PDA

View Full Version : "...since Daddy had to lie......."

BlueStreak
11-21-2009, 12:20 AM
You'll have to excuse me, 'cuz all of this took place back when the most important things in the world to me were tunes and weed. And I simply refused to hear anything bad about Reagan 'cuz everyone knew he was badass, having single-handedly won the Cold War and solved all of our problems just like Superman-n-shit-like-that.

To get to the point.

The Iran-Contra affair, what was that all about? Didn't it have something to do with shipping arms to Iran through some South American dictator?

Can I get some 411?

Dave

Boreas
11-21-2009, 12:42 AM
The Iran-Contra affair, what was that all about? Didn't it have something to do with shipping arms to Iran through some South American dictator?

Can I get some 411?

Dave

The Wikipedia entry is pretty good. Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran%E2%80%93Contra_affair

John

d-ray657
11-21-2009, 01:23 AM
In 1992 George H. W. Bush pardoned six administration officials, namely Elliott Abrams, Duane R. Clarridge, Alan Fiers, Clair George, Robert McFarlane, and Caspar Weinberger.[57]

George W. Bush selected some individuals that served under Reagan for high-level posts in his presidential administration.[58][59] They include:

Elliott Abrams:[60] under Bush, the Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director on the National Security Council for Near East and North African Affairs; in Iran-Contra, pleaded guilty on two counts of unlawfully withholding information, pardoned.
Otto Reich:[61] head of the Office of Public Diplomacy under Reagan.
John Negroponte:[62] under Bush, served as the Ambassador to Iraq, the National Intelligence Director, and the Deputy Secretary of State.
Admiral John Poindexter:[63] under Bush, Director of the Information Awareness Office; in Iran-Contra, found guilty of multiple felony counts for conspiracy, obstruction of justice, lying to Congress, defrauding the government, and the alteration and destruction of evidence, convictions reversed.

In Poindexter's hometown of Odon, Indiana, a street was renamed to John Poindexter Street. Bill Breeden, a former minister, stole the street's sign in protest of the Iran-Contra Affair. He claimed that he was holding it for a ransom of $30 million, in reference to the amount of money given to Iran to transfer to the Contras. He was later arrested and confined to prison, making him, as satirized by Howard Zinn, "the only person to be imprisoned as a result of the Iran-Contra affair."[64]

It's nice to know that the GOP stands for law and order.

Regards,

D-Ray

soundhound
11-21-2009, 01:32 AM
back in '82, i was stationed aboard the uss trippe. we had a cryptographer's shack installed on the deck of our ship, with some new crewmembers we weren't allowed to talk to. we spent a couple months cruising up and down the coast of nicaragua, well within their territorial waters. one day, a gun boat came out of the river, and opened fire on our helicopter with a 50 cal machine gun, putting several nice holes in it. when they saw us training our five inch on them, they turned tail and hauled ass back up-river.

HatchetJack
11-21-2009, 07:08 AM
We could dig up scandals from every administration but Ronald Reagan was a
great president and did a lot more good than bad for America and the World.
He inherited an economy in near ruin, lowered taxes and put America back to
work and purged the system of deadbeats. He brought communism to its
knees and was probably the greatest front man America has ever known.
But go ahead and run him in the ground and spin it so that it benefits your
agenda what ever the hell that is.

Boreas
11-21-2009, 10:01 AM

Clinton was in office for 8 years. For the whole time the Republicans were trying to bring him down with a scandal. All they could come up with was a blow job.

Reagan probably didn't even know about Iran-Contra. He was pretty far gone with Alzheimers by then. Others in his administration, probably the ex-spook Herbert Walker, were responsible.

HatchetJack
11-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Ha Ha, Clinton became forgetful too when questioned about whitewater,
troopergate and sexual misconduct while in office.

merrylander
11-21-2009, 11:13 AM

Maybe there was nowt to forget? Good old Ken's Starrchamber could not come up with a thing.

Fast_Eddie
11-21-2009, 11:32 AM

Yeah, love these posts. Hey, no body is perfect. So he made a deal with Iran and lied to the American people... Hypocrites.

Boreas
11-21-2009, 11:33 AM

"Sexual misconduct while in office" is so freakin' lame, especially when compared to Watergate or Iran-Contra or Teapot Dome. Hey, what do you know! All Republicans! ;)

Troopergate supposedly happened when Clinton was still governor of AR. It's pretty clear now that the state troopers were paid (by Richard Mellon Scaife) to smear Clinton anyway.

Whitewater went absolutely nowhere. Ninety million dollars and not a GD sausage. Ken Starr sure is some lawyer!

I'll beat you to this one. Kathleen Willey's story was discredited completely. Turns out she was quite the "fabulist" with a history of telling some pretty big whoppers. Another tragic and telling thing about her accusation is that the date she said the sexual assault occurred was actually the date her husband committed suicide.

I'm no huge fan of Clinton's but in 8 years of non-stop trying - I'll say it again - all the Republicans came up with was a BJ. No Whitewater, no Vince Foster, no Mena, Arkansas, not even Travelgate or the Case of the Missing W's - nothing, and certainly no scandals where administration figures were being carted off to jail as in the Nixon, Reagan and Bush Administrations.

Ever the moral relativist,
John ;)

d-ray657
11-21-2009, 02:19 PM
"Sexual misconduct while in office" is so freakin' lame, especially when compared to Watergate or Iran-Contra or Teapot Dome. Hey, what do you know! All Republicans! ;)

Troopergate supposedly happened when Clinton was still governor of AR. It's pretty clear now that the state troopers were paid (by Richard Mellon Scaife) to smear Clinton anyway.

Whitewater went absolutely nowhere. Ninety million dollars and not a GD sausage. Ken Starr sure is some lawyer!

I'll beat you to this one. Kathleen Willey's story was discredited completely. Turns out she was quite the "fabulist" with a history of telling some pretty big whoppers. Another tragic and telling thing about her accusation is that the date she said the sexual assault occurred was actually the date her husband committed suicide.

I'm no huge fan of Clinton's but in 8 years of non-stop trying - I'll say it again - all the Republicans came up with was a BJ. No Whitewater, no Vince Foster, no Mena, Arkansas, not even Travelgate or the Case of the Missing W's - nothing, and certainly no scandals where administration figures were being carted off to jail as in the Nixon, Reagan and Bush Administrations.

Ever the moral relativist,
John ;)

But John, the only sins the right wing recognizes have to do with sex. Thou shalt not kill? unless the victim is a heathen moslem Thou shalt not covet? The economy is built on covetousness. Thou shalt put no other gods before Me? MONEY! Thou shalt not bear false witness? Unless you want to enhance the "truth" with a little file video, shred some documents, erase some tapes, or out a CIA agent because her husband told the truth.

Regards,

D-Ray

Boreas
11-21-2009, 02:32 PM
But John, the only sins the right wing recognizes have to do with sex.

Well, gay sex.

Mark Foley & Larry Craig? BAAAAAAD!*

David Vitter, John Ensign & Mark Sanford? Mmmmm... not so much.

John

*Once it becomes public, that is, but if you can hide the truth for years? That's okay.

d-ray657
11-21-2009, 02:40 PM
I guess Monica can at least claim that she gave a BJ worth over $90 million.

Regards,

D-Ray

merrylander
11-21-2009, 02:46 PM
Hey, she did tell a friend that she was coming to DC to earn her presidential kneepads.

Charles
11-21-2009, 03:01 PM
But John, the only sins the right wing recognizes have to do with sex. Thou shalt not kill? unless the victim is a heathen moslem Thou shalt not covet? The economy is built on covetousness. Thou shalt put no other gods before Me? MONEY! Thou shalt not bear false witness? Unless you want to enhance the "truth" with a little file video, shred some documents, erase some tapes, or out a CIA agent because her husband told the truth.

Regards,

D-Ray

That's the great thing about America. If you don't get caught, or more importantly convicted, then you are as pure as the driven snow.

I think back to my many past indiscretions, then I look at my rap sheet, which I think doesn't show as much as a parking ticket, and I find myself pure as the driven snow.

BTW, Clinton didn't lose his Law License because he "got a knob job", he lost if because he lied to a Grand Jury.

If I were sitting in front of a GJ, and the only thing between walking or committing a felony was admitting that I got a blow job, well, I know what my decision would be.

And Hillary's whitewash of "I only did it to protect you and Chelsa" don't fly with me.

That said, Clinton wasn't any worse than the rest of 'em.

Hell, I'm beginning to wish he were still at the wheel.

Chas

BlueStreak
11-21-2009, 04:59 PM

Holy Shit, why don't you just add "Creator of all of the Heavens and Earth, and inventor of pre-sliced cheese" while you're at it?

That's a whole lotta doin' for one man aint it?

Dave

Boreas
11-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Hey, she did tell a friend that she was coming to DC to earn her presidential kneepads.

Yeah, apparently she did, fat little tart.

John

Boreas
11-21-2009, 05:44 PM
That's the great thing about America. If you don't get caught, or more importantly convicted, then you are as pure as the driven snow.

And if you do get convicted - and if you're a Republican - you get a pardon and a better job in the next Republican administration.

BTW, Clinton didn't lose his Law License because he "got a knob job", he lost if because he lied to a Grand Jury.

Well yeah, about the knob job.

If I were sitting in front of a GJ, and the only thing between walking or committing a felony was admitting that I got a blow job, well, I know what my decision would be.

Pretty effin' stupid, I have to admit.

That said, Clinton wasn't any worse than the rest of 'em.

Hell, I'm beginning to wish he were still at the wheel.

Chas

We could do a lot worse. My God, it's a miracle he got anything done the way the Republicans were after him!

John