PDA

View Full Version : A connection between Fracking and Drought?

Dondilion
02-06-2014, 05:16 PM
The below article deals with the claim that there is a connection between
Fracking and drought.

There are some intelligent input in the comment section.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/2/6/report-finds-frackingcouldexacerbatewatershortageinmuchofus.htm l

d-ray657
02-06-2014, 05:51 PM
It is beginning to look like the only safe way to reduce carbon emissions is extreme conservation. Given that such extreme measures are unrealistic, what are the options? I started thinking about this again when I heard an interview with former Mayor Bloomberg today. He indicated that we had made serious headway in reducing coal-powered electric plants because of increased natural gas production. Bloomberg is no environmental lightweight, but he didn't mention the cost at which the increased production came.

It seems like there is yin and yang with any environmental measure. The concern for carbon emissions (and gas-powered electric generation is not carbon-free) has shed a different light on the viability of nuclear power generation. But, besides the safety risks, the nuclear waste creates its own set of environmental issues.

Electric cars are being touted as a green option, but how green when we take into account the demand that charging can put on the grid?

Ain't no easy answers kids.

Regards,

D-Ray

BlueStreak
02-06-2014, 07:07 PM
No, there isn't and the longer we futz around with it the worse it's going to be.

finnbow
02-06-2014, 07:22 PM
No, there isn't and the longer we futz around with it the worse it's going to be.

Yeh, but even the gung-ho anti-global warming Europeans have acknowledged the current reality and backed off their aggressive programs.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-climate-change-eu-european-union-20140128,0,1215111.story

4-2-7
02-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Well if we stop all this crazy global trade we would conserve tons of energy.

Some of it is just absurd. I live in California and I can't get fruits and vegetables grown here. We get ours from Mexico! WTF. Why not let the region utilize what they have before shipping the same thing back and forth.

BlueStreak
02-06-2014, 07:56 PM

Some of it is just absurd. I live in California and I can't get fruits and vegetables grown here. We get ours from Mexico! WTF. Why not let the region utilize what they have before shipping the same thing back and forth.

Profit margins and the free market. If it's cheaper to grow in another country and import it, that's what they will do. It's not that it can't be done, it's that everyone refuses to pay for it. Everyone wants cheap produce and every producer expects to become a billionaire growing grapes. And, of course, we peasants expect good jobs with strong wages and all the bennies......:rolleyes:

The shame of it is that California grows some of the most wonderful fruit and veggies on earth.:)

Dave

4-2-7
02-06-2014, 08:12 PM
Profit margins and the free market. If it's cheaper to grow in another country and import it, that's what they will do. It's not that it can't be done, it's that everyone refuses to pay for it. Everyone wants cheap produce and every producer expects to become a billionaire growing grapes. And, of course, we peasants expect good jobs with strong wages and all the bennies......:rolleyes:

The shame of it is that California grows some of the most wonderful fruit and veggies on earth.:)

Dave

Can't even get a pear anymore that will turn yellow and sweet.
Who the hell is getting our fruit! We end up with the goofy fruits instead. Well when gas starts costing too much do to low levels maybe regons can enjoy their goods.

But what a waste of energy..

bobabode
02-06-2014, 08:29 PM

Which part of California are you in? I'm down in Orange county, home of the tea drenched :rolleyes:. Used to live in the South Bay, Redondo Beach. Born in LA and grew up near USC.

finnbow
02-06-2014, 08:35 PM

That's odd. Most of the veggies in our grocery stores come from California (unfortunately).

bobabode
02-06-2014, 08:53 PM
That's odd. Most of the veggies in our grocery stores come from California (unfortunately).

No more artichokes for you Pat. ;)

Dondilion
02-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Damn! I did not realize that so much water is used in this process.

The awful part is the water becomes undrinkable even if "scrubbed".

finnbow
02-06-2014, 09:05 PM
No more artichokes for you Pat. ;)

I say unfortunately because even in the summer (when Maryland's Eastern Shore has some awesome produce), the big chain stores still have California fruits and vegetables picked unripe and shipped across country. They'll ship those tasteless things you guys call cantaloupes here when the Eastern Shore cantaloupes may be the best in the country. Same goes for tomatoes, peaches, etc. Thankfully, we live in a rural setting with abundant farm stands.

Actually, my observation applies to a lot of American foodstuffs. Factory-farmed to be consistent in appearance and easy to ship, but tasteless. This applies not only to fruits and veggies, but to things like pork and chicken, even potatoes. I remember when my son was about to move to Germany, I told him to get ready for some delicious pork, far better than anything he'd tasted here. He was initially skeptical, but reported than pork and chicken there were flavorful and moist unlike most of what we get. He even remarked on the potatoes having a pronounced flavor.

barbara
02-06-2014, 09:06 PM

Those veggies come from my neck of the woods.

The fruit, too.

But if they keep giving our water to those hollywood types in the south who need to fill their fancy pools, there won't be any fruits or veggies for anyone.

finnbow
02-06-2014, 09:08 PM
Those veggies come from my neck of the woods.

The fruit, too.

But if they keep giving our water to those hollywood types in the south who need to fill their fancy pools, there won't be any fruits or veggies for anyone.

During my travels in California, Oregon, Washington and Arizona, the local produce tastes pretty good there. It's not remotely the same when picked unripe and shipped 3,000 miles.

bobabode
02-06-2014, 09:09 PM
Damn! I did not realize that so much water is used in this process.

The awful part is the water becomes undrinkable even if "scrubbed".

The bitch of it is we don't know what the frackers are putting in that water that they use due to the Halliburton rule. It's all proprietary information.

barbara
02-06-2014, 09:15 PM
During my travels in California, Oregon, Washington and Arizona, the local produce tastes pretty good there. It's not remotely the same when picked unripe and shipped 3,000 miles.

Yep...

As an aside..... My son's job is cleaning pools and at one place, they grow avocados and he was told to help himself. Another plAce he cleans pools has kiwi growing.... Again, he is told to help himself. He also cleans pools for the apple rancher and a couple of wineries. He has been bringing home good stuff all through the growing season. :)

bobabode
02-06-2014, 09:15 PM

Yep. Farmer's markets are the place to buy produce. We have given up on cantalopes from the grocery store, too. Big Agra is the worst idea we've come up with. Even the eggs suck.
I remember the sweet Maryland corn and the apples to the north of you. The cider wasn't too bad either. ;)

finnbow
02-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Yep. Farmer's markets are the place to buy produce. We have given up on cantalopes from the grocery store, too. Big Agra is the worst idea we've come up with. Even the eggs suck.
I remember the sweet Maryland corn and the apples to the north of you. The cider wasn't too bad either. ;)

Our sweet corn is a thing of wonder. An old girlfriend of mine was from near Le Sueur, MN, Minnesota (home of Green Giant corn) and used to brag about how the sweet corn there was the best in the world. Then she tried some Maryland Eastern Shore sweet corn. Though it shattered her Midwestern pride, she was a convert.

bobabode
02-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Yep...

As an aside..... My son's job is cleaning pools and at one place, they grow avocados and he was told to help himself. Another plAce he cleans pools has kiwi growing.... Again, he is told to help himself. He also cleans pools for the apple rancher and a couple of wineries. He has been bringing home good stuff all through the growing season. :)

That reminds me, time to see how those avocado trees are doing on one of my clients' properties in old Santa Ana. The house was built in 1877 and I have carte blanche to pick as many avocados as I'd like. One tree is an original Hass cutting and the other is a Fuerte type, both over 100 years old. I'll need my 24 ft extension ladder just to get close to them. Yum!!

Oerets
02-06-2014, 09:41 PM
It's to late guys! The time for the people wake up to the mess was back in the sixties. Nobody was wanting to listen then or now really. To much hard work, humans have to be pushed to make sacrifices.

Barney

PS... I have no idea where my food comes from. I have a wife who does all the cooking and shopping.

finnbow
02-06-2014, 09:47 PM
That reminds me, time to see how those avocado trees are doing on one of my clients' properties in old Santa Ana. The house was built in 1877 and I have carte blanche to pick as many avocados as I'd like. One tree is an original Hass cutting and the other is a Fuerte type, both over 100 years old. I'll need my 24 ft extension ladder just to get close to them. Yum!!

I saw a show on TV about California's avocados (and the threat from the drought) and was surprised to learn that they too are picked unripe and gassed with ethylene gas.

Dondilion
02-06-2014, 10:08 PM
The bitch of it is we don't know what the frackers are putting in that water that they use due to the Halliburton rule. It's all proprietary information.

Ouch! I forgot those guys wrote the rules. :eek:

4-2-7
02-06-2014, 11:08 PM

Ya and thats my point. The fruit is picked way to early and never ripens or rots for the 3000 mile trip.

bobabode
02-06-2014, 11:35 PM
What part of Cali are you in 427? If you don't mind me asking.

merrylander
02-07-2014, 08:34 AM
What they have found is that in this time of high fuel costs the truckers do not run the refridgeration units full time. So now when you but produce in eastern markets you had best eat it in the parking lot because it will be rotten before you get it home.

4-2-7
02-07-2014, 09:43 AM
What part of Cali are you in 427? If you don't mind me asking.

Native Californian born and raised on the San Francisco Peninsula. By two parents that were born and raised in SF.

icenine
02-07-2014, 09:46 AM

consider the source

the same guy who wants to stop global trade

think about it

finnbow
02-07-2014, 09:50 AM
consider the source

the same guy who wants to stop global trade

think about it

Say what??? All I'm saying is that California produce sucks by the time it gets here. Nothing more, nothing less.

4-2-7
02-07-2014, 09:56 AM
Say what??? All I'm saying is that California produce sucks by the time it gets here. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yep:cool:

And I thought I was the one that bought up Global Trade is wasting energy? :confused:

icenine
02-07-2014, 10:03 AM

i meant 13 lol

4-2-7
02-07-2014, 10:12 AM
i meant 13 lol

By the way adding my member name is wrong!

Can't you see you need to subtract?

barbara
02-07-2014, 03:14 PM
By the way adding my member name is wrong!

Can't you see you need to subtract?

-5 does seem to fit a little better ;)

bobabode
02-07-2014, 03:21 PM
zing! :d

Oerets
02-07-2014, 03:22 PM
-5 does seem to fit a little better ;)

Home school'd math?

Barney

barbara
02-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Home school'd math?

Barney

Meye spelin is evn betr. ;)

merrylander
02-08-2014, 02:29 PM
We could always go back to the thirties where if you wanted tomatoes in winter you had better have canned them in the fall. We used freeze about forty of fifty quarts of tomato sauce until global trade brought us the stink bug. They simply made having a kitchen garden pointless so I seeded what part the carriage house does not cover

4-2-7
02-09-2014, 12:13 AM
We could always go back to the thirties where if you wanted tomatoes in winter you had better have canned them in the fall. We used freeze about forty of fifty quarts of tomato sauce until global trade brought us the stink bug. They simply made having a kitchen garden pointless so I seeded what part the carriage house does not cover

I still cook and freeze tomato sauce, soups and all sorts of cooking.

bobabode
02-10-2014, 09:08 PM
So, what are your thoughts on global warming, specifically anthropogenic climate change 427?