PDA

View Full Version : A Certain Sign of the Apocalypse

finnbow
01-02-2010, 03:00 PM
A Gallup poll (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/01/AR2010010101371.html?hpid=opinionsbox1) finds that Glenn Beck is more highly admired than the Pope and other notables.:eek:

What does mean for our republic?

BlueStreak
01-02-2010, 03:25 PM
It proves that if you tell them what they want to hear, they'll love you for it.
Even if it is a load of absolute bullshit.

"When they break out the brass bands and start waving flags around and telling people
you don't love your country if you don't go along with the scapegoating and everything else....that's when they're up to no damn good."-----
Tili Darak, (I think I spelled that right.), she was our neighbor and a Holocaust survivor. Hungarian, I believe.

Dave

Boreas
01-02-2010, 03:41 PM
It proves that if you tell them what they want to hear, they'll love you for it.

Dave, it's worse than that, going beyond just telling people what they want to hear. Beck tells people whom to hate and whom to fear. He's a truly dangerous person who appeals to the very worst in people and he does it for the most cynical of reasons, power and financial gain.

John

Charles
01-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Yeah, the apocalypse of the Democrats in 2010!!!!!

Chas

Boreas
01-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Yeah, the apocalypse of the Democrats in 2010!!!!!

Chas

Yes, for the Republicans, no price is too high for them to regain power.......... as long as someone else has to pay it.

John

Charles
01-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Yes, for the Republicans, no price is too high for them to regain power.......... as long as someone else has to pay it.

John

And the Democrats are better?

Chas

Boreas
01-02-2010, 07:34 PM
And the Democrats are better?

Chas

Yes, I believe so. You might be able to convince me otherwise if you could come up with Democratic analogs for Carl Rove, Glenn Beck, Michael Savage or Newt Gingrich.

John

Charles
01-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Yes, I believe so. You might be able to convince me otherwise if you could come up with Democratic analogs for Carl Rove, Glenn Beck, Michael Savage or Newt Gingrich.

John

David Axelrod, Rahm Emaunel, Harry Reid, Bill Maher, I could go on, but it's pointless.

I tend to like the Republicans a little better, but to be honest, neither side shows me much.

Chas

Boreas
01-02-2010, 08:35 PM
David Axelrod, Rahm Emaunel, Harry Reid, Bill Maher, I could go on, but it's pointless.

Yes, I suppose it's pointless for either of us but I'll just say that I believe the people I mentioned are blatant purveyors of fear, hate and intolerance. I don't think you can honestly say that about any of the people you mentioned, not even Maher.

John

Charles
01-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Yes, I suppose it's pointless for either of us but I'll just say that I believe the people I mentioned are blatant purveyors of fear, hate and intolerance. I don't think you can honestly say that about any of the people you mentioned, not even Maher.

John

Well, I didn't think they were quite THAT bad, but I respect your opinion, although I don't exactly agree with it.

Oh well, it's just the nature of things.

Chas

Grumpy
01-03-2010, 06:45 AM
Never been a big fan of either but holy ( bad pun ) cow, somethings wrong here.

noonereal
01-03-2010, 07:08 AM
A Gallup poll (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/01/AR2010010101371.html?hpid=opinionsbox1) finds that Glenn Beck is more highly admired than the Pope and other notables.:eek:

What does mean for our republic?

It means we are a sociaty of uneducated buffoons.

noonereal
01-03-2010, 07:19 AM
Well, I didn't think they were quite THAT bad, but I respect your opinion, although I don't exactly agree with it.

Oh well, it's just the nature of things.

Chas

Nothing natural about Rove and his demon seed.

merrylander
01-03-2010, 07:39 AM
I seem to recall something from the Bible about living by the sword . . . I guess Republicans are OK but I would not want my sister to marry one.

doucanoe
01-03-2010, 07:49 AM
It means we are a sociaty of uneducated buffoons.

I love this!

May I use it?

RC

noonereal
01-03-2010, 08:15 AM
I love this!

May I use it?

RC

oh a wise guy from the spelling police. :rolleyes:

Got it.

doucanoe
01-03-2010, 08:25 AM
oh a wise guy from the spelling police. :rolleyes:

Got it.

Spelling police, hardly :rolleyes: I have to run spell check so often over here I think I have broke it.

You have to admit it was funny though. Irony is like that sometimes :D

RC

noonereal
01-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Spelling police, hardly :rolleyes: I have to run spell check so often over here I think I have broke it.

You have to admit it was funny though. Irony is like that sometimes :D

RC

I don't have to admit nothin'.

:cool:

doucanoe
01-03-2010, 08:31 AM
OK then.

noonereal
01-03-2010, 08:31 AM
:rolleyes:

maybe being raised on these had an affect on me?

http://davidbuckenglish.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/grammar_crackers_large.093807.gif

doucanoe
01-03-2010, 08:39 AM
They are tasty!

Charles
01-03-2010, 09:01 AM

http://davidbuckenglish.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/grammar_crackers_large.093807.gif

It shows!!!!!

"Grin"!!!!!!!

Chas

noonereal
01-03-2010, 09:03 AM
It shows!!!!!

"Grin"!!!!!!!

Chas

:o I know.

Writewing
01-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Dave, it's worse than that, going beyond just telling people what they want to hear. Beck tells people whom to hate and whom to fear. He's a truly dangerous person who appeals to the very worst in people and he does it for the most cynical of reasons, power and financial gain.

John

The only difference between Beck and Olberman is what color tie they prefer, they both do the exact same thing.

noonereal
01-06-2010, 06:12 AM
The only difference between Beck and Olberman is what color tie they prefer, they both do the exact same thing.

How does that justify either?

What is curious however is how the right loves to hear this stuff and the left mostly turns in disgust.
I don't there is a lib on this forum that can stand Oberman or Beck.
I believe all the wing nuts love beck. Why?

merrylander
01-06-2010, 08:01 AM
I have never watched either so I cannot speak to Olberman, but if the papers are right about some of the statements Beck has made he flat out lies through his teeth.

d-ray657
01-06-2010, 11:06 AM

You want the grammar police too? :p Those things might have affected you, but ultimately they had an effect on you. Sorry, I'm in smartass mode right now. :rolleyes:

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
01-06-2010, 04:52 PM
You want the grammar police too? :p Those things might have affected you, but ultimately they had an effect on you. Sorry, I'm in smartass mode right now. :rolleyes:

Regards,

D-Ray

Another wise assed lawyer trying to show how smart he is!!!!

Chas

d-ray657
01-06-2010, 07:16 PM

Chas

But we don't even have to try to show what asses we are.:p Anybody know where I can find a nice pair of tasseled loafers?

Regards,

D-Ray

noonereal
01-06-2010, 08:40 PM

Chas

I like Dave or I would have responded with my views on the grammar and spelling police on message boards. ;)

BTW, it is correct if something had an affect on you.
Not the same as when you feel the effects of something.
NO?

d-ray657
01-06-2010, 10:58 PM
I like Dave or I would have responded with my views on the grammar and spelling police on message boards. ;)

NO?

No.

A medical term my wife uses is "affect" - to describe one's demeanor or emotional state. Hope this helps.

Regards, D-Ray

af⋅fect
1  /v. əˈfɛkt; n. ˈæfɛkt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [v. uh-fekt; n. af-ekt]
–verb (used with object)
1. to act on; produce an effect or change in: Cold weather affected the crops.
2. to impress the mind or move the feelings of: The music affected him deeply.
3. (of pain, disease, etc.) to attack or lay hold of.
–noun
4. Psychology. feeling or emotion.
5. Psychiatry. an expressed or observed emotional response: Restricted, flat, or blunted affect may be a symptom of mental illness, especially schizophrenia.
6. Obsolete. affection; passion; sensation; inclination; inward disposition or feeling.
Origin:
1350–1400; ME < L affectus acted upon, subjected to; mental or emotional state (ptp. and action n. of afficere), equiv. to af- af- + fec- (comb. form of facere to make, do) + -tus action n. suffix or -tus ptp. suffix

Related forms:
af⋅fect⋅a⋅ble, adjective
af⋅fect⋅a⋅bil⋅i⋅ty, noun

Synonyms:
1. influence, sway; modify, alter. 2. touch, stir.

Usage note:
Affect1 and effect, each both noun and verb, share the sense of “influence,” and because of their similarity in pronunciation are sometimes confused in writing. As a verb affect1 means “to act on” or “to move” (His words affected the crowd so deeply that many wept); affect2 means “to pretend” or “to assume” (new students affecting a nonchalance they didn't feel). The verb effect means “to bring about, accomplish”: Her administration effected radical changes. The noun effect means “result, consequence”: the serious effects of the oil spill. The noun affect1 pronounced with the stress on the first syllable, is a technical term in psychology and psychiatry. Affect2 is not used as a noun.

merrylander
01-07-2010, 07:37 AM
No shit?:D

noonereal
01-07-2010, 08:06 AM
No.

1. to act on; produce an effect or change in: Cold weather affected the crops.

Cold weather affected the crops

<<<<<<<BTW, it is correct if something had an affect on you.>>>>>>>>>

what am I missing?

HatchetJack
01-07-2010, 08:09 AM
D-ray, did you have an energy drink before that post?

noonereal
01-07-2010, 08:23 AM
He should of grabbed a drink from Chas' fridge, the post would have been more useful. :p

Sandy G
01-07-2010, 10:24 AM
"Should HAVE", not "Should OF".....Gawdamighty, don't you Hi-Falutin' Rootin-Tootins know NUTHIN ?!? Here I is, a dumbass inbred hillbilly peckerwood, tryin' to learn yas how to talk...(grin)

noonereal
01-07-2010, 10:32 AM
"Should HAVE", not "Should OF".....Gawdamighty, don't you Hi-Falutin' Rootin-Tootins know NUTHIN ?!? Here I is, a dumbass inbred hillbilly peckerwood, tryin' to learn yas how to talk...(grin)

and we appreciate your time and efforts in these regards

d-ray657
01-08-2010, 12:10 AM
D-ray, did you have an energy drink before that post?

Heck no - cut and paste. Matter of fact, I was on my second day of three hours sleep.

And Noon - By saying something had an affect, you are making "affect" a noun. The appropriate noun to use to describe that concept is "effect." The only time "affect" is used as a noun it has a different pronunciation and a different meaning - demeanor or mood. The only reason I say that with such confidence is because the two are easy to confuse so I have paid particular attention to them to avoid misuse in a formal document.

Regards,

D-Ray

Grumpy
01-08-2010, 06:31 AM
Heck no - cut and paste. Matter of fact, I was on my second day of three hours sleep.

And Noon - By saying something had an affect, you are making "affect" a noun. The appropriate noun to use to describe that concept is "effect." The only time "affect" is used as a noun it has a different pronunciation and a different meaning - demeanor or mood. The only reason I say that with such confidence is because the two are easy to confuse so I have paid particular attention to them to avoid misuse in a formal document.

Regards,

D-Ray

Awe shit, spelling nazi alert ! Ok not really. At least you were polite about it. :)

Knew I liked this site for a reason lol

Charles
01-08-2010, 07:46 AM

Regards,

D-Ray

Kind Sir,

I do appreciate you devoting some time from your busy schedule in an effort to explain the proper usage of the King's English. I, for one, have learned a great deal.

Unfortunately, I have already forgot it. Happens to me all of the time.

BTW, good luck on your upcoming trial.

Chas

noonereal
01-08-2010, 08:50 AM

Well, you may as well get used to how I use it. I ain't changing, change the damn book. AT least I know South Africa is a country not a continent, but I ain't running for vice President so I guess it does not matter.

JJIII
01-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Well, you may as well get used to how I use it. I ain't changing, change the damn book. AT least I know South Africa is a country not a continent, but I ain't running for vice President so I guess it does not matter.

Yeah, I know I'm being a smart-ass... but what else do you know you are wrong about and refuse to change? :)

d-ray657
01-08-2010, 09:14 PM

Isn't South America a country too? And what's the deal with South Dakota and West Virginia. Are they states or suburbs? I think South Carolina where North Carolina stores all of its Klan members. New Mexico is a state, but what is New England? Washington State is a lot bigger than Washington, D.C, but D.C. gets all of the attention. I'm so confused, I'm just gonna go to bed. Been up since yesterday morning - these all nighters start to get to my head.

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
01-10-2010, 02:04 PM

NO?

Are you saying that feeling the effects of something possibly has an affect on one?

Wow Man, this King's English stuff is really heavy!!! All of this thinking and stuff is like making my head hurt!!!

I think I need a short one, just to dull the pain, ya know?

Chas

noonereal
01-10-2010, 02:08 PM
I envy you.

Got to drag the kid off to soccer latter so I can't have any "medicine" today.:mad:

Charles
01-10-2010, 02:21 PM
I envy you.

Got to drag the kid off to soccer latter so I can't have any "medicine" today.:mad:

Well, I have to go to the bank and the post office and do at least one bid. Kind of puts a crimp in my fun also.

Oh well, the quicker I get it done, the quicker I can have a short one.

Chas