PDA

View Full Version : Obama Considers Zero Option

icenine
07-08-2013, 08:24 PM
If all Obama does is end the Iraq and Afghanistan mess, bring health care to those who need it and keeps a moron like Perry away from picking Supreme Court justices then his terms have been worth it to me.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/09/world/asia/frustrated-obama-considers-full-troop-withdrawal-from-afghanistan.html?_r=0

If we can end the sequester I would be pretty happy.

BlueStreak
07-09-2013, 06:49 AM
Four years of watching rightwingers have a hissy-fit and nearly destroy themselves has made it all worth it to me. And the Carnival of Dysfunction is far from over, we have four more years of white-knuckled hand wringing to go...............:)

Dave

Charles
07-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Well, if he has the guts to order ALL of our troops out of Afghanistan, that will be the high point of his legacy, IMHO.

Can't say I agree with Rob that we should have just turned the place into a glass parking lot, but even that makes more sense than what we've been doing.

Chas

Oerets
07-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Never happen in the foreseeable future. Just a negotiating tactic be my guess.

Barney

noonereal
07-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Four years of watching rightwingers have a hissy-fit and nearly destroy themselves has made it all worth it to me. And the Carnival of Dysfunction is far from over, we have four more years of white-knuckled hand wringing to go...............:)

Dave

they still have fox on in the lunch room at work?

icenine
07-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Never happen in the foreseeable future. Just a negotiating tactic be my guess.

Barney

No I think we will leave...it is harder to have a smaller force their without the security support they would need. Plus there may be another dispute over a SOFA agreement.

Dondilion
07-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Well, if he has the guts to order ALL of our troops out of Afghanistan, that will be the high point of his legacy, IMHO.

Can't say I agree with Rob that we should have just turned the place into a glass parking lot, but even that makes more sense than what we've been doing.

Chas

The people there are just set in their ways. Best left alone.

The Soviets tried and failed. We and our allies poured so much arms in the
Pakistan/Afghanistan border that swaths of that section is now ungovernable.
I believed the Pakistanis have now rued the day they help armed the mujas.

In the long run it destabilized their country.

icenine
07-09-2013, 10:24 PM
Actually Pakistan is more of a threat to the US and the region....should it fall to the Pakistan taliban the big question is the nuclear arsenal they have.

Oerets
07-09-2013, 10:25 PM
Actually Pakistan is more of a threat to the US and the region....should it fall to the Pakistan taliban the big question is the nuclear arsenal they have.

Very good reason to keep forces next door!

Barney

bobabode
07-09-2013, 11:16 PM

Chas

Kipling was right.

bobabode
07-09-2013, 11:21 PM

They hate the Hindi next door more than they hate us. Still, we would get the fallout if they go at each other. If we're lucky they'll do each other during the monsoon season and all that fallout will dose up Asia before it crosses the Pacific and hits California?

bobabode
07-09-2013, 11:28 PM
The people there are just set in their ways. Best left alone.

The Soviets tried and failed. We and our allies poured so much arms in the
Pakistan/Afghanistan border that swaths of that section is now ungovernable.
I believed the Pakistanis have now rued the day they help armed the mujas.

In the long run it destabilized their country.

...and the British before them. Hell those guys even stopped that crazy Macedonian, Alexander the Great.

Not much to destabilize in the first place. Weren't the Hatfields from there?:rolleyes: Mebbe it was the McCoys?

icenine
07-10-2013, 12:07 AM
They hate the Hindi next door more than they hate us. Still, we would get the fallout if they go at each other. If we're lucky they'll do each other during the monsoon season and all that fallout will dose up Asia before it crosses the Pacific and hits California?

I know they hate the Indians but I would imagine a Pakistan Taliban run government might try to make a point by doing damage to a US interest....
their intelligence service has ties to the Pakistan Taliban.

piece-itpete
07-10-2013, 09:07 AM
Remember why we're there in the first place.

No one could build the Panama Canal either.

Pete

CarlV
07-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Don't let the door hit us on the way out. :)

Carl

bobabode
07-10-2013, 12:45 PM
I know they hate the Indians but I would imagine a Pakistan Taliban run government might try to make a point by doing damage to a US interest....
their intelligence service has ties to the Pakistan Taliban.

I'm not discounting what you're saying. Just offering a bit of historical perspective from an old fart. We also stopped aiding the Pakistani military when they went nuclear years ago, via the Pressler amendment, which still sticks in the craws of some old farts in Pakistan. I guess I'm little sentimental about the Ali Bhutto years...;)

Poor Pressler, another RINO who couldn't get elected dog catcher in todays political climate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressler_amendment

bobabode
07-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Remember why we're there in the first place.

No one could build the Panama Canal either.

Pete

Oil?:rolleyes:

I thought it was about vengeance and retribution?

piece-itpete
07-10-2013, 12:53 PM
http://www.globalsecurity.org/intell/library/imint/images/011031-D-6570C-003.jpg

Pete

bobabode
07-10-2013, 09:20 PM
http://www.globalsecurity.org/intell/library/imint/images/011031-D-6570C-003.jpg

Pete

Is that before Big Dog Bill popped off several cruise missles at it?