PDA

View Full Version : Israel strikes missile depot at Damascus airport

bobabode
05-04-2013, 01:47 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/israel-launches-second-airstrike-in-syria-targeting-weapons-shipment/2013/05/04/cdccddc0-b4c4-11e2-9fb1-62de9581c946_story.html

Advanced surface to surface missiles purportedly bound for Hezbollah in Lebanon.

whell
05-05-2013, 06:00 PM
I'm glad they've got the balls to do it.

BlueStreak
05-05-2013, 06:20 PM

It's about time they stopped expecting us to do their fighting for them. And, I say they can have it. I don't give a rats ass what they do, so long as they do it on their own and leave us out of it.

But, I'm sure we paid for it.

Dave

d-ray657
05-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Israel had a direct and immediate security interest in taking its military action. Good thing they had the balls to act on their own behalf.

Regards,

D-Ray

BlueStreak
05-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Israel had a direct and immediate security interest in taking its military action. Good thing they FINALLY had the balls to act on their own behalf.

Regards,

D-Ray

Fixed it for ya.

Dave

noonereal
05-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Fixed it for ya.

Dave

Nice auto-correct. ;)

bobabode
05-05-2013, 06:59 PM

Send your thanks to the President, Whell. He's the best friend the Israeli's have ever had...;)

bobabode
05-05-2013, 07:49 PM
Not the first time that the Israelis have struck Syria, recently.

"The specific weapons include advanced air defense missile systems such as the SA-17, which Israel targeted in a strike in January; Russian-made surface-to-sea missiles, with a 186-mile range that could hit Israel’s new natural gas platforms in the Mediterranean Sea; and upgraded versions of Iranian medium-range Fateh-110 ballistic missiles, which appeared to be the target of both the Friday and Sunday airstrikes, and which could dramatically improve Hezbollah’s military capabilities."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/syria-threatens-all-options-after-israeli-airstrikes/2013/05/05/a23f2f68-b5ab-11e2-b568-6917f6ac6d9d_story.html?hpid=z1

That mental midgit McCain is already beating his drum. :(
“We need to have a game changing action,” McCain said. “And that is no American boots on the ground, establish a safe zone, and to protect it and to supply weapons to the right people in Syria who are fighting for obviously, the things we believe in.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/05/05/mccain-obamas-red-line-on-syria-written-in-disappearing-ink/?hpid=z1

BlueStreak
05-05-2013, 08:04 PM
That mental midgit McCain is already beating his drum. :(
“We need to have a game changing action,” McCain said. “And that is no American boots on the ground, establish a safe zone, and to protect it and to supply weapons to the right people in Syria who are fighting for obviously, the things we believe in.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/05/05/mccain-obamas-red-line-on-syria-written-in-disappearing-ink/?hpid=z1

Um, actually it looks like he is advocating NO direct U.S. involvement beyond supplying weapons. So, he is halfway there. I wouldn't send any of them anything.

I take that back. I'd ask the religious right to pray for them. There, that should do it.........:rolleyes:

Dave

bobabode
05-05-2013, 08:13 PM
"Safe zone" is code for a no fly zone. The Syrians have a much more robust surface to air capability than the Iraqis had. I think it's a cynical and shitassed way of getting us or the UN (no diff) involved on the ground or bombing the shit out of them ala Libya as soon as the Syrians put a SA17 up the tucas of an American plane. IMO. YMMV. No offense:). The religulous right can GFT.:rolleyes:

bobabode
05-05-2013, 08:18 PM
I don't trust McGrumpy McCain as far as I could pick his sorry ass up and toss him...;)

whell
05-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Send your thanks to the President, Whell. He's the best friend the Israeli's have ever had...;)

Sure doesn't look like it. Looks like the Israelis didn't even give Washington a heads - up before hitting Syria. Now, why do you think that might be?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/05/us-syria-crisis-usa-strikes-idUSBRE9440E920130505

bobabode
05-05-2013, 10:50 PM
What I was talking about was how good a friend this administration has been to Israel. That's how the sec/def of Israel recently put it. What did you think I meant?

icenine
05-05-2013, 11:56 PM
You can posture all you want hawks but the truth is we cannot really do that much except protect Israel should she be attacked. Syria is beyond our control now it looks like either Hezbollah and Iran will control it or the rebels. And it is nearly impossible to find out which rebel factions are Al Qaeda or not....even the Syrians caught in the middle of the conflict between Assad and the factions fighting him do not know who is who....so how can we?

I am glad the Israelis destroyed the bomb factory......

bobabode
05-06-2013, 12:05 AM
Sure doesn't look like it. Looks like the Israelis didn't even give Washington a heads - up before hitting Syria. Now, why do you think that might be?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/05/us-syria-crisis-usa-strikes-idUSBRE9440E920130505

Sounds like S.O.P., Mike. (To answer your question). From your own link...:confused: Did you read past the headline?

"U.S. President Barack Obama said on Saturday that Israel has the right to guard against the transfer of advanced weapons to Hezbollah, an ally of both Syria and Iran (http://www.reuters.com/places/iran).
Rather than an attempt to tip the scales against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, Israel's action is seen more as part of its own conflict with Iran, which it fears is sending missiles to Hezbollah in Lebanon through Syria. Those missiles might hit Tel Aviv if Israel makes good on threats to attack Tehran's nuclear program.
Another Western intelligence source told Reuters the latest attack, like the previous one, was directed against stores of Fateh-110 missiles in transit from Iran to Hezbollah.
People were woken in the Syrian capital by explosions that shook the ground like an earthquake and sent pillars of flames high into the night sky. Syrian state television said bombing at a military research facility at Jamraya and two other sites caused "many civilian casualties and widespread damage," but it gave no details. The Jamraya compound was also a target for Israel on January 30.
The U.S. intelligence official said additional strikes in the future could not be ruled out.
"Any sophisticated weaponry that finds its way there (Syria)that looks to be destined to fall in the hands of bad actors, I think there is a likelihood that those could be targets as well," the second official said."

bobabode
05-06-2013, 12:12 AM
You can posture all you want hawks but the truth is we cannot really do that much except protect Israel should she be attacked. Syria is beyond our control now it looks like either Hezbollah and Iran will control it or the rebels. And it is nearly impossible to find out which rebel factions are Al Qaeda or not....even the Syrians caught in the middle of the conflict between Assad and the factions fighting him do not know who is who....so how can we?

Can't argue with that. I would much rather the Israelis do it, sans any direct involvement of ours. It would be nice if the Russians would be the responsible actor and clean up the mess they helped to create. I'm not holding my breath, though.

BlueStreak
05-06-2013, 01:38 AM

That's right.

However, I wouldn't even do it then. I'd send Netanyahu a note recommending they leave the Middle East before I'd sent a single American soldier. "There's still a few nice neighborhoods in NYC, or maybe Germany will welcome you? I hear Bavaria is quite pleasant in the Spring." But, that's me, I'm crazy that way.

Dave

d-ray657
05-06-2013, 02:39 AM
That's right.

However, I wouldn't even do it then. I'd send Netanyahu a note recommending they leave the Middle East before I'd sent a single American soldier. "There's still a few nice neighborhoods in NYC, or maybe Germany will welcome you? I hear Bavaria is quite pleasant in the Spring." But, that's me, I'm crazy that way.

Dave

For some reason your post reminds me of Mel Brooks' "The Producers." Ah yes, "Springtime for Hitler." :D

Regards,

D-Ray

icenine
05-06-2013, 07:29 AM
I think Israel is necessary. One may find surprising alliances if it comes down to point of trying to keep Iran out of the whole Middle East. I lay most of this mess down to Assad,
whose brutal repression of the Arab Spring and scorched earth policy of destroying his own nation forced the opposition to not even think of backing down. He could have just left the country and the system intact, instead he destroyed it.

bobabode
05-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Sunni vs Shia. Hmmm. If I was a betting man...I wouldn't bet on the lunatic fringe, self flagellating, forehead pounding Persians. Not that they can't make trouble.

I know, let's add Turkey into the mix.:eek: