PDA

View Full Version : Democracy at work?

d-ray657
11-18-2009, 11:58 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33948872/ns/politics-health_care_reform/

Damn lawyers anyway. The above story is about a North Carolina law firm that tries to act as a puppetmaster for the right wing to make sure the "proper" message gets out on healthcare. They take no pride in authorship, however, thinking that if the message at least appears to be a grassroots movement it will have more credibility. It would be interesting to see if they had anything in their arsenal about tea parties.

Regards,

D-Ray

merrylander
11-19-2009, 07:05 AM
I would hazard a guess that their sponsors are United Healthcare, Aetna, et. al. United sent e-mails and a standard letter to their 75,000 employees "suggesting" they send a copy to their Congress critters.

JCricket
11-19-2009, 07:58 AM
First thing that struck me in the article was the "hundreds of millions of dollars spent on lobbying". Wow, haven't heard much about that in the media. I mean we heard about the cost of health care reform, we heard about the cost of the iraq war, but not this. I guess it doesn't matter how much it costs as the American people don't pay for it, right? It is the insurance companies that pay for it, right?

Yes, that is sarcasm.

merrylander
11-19-2009, 08:00 AM
I figured that out JC.

d-ray657
11-19-2009, 08:36 AM
To the corporate powers, lobbyists are not an expense, they are an investment.

Regards,

D-Ray

merrylander
11-19-2009, 09:11 AM
To the corporate powers, lobbyists are not an expense, they are an investment.

Regards,

D-Ray

And since anyone who buys the products or policies is really the ones footing the bill why should they care.

We got around bribery in politics by making it legal.

BlueStreak
11-19-2009, 09:32 AM
No. You guys got it all wrong. It's because they love us, and want to make sure they are still around to see that that pesky government doesn't fuck up thier game, OOOOPS! I meant, "get in the way". My bad. You see, if someone doesn't have health coverage it's because their lazy and stupid, and therefore undeserving.

Think of it from the religious aspect. Would Jesus go around helping the sick and the poor and ask nothing in return? Hell, no. We've all read in the bible how every time he enountered a person suffering he shouted, "Fuck you, you lazy bum, go get a goddamn job!" Right?

Man. I think I just crossed over, Fellas. I'm a "wingnut" now!!!:eek:

Dave

merrylander
11-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Dave, best laugh I have had all morning.

d-ray657
11-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Unfortunately, I see where Reid dropped the provision from the health care bill that would have removed the antitrust exemption for insurance companies, in order to garner sixty votes for the senat health care bill. Somehow I have difficulty seeing how the voting public would be outraged that insurance companies would be deprived of monopoly power. That one has to chalked up to the lobbyists.

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
11-19-2009, 10:23 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33948872/ns/politics-health_care_reform/

Damn lawyers anyway. The above story is about a North Carolina law firm that tries to act as a puppetmaster for the right wing to make sure the "proper" message gets out on healthcare. They take no pride in authorship, however, thinking that if the message at least appears to be a grassroots movement it will have more credibility. It would be interesting to see if they had anything in their arsenal about tea parties.

Regards,

D-Ray

What do you call 300 conservative lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

Chas

merrylander
11-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Dunno but sounds like a good place for them.

Fast_Eddie
11-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Think of it from the religious aspect. Would Jesus go around helping the sick and the poor and ask nothing in return? Hell, no. We've all read in the bible how every time he enountered a person suffering he shouted, "Fuck you, you lazy bum, go get a goddamn job!" Right?

Wow Dave, that's quite a rant there. And I know you're smart enough to know that's *not* what Jesus did at all! He would simply ask to see their papers. He would help the citizens, but not the illegals. He didn't care for illegals. He would often tell them they should speak English.

d-ray657
11-19-2009, 11:38 AM

Chas

Sharks, duh! :D

Regards,

D-Ray

BlueStreak
11-19-2009, 12:14 PM

Chas

Divine Intervention?

Dave

BlueStreak
11-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Wow Dave, that's quite a rant there. And I know you're smart enough to know that's *not* what Jesus did at all! He would simply ask to see their papers. He would help the citizens, but not the illegals. He didn't care for illegals. He would often tell them they should speak English.

Well.......It was meant to be humour, tinged with a serious note.

Dave

Boreas
11-19-2009, 12:19 PM

Regards,

D-Ray

That reminds me of an old "shaggy dog" story about a lifeboat full of people of different professions. Sharks began picking them off one by one and, when it came to be the lawyer's turn, a shark grabbed him, pulled him into the sea and then promptly spat him back out, returning him to the safety of the boat. When the others in the boat asked the lawyer how it was the sharks spared him and not any of the others so far taken the lawyer replied, "Professional courtesy."

John ;)

d-ray657
11-19-2009, 02:35 PM
That reminds me of an old "shaggy dog" story about a lifeboat full of people of different professions. Sharks began picking them off one by one and, when it came to be the lawyer's turn, a shark grabbed him, pulled him into the sea and then promptly spat him back out, returning him to the safety of the boat. When the others in the boat asked the lawyer how it was the sharks spared him and not any of the others so far taken the lawyer replied, "Professional courtesy."

John ;)

How many lawyers does it take to change a light bulb?

Charles
11-19-2009, 02:44 PM
How many lawyers does it take to change a light bulb?

Depends on how much "change" the light bulb has.

Chas

merrylander
11-19-2009, 02:50 PM
One to hold the light bulb and ten to spin the ladder.

noonereal
11-19-2009, 02:57 PM
One to hold the light bulb and ten to spin the ladder.

it only takes one lawyer to screw you

merrylander
11-19-2009, 03:03 PM
In truth the two that I have dealt with were quite reasonable and great to deal with.

Fast_Eddie
11-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Well.......It was meant to be humour, tinged with a serious note.

Dave

No, yeah- I got it. See, he didn't really say all that stuff about illegals either. I was just... never mind.

Charles
11-19-2009, 04:33 PM

Regards,

D-Ray

You're too quick for me today. Maybe I need a drink to get my mind right.

Cheers, Chas

noonereal
11-19-2009, 05:19 PM
You're too quick for me today. Maybe I need a drink to get my mind right.

Cheers, Chas

:eek:Good god man!
It's 5:30. You haven't started yet??????

Charles
11-19-2009, 07:57 PM
:eek:Good god man!
It's 5:30. You haven't started yet??????

I've been among the walking wounded ever since "beer" camp.

Chas