PDA

View Full Version : Shaking the family tree...

bobabode
11-16-2013, 03:32 PM
...you'll never know what will fall out.:rolleyes:

http://thegrio.com/2013/11/12/white-supremacist-finds-out-he-is-14-percent-black/

merrylander
11-16-2013, 03:42 PM
I had better luck, traced my wife back to 7 X Great Grandparents. 6 X GGmother was titled, a Doņa in Castile, Spain

BlueStreak
11-16-2013, 04:06 PM
Ha, Ha! What a jackass..........

mpholland
11-16-2013, 06:00 PM
I can only get back to my great-great-grandfather, Thomas Jefferson Holland. The trail goes cold back in Lincoln county, Tennessee before he hit the Oregon Trail.

bobabode
11-16-2013, 06:06 PM

Indeed. The white supremacist finds out that he is 14% black and calls it statistical noise and goes on to claim the oil and water don't mix...:rolleyes:

one1
11-16-2013, 06:24 PM

I have always known that no race is pure,Even hitler had some relatives he would rater not invite for dinner.I think all racists should do a search of the old tree before they sart hoopin' an a hollerin'

one1
11-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Indeed. The white supremacist finds out that he is 14% black and calls it statistical noise and goes on to claim the oil and water don't mix...:rolleyes:

Always gonna find a way to justify their belief's.

BlueStreak
11-16-2013, 07:36 PM
My paternal grandfather was born in Scotland in the 1880s, his family landed in the Finger Lakes area of New York when he was a teenager. Grandmother on that side was born in Lillehammer, Norway, her family moving here when she was 6.

My mothers family can be traced all the way back to Norfolk, Virginia circa the 1690s. And that's where we simply run out of records. It's an English name, Wyndham, so we just assume that they came from there. When? We have no idea.

My mother always said she suspected there were blacks in her tree. 300+ years and the knowledge that some of the ancestors were indeed slave-owners, or at least had domestic servants, certainly presents lots of opportunity.

My take? I couldn't care less. Once the DNA strand is there, it's done, you can't change it. Besides, I've dated black women, so what?

Mention it to my brother and you may wind up taking an ambulance ride. He's such an ass.:rolleyes:

Dave

mpholland
11-16-2013, 08:21 PM
I lost my virginity to a black woman. Not really much of a reason there to hate 'em. I could really care less if there is some in my lineage.

Oerets
11-16-2013, 08:40 PM
I'd like to get the test, anyone know how muck one cost?

My maternal side goes back to France in the late 1500's IIRC some Mi'kmaq mixed in once the settled in the New World. Fathers side early 1800's immigrants to PA., one side German the other English.

BTW the wife's 100% German ancestry, but Father was raised by an Irish couple after adopted. We are a blended society are we not?

Barney

bobabode
11-16-2013, 09:54 PM
I'd like to get the test, anyone know how muck one cost?

My maternal side goes back to France in the late 1500's IIRC some Mi'kmaq mixed in once the settled in the New World. Fathers side early 1800's immigrants to PA., one side German the other English.

BTW the wife's 100% German ancestry, but Father was raised by an Irish couple after adopted. We are a blended society are we not?

Barney

Yes we are:). Heinz 57 Varieties here- German, Dutch, French, Irish and a little black going back to Charlemagne. Vive le difference! ;)

I found one outfit for genome testing for only $99 https://www.23andme.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Search-Alpha-Genetic&utm_term=mid233&utm_content=23c_Search_Paid_Generic&cvosrc=ppc.google.genetic%20testing&matchtype=e&network=g&mobile=&searchntwk=1&content=&creative=29982499345&keyword=genetic%20testing&adposition=1t1&gclid=CM_uhZKs67oCFUHhQgodNFIAhQ

one1
11-17-2013, 06:29 AM
when i was younger and more full of vinegar ,I would mark Human beign in the space were it asked for race.

merrylander
11-17-2013, 07:05 AM
If you do enough genealogical research I can guarantee that you will find ancestors you would rather not acknowledge. The big problem is that the governments really did not start keeping records before about 1700. So in my case it means that either I hire a researcher ($$$$) to check the Bishops Registers in Lincolnshire or go there myself. Now the Catholic church did a great job of keeping records and many have been transcribed so tracing Florence's ancestors back to Spain was easier. Hopefully yje Chorch of Latter Day Saits will get the records I need transcribed.

Transcribing these records is hard work, you have to deal with handwriting that is either terrible or so overly fancy as to be eqaully indecipherable. I did it for the LDS Church for a bit but failing eyesight ended that.

Still working with cousins that I have yet to meet face to face we have well over 10,000 names in our collective family tree. There are people with my surname all across this continent. All the ones in Canada and west of the Mississippi are family or cousins. The ones east of the river are mainly from Cheshire and do not appear to be related.

merrylander
11-17-2013, 07:08 AM
when i was younger and more full of vinegar ,I would mark Human beign in the space were it asked for race.

Makes me think of when I filled out forms back in my youth , where it said SEX I wrote Hell yes.:)

one1
11-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Makes me think of when I filled out forms back in my youth , where it said SEX I wrote Hell yes.:)

yes Sir ,I was going to mention that good one Rob.

Wasillaguy
11-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Yes we are:). Heinz 57 Varieties here- German, Dutch, French, Irish and a little black going back to Charlemagne.

We have a lot in common. My father's side is German and Dutch. My mom's side is French and Irish. Family rumors that there's some Native American mixed in as well. Wouldn't surprise me if there's some African in there too, though if there is, it didn't provide me with any rhythm or skin tone.
By the way, does anyone notice in their families that personality traits from the father tend to go to the first child, and those of the mother are more prevalent in the last child?
My eldest sibling is just like my Dad (and stereotypical of Germans)- very intelligent, very stubborn, and reserved (I guess that's the Dutch part).
I'm the youngest, and just like Mom- outgoing, love to joke and party, tend to take chances/gamble.

It's tough to be around my Dad's side. They are so severe it's hard to carry on a conversation. They answer a question in a word or two, and they're done.

Rajoo
11-17-2013, 11:57 AM

That's classic, no class of course. :D

Rajoo
11-17-2013, 12:03 PM
...you'll never know what will fall out.:rolleyes:

http://thegrio.com/2013/11/12/white-supremacist-finds-out-he-is-14-percent-black/

I would have expected this guy to get himself tested first before making a BIG noise. His eyes are probably brown. :D

merrylander
11-17-2013, 02:14 PM
That's classic, no class of course. :D

Well Rajoo except for women named Michael and men named Beverly it really is a useless question to put on forms.:)

merrylander
11-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Dad was born in Nottinghampshire Mom in Montreal but she did live in Oxfordshire with her parents when they went back for a period. But it was mainly Lincolnshire and Oxfordshire for both families.

However on Mom's side there was a surname of Auger and everyone pronounced like the tool for drilling hole, yet it may well have been of French origin

bobabode
11-17-2013, 03:15 PM
We have a lot in common. My father's side is German and Dutch. My mom's side is French and Irish. Family rumors that there's some Native American mixed in as well. Wouldn't surprise me if there's some African in there too, though if there is, it didn't provide me with any rhythm or skin tone.
By the way, does anyone notice in their families that personality traits from the father tend to go to the first child, and those of the mother are more prevalent in the last child?
My eldest sibling is just like my Dad (and stereotypical of Germans)- very intelligent, very stubborn, and reserved (I guess that's the Dutch part).
I'm the youngest, and just like Mom- outgoing, love to joke and party, tend to take chances/gamble.

It's tough to be around my Dad's side. They are so severe it's hard to carry on a conversation. They answer a question in a word or two, and they're done.

Middle kid here. #5 of 8 whatever that means. I've always tended to go my own way. Been told more than a few times that I'm a smartass that doesn't know when to STFU.:o I hear ya about those taciturn Germanic alpha males, they've got no verdampt sense of humor.:rolleyes:

piece-itpete
11-18-2013, 10:56 AM
That story is hilarious!

Pete

mpholland
11-18-2013, 08:33 PM
I'm 3rd of 5 siblings. I am more like my father than any of the others. German, English, Swiss and French here. I know my grandmothe moved here from Switzerland as a child and couldn't speak English. By the time I came around she had no accent and couldn't remember much German.

bobabode
11-18-2013, 09:05 PM
That story is hilarious!

Pete

I love it when bigots get their noses rubbed in it! :D If you're white from the old south? There's a good chance, you are part African.;)

Zeke
11-18-2013, 10:19 PM
Nobody is pure, anymore. I find that unconcerning but the percentage of humans who take issue with that astounds me.

merrylander
11-19-2013, 06:30 AM
I am the youngest of four, both brothers have passed on so there is just me and my older sister left.

piece-itpete
11-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Nobody is pure, anymore. ....

WHAT??! That's an outrage. I'm pure, a pure -

assh*le?

Wait that's probably not true. I have petted a dog instead of kicking it on occasion.

I'm a half breed :(

A half breed assh*le!! http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/forum/images/smilies/lmao.gif

Pete

MrPots
11-19-2013, 01:33 PM
I've not been able to track my mother side, which is all German. I've tracked my fathers side as far as 1740 York England.

No doubt my family is a product of the dark ages.

merrylander
11-20-2013, 07:04 AM
According to the anthropologists are we not all decendants of Lucy?

BlueStreak
11-20-2013, 09:12 AM
I don't know about you, but I am the descendant of a snake with an apple. And, trust me, Eve wasn't all that hard to lead astray.................

Bwahahaha!!!!!!

Dave

BlueStreak
11-20-2013, 09:21 AM

Ummmmmm.......No.

I am the last of seven, four male, three female.

I can't think of any that are "like Mom", save for my oldest brother and my quick temper. But, none of us have landed in the psycho ward or any of that, thank goodness. I guess there is just enough Dad in us to spare us all that nightmare.

Dave

piece-itpete
11-20-2013, 09:54 AM
According to the anthropologists are we not all decendants of Lucy?

http://www.posters.ws/images/847675/lucille_ball.jpg

or

http://www.medicallessons.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Doctor-is-In-Lucy-Peanuts.jpg

?

:)

Pete

barbara
11-20-2013, 09:56 AM
I'm a middle child... Three older siblings and three younger siblings.

merrylander
11-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Not that Lucy, this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_(Australopithecus)

piece-itpete
11-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Lucille Ball is cuter :D

Pete