PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Gun Law VS Sgt Major

icenine
02-03-2014, 03:22 PM
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-canada-border-guns-20140203,0,4094271.story#axzz2sIQFe28Z

if he was an E-6 I would feel sorry for him maybe

CarlV
02-03-2014, 03:33 PM
But he was driving his wife's car, and had forgotten he had stowed his Bersa .380 handgun in the center console days earlier.

Lol, what an effing Moran! He deserves jail and a fine for actually being that stupid with his handgun. That and going to a different country and not doing his homework.

Carl

BlueStreak
02-03-2014, 03:47 PM
LOL!

Dave

finnbow
02-03-2014, 03:53 PM
Would it have been any different if his wife left a gram of coke in the console? I have no sympathy for the guy. If you can't keep track of your loaded gun, you deserve punishment.

MrPots
02-03-2014, 04:01 PM
I find if difficult to believe he "forgot" he'd left his gun in the car.

Playing stupid rarely works....

icenine
02-03-2014, 04:03 PM
For you non-military people the Sgt Major is an E-9...they are the highest enlisted rank.
These are they guys who are the professional blue-meanies...they follow everyone around making sure your gig-line is straight, you have a haircut and your shoes are shined...the type that gave Robin Williams a hard time in Good Morning Vietnam...

well the guy they arrested could be a nice guy

Zeke
02-03-2014, 04:21 PM
From the article:

"They could have done their homework and looked at his background and seen he's a professional," Engel (defense attorney) said. "They could have accepted the word of his wife and released him on his own recognizance."

And folks wonder about American elitism?

From the Canadian prosecutor: "...when it comes to guns, it's kind of a zero-tolerance policy."

That's sort of the right of a sovereign nation.

Screw 'em.

icenine
02-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Obviously not professional enough to remember where his loaded weapon was located.
Is it me but I think I would remember where I left a weapon.

Tom Joad
02-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Dammitt!

I'm planning a cross country driving trip and I may want to go into Canada. My wife and I already had to fork over $135 each for passports and now I guess it's going to cost me another $25 plus a bunch of red tape because I am not going to go traveling like that without a gun in the car.

Under Canadian law, Americans who want to bring up to three guns across the border must first fill out a form and pay a $25 fee in Canadian dollars. The weapons must be declared at the border post; the form serves as a 60-day gun permit in Canada.

finnbow
02-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Dammitt!

I'm planning a cross country driving trip and I may want to go into Canada. My wife and I already had to fork over $135 each for passports and now I guess it's going to cost me another $25 plus a bunch of red tape because I am not going to go traveling like that without a gun in the car.

They treat pistols different than long arms. Pistols with barrels less than 4" are prohibited, as are assault weapons.

http://canada.usembassy.gov/traveling_to_canada/bringing-weapons-into-canada.html

When they first enacted this law, you could not bring long arms without the red tape and could not bring a handgun in. Period. American sportsmen organized a boycott on hunts in Canada and they changed it to the way it currently is.

Zeke
02-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Dammitt!

If you desire to enter their nation, you'll have to abide by their law.

Why does this -- I'm not singling you out -- seem to only offend Americans?

BlueStreak
02-03-2014, 04:39 PM
My guess is that they were headed into Canada, they knew the gun was illegal, but he just can't stand to be unarmed for any length of time, so he took his chances. If you head into a foreign country knowing what their laws are and violate them anyways, you should face the penalty. Or, if your psychological issues preclude you from being locked-n-loaded everywhere you go, just stay home and hide in the basement-----post your anti-Canadian rants in Back Alley Pub.

Dave

BlueStreak
02-03-2014, 04:45 PM

I've been asking that question for 32 years.

Why do so many Americans rant at visitors and newcomers to this country to "SPEAK AMERICAN!", then go over seas and refuse to make even the slightest attempt to learn the local language?

Because they think they are somehow superior? Could be.

Dave

Oerets
02-03-2014, 04:47 PM
I can testify to the thoroughness of the Canadian Border Patrol. Spent well over a hour bing searched and question at the border. Rainbow Bridge to be exact. Seems a long haired scraggly bearded southern boy with a CCP permit needs the complete look see.

The only thing out of the ordinary was my wife's pepper spray. Confiscated! But still having all your suitcases and car searched could of been done without.

Got all the questions about what when where why on guns and so on. They were just doing their job and we moved on and had a good time while up there.

Barney

finnbow
02-03-2014, 04:49 PM
I've been asking that question for 32 years.

Why do so many Americans rant at visitors and newcomers to this country to "SPEAK AMERICAN!", then go over seas and refuse to make even the slightest attempt to learn the local language?

Because they think they are somehow superior? Could be.

Dave

Ya think? You can't imagine how many "ugly American" stories I have from having lived for 11 years in Europe.

finnbow
02-03-2014, 04:52 PM
I can testify to the thoroughness of the Canadian Border Patrol. Spent well over a hour bing searched and question at the border. Rainbow Bridge to be exact. Seems a long haired scraggly bearded southern boy with a CCP permit needs the complete look see...

I've driven to Canada a bunch of times, mostly to go fishing. The Border Patrol were indeed very thorough and seemed to focus almost exclusively on firearms and booze.

bobabode
02-03-2014, 04:55 PM
My guess is that they were headed into Canada, they knew the gun was illegal, but he just can't stand to be unarmed for any length of time, so he took his chances. If you head into a foreign country knowing what their laws are and violate them anyways, you should face the penalty. Or, if your psychological issues preclude you from being locked-n-loaded everywhere you go, just stay home and hide in the basement-----post your anti-Canadian rants in Back Alley Pub.

Dave

They've let up on the Canucks for the Italians.:rolleyes:

Tom Joad
02-03-2014, 05:35 PM

Cause we're Americans God Dammitt and we're better than everyone else, that's why.

Tom Joad
02-03-2014, 05:41 PM
They treat pistols different than long arms. Pistols with barrels less than 4" are prohibited, as are assault weapons.

Damn, that sucks.

My travel/backbacking gun is a .38 snub.

If I'm planning to go to Canada I'll have to lug around that Goddamned .357 Magnum Hand Cannon of mine.

finnbow
02-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Damn, that sucks.

My travel/backbacking gun is a .38 snub.

If I'm planning to go to Canada I'll have to lug around that Goddamned .357 Magnum Hand Cannon of mine.

Canada is about the last place you'd need a handgun for self-defense (unless you plan on wrestling grizzly bears). In fact, I'm willing to bet that if you shot a prospective assailant there with a handgun that you'd have been far better off getting assaulted than spending a few decades there behind bars. I'm pretty sure that carrying a handgun in public there is forbidden and strictly penalized.

It is effectively illegal to carry concealed handguns in Canada. There is a permit[12] that allows people to carry if they can prove they need to protect their lives under specific circumstances, but the permit is very rarely issued to civilians. The topic of Authorization To Carry (ATC) permits has been a long standing topic of issue among legal firearm owners in Canada. The Canadian Association for Self Defense[13] and the National Firearms Association[14] are lobbying for an amendment to the Canadian Firearms Act to enable law abiding citizens to more easily attain ATC permits

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Canada#Statistics_Canada_data

I'd say either leave your shooting iron at home or don't visit Canada. Same applies to anywhere in Europe, BTW. We're one of they few countries in the civilized world that permit concealed carry of handguns by the Average Joe.

icenine
02-03-2014, 08:04 PM
I would imagine the Sgt Major gave them some attitude.

And being a retired Sgt Major has nothing to do with being a professional. Maybe he thought his CCW permit made him one. That is most likely why the whole thing about CCW is so scary.

Tom Joad
02-04-2014, 05:11 AM
I would imagine the Sgt Major gave them some attitude.

Probably.

I would think you have to raise some kind of red flag to get your vehicle searched.

Maybe his vehicle was plastered with right wing bumper stickers.

I'll have an Obama sticker on mine. They'll probably just wave me through. :D

BlueStreak
02-04-2014, 07:05 AM
They've let up on the Canucks for the Italians.:rolleyes:

Let me guess; Amanda Knox. The Italians should just let her go? Our government should "rescue" her with some sort of stupid Ramboesque Commando raid?:rolleyes:

Dave

BlueStreak
02-04-2014, 07:07 AM
Ya think? You can't imagine how many "ugly American" stories I have from having lived for 11 years in Europe.

Oh, believe me, I know how it is, having been embarrassed by my own half-wit countrymen abroad.

Dave

merrylander
02-04-2014, 07:11 AM
Geez in the 52 years I lived there I never ever felt the need for a handgun, seldom locked dors even.

piece-itpete
02-04-2014, 07:47 AM

Dave

Then why did he ask to turn around?

This whole thing is rude with a capitol R. Way to screw someone border guard authority.

Pete

Tom Joad
02-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Oh, believe me, I know how it is, having been embarrassed by my own half-wit countrymen abroad.

Dave

It happens right here on the internet.

Most of the forums I have been on are infested with ignorant knuckle dragging mouth breathers that are an embarrassment to me as an American.

This forum seems to be better than most. You've only got a handful and the good people seem to keep them in check.

By the way, please do not put me in the same category as these morons because I have a couple of guns. I would gladly live with gun laws like Canada's if we could also have their Health Care System. Universal Health care is the mark of a truly civilized country IMO.

Tom Joad
02-04-2014, 08:05 AM

Dave

He definitely knew better.

I noticed he didn't try to take it on the Army base because he knew that could get him in trouble.

DiNatale, 46, a retired Army sergeant major, says he stored the gun in his wife's car a few days earlier because he didn't want it in his car when he drove onto Ft. Knox, Ky., for a dental appointment.

What this tells me is that he respects the regulations of a US Military Insatllation, but doesn't respect the laws of another nation.

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz359/Dog_of_the_Earth/Bookem.jpg (http://s843.photobucket.com/user/Dog_of_the_Earth/media/Bookem.jpg.html)

icenine
02-04-2014, 09:43 AM
The more I think about it I think the Sgt Major might be fibbing....

most retired military guys probably know where their guns are....if this guy had a CCW that makes it more probably he knew what he had and where it was.

Tom Joad
02-04-2014, 10:37 AM
he just can't stand to be unarmed for any length of time

Most right wing gun nuts are like that.

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz359/Dog_of_the_Earth/linus.jpg (http://s843.photobucket.com/user/Dog_of_the_Earth/media/linus.jpg.html)

bobabode
02-05-2014, 12:42 AM
It happens right here on the internet.

Most of the forums I have been on are infested with ignorant knuckle dragging mouth breathers that are an embarrassment to me as an American.

This forum seems to be better than most. You've only got a handful and the good people seem to keep them in check.

By the way, please do not put me in the same category as these morons because I have a couple of guns. I would gladly live with gun laws like Canada's if we could also have their Health Care System. Universal Health care is the mark of a truly civilized country IMO.

No danger of that. Like MP, Finnbow and Chas, you're a responsible gun owner or so it appears. Hell, this libtard would own a small arsenal if I lived in Florida.
You've got some crazy mofos in that state, I've been there on vacation. I wouldn't stop for gas in south Georgia or N. Florida on my way to Key West (the only civilized town in Fla. imo):D

piece-itpete
02-05-2014, 08:19 AM
So we're all OK with CCW and armed driving?

I don't mind armed driving at all btw. You never know what you'll run into.

I assume nobody here has ever been hassled by the Canadian customs folks. I have, it's the only unpleasant thing I've encountered in Canada. They were dicks. And again, why did he ask to turn around?

Pete

Oerets
02-05-2014, 08:22 AM
So we're all OK with CCW and armed driving?

I don't mind armed driving at all btw. You never know what you'll run into.

I assume nobody here has ever been hassled by the Canadian customs folks. I have, it's the only unpleasant thing I've encountered in Canada. They were dicks. And again, why did he ask to turn around?

Pete

Yes we do have one thing something in common. But I figure they were just doing a job. No telling what they have seen or dealt with. For me I had nothing to worry about but still wished I had put my hair up under my hat!

Barney

merrylander
02-05-2014, 09:11 AM
Yes we do have one thing something in common. But I figure they were just doing a job. No telling what they have seen or dealt with. For me I had nothing to worry about but still wished I had put my hair up under my hat!

Barney

Never had any problems with them, or the American side either.

sheltiedave
02-05-2014, 09:51 AM
He definitely knew better.

I noticed he didn't try to take it on the Army base because he knew that could get him in trouble.

What this tells me is that he respects the regulations of a US Military Insatllation, but doesn't respect the laws of another nation.

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz359/Dog_of_the_Earth/Bookem.jpg (http://s843.photobucket.com/user/Dog_of_the_Earth/media/Bookem.jpg.html)

Thank you, Tom.
DiNatale, 46, a retired Army sergeant major, says he stored the gun in his wife's car a few days earlier because he didn't want it in his car when he drove onto Ft. Knox, Ky., for a dental appointment.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-canada-border-guns-20140203,0,4094271.story#ixzz2sSmEpdWK

Why, you ask, can he not bring a gun onto a military post? Because it is illegal, he will get arrested, and spend time in jail, plus lose his gun. Just like in Canada.