PDA

View Full Version : The Nuge's older brother disagrees with Ted

bobabode
05-17-2013, 08:03 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/jeffrey-nugent-says-his-brother-ted-nugent-is-wrong-on-background-checks/2013/05/17/cdbfca92-bca6-11e2-89c9-3be8095fe767_story.html?hpid=z2

Interesting. Somebody should tell Kelly Ayotte.

mpholland
05-17-2013, 08:33 PM
I think background checks are great. My only concern is that any new legislation needs to be carefully scrutinized for wording, loopholes and future modification. I can easily picture legal arguments which might include anybody who has ever been in counseling, taken ADHD medication, or anti-depressants or any other multitude of circumstances as having "mental" issues and being banned from gun ownership.

barbara
05-17-2013, 08:48 PM
I think background checks are great. My only concern is that any new legislation needs to be carefully scrutinized for wording, loopholes and future modification. I can easily picture legal arguments which might include anybody who has ever been in counseling, taken ADHD medication, or anti-depressants or any other multitude of circumstances as having "mental" issues and being banned from gun ownership.

We have legal criteria to determine mental illness.

BlueStreak
05-17-2013, 08:59 PM
Well, now that we've met Jeff, it looks like asshattery doesn't run in the family. Maybe Mrs. Nugent was standing up when Ted was born? Poor thing fell out on his head. Oh, well, every family has a crazy Uncle Ted. Unfortunately for us, this one escaped from the basement.

Dave

finnbow
05-17-2013, 09:15 PM
We have legal criteria to determine mental illness.

Very debatable criteria. Have you been following the uproar over the new DSM-5?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/updates-to-psychiatrys-guidebook-change-criteria-for-adhd-autism/2013/05/16/dee4de0c-bd87-11e2-97d4-a479289a31f9_story.html

A friend is a lead psychiatric researcher at NIH and the staff psychiatrist at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda, MD. He has told me on several occasions that modern medicine understands most things from the neck down and nearly nothing from the neck up. Unlike physical illnesses where symptoms point to a disease, with mental illness the symptoms are the disease.

CarlV
05-17-2013, 10:20 PM
I still do not understand why gun shows don't follow today's background checks that brick and mortars have to. Other than the NRA actually wants these sales to gun runners trading for Mexican heroin.

Carl

barbara
05-18-2013, 06:31 AM
Very debatable criteria. Have you been following the uproar over the new DSM-5?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/updates-to-psychiatrys-guidebook-change-criteria-for-adhd-autism/2013/05/16/dee4de0c-bd87-11e2-97d4-a479289a31f9_story.html

A friend is a lead psychiatric researcher at NIH and the staff psychiatrist at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda, MD. He has told me on several occasions that modern medicine understands most things from the neck down and nearly nothing from the neck up. Unlike physical illnesses where symptoms point to a disease, with mental illness the symptoms are the disease.

Yes, criteria is evaluated and updated as new diagnostic and treatment methods are developed. Typically this happens with much debate and consideration from all viewpoints. I'm not surprised at your friend's comment.

merrylander
05-18-2013, 06:56 AM
Newtown suggests to me that everyone in the household should have to pass a backgound check.

JBS...
05-18-2013, 07:32 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/jeffrey-nugent-says-his-brother-ted-nugent-is-wrong-on-background-checks/2013/05/17/cdbfca92-bca6-11e2-89c9-3be8095fe767_story.html?hpid=z2

Interesting. Somebody should tell Kelly Ayotte.

"expanding and improving mandatory background checks will keep a lot of people who aren’t entitled to Second Amendment rights from having easy access to guns."

Agree we do need to improve the mandatory background check system because it is broke...

Expanding it before fixing it is just stupid IMHO.

BlueStreak
05-18-2013, 09:09 AM
I still do not understand why gun shows don't follow today's background checks that brick and mortars have to. Other than the NRA actually wants these sales to gun runners trading for Mexican heroin.

Carl

More gun realated crime means higher gun sales?

Wouldn't suprise me at all.

Gotta protect yourself from all those criminals out there.

Dave

CarlV
05-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Well, you have 1, a great many gun shows near the border, Tuscon for example, at least one every other month.

Plus 1 Mexico's ever increasing drug trade especially heroin.

The U.S. State Department said in March that Mexico has surpassed Myanmar as the world's second largest poppy cultivator and produces 7 percent of the world's heroin, mostly for the U.S. market. The State Department and the United Nations say that Mexican poppy production has nearly tripled since 2007, though Mexico strongly disputes that estimate.

What's indisputable is that drug syndicates that produce black tar and brown heroin in Mexico's Sierra Madre mountains are pushing aggressively into areas where they haven't been active before.

Teenagers in Albuquerque, N.M., Milwaukie, Ore., Fenton, Mich., Troy, Ill., La Porte, Ind., and Mentor, Ohio, have died from apparent heroin overdoses in the past nine months. Law enforcement officials warn that heroin has gained a foothold in suburban Atlanta and is the fastest-growing drug in northern Ohio. Prosecutors indicted 20 people in Toledo on May 10 on charges of conspiring to bring Mexican heroin to the city.

A police detective told Charlotte, N.C., council members this week that the city ranks No. 5 among U.S. cities in black tar heroin use.

"You've had a couple of selected cartels move forward very aggressively into the Eastern United States," said Dave Gaddis, a former chief of operations for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration who left the DEA in April and now heads a security consulting firm, G-Global Protection Solutions.

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/06/29/116739/as-poppy-fields-flourish-in-mexico.html#storylink=cpy

Looks like 2 to me.

NRA sure seems to approve of this sort of thing but then NRA leaders are the actual industry nowadays too.

Carl

MikeG22
05-18-2013, 10:53 AM
well, now that we've met jeff, it looks like asshattery doesn't run in the family. Maybe mrs. Nugent was standing up when ted was born?

lol...

piece-itpete
05-20-2013, 11:20 AM
I'ts up to Mexico to police its' borders as surely as it's up to us to police ours.

Expanding it before fixing it is just stupid IMHO.

It's the government way.

Pete

BlueStreak
05-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Maybe we should cut funding to the Border Patrol?

That way, when illegal crossings increase, we can act outraged and blame it on the president.

Dave

piece-itpete
05-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Finally!

:D

Pete

BlueStreak
05-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Sound familiar?

piece-itpete
05-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Indeed ;)

Pete

BlueStreak
05-20-2013, 11:45 AM
It's an old trick, most recently played with diplomatic protective services.;)

Dave

HatchetJack
05-20-2013, 05:35 PM
Ted is a great guitarist, one of the best, and he outlived most others.
He has changed with the world and his audience. All the hippes OD'd
so now he plays to biker patriots jacked up on monster amp drinks.
He pisses off liberals on the side. It's probably all an act.
I watched one of his concerts yesterday on the axs channel. Never really
cared for the all the political smack the Beatles, Bob Dylan and others sang
about but I like their music and listen anyway.

BlueStreak
05-21-2013, 06:32 AM
Ted is a great guitarist, one of the best, and he outlived most others.
He has changed with the world and his audience. All the hippes OD'd
so now he plays to biker patriots jacked up on monster amp drinks.
He pisses off liberals on the side. It's probably all an act.
I watched one of his concerts yesterday on the axs channel. Never really
cared for the all the political smack the Beatles, Bob Dylan and others sang
about but I like their music and listen anyway.

About how I see it, only I liked the political smack of Lennon, Dylan and others, but don't care for Teds at all.

And, I have to admit you're right, he's just marketing himself to a new audience. I always figured him for a phoney. Even back in the day.

Dave

piece-itpete
05-21-2013, 09:49 AM
'All the hippies OD'd' LOL! This place is killing me today :D

Pete

Rex E.
05-22-2013, 10:27 PM
'All the hippies OD'd' LOL! This place is killing me today :D

Pete

Didn't Ray Manzerak die at 74 the other day? Bob Wier (65), Phil Lesh (73) of the Grateful Dead still alive and still touring with several different bands quite often.

I'm thinking that you all just love draft dodging pedophiles......but hey...that what true christian patriots do...........:rolleyes: I can just see the Son of God at the front row cheering Ted on......

d-ray657
05-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Nugent's Stranglehold and Great White Buffalo seemed to rock pretty good in the days of passing the bong around. Nowadays, his lyrics sound trite. There are so many better listening options that Tooth Fang & Claw stays deep in the stacks.

Regards,

D-Ray

bobabode
05-23-2013, 12:18 AM
Personally I've never found Nugent to be appealing in any state of mind. Cat Scratch Fever, anyone:rolleyes:? Now, Deep Purple, Spirit or The Who was another story, altogether:). Wasn't much for bongs, either. Zig-Zags, yes but bongs where always kinda nasty tasting after the first hit or two. Now, I understand that vaping is the way to go? (Rex?;))