PDA

View Full Version : I feel elated

Rajoo
05-22-2013, 07:53 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/22/pope-francis-atheists-can-be-good

Only read the headline but already feeling good. :D

BlueStreak
05-22-2013, 07:56 PM
I'm sure the Fox team will be demonizing His Holiness shortly...................

Dave

d-ray657
05-22-2013, 10:39 PM

Actually, it got better when you read it. He didn't see athiests as condemned. I do profess to be a Christian (albeit not a very good one), but I have always believed that it is somewhat ridiculous to think that an omnipotent being can only be reached through one medium. I never believed that Jews, Bhuddists, Muslims are whatever are on a path to Hell. And apparently, the Pope believes that Athiests are not doomed either.

Regards,

D-Ray

BlueStreak
05-22-2013, 11:41 PM
The most (Only?) interesting scene of "Religulous" was when Bill Maher went to the truckers church and one of the faithful threw a fit. The Pastor told him; "....Bill has not come here to destroy us. He's a seeker. Don't you see that? He has come here seeking knowledge. As Christians, we should be happy to help him out, show him kindness and help him find that knowledge."

That I can respect.

The redneck, however, stomped out like an angry, overgrown child.

Typical.

Dave

BlueStreak
05-22-2013, 11:49 PM
Actually, it got better when you read it. He didn't see athiests as condemned. I do profess to be a Christian (albeit not a very good one), but I have always believed that it is somewhat ridiculous to think that an omnipotent being can only be reached through one medium. I never believed that Jews, Bhuddists, Muslims are whatever are on a path to Hell. And apparently, the Pope believes that Athiests are not doomed either.

Regards,

D-Ray

I've always believed that it's how you treat others and the impact you have on the people around you that matters far more than your religious beliefs.

Go to hell because you cut your beard, had premarital sex or cursed when you cut your hand? And, don't even get me started on this mixing of religion and politics. That smells more like men trying to control each other than having anything to do with God.

Dave

piece-itpete
05-23-2013, 07:52 AM
Catholics believe in Purgatory. Heck in Dante's Inferno 'good' non believers and non Christians were not exactly punished, just not sent to heaven.

How can one divorce their beliefs from their beliefs?

Pete

Rex E.
05-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Catholics believe in Purgatory. Heck in Dante's Inferno 'good' non believers and non Christians were not exactly punished, just not sent to heaven.

How can one divorce their beliefs from their beliefs?

Pete

Easy, figure out that organized religion is man made and many times has little to nothing to do with the lords word (including the Bible).

Once you figure that out then you can really start living by the teachings of Christ. Until then you'll always be pointing a finger at others instead of loving them as Christ instructed you to do......

One quick questions Pete, catholics also believe you can buy someones soul out of purgatory, how does that work? They believe in saints and iconoclasm as well, they believe the guy in wizard gowns at the front of the place is casting spells and turning wine and wafers to flesh and blood as well........don't remember Christ talking about any of that......(see above ;) )

piece-itpete
05-23-2013, 08:47 AM
For the record Rex I'm not Catholic ;)

Pete

Rajoo
05-23-2013, 09:24 AM
Atheist bumper sticker "Did God make man or man make God?".

merrylander
05-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Easy, figure out that organized religion is man made and many times has little to nothing to do with the lords word (including the Bible).

Once you figure that out then you can really start living by the teachings of Christ. Until then you'll always be pointing a finger at others instead of loving them as Christ instructed you to do......

What he said.

BlueStreak
05-23-2013, 01:36 PM

Very well stated, Paul.

Dave

Mr. Lin
06-09-2013, 06:15 PM

Oh isn't that sweet. Sorry, but this atheist still believes the Catholic Church will continue to do far more harm than good.

merrylander
06-10-2013, 08:59 AM
Well this christian believes that a person's morality is a function of their upbringing and inner goodness - and further that the Church(es) do not have a monopoly in that area. In fact they seem more concerned with their survival as institutions than with my immortal soul - or any one else's for that matter.

They insisted on telling that I was guilty but never said what of. Yet they conveyed the image of God as a loving Father. I to am a father and would never consider laying such a guilt trip on our son.

Dondilion
06-10-2013, 09:18 AM
The new pope is a Jesuit and a man grounded in the Sciences.

A suspect in the catholic community.

I believe he was elevated because the church was desperate after so many crisis.

Mr. Lin
07-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Well this christian believes that a person's morality is a function of their upbringing and inner goodness...

Hear hear!