak
04-19-2013, 06:54 AM
I predict Vikings on the Cuyahoga...:rolleyes: Keep a flare gun handy.:D

BARBARIANS!! RUN lol.

Pete

Vikings only invade towns worth looting. Cleveland is already pretty much picked over.:p

Dave

piece-itpete
04-19-2013, 08:07 AM
DAAAAYUUM :D

Pete

BlueStreak
04-19-2013, 08:21 AM
DAAAAYUUM :D

Pete

At least you can rest easy, knowing your safe from Viking invasion, Pete.

Dave

piece-itpete
04-19-2013, 08:49 AM
Woo-hoo!

http://partlyporpoise.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/homer-simpson-psd24858.png?w=300&h=274

bobabode
04-21-2013, 07:36 PM
Woo-hoo!

http://partlyporpoise.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/homer-simpson-psd24858.png?w=300&h=274

I thought you loved Cleveland?:rolleyes:

piece-itpete
04-22-2013, 10:23 AM
I'm hapy being saved from invasion ;) Living in Cleveland you learn to pick the good or die from dispair :D

Pete