PDA

View Full Version : Moondog!

BlueStreak
12-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Tonight, here in the swamp, we have a spectacular Lunar Halo, aka--Moondog!

This thing is HUGE and very bright as the moon is full this evening. Moondogs are caused by the lunar light reflecting off of ice crystals in cirro-stratus cloud formations at very high altitudes.

Man, y'all should see this. It's amazing!

Anyone else see it?

Dave

hillbilly
12-02-2009, 05:13 AM
No swamp, but it was lit up like a light bulb here in middle TN last night. We left out for a 40 mile drive from home after school to an away game and sat through four games. When we came out around 8 after the last one was over to head for home, the moon was really shining down. I didn't know we had four games so I had to feed in the dark. Thing is, it was pretty outside and I didn't even need a flashlight to walk through the woods to the feed shed. From up on our hill, we could see the water in the creek below plain as can be from our front deck, and our livestock pond just inside of the woods a piece. I was thinking it would be a great night to ride horses, but was more ready to start supper after sitting through four games. I sorta wish now that we'd rode over the hill and looked at the lake ( Center Hill Lake is right over the next hill here ), I bet it woulda looked pretty. Now it is raining like pouring piss out of a boot. Good thing I also set a 6x6 roll of hay out last night, or I'd be tearing up wet ground doing it today :)

merrylander
12-02-2009, 07:35 AM
Good man Dave, looking after your horses.

BlueStreak
12-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Sounds like you live in a beautiful place, Hillbilly!

I don't really live in a swamp here, either. But there is a large swamp nearby and we get all of the bugs!

Too bad you didn't see the Moondog, though. It was quite amazing!

Dave