PDA

View Full Version : Shoplifting declared okie dokie! WHoopie!!!

doucanoe
12-22-2009, 04:12 PM
According to this dude, stealing is ok.

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/79899497.html

But people, please... Lets restrict the activity to National chain stores. They are corporate evil.

RC

noonereal
12-22-2009, 05:25 PM

But people, please... Lets restrict the activity to National chain stores. They are corporate evil.

RC

I'm on boARD.

noonereal
12-22-2009, 05:30 PM
This is more interesting than my initial answer would indicate.

I would not steal for the simple reason that it is illegal. However, morally I would have no problem with it. Stealing from the middle class and poor is legal if you have a team of lawyers.

doucanoe
12-22-2009, 06:38 PM
I understand the many reasons why it happens.

Individuals engaging in illegal activities will eventually get caught and pay a price for it. My problem is with the individual condoning it.

RC

Boreas
12-22-2009, 08:04 PM

RC

I don't think the Rev. Jones' point wasn't that national chains were evil, just big and wouldn't feel the pinch as acutely.

No, I don't agree with him.

John

doucanoe
12-22-2009, 08:34 PM
I don't think the Rev. Jones' point wasn't that national chains were evil, just big and wouldn't feel the pinch as acutely.

No, I don't agree with him.

John

I don't think so either. "Evil", was just a slight embelishment ;)

Charles
12-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Don't have to steal, at least not yet.

Just knock on ten doors, tell people that you are desperate, need help, and you'll work.

Work to the best of your abilities, stay at it for a couple of weeks, and you'll be all right.

I have faith in the average Joe. People will help if they can, some can help a great deal. It makes them feel good. As long as you're honest and willing, you can at least work your way out of the gutter.

But you have to help yourself first.

Chas

Fast_Eddie
12-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Jean Valjean

Charles
12-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Jean Valjean

Les Miserables????

In America, at least, there's a public tit hanging everywhere you look.

Case in point: Some of my wife's relatives were on relief a few years back. Not so sure as the amount of assistance they received, but they didn't lack for necessities, and they got so damn much free food they couldn't eat it all.

We were the last in line. They took what the wanted, gave the rest to my wife's folks, who had an app 1 mill net worth, which ain't chump change in Missouri. Along with two retirement checks. And damn good insurance, via Union Electric.

We got what was left. We picked through it, pretty good gruel, and I took what we didn't want to my buddy's shop.

Now there were at least two bonafide millionaires who hung out there. You should have seen them when I showed up with a bunch of Ben & Jerry's ice cream. They went nuts, said they'd never ever seen Ben & Jerry's ice cream before.

Millionaires on welfare...and I won't talk about the subsidies the get for owning farms. Now they know something about sucking a public tit.

Another time I came home and some renters across the street starting call "Mister, Mister". They had just come from the food bank, and had more food than they could deal with. Gave me app 40 lbs of ham and 100 lbs of potatoes. I gave it to my crew.

Like my mentor told me back in the 80's. "The only way you can starve to death in America is if you have pride."

They're plenty of help out there, and people on the payroll to see that you get it. No doubt that some fall through the cracks, but the help is still there.

Don't want to come across as hard hearted, and I'm not. Just saying you don't have to steal a load of bread any longer.

Chas

BlueStreak
12-23-2009, 12:01 AM
Government cheese is awesome. When my old man became an official senior citizen and retired, he made the trip into the city, (about 25 miles), to get his government cheese every month. Or was it every week? I forget. Despite the fact that he was getting his union pension and social security, he somehow qualified for the cheese. Anyhoo, that cheese was friggin' delicious. Kinda like Velveeta, only better, and sometimes it would even have bacon-bits in it! So for you wing-nuts who keep saying the government doesn't do anything right--WRONG! Eat the cheese and stand corrected!:D

I asked him once why he bothered with the cheese. He said, "The shits delicious. And besides, I busted my butt for a half a century. I'm collecting my damn cheese.";)

Dave

doucanoe
12-23-2009, 06:43 AM
In my college days, we figured out that we qualified for the Government cheese deal. One Saturday, all 5 of us headed down to the place where they were doling out the cheese. Each had to fill out a one page, 2-sided doc. stating who we were and are particulars. After that, we received our stuff.

We each came home with 2 giant loafs of cheese, 2 boxes of powdered milk and 2 large containers of corn meal. All I wanted was 1 cheese but they boxed everything before I could refuse everything else.

Back at the house, the cheese lasted for what seemed like forever even though a lot of it went to friends. It came into the house in the fall and there was still some floating around late into the following summer.

Not bad stuff! A pretty tasty and much appreciated treat for broke ass college students accustomed to living on box mac'n cheese, rice and a steady diet of all things venison.

RC

noonereal
12-23-2009, 06:48 AM
and the reason you got free cheese was not because you were hungry but because the farmer had political CLOUT AND LEANED ON THIS REPRESENTATIVES to create a false market for his product.

doucanoe
12-23-2009, 07:14 AM
Hey! Just like ethanol!

RC

piece-itpete
12-23-2009, 07:21 AM
I asked him once why he bothered with the cheese. He said, "The shits delicious. And besides, I busted my butt for a half a century. I'm collecting my damn cheese.";)

Government cheese: $0.00. Your dad's comments: Priceless! :D

I think the cheese IS velveeta.

Jean Valjean knew stealing was wrong, and most of the theft at shopping centers around here is by crackheads. They used to steal for returns, but now that's hard so they steal to order.

It should be every red-blooded Americans' god-given right to have a pair of designer jeans!

Pete

merrylander
12-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Wrong, wrong, wrong. Even if you accpt the priest's thinking, the store manager gets hit with the results of the shoplifting. The big national chain did not get big by ignoring shoplifting. What sort of an education are you giving your children if you shoplift.

Yeah, if you are a big corporation you can effectively steal by selling someone a bad product and refusing to stand behind it, but eventually you get yours.

noonereal
12-23-2009, 07:57 AM
Yeah, if you are a big corporation you can effectively steal by selling someone a bad product and refusing to stand behind it, but eventually you get yours.

There are so many examples of big corps ripping off the average Joe I would not even start to list them. It is no wonder that the culture in the inner cities is "us against them."

BlueStreak
12-23-2009, 10:43 AM
There are so many examples of big corps ripping off the average Joe I would not even start to list them. It is no wonder that the culture in the inner cities is "us against them."

But that's okay. As long as they are ripping me off to protect their bottom line and make themselves a wealthy as possible, I'm all for it. It's the "Great American" way!

Geez, when are you going to learn, Nooner?:confused:

Dave

doucanoe
12-23-2009, 12:30 PM
I think the cheese IS velveeta.

Our Government cheese was like a cross between Cheddar and American. Maybe thats because we were in the heart of cheeseland.

RC

piece-itpete
12-23-2009, 12:39 PM
It's been a long time :)

Looking for this I found a band named Government Cheese. Whoa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_cheese

Pete

doucanoe
12-23-2009, 01:07 PM
It's been a long time :)

Looking for this I found a band named Government Cheese. Whoa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_cheese

Pete

I've heard of them but not heard them. Like topping for a hamburger, I wonder if they just do cover songs.

Ba dump dum, crash! Bad rim shot for an even worse joke :rolleyes:

RC

Grumpy
12-23-2009, 01:53 PM
I would not steal for the simple reason that it is illegal. However, morally I would have no problem with it. Stealing from the middle class is legal if you are a democrat politician.

Fixed that for ya :)