PDA

View Full Version : Greenland is Melting

bobabode
07-28-2013, 07:54 PM
Rolling Stone article about Greenland's glaciers.
http://www.rollingstone.com/greenland-melting

Goodbye, Miami?
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/why-the-city-of-miami-is-doomed-to-drown-20130620

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-10-dumbest-things-ever-said-about-global-warming-20130619

hillbilly
07-28-2013, 10:00 PM
Why would the water level rise only there?

BlueStreak
07-28-2013, 10:24 PM
It doesn't. That's the whole point. Ice melting in the northern and southern extremes are known to cause a rise in sea levels globally.

Dave

bobabode
07-28-2013, 10:25 PM
Why would the water level rise only there?

It won't. It'll be the same all over the planet with some pretty catastrophic results for low lying areas. Miami and a lot of Florida is very near sea level.

bobabode
07-28-2013, 11:12 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/global-warmings-terrifying-new-math-20120719

Pesky math.:rolleyes:It's a long article but hey, it's mathematics.

BlueStreak
07-28-2013, 11:19 PM
I live on the highest point (residential) in my area----14 feet. I'm ~16 miles from the Atlantic. Many places are even lower than that and more densely populated.

Dave

bobabode
07-28-2013, 11:49 PM
I'm at 55 feet or thereabouts. The real problem is the refugees coming from the lower/closer to sea level areas. Not to mention what the somewhat unpredictable effects of warming will do to the food supply. Some of the outlier scientists are saying that we will have a sixty foot rise by the end of this century. That's right, a 60 foot rise in mean sea level. Let's just say they're wrong by 75%? That would only be 15 feet.:(

We're in a slow motion train wreck of biblical proportions. I guess Yahweh wasn't shitting us when he said we would burn this time around. That is, what don't get drowned or starve first.

hillbilly
07-29-2013, 12:00 AM
I live on the highest point (residential) in my area----14 feet. I'm ~16 miles from the Atlantic. Many places are even lower than that and more densely populated.

Dave

I'm lucky ( sorta ). I live nearly 1,000 feet and am able to go 2090 if need be. Our foothills are just little anthills compared to folks who live in the real mountains. :o

HarmanKardon
07-29-2013, 03:09 AM
Glaciers are melting all over the world. So did my brain during the latest heat wave here.

The Netherlands in danger? Perhaps. It would be sad because the meisjes are so pretty! :D

By the way - we should guard our tongue saying "the climate goes crazy" or "the weather goes crazy". Nature just responds in a natural appropriate manner on the inappropriate impacts caused by mankind.

merrylander
07-29-2013, 06:21 AM
At 400 feet we are safe enough but many places along the Chesapeake Bay are at risk and I am not quite sure about the elevation at Calvert Cliffs Nuclear plant. We could be high and dray and in the dark.

bobabode
07-29-2013, 12:37 PM
Glaciers are melting all over the world. So did my brain during the latest heat wave here.

The Netherlands in danger? Perhaps. It would be sad because the meisjes are so pretty! :D

By the way - we should guard our tongue saying "the climate goes crazy" or "the weather goes crazy". Nature just responds in a natural appropriate manner on the inappropriate impacts caused by mankind.

Hi Chris, Good to hear that you are doing better.

Sea level rise is going to be devastating for anyone living within 100 miles of the present shorelines around the world. Yes, the Dutch will have to move and so will many people all around the Baltic.

piece-itpete
07-29-2013, 12:41 PM
May we live in interesting times.

Sooner or later geographics change though regardless.

Pete

bobabode
07-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Yeh, when life gives you lemons? Paint that chit gold...:rolleyes: or black as in the case of the Greenland icepack due to coal soot.:(

bobabode
07-29-2013, 01:06 PM
Oh, well. We're able to navigate the fabled and elusive Northwest Passage finally and drill baby, drill in the Bering Sea.

Good times if you don't like King crab, Snow crab and the many other foodstuffs we get from up there.

piece-itpete
07-29-2013, 01:17 PM
Cue high pitched female voice: 'Look on the sunny side, always on the sunny side, look on the sunny side of life' :)

Slowly rising water will look like cake after the inevitable large asteroid strike!

Pete

piece-itpete
07-29-2013, 01:22 PM
Cheery thought :D

Pete

bobabode
07-29-2013, 01:28 PM
Cue high pitched female voice: 'Look on the sunny side, always on the sunny side, look on the sunny side of life' :)

Pete

Did you watch 'O Brother, Where art thou' again over the weekend?:rolleyes:

piece-itpete
07-29-2013, 01:33 PM
Whoa, I never heard of that movie (I was playing the Carter Family on the brain-waves) but the soundtrack looks pretty darn good, thanks!

Pete

bobabode
07-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Whoa, I never heard of that movie (I was playing the Carter Family on the brain-waves) but the soundtrack looks pretty darn good, thanks!

Pete

It's a hilarious remake of the Odyssey by Homer. Well worth watching, Pete.
There's even sirens in it.;)

Charles
07-29-2013, 03:38 PM

Pete

The soundtrack IS good.

Chas

Charles
07-29-2013, 03:42 PM
It's a hilarious remake of the Odyssey by Homer. Well worth watching, Pete.
There's even sirens in it.;)

They wuz more sirens in "Smokey and the Bandit."

Best damm dockementry ever maid!!!

Chas

bobabode
07-29-2013, 05:30 PM
The soundtrack IS good.

Chas

It's got bonifides, yessir.;)

d-ray657
07-29-2013, 05:45 PM

Pete

Produced by T-Bone Burnett. A little Allison Krausse thrown in for good measure (If my memory hasn't played tricks on me)..

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
07-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Produced by T-Bone Burnett. A little Allison Krausse thrown in for good measure (If my memory hasn't played tricks on me)..

Regards,

D-Ray

Let's give credit where credit is due. This is the cut that put the "Soggy Bottom Boys" on top!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og6Lye5rVxk

Chas

bobabode
07-29-2013, 06:28 PM
Re elect Pappy o'Bannion!:D

piece-itpete
07-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Now I've GOT to see it!

Was this the methane thread? This is interesting:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/Air-Pollution-Has-Been-a-Problem-Since-the-Days-of-Ancient-Rome-187936271.html

Pete

bobabode
07-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Now I've GOT to see it!

Was this the methane thread? This is interesting:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/Air-Pollution-Has-Been-a-Problem-Since-the-Days-of-Ancient-Rome-187936271.html

Pete

Who listens to those wild eyed radicals from inside the beltway, the Smithsons? :rolleyes:

It's a given that pig/cow farts and burning anything will leave a signature in the ice core samples from Greenland but once we really got fossil fuel age up and going, the order of magnitude went up.

The methane emissions from the melting permafrost tundra seems to have ignored in most climatologists calculations was my takeaway from the article. Methane being a much worse greenhouse gas than CO2. We're seeing some re assessment by the scientific community of the timeframe and the estimated sea level rise. Faster and higher.

piece-itpete
07-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Yeah, what they thought was the baseline wasn't.

Pete

bobabode
08-01-2013, 12:33 AM
Yeah, what they thought was the baseline wasn't.

Pete

:confused: Still waiting for the perfect scientific model, Pete?
You do realize that Lake Erie is connected to the Atlantic, right?

piece-itpete
08-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Say it ain't so! ;)

I was making a comment, no politics involved. It just means the problem is even worse than previously believed.

So, hasn't Greenland melted yet? :o

Pete

bobabode
08-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Say it ain't so! ;)

I was making a comment, no politics involved. It just means the problem is even worse than previously believed.

So, hasn't Greenland melted yet? :o

Pete

Naw, we'll probably be dead by then. Zombies'll get you first.;)