PDA

View Full Version : Transparency?

BlueStreak
11-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Decided to turn on FauxNews as I was eating breakfast this morning.
I know, I know, that's bad for digestion.

Anyhow,
They are apparently claiming the healthcare bill was written by the healthcare industry, which really doesn't surprise me at all.
So, my question would then be;

So what? If Republicans favor unhindered private industry, then why would they have a problem with private industry having input with the legislation?
And didn't the President say, months ago when all of this started, that he and his team would be "working with healthcare experts" in the development of the bill? But now it's all a big surprise to these people that industry professionals and lobbyists are involved, and the American people have somehow been lied to?:confused:

I also find interesting the way the media describes committee meetings as "secret backroom deals". When has congress ever allowed cameras and reporters into in the room during committee meetings when legislation is being drafted? Rarely, if ever. And would you, if you were holding a meeting? I wouldn't. I would speak to the press at a "press conference"? Hello! I don't see how it would be possible to hold a productive meeting with cameras and reporters in the room. Especially in todays climate. Do you?

Who doesn't want "transparency"? I do. But I have what I consider to be reasonable expectations. I expect to hear from the President. I expect there to be press conferences. I expect congressmen to hold town hall meetings.
But I don't expect my government to allow Wolf Blitzer and Megan Kelly to attend every meeting. That's rediculous.

Just my .02,

Dave

merrylander
11-16-2009, 09:01 AM
It is only when the shoe is on the other foot. I seem to recall Cheney saying he would not get good advice unless it was all done in secret. Then he let Enron et. al. write the energy bill.

Charles
11-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Politics as usual.

The battle over health care isn't about what's in the best interests of the population, it's about who gets the biggest slice of the pie.

Chas

d-ray657
11-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Politics as usual.

The battle over health care isn't about what's in the best interests of the population, it's about who gets the biggest slice of the pie.

Chas

Say it ain't so. :eek:

Corporate America bears a striking resemblance to Garfield.

And tell me when Fox suddenly developed this interest in being a watchdog over the corporations. Are they running an end around?

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
11-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Say it ain't so. :eek:

Corporate America bears a striking resemblance to Garfield.

And tell me when Fox suddenly developed this interest in being a watchdog over the corporations. Are they running an end around?

Regards,

D-Ray

It's not an end around at all.

They're faking "left".

Chas

d-ray657
11-16-2009, 12:57 PM
It's not an end around at all.

They're faking "left".

Chas

Bada bing bada boom:D

Regards,

D-Ray

Boreas
11-16-2009, 01:17 PM
During the Cheney Administration it was common practice for lobbyists to be directly involved in the drafting of legislation in all areas. Medicare Part D is a prime example where in the prescription drug benefit it was declared illegal for the government to negotiate the price of drugs with the manufacturers.

John