PDA

View Full Version : Another enlightened Republican speaks about women ...

finnbow
01-22-2014, 08:44 PM
"The wife is to voluntarily submit, just as the husband is to lovingly lead and sacrifice," he writes, citing the Bible. "The husband’s part is to show up during the times of deep stress, take the leadership role and be accountable for the outcome, blaming no one else. The wife’s submission is not a matter of superior versus inferior; rather, it is self-imposed as a matter of obedience to the Lord and of love for her husband..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/01/22/gop-congressmans-book-the-wife-is-to-voluntarily-submit-to-her-husband/

And these clowns wonder why women are being driven to the Democrats?

Oerets
01-22-2014, 09:18 PM
Wanted a equal partner for a wife not a servant myself. He probably has a hard time relating with intelligent well adjusted women.

Barney

icenine
01-22-2014, 09:30 PM
I respect combat veterans, and I especially respect pilots who put their lives at risk. But when he said the comment about everyone's role in the chain of command I knew he was a retired officer who thinks the world revolves around him still. An enlisted guy would never say that unless they were an uptight Sgt Major or something;)

barbara
01-22-2014, 09:37 PM
$&@#% $&#%* stupid, chauvinist %#@ !!!!

...and that's all I've got to say about men like that ;).

bobabode
01-22-2014, 10:25 PM

Agreed. What an asshole.:mad:

BlueStreak
01-22-2014, 10:47 PM
I respect combat veterans, and I especially respect pilots who put their lives at risk. But when he said the comment about everyone's role in the chain of command I knew he was a retired officer who thinks the world revolves around him still. An enlisted guy would never say that unless they were an uptight Sgt Major or something;)

I would say retired officers and retired chiefs. We have a lot of those around here and believe me, they are still very much in charge of...............nothing.

Dave

merrylander
01-23-2014, 06:34 AM

The sad part iis that there are so many like him. At our wedding I told the pastor that I did not want to hear the word obey. There is an old Jewish saying;

"God did not take woman from man's forehead that he should command her,
Neither from his foot that she should be his slave,
Rather from his side that she should be close to his heart."

Works for me.

So he claims that the Lord said? Normally when you start hearing voices they lock you up.

barbara
01-23-2014, 06:51 AM
The sad part iis that there are so many like him. At our wedding I told the pastor that I did not want to hear the word obey. There is an old Jewish saying;

"God did not take woman from man's forehead that he should command her,

Neither from his foot that she should be his slave,

Rather from his side that she should be close to his heart."

Works for me.

So he claims that the Lord said? Normally when you start hearing voices they lock you up.

Agreed.

piece-itpete
01-23-2014, 08:35 AM
Where in this is it chauvinistic? Be specific. He repeatedly says it does not make the female inferior, or a servant, or a slave.

It does match what is said in the Bible. Men and women have different roles.

Pete

icenine
01-23-2014, 09:29 AM
Pete 40% of American households are headed by women (if I am wrong correct me).
How does it sound to them?

piece-itpete
01-23-2014, 09:43 AM
It would be different, but nobody's forcing anything.

Pete

BlueStreak
01-23-2014, 10:05 AM
It would be different, but nobody's forcing anything.

Pete

Yet.

Besides, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that with some issues, direct force is not necessary, no legislation need be passed. All it takes is acceptance and endorsement of abhorrent behavior to legitimize it.

I've posted this article to Facebook for all the females in my life to peruse. I'll post their responses for you to examine.

Also; In my opinion, just because it comes from a so-called "Holy Book" doesn't mean it isn't garbage. But, that's just me. I'm not big on mindless sanctimony.

Dave

piece-itpete
01-23-2014, 10:15 AM
Thanks, I look forward to it. I just don't get the 'abhorrent' aspect.

Pete

BlueStreak
01-23-2014, 10:16 AM
Right. The wife is to "voluntarily submit",Biblethumoing rightwinger show us just how full of cra he is. but this doesn't mean she's inferior in any way......

Typical Republican doublespeak.

In order for there to be a submissive wife the husband assumes dominance. How else?

Either he's stupid or he thinks we are.

Dave

BlueStreak
01-23-2014, 10:18 AM
Thanks, I look forward to it. I just don't get the 'abhorrent' aspect.

Pete

I noticed that.

Did you see Barbaras restrained response?;)

More to come, but it might not be nearly as polite.

Dave

merrylander
01-23-2014, 10:27 AM
Where in this is it chauvinistic? Be specific. He repeatedly says it does not make the female inferior, or a servant, or a slave.

Pete

Not in the New Testament. In any case the Bible was written by men and considering how they blamed all our troubles on poor Eve, they were all male chauvinists.

How in man worth his salt can tell a woman that he loves her and in the next breath tells her she must submit to him I would not call a man. An arrogant worthless asshole maybe but not a man. That kind of hypocricy just does not fly with me (And I would love to see some guy try that on Florence the result would not be pretty). Her first husband discovered that as he was picking his clothes out of the snow,:)

Different roles? Marriage is not some damn play with actors. When I gave Florence my love it was unconditional as was hers to me. No wonder the country is in such poor effing state.

piece-itpete
01-23-2014, 10:57 AM
To each their own, I know Debbie looks to me for certain things and I to her. I didn't tell her she had to be that way. Man was made from dirt, woman, flesh. And sometimes, it's impossible to have a democracy with only 2 votes.

This is the text, King James, Ephesians 5:

22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. 24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; 26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, 27That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. 28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. 29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: 30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. 31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. 32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. 33Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

Pete

Tom Joad
01-23-2014, 11:12 AM
To each their own, I know Debbie looks to me for certain things and I to her. I didn't tell her she had to be that way. Man was made from dirt, woman, flesh. And sometimes, it's impossible to have a democracy with only 2 votes.

22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. 24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; 26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, 27That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. 28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. 29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: 30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. 31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. 32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. 33Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

Pete

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz359/Dog_of_the_Earth/hillary2016.jpg (http://s843.photobucket.com/user/Dog_of_the_Earth/media/hillary2016.jpg.html)

BlueStreak
01-23-2014, 11:20 AM
First one is from my sister;

""The wife is to voluntarily submit......."? "...is to..." is a command. How do you command someone to volunteer? This makes no sense.""

Dave

merrylander
01-23-2014, 11:38 AM

Pete

Well Paul had a perfect right to his own opinion but does he not contardict himself in the bolded red text/ How can one body submit itself to itself.

Oh and by the way Paul is not the Lord.

piece-itpete
01-23-2014, 11:59 AM
To each their own :) It does say immediately after that it is a great mystery.

Dave, it's God doing the commanding. The wife is to volunteer to the husband IF she wishes to do Gods bidding.

Pete

Tom Joad
01-23-2014, 12:02 PM

Dave, it's God doing the commanding. The wife is to volunteer to the husband IF she wishes to do Gods bidding.

Pete

You actually buy this bullshit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=153NzPmD-2k

finnbow
01-23-2014, 12:05 PM

Pete

God didn't write the Bible, Pete. I would like to believe you knew this.

CarlV
01-23-2014, 12:22 PM

Pete

I always thought any bible was an interpretation. I do know if I were a woman that would make me an atheist immediately if not sooner and that's for sure.

Carl

merrylander
01-23-2014, 12:23 PM

Dave, it's Paul doing the commanding. The wife is to volunteer to the husband IF she wishes to do Paul's bidding.

Pete

Fixed it for you. And as Dave's sister wrote how exactly does one command someone to volunteer. Enquiring minds want to know.

Aside I just told Florence about this thread and she is still laughing.

piece-itpete
01-23-2014, 12:40 PM

Well typewriters weren't invented yet! Think he had a secretary? :D

One can choose to believe in one God, many, none. The God of the Bible exists or he doesn't. The Bible is an accurate representation of his will or it isn't. If there is no divine revelation who's to know?

So I'll edit my response to Dave:

Dave, the Bible says it's God doing the commanding. The wife is to volunteer to the husband IF she wishes to do Gods bidding.

Better? :o

Pete

merrylander
01-23-2014, 01:03 PM
If we were to read I Corinthians 13 we would find that Paul suggested a different concept of love than what he told the Ephesians. Oh BTW later translations had a more accurate translation of the Greek Agape. Those clever Greeks had four words for love. Phileo or brotherly love, storge or affectionate love such as a father to his children. Eros, a purely physical love and where the word erotica was derived. Agape is a self effacing or unconditional love, sometime called a charitable love, probably wher King James translators came up with 'charity' but it is conceeded today that Faith , Hope and Love is the more accurate translation.

BlueStreak
01-23-2014, 02:14 PM

Pete

You actually buy this bullshit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=153NzPmD-2k

I always thought any bible was an interpretation. I do know if I were a woman that would make me an atheist immediately if not sooner and that's for sure.

Carl

Fixed it for you. And as Dave's sister wrote how exactly does one command someone to volunteer. Enquiring minds want to know.

Aside I just told Florence about this thread and she is still laughing.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who sees and considers the HUMAN influence present in "Gods word". :rolleyes:

Rajoo
01-23-2014, 02:17 PM
"The wife is to voluntarily submit, just as the husband is to lovingly lead and sacrifice,"

This is a right wing strategy to prevent their women from voting for Hillary. :D

Tom Joad
01-23-2014, 02:20 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one who sees and considers the HUMAN influence present in "Gods word". :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K5PGWZ0DWI

piece-itpete
01-23-2014, 02:21 PM
"The wife is to voluntarily submit, just as the husband is to lovingly lead and sacrifice,"

This is a right wing strategy to prevent their women from voting for Hillary. :D

LOL!

Pete

BlueStreak
01-23-2014, 02:23 PM

No chit!

Two statements that have stuck in my head from years gone by;

"My Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, says I should always give my employer 110%, without question, all the time, no matter what."

"I always vote Republican because of my Christian beliefs. If you don't understand that, I suggest you watch Huckabee. He explains it best."

Dave

merrylander
01-23-2014, 02:28 PM
No chit!

Two statements that have stuck in my head from years gone by;

"My Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, says I should always give my employer 110%, without question, all the time, no matter what."

"I always vote Republican because of my Christian beliefs. If you don't understand that, I suggest you watch Huckabee. He explains it best."

Dave

I know what would happen if I were to watch that sanctimonious twit right after dinner.

Tom Joad
01-23-2014, 02:34 PM
Well typewriters weren't invented yet! Think he had a secretary? :D

One can choose to believe in one God, many, none. The God of the Bible exists or he doesn't. The Bible is an accurate representation of his will or it isn't. If there is no divine revelation who's to know?

So I'll edit my response to Dave:

Dave, the Bible says it's God doing the commanding. The wife is to volunteer to the husband IF she wishes to do Gods bidding.

Better? :o

Pete

Just keep on alienating those women voters Pete.

:D

BlueStreak
01-23-2014, 02:40 PM
I know what would happen if I were to watch that sanctimonious twit right after dinner.

Maybe the Good Pastor and Ted Nugent can play "Cat Scratch Fever" for you.............

"Well, I don't know where they come from but they sure do come
I hope they comin' for me
And I don't know how they do it but they sure do it good
I hope they're doin' it for free

They give me cat scratch fever
Cat scratch fever

Well, the first time that I got it I was just ten years old
I got it from some kitty next door
An' I went to see the doctor and he gave me the cure
I think I got it some more

They give me cat scratch fever
Cat scratch fever
I got a bad scratch fever
The cat scratch fever

It's nothin' dangerous
I feel no pain
I've got the choo-choo train
You know you got it when you, you're going insane
It makes a grown man cry, cry, oh won't you make my bed

Well, I make the pussy purr with the stroke of my hand
They know they gettin' it from me
They know just where to go when they need their lovin' man
They know I'm doin' it for free

I give them cat scratch fever Cat scratch fever
They got a bad scratch fever
The cat scratch fever

Cat scratch fever
Cat scratch fever
Cat scratch fever
Cat scratch fever

Cat scratch fever
Cat scratch fever"

:rolleyes:

Dave

piece-itpete
01-23-2014, 02:47 PM
Just keep on alienating those women voters Pete.

Funny though, if you take 'submit' out I doubt anyone would have a problem. I mean us guys aren't up in arms over having to sacrifice ourselves ;)

Pete

Zeke
01-23-2014, 02:55 PM
The wife is to volunteer to the husband IF she wishes to do Gods bidding.

So, in this metaphor, you're the wife's God?

Fuck that noise.

I wouldn't want a wife like that. :rolleyes:

BlueStreak
01-23-2014, 03:06 PM
Another comment;

"This guy is a piece of work. And all I have to say is it would never happen in my relationship. A guy who wants me to submit better sleep in a ball cover made of iron."

Dave

BlueStreak
01-23-2014, 03:07 PM
So, in this metaphor, you're the wife's God?

Fuck that noise.

I wouldn't want a wife like that. :rolleyes:

So, I take it you're not moving to Stepford?

Dave

Zeke
01-23-2014, 03:23 PM
So, I take it you're not moving to Stepford?

Dave

Part of a wife's responsibility, to me, is to kick me in the head when required.

They don't do that in Stepford. :D

BlueStreak
01-23-2014, 03:26 PM
No, but they keep a nice house, bake great cookies and address all of your kinkiest "needs". All without a whisper of complaint. Which is how Jesus wants us to have it, apparently...........:p:rolleyes:

MrPots
01-23-2014, 03:26 PM

Pete

This is as my missus sees it, but it is her choice. I don't lord over her or ask submission from her, in fact I take great pains to ensure that she has the freedom and ability to do as she wishes. But as you mentioned, democracy is hard with only two votes. Generally if there is a disagreement and she cannot persuade me otherwise she will accept my word as final. But she has always respected my intelligence and judgment and knows I would never steer her wrong or do anything to damage our relationship.

FWIW...she's the biblethumper in our relationship, not I.

BlueStreak
01-23-2014, 03:38 PM
Here's a fun tip for you guys;

Go to Google.

Type in "Stepford Wife Syndrome".

Click on "Images"

In the first few rows of the first page, you will find pictures of Sarah Palin, Ann Romney and Laura Bush.

Don't believe me? Give it a whirl.

Dave

BlueStreak
01-23-2014, 03:42 PM
Oh, and a little further down; Newts Old Lady.

Dave

Tom Joad
01-23-2014, 03:49 PM
No, but they keep a nice house, bake great cookies and address all of your kinkiest "needs". All without a whisper of complaint. Which is how Jesus wants us to have it, apparently...........:p:rolleyes:

Wait a minute!

Tell me more about these "kinkiest needs".

Maybe there's something to this submissive stuff.

MrPots
01-23-2014, 03:56 PM
Oh..and there is the insistence on being spanked for bad behavior.....

Rajoo
01-23-2014, 07:16 PM
From voice of God, Pastor Huckabee.

"If the Democrats want to insult women by making them believe that they are helpless without Uncle Sugar coming in and providing for them a prescription each month for birth control because they cannot control their libido or their reproductive system without the help of the government, then so be it,".

bobabode
01-23-2014, 07:25 PM
I guess none of these leading lights in the Republican party have read the Reince Priebus manifesto..."Keep thy light under a bushel basket or be cast down with the democrats & sodomites." :rolleyes:

barbara
01-23-2014, 09:11 PM
from voice of god, pastor huckabee.

"if the democrats want to insult women by making them believe that they are helpless without uncle sugar coming in and providing for them a prescription each month for birth control because they cannot control their libido or their reproductive system without the help of the government, then so be it,".

omg!!!

donquixote99
01-23-2014, 11:10 PM

Pete

'You are not inferior. You're just supposed to do as I say.'

Sorry, wanting to make this argument is chauvinistic, to the core.

Rex E.
01-23-2014, 11:41 PM
Aren't the first four books (gospels) of the New Testament the only books in the bible that deal with Christs teachings? Aren't all the others just bullshit if you're a Christian?

BlueStreak
01-23-2014, 11:52 PM
Aren't the first four books (gospels) of the New Testament the only books in the bible that deal with Christs teachings? Aren't all the others just bullshit if you're a Christian?

I don't know about that, but I do remember Bible School and one of the lessons was that the Old Testament represents what the world was before Christ and the New Testamant represents the life of Christ, his teachings, and onward from there.

So, when someone quotes Old Testament scripture and presents it as a "Christian Value"...................

Dave

merrylander
01-24-2014, 06:26 AM

Exactly and if you recall Paul (or Saul of Tarsus) started out persecuting Christians until he got zapped on the Road to Damascus. So he had never seen Jesus at first hand. He had his opinions but that is all they were. just as I have my opinions but I most certainly do not pretend nor presume that they are holy writ. It may well be that he had never seen the writings of the four desciples as the printing press was still a few centuries down the road.

In fact some believe Paul's first letters were written before the four gospels,

piece-itpete
01-24-2014, 10:46 AM
Don my relationship is similar.

Part of a wife's responsibility, to me, is to kick me in the head when required.

They don't do that in Stepford. :D

That is awesome. That too is part of my relationship :)

To each their own. If the first 4 books are correct then one should give a LOT of respect to the balance, as they were hand picked disciples and not only lived with him, but had many private teachings. They were the first to receive Jesus's parting gift as well. That's what the Bible says anyway ;)

Pete

merrylander
01-24-2014, 11:26 AM

To each their own. If the first 4 books are correct then one should give a LOT of respect to the balance, as they were hand picked disciples and not only lived with him, but had many private teachings. They were the first to receive Jesus's parting gift as well. That's what the Bible says anyway ;)

Pete

See post #53

Rex E.
01-25-2014, 01:02 AM

Pete

The point was that those are the only ones that deal with the actual teaching of Christ. That is all one needs if a Chirstian. The stuff before is of no matter right along with the stuff that comes after.

I don't need all the trapping and magic to keep me interested in the story ;)