PDA

View Full Version : As good a definition as any

merrylander
04-29-2013, 09:39 AM
"The legitimate object of government is to do for people what needs to be done." Lincoln made these comments on what role the government should play on July 1, 1854. Lincoln asked why government exists. "Why not each individual," he said, "take himself the whole fruit of his labor, without having any of it taxed away , , , ?" He answered saying that government should do what people cannot do by individual effort. Lincoln cited many examples of things that people cannot do on their own: making and maintaining roads and bridges, providing for the helpless, providing schools, and disposing of the deceased's property. Other responsibilities of government, Lincoln pointed out, are because of the "injustice of men." These responsibilities include the forming and maintaining of the military, police, and civil departments. Lincoln said the government should protect its citizens and prevent them from committing wrongs. He said it was not the government's place to redress the wrongs of the world, but it "may, and ought to, redress all wrongs which are wrongs to the nation itself."

icenine
04-29-2013, 09:59 AM
"The legitimate object of government is to do for people what needs to be done." Lincoln made these comments on what role the government should play on July 1, 1854. Lincoln asked why government exists. "Why not each individual," he said, "take himself the whole fruit of his labor, without having any of it taxed away , , , ?" He answered saying that government should do what people cannot do by individual effort. Lincoln cited many examples of things that people cannot do on their own: making and maintaining roads and bridges, providing for the helpless, providing schools, and disposing of the deceased's property. Other responsibilities of government, Lincoln pointed out, are because of the "injustice of men." These responsibilities include the forming and maintaining of the military, police, and civil departments. Lincoln said the government should protect its citizens and prevent them from committing wrongs. He said it was not the government's place to redress the wrongs of the world, but it "may, and ought to, redress all wrongs which are wrongs to the nation itself."

Most true Merrylander...there is a reason why Lincoln was our greatest President.

piece-itpete
04-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Not Washington? :p

Lincoln says it succinctly as usual, thanks Rob.

Pete

bobabode
04-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Not Washington? :p

Pete

GW was our greatest general. As President? Not so much. Hell, he and Martha stripped the WH and left a mess for the next guy.:rolleyes:

piece-itpete
04-29-2013, 01:18 PM
First in war, first in peace, first in the hearts of our countrymen?

I think Lincoln has eclipsed Washington because Lincoln is more like us today. But there'd be no US as we know it without him, not only didn't he take the kingship, he also put down a probable rebellion just by talking to them.

Pete

bobabode
04-29-2013, 01:42 PM

I think Lincoln has eclipsed Washington because Lincoln is more like us today. But there'd be no US as we know it without him, not only didn't he take the kingship, he also put down a probable rebellion just by talking to them.

Pete

Sounds good to me, I like bourbon whiskey and don't mind payin' a little extra to help my fellow citizens and payin' the piper for fillin' potholes and the like.;)
There was no more talkin' after Fort Sumpter...:(

HatchetJack
04-29-2013, 02:36 PM
I guess he had few options but many Americans were slaughtered on his
way to being a hero.

bobabode
04-29-2013, 02:46 PM
I guess he had few options but many Americans were slaughtered on his
way to being a hero.

Yup. Lost family on both sides but most of 'em were Blue bellies.:(

merrylander
04-30-2013, 07:04 AM
Had a namesake in the Union army. I expect he was conscious of the toll in lives as noted in the Gettysburg Address.

finnbow
04-30-2013, 08:18 AM
I had at least a couple of relatives on both sides of the Civil War. One was a Confederate general from Camden, AL - Richard Channing Jones (later President of the University of Alabama) and the other a Irish immigrant Union foot-soldier (the son of the Irish widow who brought the Finn family name to the US from County Cork) who fought at Richmond/Petersburg and was at Appomattox Court House for Lee's surrender.

BlueStreak
04-30-2013, 05:42 PM

Pete

Yes, the nice people of Western Pa had a bone to pick with the federal government. As this tax collector (The man in feathers) became aware.1734

So, the President decided to sit down and have a nice chat with them....
People tend to be more amenable to conversation......When you bring your Army.

http://presidentgeorgewashington.wordpress.com/2009/07/20/first-lady-martha-washington/

The whitewash won't stick, Pete.

Dave

BlueStreak
04-30-2013, 05:44 PM
Imagine Obama showing up in redneckland on a white horse with thousands of troops to discuss collecting taxes......................

I'm just sayin'.

Dave

piece-itpete
05-01-2013, 09:44 AM
I was talking about this:

http://www.historyplace.com/speeches/washington.htm

".....

"Gentlemen," said Washington, "you will permit me to put on my spectacles, for I have not only grown gray but almost blind in the service of my country."

In that single moment of sheer vulnerability, Washington's men were deeply moved, even shamed, and many were quickly in tears, now looking with great affection at this aging man who had led them through so much. Washington read the remainder of the letter, then left without saying another word, realizing their sentiments.

His officers then cast a unanimous vote, essentially agreeing to the rule of Congress. Thus, the civilian government was preserved and the experiment of democracy in America continued."

Pete

piece-itpete
05-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Btw Dave tar and feathering? I'm for it :D

Pete