PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap! The Koch Bros Want to Buy The LA Times?

bobabode
04-23-2013, 08:35 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/harold-meyerson-what-would-the-koch-brothers-do-to-the-los-angeles-times/2013/04/23/469baa94-ac44-11e2-a8b9-2a63d75b5459_story.html?hpid=z2

The Koch bros want to buy the Tribune holdings. That's eight regional main newspapers all over the country. Time to cancel my subscription, if that happens.

"The Times is one of the eight daily newspapers now owned by the creditors who took control of the Tribune Co. after real estate wheeler-dealer Sam Zell drove it into bankruptcy. Others include the Chicago Tribune, the Baltimore Sun, the Orlando Sentinel and the Hartford Courant. The Tribune board members whom the creditors selected want to unload the papers (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324874204578436943221475074.htm) in favor of more money-making ventures." Wapo

CarlV
04-23-2013, 09:15 PM
I saw that a few days ago, that would be really sad to lose a credible news source(s).

Carl

bobabode
04-23-2013, 09:47 PM
I smell a rat and it's name is Sam Zell. I may be goin' off half cocked but it seems to me that there has been a concerted effort by the Repugnants to throttle news organizations since the WaPo crucified Nixon. IMO, of course.:mad:

finnbow
04-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Your hometown paper will be the West Coast version of the NYPost.:eek:

I wouldn't line a bird cage with the NYPost.

CarlV
04-23-2013, 09:53 PM
When you gots the money...
IIRC, didn't Murdoch pay to have his right wing news carried on basic service? Or still does maybe?

Carl

bobabode
04-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Your hometown paper will be the West Coast version of the NYPost.:eek:

I wouldn't line a bird cage with the NYPost.

I sure hope the sale doesn't go through. Time to write a letter(s) to the editor.

By the way, The Orange County Register is the local teabagger toilet paper here in Costa Mesa. I'ld sooner wipe my ass with poison oak before I would let that POS libertarian INO rag in the house. :eek:

icenine
04-23-2013, 10:13 PM
I get it delivered daily.....
I hope this does not happen

there is really no other alternative here in Socal

bobabode
04-23-2013, 10:54 PM

Ain't that the truth. I get it on Sunday only so I can access it on the net for free. They provide the Daily Pilot (small town local) too.

icenine
04-23-2013, 11:59 PM
Ain't that the truth. I get it on Sunday only so I can access it on the net for free. They provide the Daily Pilot (small town local) too.

I get it daily and pick it up as I get in my car for the commute to San Diego.....I can not be bothered to read the Union Tribune...no way

bhunter
04-24-2013, 01:45 AM

You mean you dislike the newly minted Doug Manchester purchased Union-Tribune? I have not liked it since the merger of the Tribune and Union. I now read the SF Chronicle, WSJ, WaPo and occasionally the NYT on Sundays.

icenine
04-24-2013, 09:21 AM
You mean you dislike the newly minted Doug Manchester purchased Union-Tribune? I have not liked it since the merger of the Tribune and Union. I now read the SF Chronicle, WSJ, WaPo and occasionally the NYT on Sundays.

I have never liked the Union Tribune:
I moved from Vallejo to San Diego in 1993.
The Bay Area then had two great newspapers and I come down here and find one that 1) right wing leaning and 2) not using either AP or UPI wire reports on their front page sections. Seemed like a small town newspaper. I had much more respect for the Lorain Journal I grew up with in Ohio.

I think the new owners may be more objective but the depth of reporting is not there. Also I noticed hard times have caused them to merge with the Californian for their Riverside County Sunday edition...I do not know it that is a daily co-op too.
The newspapers you mentioned are good. But the LA Times is special and has good muckraking articles that need to be read.

bobabode
05-01-2013, 12:02 AM
http://www.trbimg.com/img-517f6806/turbine/la-na-tt-koch-brothers-20130429-001/600

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/topoftheticket/la-na-tt-koch-brothers-20130429,0,4766912.story

bobabode
05-01-2013, 12:21 AM
"Having fallen short of their objective of crushing Democrats and liberalism, they now apparently believe a necessary component in their strategy is ownership of a few major newspapers. It is doubtful they want to merely have a voice on the editorial pages, as has always been a publisher’s prerogative. It is far more likely they hope to create print versions of Fox News (http://www.latimes.com/topic/economy-business-finance/media-industry/television-industry/fox-news-channel-%28tv-network%29-ORCRP000017476.topic).
Is that what citizens in L.A., Chicago, Baltimore, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, Hartford, Hampton Roads (http://www.latimes.com/topic/travel/tourism-leisure/hampton-roads-PLTRA0000001.topic) and Allentown (http://www.latimes.com/topic/us/pennsylvania/lehigh-county/allentown-PLGEO100101018020000.topic) want? Do they know what is about to happen? And, most of all, do they care enough to start making a big stink? Because public outrage may be the only thing that might prevent the bankers and hedge fund managers from selling off these hometown newspapers to a pair of billionaire brothers who only want to print the news that fits their politics." David Horsey at the LATimes:mad:

Charles
05-02-2013, 07:22 PM
What's the big deal?

If they expect to sell their rag to the local momo's, they're still gonna have to tell 'em what they wanna hear. And I can appreciate the thought that they will now be able to dilute the "truth" with "right wing propaganda". What are you all afraid of...they may print something you don't agree with???

Spare me.

And to tell the truth, I'm surprised the Koch boys would invest in something a dead as the print media.

I thought they were smarter than that.

Chas

bobabode
05-02-2013, 07:50 PM
If you haven't noticed Charlie they're mostly an online news source. It would most certainly kill off LA Times if those assholes bought it, meh, no skin off muy ass. Maybe the subscribers can buy it at a fire sale price once those douchebags get through with it?:rolleyes:

Charles
05-02-2013, 08:52 PM
If you haven't noticed Charlie they're mostly an online news source. It would most certainly kill off LA Times if those assholes bought it, meh, no skin off muy ass. Maybe the subscribers can buy it at a fire sale price once those douchebags get through with it?:rolleyes:

No skin off of my ass either. As far as I know, I don't have a percentage tied up...at least not enough to make a difference to me.

My question is: Would you be more favorable were Soros was doing the purchasing as opposed to the Koch Bros?

Chas

bobabode
05-02-2013, 09:49 PM
I would be amenable to anyone but the Kochsuckers but the only skin I've got in the game is my Sunday only subscription so no big woo in either case, to them or me. News is a soapseller's game first and foremost. Who's Soros?:rolleyes:

icenine
05-02-2013, 10:30 PM
I think the LA Times had something to do with uncovering the local government corruption of Bell. Would an LA Times under the Kock brothers be doing such muckraking.

glen65
05-06-2013, 05:34 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/harold-meyerson-what-would-the-koch-brothers-do-to-the-los-angeles-times/2013/04/23/469baa94-ac44-11e2-a8b9-2a63d75b5459_story.html?hpid=z2

The Koch bros want to buy the Tribune holdings. That's eight regional main newspapers all over the country. Time to cancel my subscription, if that happens.

"The Times is one of the eight daily newspapers now owned by the creditors who took control of the Tribune Co. after real estate wheeler-dealer Sam Zell drove it into bankruptcy. Others include the Chicago Tribune, the Baltimore Sun, the Orlando Sentinel and the Hartford Courant. The Tribune board members whom the creditors selected want to unload the papers (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324874204578436943221475074.htm) in favor of more money-making ventures." Wapo

Why not wait and see if the change in ownership has a significant effect on the actual content first?

bobabode
05-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Why not wait and see if the change in ownership has a significant effect on the actual content first?

Uh, the Koch brothers long history of supporting bad actors and causes anti-thetical to the constitution and the country?:rolleyes:

If your suggesting that the Koch's are looking at this purchase as purely a profit making venture? I've got some land in the Everglades that you might be interested in...;)

glen65
05-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Uh, the Koch brothers long history of supporting bad actors and causes anti-thetical to the constitution and the country?:rolleyes:

If your suggesting that the Koch's are looking at this purchase as purely a profit making venture? I've got some land in the Everglades that you might be interested in...;)

I didn't suggest anything. You're the one here doing that, not me.

bobabode
05-06-2013, 06:36 PM
I didn't suggest anything. You're the one here doing that, not me.

I guess sarcastic irony is lost on you. I've answered your question.

glen65
05-06-2013, 07:26 PM
I guess sarcastic irony is lost on you. I've answered your question.

Not really,
What you've said is at best speculation based out of your own personal dislike for another.

bobabode
05-06-2013, 07:29 PM
I'm entitled.:D Are you tryin' to be politically correct on a lefty? We invented that shit just to mess with the wingnuts...<guffaw>