PDA

View Full Version : MLK Day

bobabode
01-20-2014, 07:25 PM
A day for reflection and hope. The dream goes on.

barbara
01-20-2014, 07:30 PM
Yes...
Thank you for reminding us.

bobabode
01-20-2014, 07:31 PM
I think I'll spin some Motown & Band Of Gypsies in his honor.;)

bobabode
01-20-2014, 09:50 PM
Something for the tea sippers and neo cons.
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-mlk-day-freedom-conservatives-libertarians-20140120,0,1125149.story#axzz2r08yiHGF

piece-itpete
01-21-2014, 09:33 AM
I saw this on PBS yesterday. He is a great speaker and has a striking way with words.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/20/found-martin-luther-king-jr-speech/4663937/

Pete

BlueStreak
01-21-2014, 11:41 AM
The rednecks at work were all wishing each other a "Happy James Earl Ray Day" on Friday. They're all staunch Republicans too, just ask them. But, no, there is no racism to be found in that. Just keep moving along folks, no bigotry to be seen here.:rolleyes:

Just to keep things fair and balanced;

Yesterday, I watched a special on the history of a (former) town in North Carolina called Hayti, that is now a district of Durham. From back in the days when the hateful bigots in America were predominantly Democrats. You know, prior to Nixons "Southern Strategy" and their exodus to the GOP. Look it up yourself, I'm tired of educating you.:p

Dave

piece-itpete
01-21-2014, 12:03 PM
I hate that James Earl Ray crap. For the record, I've heard it from plenty of union types. They are dying off though.

Pete

BlueStreak
01-21-2014, 12:05 PM
And becoming Republicans. The "nigger" in the Whitehouse is the reason they lost their jobs. Just ask them, they'll tell you all about it.

Dave

piece-itpete
01-21-2014, 12:09 PM
These the same guys that organize door to door in key areas in NE Ohio every election, for the left? Can you hear the conversation re: Hillary, Barack, and the GOP?

Pete

bobabode
01-21-2014, 06:59 PM
...and the rightwing echo chamber at Faux News is losing their shit once again over the President's remarks about race yesterday. Who the hell do they think they're kidding? The truth hurts, I guess.

Hell, even out here in the supposed land of enlightened hippiedom, I run into dyed in wool white racists all the time. If it ain't blacks, it's the latino menace from south of the border or the "ornamentals" taking the good white folks slots in the U.C. system. :rolleyes:

If there's one disadvantage to being a white boy? It's these pieces of white excrement spewing their sick hatred at me, as if I agree with them.:( I guarantee that they don't make that mistake twice. :mad:

Tom Joad
01-22-2014, 09:58 AM
I hate that James Earl Ray crap. For the record, I've heard it from plenty of union types. They are dying off though.

Pete

I have more respect for those overt racists than I do for these phonys on the right that try to claim Martin Luther King and Fredrick Douglas as their own when everybody knows they would have hated them when they were alive.

piece-itpete
01-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Wasn't MLK a card carrying Republican and NRA member?

Pete

Tom Joad
01-22-2014, 10:24 AM
Wasn't MLK a card carrying Republican and NRA member?

Pete

Sure.

I was a Republican back in the day too.

Republicans were the good guys.

Then along came the Southern Strategy and they lured all the racist George Wallace Democrats over to their side. That was the equivalent of giving themselves a massive dose of carcinogens IV. Now those batshit crazies own the place.

piece-itpete
01-22-2014, 10:28 AM
The left would NEVER play the race card. Interesting that the Shrub had a more racially diverse cabinet than Clinton.

From what I can see the GOP is currently making a big push into inner cities. Maybe the left won't be able to take them for granted anymore.

Pete

Tom Joad
01-22-2014, 10:40 AM
The left would NEVER play the race card. Interesting that the Shrub had a more racially diverse cabinet than Clinton.

When you put a black person at the top of your Presidential Ticket, get back to me. Until then you have no credibility on this issue.

piece-itpete
01-22-2014, 10:41 AM
Then the left has no standing with Hispanics?

Pete

finnbow
01-22-2014, 10:43 AM

Pete

Pete, you know full well that the GOP has electoral issues with blacks and Hispanics and that there's a good reason for it. Cute wordplay won't change that a bit.:cool:

Tom Joad
01-22-2014, 10:45 AM
Pete, you know full well that the GOP has electoral issues with blacks and Hispanics and that there's a good reason for it. Cute wordplay won't change that a bit.:cool:

It's not the GOP's fault.

We buy them with free stuff.

finnbow
01-22-2014, 10:49 AM
It's not the GOP's fault.

We buy them with free stuff.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic (I assume so), but there is at least a shred of truth to this assertion. Most people, rich or poor, tend to vote their pocketbook and you can't give huge tax breaks to those who pay little or no income taxes (as you can with the rich and connected).

piece-itpete
01-22-2014, 10:52 AM

It was a direct response and perfectly valid. And as yet unanswered.

But yes, there are issues. Down on a more local level they are being worked on. Kasich recently worked with the city black community and leadership in Ohio to get school reform passed over the strenuous opposition of a key Dem demographic. Does that mean the inner city folks are going to desert the Dems en masse? No. But how great a percentage do we need? And you have to admit it gives that community more leverage regardless, it's a win-win for them. And possibly us :)

Pete

Tom Joad
01-22-2014, 10:56 AM

Pete

Speaking of Hispanics, another thing I've noticed is that everytime the GOP gets themselves a great Hispanic hope it's always a pasty white one like Ted Cruz, or Marco Rubio.

Christ these guys are whiter than I am and I'm Polish/Dutch.

Tom Joad
01-22-2014, 11:11 AM
I don't know if you're being sarcastic (I assume so), but there is at least a shred of truth to this assertion. Most people, rich or poor, tend to vote their pocketbook and you can't give huge tax breaks to those who pay little or no income taxes (as you can with the rich and connected).

I'd agree that most, not all, tend to vote what they think is in their best economic interest.

However if they voted for what really is in their best interest economically, the GOP would get at best 10% of the vote.

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz359/Dog_of_the_Earth/voting-republican-1.jpg (http://s843.photobucket.com/user/Dog_of_the_Earth/media/voting-republican-1.jpg.html)

finnbow
01-22-2014, 11:17 AM
I'd agree that most, not all, tend to vote what they think is in their best economic interest.

However if they voted for what really is in their best interest economically, the GOP would get at best 10% of the vote.

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz359/Dog_of_the_Earth/voting-republican-1.jpg (http://s843.photobucket.com/user/Dog_of_the_Earth/media/voting-republican-1.jpg.html)

True dat. That picture could have come from a Joe Bageant book cover.

piece-itpete
01-22-2014, 11:24 AM
1/2 green, purple, I don't care. I'm a pasty white person, mostly English/Irish with a Czech last name, a little Polish and a bit of German, I've been told. The English and Irish blood keeps fighting itself and the German blood won't leave the Polish blood alone :D No one cares about the Czech :eek:

On nice thing in Cleveland, we have a lot of ethnic food. Stop on up sometime.

The government controlling my income would be against my economic self interest I would argue.

Pete

Tom Joad
01-22-2014, 11:38 AM
The government controlling my income would be against my economic self interest I would argue.

Pete

I don't want some cabal of multi-national corporations controlling my income by way of some bought and paid for dickhead like your boy Paul Ryan.

piece-itpete
01-22-2014, 11:43 AM
I'm not sure he's my boy. You never know what you get till they get in. I see derivatives aren't regulated.

I'd like to see Condi run against Hillary, I suspect it would be quite a fight, they both strike me as wolves :)

Pete

Tom Joad
01-22-2014, 12:06 PM
I'd like to see Condi run against Hillary, I suspect it would be quite a fight, they both strike me as wolves :)

Pete

Oh Gawd, here we go again,

I've been listening to you Republicans talk this trash since the 90's.

"We're gonna run Colin Powell"

"We're Gonna run Herman Cain"

"We're gonna run Condi Rice"

You ain't gonna do shit.

I'll tell you what Pete.

If you Republicans will put any black candidate at the top of the ticket I will pledge to never, ever, as long as I live, imply in any way that the Republican Party is racist.

You mentioned radiating confidence in another post, well I'm radiatin like a son of a bitch right now because I know there is no way in Hell the Republicans are going to nominate a black for President. No way in Hell.

Tom Joad
01-22-2014, 12:18 PM
1/2 green, purple, I don't care. I'm a pasty white person, mostly English/Irish with a Czech last name, a little Polish and a bit of German, I've been told. The English and Irish blood keeps fighting itself and the German blood won't leave the Polish blood alone :D No one cares about the Czech :eek:

Are you sure you're not 1/32nd Cherokee too?

Might as well throw that in, just about every white person I know does.

piece-itpete
01-22-2014, 12:20 PM
I wish you'd radiate up here, it's freakin cold! :o

Powell wasn't strong enough, Cain didn't have the experience, and sadly Rice is probably too close to Bush Jr even now. Agreed outside of her there doesn't seem to be any '16 potentials in the GOP.

I seem to remember Obama being a surprise. At least to the would be Pres in waiting. Who's the Dems minority potential candidate?

Pete

finnbow
01-22-2014, 12:24 PM

Powell wasn't strong enough, Cain didn't have the experience, and sadly Rice is probably too close to Bush Jr even now. Agreed outside of her there doesn't seem to be any '16 potentials in the GOP.

I seem to remember Obama being a surprise. At least to the would be Pres in waiting. Who's the Dems minority potential candidate?

Pete

While I understand the appeal of Condi, she was singularly ineffective representing her viewpoint among the likes of Rumsfeld and Cheney.

piece-itpete
01-22-2014, 12:25 PM
Are you sure you're not 1/32nd Cherokee too?

Might as well throw that in, just about every white person I know does.

LOL! As far as I know I'm strictly a colonial aggressionist :)

The German/Polish thing is in some dispute. Apparently the border fluctuated so much for a while you could be Polish but with a German birth certificate and vice versa, and many communities had both, or so I've been told.

Pete

bobabode
01-22-2014, 01:45 PM

Pete

Powell nailed his dick to the floor of the U.N. council chamber during the run up to Iraq, Pete.

Herman 'Uzbeckibeckistanstan' Cain lacked a lot more than experience despite his Godfather pizza biz acumen.

Condi Rice was simply a bit of fawning window dressing for the Shrub even with her Stanford U presidency she's a has been.

piece-itpete
01-22-2014, 02:01 PM
A Sec of State as window dressing?

Pete

bobabode
01-22-2014, 02:10 PM
A Sec of State as window dressing?

Pete

Can you articulate any accomplishments of Condi? Either as NSA advisor or as SOS?
As Finn pointed out she was subsumed by Rummy (a smarmy barking idiot corporate raider) and Darth Cheney. :rolleyes:

piece-itpete
01-22-2014, 02:23 PM
The only thing that stands out in those positions is failure.

She was not the Pres. Does anyone really think she'd be run over by anyone if she was?

Pete

finnbow
01-22-2014, 02:25 PM
Can you articulate any accomplishments of Condi? Either as NSA advisor or as SOS?
As Finn pointed out she was subsumed by Rummy (a smarmy barking idiot corporate raider) and Darth Cheney. :rolleyes:

As fine and accomplished a person as Condi is, she was undistinguished as a Secretary of State and National Security Advisor. I think Hillary would be far harder to push around than Condi, FWIW.

piece-itpete
01-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Sounds like a potential cage match Finn :D

http://cdn.frontpagemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/hillary.jpg

VS

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.140234.1313988053!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/alg-condi-rice-jpg.jpg

Yikes.

Pete

finnbow
01-22-2014, 03:56 PM
Sounds like a potential cage match Finn :D

Yikes.

Pete

It could prove interesting. I'm not sure Condi is ready for the rough and tumble of the GOP primaries, much less a cage match with Hillary.

piece-itpete
01-22-2014, 04:06 PM
Agreed, I'm not sure either on both counts. I am willing to find out :)

It's entirely possible she wants nothing to do with the whole mess anyway. I don't have the hubris or drive or whatever it takes to go through what they do.

Pete

finnbow
01-22-2014, 04:09 PM
Agreed, I'm not sure either on both counts. I am willing to find out :)

It's entirely possible she wants nothing to do with the whole mess anyway. I don't have the hubris or drive or whatever it takes to go through what they do.

Pete

I'd much prefer the job and location at Stanford to working in the serpent's den of DC.

Tom Joad
01-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Who's the Dems minority potential candidate?

Pete

We don't need one.

We've already punched that ticket.

bobabode
01-22-2014, 04:28 PM
We don't need one.

We've already punched that ticket.

The next minority ticket is a woman ;). There's a set of twins from that purple state of Texas that will be a force to be reckoned with down the road.

Tom Joad
01-22-2014, 04:41 PM
Powell nailed his dick to the floor of the U.N. council chamber during the run up to Iraq, Pete.

That was really awful.

I'll never forgive Powell, who is a smart man and knew exactly what he was doing, for prostituting himself like that and embarrassing not only himself, but the entire United States of America before the rest of the world by making that lamer than the lamest late night infomercial of a presentation.

Tom Joad
01-22-2014, 04:47 PM
The next minority ticket is a woman ;).

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz359/Dog_of_the_Earth/tumblr_m9en10uqX41qit8aco3_500.gif (http://s843.photobucket.com/user/Dog_of_the_Earth/media/tumblr_m9en10uqX41qit8aco3_500.gif.html)

The next minority ticket is a woman ;). There's a set of twins from that purple state of Texas that will be a force to be reckoned with down the road.

Castro for President!

God I love it!

d-ray657
01-22-2014, 05:59 PM
Can't you imagine the whisper campaign from the GOP noise machine - "Castro = communist." And there are plenty out there who would be ready to gobble that up. Then again, those who would pay attention to that probably wouldn't be in the Dem camp anyway.

Regards.

D-Ray

piece-itpete
01-23-2014, 08:40 AM
Castro, Hussein, etc :D

Women are the majority ;)

Pete

Tom Joad
01-23-2014, 09:02 AM
Castro, Hussein, etc :D

Pete

Whatever Dude.

Whoever you put up in 2016 is toast.

:D

Women are the majority ;)

Pete

Yeah, and you have Todd Akin on your side.

:D