Charles
07-05-2013, 06:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGTn4CCU1S0

Dave

Nice find.

Chas

BlueStreak
07-05-2013, 06:41 PM
A lot of history that was locked up for decades behind the Iron Curtain. I've long been curious about the Soviet Aerospace industry. When I was a squid, I had an older pilot tell me how tough it really was to beat some of the Soviet made jets in Vietnam. He also said you could tell when you were fighting Russian trained Chinese pilots....WAY more competent than Chinese rookies or the Vietnamese. (A lot of what we were told about this was just propaganda.) If you get past the political BS and make yourself look at it objectively, the Russians built some impressive air & spacecraft. (And vacuum tubes.:)) Still do.

Cars, food & drink? Not so much.:rolleyes:

Dave

BlueStreak
07-05-2013, 06:46 PM
What's also interesting, though not surprising, is the depth of Uncle Joes stupidity and how badly he hampered progress in the industry and his country.

Dave

Charles
07-05-2013, 07:09 PM
A lot of history that was locked up for decades behind the Iron Curtain. I've long been curious about the Soviet Aerospace industry. When I was a squid, I had an older pilot tell me how tough it really was to beat some of the Soviet made jets in Vietnam. He also said you could tell when you were fighting Russian trained Chinese pilots....WAY more competent than Chinese rookies or the Vietnamese. (A lot of what we were told about this was just propaganda.) If you get past the political BS and make yourself look at it objectively, the Russians built some impressive air & spacecraft. (And vacuum tubes.:)) Still do.

Cars, food & drink? Not so much.:rolleyes:

Dave

I've had fair luck with their vacuum tubes, although a JJ 7591 developed a short and blew the fuse on my 1000A while I had it loaned out. Glad it was just the fuse, because the guy who was using it didn't realize that when a tube amp starts making a sound "like somebody bouncing a basketball on the side of my house" you need to shut it down and take a look.

And I had a "Winged C" 6L6GC go gassy. To JJ's credit, their 6L6GC's have been rock solid. And I had a whole set of Sovtek 12AX7LPS go south not too long after I put them in my Fisher X202C.

That's one piece I regret selling.

Being an old swabbie, what did you think of the Rooskie navy? They were probably at the height of their power while you were serving.

I know the Japs cleaned their clock during the days of the dreadnoughts.

Chas

Dondilion
07-05-2013, 07:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGTn4CCU1S0

Dave

Thanks for the link.

I have read Alexandr Solzhenitsyn's "The First Circle" several times.

This books deals with the challenges and dilemmas faced by scientists and high skilled technocrats who were really privileged prisoners in the Stalinist era.

No one man should have so much power.

Rex E.
07-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Great link. I had just watched the youtube video on the Nazi Stealth plane. The go well together

Charles
07-05-2013, 07:19 PM
What's also interesting, though not surprising, is the depth of Uncle Joes stupidity and how badly he hampered progress in the industry and his country.

Dave

To tell the truth, "Uncle Joe" wasn't that stupid. It's easier to remain in control whenever you have a certain amount of chaos.

He did manage to kill a lot of his countrymen, but he died at the wheel.

And that was his goal.

Chas

Dondilion
07-05-2013, 07:52 PM
To tell the truth, "Uncle Joe" wasn't that stupid. It's easier to remain in control whenever you have a certain amount of chaos.

He did manage to kill a lot of his countrymen, but he died at the wheel.

And that was his goal.

Chas

Uncle Joe was suspicious of everyone especially military officers.
Prior to WW11 he had decimated his officer corps.

When the Nazis invaded the USSR he was most vulnerable and should have been shot for dereliction of duty. He was warned that Hitler was going to invade but did not believe the time table......Hitler did not want a two front war.

When the invasion occurred he lost his nerves. :D

I found it real funny that this guy was NOT Russian. He was from little Georgia.

The clique around Putin feels that Stalin and his kind betrayed the essence of Russia and is trying hard to restore the orthodox church to the center of Russian life.

BlueStreak
07-05-2013, 09:50 PM
I've had fair luck with their vacuum tubes, although a JJ 7591 developed a short and blew the fuse on my 1000A while I had it loaned out. Glad it was just the fuse, because the guy who was using it didn't realize that when a tube amp starts making a sound "like somebody bouncing a basketball on the side of my house" you need to shut it down and take a look.

And I had a "Winged C" 6L6GC go gassy. To JJ's credit, their 6L6GC's have been rock solid. And I had a whole set of Sovtek 12AX7LPS go south not too long after I put them in my Fisher X202C.

That's one piece I regret selling.

I have three quads of Reflektor EL84s, or whatever they call them and a set of Russian remake Gold Lion 6BQ5s. Solid performers all and, I have as yet to have one throw in the towel on me. Now, when I had my Rogue Monoblocks there were eight Sovtek KT88s between the two amps. It wasn't a year and those things started dropping dead. One replacement, right out of the box, shorted and burned up a resistor in the amp.

Being an old swabbie, what did you think of the Rooskie navy? They were probably at the height of their power while you were serving.

I know the Japs cleaned their clock during the days of the dreadnoughts.

Chas

I thought JJ is a Slovakian company?

I actually had a close encounter with Soviet Navy..................and Air Force. We got too close and they came out to to tell us to f**k off. They were all around us in a very big hurry, on the surface, underneath, overhead and they looked like they weren't at all afraid to throw down should we get froggy.

In short, I'm pretty sure we coulda taken'em. But, it wouldn't have been easy and I'm glad we didn't have to.:)

Dave