PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Safari Club Black Rhino Hunt?

bobabode
10-27-2013, 06:07 PM
http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/life/10-25-13-stephen-colbert-dallas-safari-club-black-rhino-hunt/

WTF? File this 'un under, 'Let's Dump Texas' or just 'dumb and dumbest'.:rolleyes:

donquixote99
10-27-2013, 10:57 PM
There's this little issue I have with this idea. I mean, big money for conservation sounds swell and all, but who actually wants to actually shoot a black rhino? What's wrong with these people?

d-ray657
10-28-2013, 05:40 AM
I saw this one covered on the Colbert Report. (http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episodes/thu-october-24-2013-stephen-fry)

Regards,

D-Ray

BlueStreak
10-28-2013, 08:59 AM
I guess these idiots think they have a right to kill whatever they like?

Charles
10-28-2013, 05:40 PM
There's this little issue I have with this idea. I mean, big money for conservation sounds swell and all, but who actually wants to actually shoot a black rhino? What's wrong with these people?

I suppose that if you're one of the few with the inclination and funds to hunt the big five, the black rhino would be considered the ultimate prize.

The prize of a lifetime.

Chas

bobabode
10-28-2013, 05:56 PM
I suppose that if you're one of the few with the inclination and funds to hunt the big five, the black rhino would be considered the ultimate prize.

The prize of a lifetime.

Chas

At which point do we stop trophy hunters from driving a species into extinction?

donquixote99
10-28-2013, 05:57 PM

The prize of a lifetime.

Chas

OK, I understand some people may have more hunt/kill instincts than I do, but I don't think this 'prize of a lifetime' is anything real. I mean, after you've killed a Black Rhino, what will have changed?

Other than a rare creature being converted to meat that will rot, that is.

Charles
10-28-2013, 06:25 PM
At which point do we stop trophy hunters from driving a species into extinction?

Actually, it's the poachers who have driven them close to extinction, not the trophy hunters.

They're a different breed, and if you're not a hunter I doubt that you can understand them at all. They are also staunch conservationists, hence the reason for this safari. They put their money where their mouth is.

Chas

Charles
10-28-2013, 06:29 PM
OK, I understand some people may have more hunt/kill instincts than I do, but I don't think this 'prize of a lifetime' is anything real. I mean, after you've killed a Black Rhino, what will have changed?

Other than a rare creature being converted to meat that will rot, that is.

If you had a chance to come home with a JBL Paragon, would you do it?

Chas

donquixote99
10-28-2013, 06:50 PM
Sure.

If you had a chance to shoot a JBL Paragon, would you do it?

bobabode
10-28-2013, 06:55 PM
Actually, it's the poachers who have driven them close to extinction, not the trophy hunters.

They're a different breed, and if you're not a hunter I doubt that you can understand them at all. They are also staunch conservationists, hence the reason for this safari. They put their money where their mouth is.

Chas

Yeah, right. Let's kill one of the last black rhinos to save the species. You'ld be making me laugh if that position wasn't absurd on the face of it.

I'm no hunter but I do fish and every California Black Seabass that I've caught was revived and sent back into the briney deep to live another day and if I saw another angler catch and keep one, the department of Fish and Game would be waiting at the dock. Shit, I've said it before and I'll say it again-I don't have a problem with hunters taking game as long as they eat it and I don't care if they display the rack on the wall. Hell, they're saving me a big fix it bill from running over some mangy muley on the highway.

It sounds like you're being just contrary today to get your rocks off. Grab a cold one and think it through, buddy. The old days off bagging the big five for a trophy mount are over unless you want to do it bowhunting, imo.:rolleyes: I would love to see a dumb mother**ker from Dallas go after a Cape Buffalo with a compound bow.:D

edit-I would pay to see it.;):)

BlueStreak
10-28-2013, 11:43 PM
If you had a chance to come home with a JBL Paragon, would you do it?

Chas

Sure.

If you had a chance to shoot a JBL Paragon, would you do it?

Really. WTF, Chas? Not a very good comparison.

Dave

donquixote99
10-29-2013, 04:04 AM
They're a different breed, and if you're not a hunter I doubt that you can understand them at all.

What's to understand? People get turned on by all sorts of things, and having a particular obsession does not make one special. Sheesh.

Here, Ninotchka's attitude on flirting is rather similar to my attitude on hunting of endangered species:

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/1596813

Charles
10-29-2013, 07:03 AM
Really. WTF, Chas? Not a very good comparison.

Dave

I suppose not, I was drawing a correlation between collectors, and this issue is primarily an auction.

And, as the Safari Club pointed out in a different article, this is a public auction for a tag, there are no provisions that it must actually be filled.

Which means that anyone, including yourselves can win it. And then tear it up if you wish. It's actually a chance for EVERYONE to put their money where their mouth is.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/28/black-rhino-hunt_n_4170717.html?utm_hp_ref=green&ir=Green

Besides, culling the herd has long been an accepted practice of wildlife management. It's not like the Safari Club wants to go down there and kill them all.

Besides, I would like to offer my congratulations to Wayne Pacelle (CEO, Humane Society US) for using the term "slippery slope" to advance his slippery slope argument. I'm sure that Don would relish the thought of opposing him in a court of law.

To quote the Hon. Buggs Bunny, "What a maroon."

Chas

Charles
10-29-2013, 07:43 AM
Yeah, right. Let's kill one of the last black rhinos to save the species. You'ld be making me laugh if that position wasn't absurd on the face of it.

I'm no hunter but I do fish and every California Black Seabass that I've caught was revived and sent back into the briney deep to live another day and if I saw another angler catch and keep one, the department of Fish and Game would be waiting at the dock. Shit, I've said it before and I'll say it again-I don't have a problem with hunters taking game as long as they eat it and I don't care if they display the rack on the wall. Hell, they're saving me a big fix it bill from running over some mangy muley on the highway.

It sounds like you're being just contrary today to get your rocks off. Grab a cold one and think it through, buddy. The old days off bagging the big five for a trophy mount are over unless you want to do it bowhunting, imo.:rolleyes: I would love to see a dumb mother**ker from Dallas go after a Cape Buffalo with a compound bow.:D

edit-I would pay to see it.;):)

A bow and arrow???

Using anything less than a Holland & Holland double rifle, preferably chambered in an obsolete cordite round would be heresy for a shooting fish in a barrel expedition such as this.

I would imagine that a hunt of this nature would have all of the excitement of shooting a cow in a feed lot.

Unless you only wound it, and your professional hunter has to put it down while it's chasing you around, trying to kill you.

Now THAT would be exciting.

Chas

piece-itpete
10-29-2013, 12:20 PM

Chas

Very well said. My dad said that once they realized the animals in Africa were disappearing the trophy hunters were the ones who went out rounded up what they could find and got them to the reservations.

Pete

bobabode
10-29-2013, 02:40 PM
A bow and arrow???

Using anything less than a Holland & Holland double rifle, preferably chambered in an obsolete cordite round would be heresy for a shooting fish in a barrel expedition such as this.

I would imagine that a hunt of this nature would have all of the excitement of shooting a cow in a feed lot.

Unless you only wound it, and your professional hunter has to put it down while it's chasing you around, trying to kill you.

Now THAT would be exciting.

Chas

Yes, indeedy.:D I would be betting on the rhino or Cape buffalo turning the lucky tag winner into a red smear in the mud of Namibia.

On a lighter note, I attended a wedding this past weekend at a private venue by the name of Rancho Las Lomas in Silverado, Ca. These folks rescue all manner of animals including a fine specimen of one of the big five. A 600lb Bengal tiger. :eek: Turns out Tonka doesn't like men. When I walked up to the cage this big cat started growling and rearing up at me from three feet away. I beat a hasty retreat to the cage where they have a pair of those well behaved white tigers.

Rex E.
10-29-2013, 06:43 PM
If I remember correctly from his book, Fred Bear did hunt the big five or most of them with a bow and not some BS pussy compound bow (a rifle more or less in my eyes) but a re curve, as I remember.

Pretty interesting book.....

finnbow
10-29-2013, 08:00 PM
If I remember correctly from his book, Fred Bear did hunt the big five or most of them with a bow and not some BS pussy compound bow (a rifle more or less in my eyes) but a re curve, as I remember.

Pretty interesting book.....

He did indeed. As an avid bowhunter, I can attest to the fact that a well-placed arrow will kill anything a rifle will kill. Anything, from moose to grizzly to rhino or elephant.

Anti-Party
10-30-2013, 11:22 PM
The only way to save a rare animal is to kill it and stuff it. It will always be there in the living room.

Of course doing what we did with the Bald Eagles is another approach...

piece-itpete
10-31-2013, 09:16 AM
"Oh all right. Um I never knew Biscuit as a dog. I only knew her as a table. She was sturdy, all four legs the same length..."

-Stewie, saying a few words at his dogs' stuffed mothers gravesite.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070601213429/familyguy/images/thumb/e/ee/FGRoadtoRhodeIsland.jpg/310px-FGRoadtoRhodeIsland.jpg

Rex E.
10-31-2013, 06:52 PM
"Oh all right. Um I never knew Biscuit as a dog. I only knew her as a table. She was sturdy, all four legs the same length..."

-Stewie, saying a few words at his dogs' stuffed mothers gravesite.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070601213429/familyguy/images/thumb/e/ee/FGRoadtoRhodeIsland.jpg/310px-FGRoadtoRhodeIsland.jpg

That was a funny episode......Brian's mom.....